Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,455 | Ratings: 13,854
4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Copper orange appearance, not much for a head but has a nice thick ring. Aroma of luscious orange hops, sweet and citrusy. Taste is mildly sweet, with more orange/citrus flavor and lightly spicy hops, a bit tangy. Bitterness is subdued, making it mostly a sweeter IPA, but very nice. Medium thick, good coating ability, nice light carbonation present. I would drink this all day long. Thanks Archer Liquors...

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

What a hidden treasure! When I describe this beer as a hidden treasure I am referring to the fact that I kept reaching for other beers for the last few weeks before I decided to try this beer. To me this beer embodies the characteristics of a wonderful IPA, I would rank this as an all time favorite IPA.

Appearance:
The beer poured into the pint glass with a meringue head. The original inch of head diffused until there was a quarter of inch leaving artistic lacing patterns around my glass. The color of the beer seems to be a straw with a beech tone.

Smell:
The floral spiciness that is followed by the rich grapefruit hops aroma is captivating.

Taste:
Very enjoyable as you roll the beer over the tongue dispersing the spicy tanginess.

Mouthfeel:
The carbonation seems to spread the beer throughout the crevices of my mouth as the hops revitalize the taste buds. You must be prepared for this beer, some might find this as unpleasant.

Drinkability:
This is one drinkable beer. I would gladly buy more of this beer and enjoy it when I am looking for a really solid IPA to sooth my hoppy cravings. What a great beer.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a regular pint glass. As a big IPA fan I've heard a lot of this beer and was eager to try it. Was not disappointed. A great beer that isn't as strong as competitors but still finishes strong.

Appearance: Most certainly strong with a look darker than most IPAs but with the sill strong finger of carbonation. Looks are still gorgeous as one could imagine from an IPA. Darker than the usual bronze.

Smell: Honestly one of the most forgettable parts of the IPA, but still excellent.

Taste: Incredibly smooth while still retaining the amazing hop flavor. Citrus, some malts, and pine are around. There are better tasting IPAs available but not many. Still a great choice.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth. Extremely solid beer from start to finish that should leave the IPA beersman happy.

Overall: An excellent example of the IPA style. A great beer for someone to try to get into the IPAs.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

(Bottle into Semi-Chilled Pint Glass)

Appearance: Light Orange Hue with Full and Lasting Cream-Colored Head--Clouding a Bit Upon Pouring in the Last of the Sediment. Thick Lace.

Smell: Delicious Floral Scents of Fresh Hops (Grassy/Piney)

Taste: Great Balance Between Underlying 'Bready' Maltiness and its Predominant Earthy Hop Character.

Mouthfeel: Medium-Bodied, Quite Smooth with a Semi-Clean Finish. Perfect Carbonation.

Drinkability: Its Freshness and Smoothness Make This One to Enjoy Over and Over Again. 7% ABV Also Makes for a Cool Buzz.

Other: Very Impressed, a Must Try for any Hop-Head!

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Recently scored this from a friend returning from MN. This one took me by surprise, as one new to Bell's I was not sure what to expect.

The appearance was slightly hazy with a light amber hue.
The thing that really surprised me about this beer was the smell. It reminded me of the sweet piney aroma of a DIPA but in a very drinkable single IPA.
The taste was unfortunately not as nice as the aroma suggested, it felt a little unbalanced to me possibly in the malt department.
This is my ideal summer beer

UPDATE:
After having this beer a few more times from my initial tasting almost a year ago, I have a completely different view of it. I realize now I was being overly critical of this beer especially when it came to the malts used. I think I was looking at Two Hearted Ale as a DIPA when I should have been looking at it as it truly is; a beautifully clean and satisfying IPA with an excellent balance of bitterness and floralness. I have to say this is one of my favorite beers now and most certainly my favorite IPA. Too bad for me I can only get it when my roommate goes home.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: cloudy orange/gold with a one inch head and big carbonation

Smell: hops-grapefruit, and citrus

Taste: Based off of the smell, I was thinking this was going to be a hop bomb. The taste is really complex however. Hops do shine through, but it is balanced by malt and fruit. I get tastes of honey, honeydew melon, sweet fruit like orange and pineapple..Just a wonderful taste.

Mouthfeel: very smooth, sweet with a small bitter hoppy aftertaste

Drinkability: This is a very balanced beer and firmly has me as a Bells convert. To me this does to IPAs what their Amber did to ambers. I love this beer. The highish ABV is masked, but I could otherwise drink these as a session.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to dschuster03 for this extra!

Pours a slightly cloudy peachy orange with a good fluffy white head. Pretty good lace. Nose is of good citrus hop flavor and a little bit of spice. Taste is very very refreshing. A good display of grapefruity citrus hops, some good hop flavor throughout, but a nice malt backbone. This one leans on the hops side (duh) but they are not overpowering. A little extra carbonation helps this beer seem more crisp and refreshing. Drinkability is as good as I have ever found in an IPA. Overall this is a fantastic IPA. Defenitely a good summer beer, incredibly refreshing with lots of good flavor. A fantastic brew, from a fantastic brewing co. I really wish I had some more of this, because I am finding it very hard not to slam this beer. This would defenitley be a go to session beer if it was available here in Alaska. A great IPA.

Edit: Procured a case of this (thanks boralyl) and I think this may be the best session beer ever made.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass and produced a huge, soft, foamy head. It kept a nice thin layer until finished and when I was done the entire glass was coated in sticky lacing.

Citrus hops and a slight sweet malt in the nose with slight hints of floral and pine hops. The smell is a very fresh balance of all kinds of wonderful hops.

It tastes just like it smells, delicious. The bitter finish is well done and leaves a near perfect aftertaste that is typical of a quality IPA.

Mouthfeel is clean, fresh, and crisp. The body is actually light, which...

Makes this an extremely drinkable IPA. In fact, one of the most drinkable I've had. The 7% abv is flat out shocking to me and can't be detected at all.

That's one damn fine IPA.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Pre-drink confession: This is probably the eight or ninth time I've tried this. I've just always forgotten to review because I was too busy being happy. Anyways, poured into a pint glass:

A - Pours a nice, shiny gold with a 1-finger head, white and sustaining. I might need a crystal ball to see through the haze, but there's nice carbonation and sticky, sticky lacing on the way down. Good look about it.

S - Fruity and floral hops with a nice, sweet malt. All of the grounds are covered. Even a pleasant bread scent to go along with it. Really... I want to say balanced nose on this one.

T - Really complex brew, I have to say. Kind of follows the nose, with the citrus flavors showing up first. It's almost tart, but before it becomes too much, the taste melts into a pinier stage than before. They didn't bother trying to cover up the alcohol, which normally would bother me, but it somehow cancels out any sharpness from the other flavors. Gosh... this is just excellent.

M - Smooth, medium body that just flows right down the throat. Carbonation is spot-on. What I'd expect from an IPA!

D - Sometimes I have to remind myself that I can only spend so much on beer at a time. This is yet another beer that forces me to hesitate. High marks.

Overall/notes - I can't say too much here. I've had this on-tap and in the bottle, and both are extremely delicious. Much better than their Pale Ale. Certainly ranks among the best IPAs I've had so far. Going to kick back and watch a movie with a second one!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

A: Slightly hazy orange-red color. Thick head that retains well. Thick lacing on side of glass.

S: Pleasant and sweet! Nice citrus hoppy smell.

T: Sweet smell carries over into taste. To me this is not a bitter ipa. I get none of the grapefruit bitterness that I am coming to expect from an American ipa. Very smooth tasting. Nice balance between hops and malts, that really goes down way too easily. Finally getting the bitterness half way through the glass.

M: Medium body, with slight carbonation. Creamy.

D: Definite!

I think that this beer is the best balance that I have seen between a traditional ipa and heavy hopped West Coast ipa. So far to me, it is the ultimate in regards to drinkability as far as American ipa's go.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a hazy dark orange with a slight white head that fades quickly. The smell of this beer is original, like nothing else I have encountered. Full of fruity, not so much citrus as actual fruit smells and a great deal of hops. A full character just from the smell. The taste does not disappoint. I am not an avid IPA drinker but this one is tops in my book. A full body of flavors and characters revisiting the smells. I didn't like the overpowering carbonated feel, taking away from the mouthfeel and overall drinkability. I would recommend this brew to all IPA fans, this brew is better than most IPAs. Enjoy!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance: A hazy golden-orange body capped by about two fingers of densely-packed off-white head that fades slowly and leaves brilliant lacing.

Aroma: Lots of juicy, citrusy, and slightly leafy hops over a caramel malt body. It sounds strange, but I get shades or fresh orange juice from time to time.

Flavor: Up front, the mildly bitter hops lead the charge and are again juicy, citrusy, and a little leafy. Underneath, there's a solid biscuity malt body keeping everything grounded. It's balanced rather nicely, though the focus is (rightly) on the hops. That moderately-high alcohol content is totally masked. Biscuity malt and juicy in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a drying finish.

Drinkability: This goes back without any issue whatsoever, and would probably make a great session choice if it wasn't for the slightly beefy alcohol content.

Verdict: It's clear why Two Hearted has built such a great reputation; this is just a straightforward, well-crafted, and satisfying American IPA. After this introduction to Bell's I can't wait to try another of their beers.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Shared with some friends while homebrewing. Pours a very light and clean orange color with a nearly white head.

Sweetness dominates the nose. Pineapple and grapefruit take center stage, with a good floral aroma in place in the back. The taste is refreshing citrus. There is also a floral hop character and only mild bitterness to finish it. This is an awesomely mild IPA.

The mouthfeel is fairly light, if not a little oily. However, I think I could drink these all night. A fantastic brew.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

The American India Pale Ale, or American-Style India Pale Ale has become one of the most popular, widespread, and brewed beers in North America. The rich pale malt backbone found in the depths of an aromatically bitter and hop-crisp beer has enchanted people all across the continent. There is only one problem with this - there are probably close to 1,800 breweries in NA, and there are probably about 2,000 different Pale Ales! The Pale Ale craze is becoming a bit overwhelming; whether it is an IPA, Pale Ale, American version or a hybrid, there are just too many pale ales out there.

So what's a beer lover to do!? Well, obviously taste them all and find your favorites. Because that may take to long, I'm going to start you off in the right direction with one of the most well rounded and best constructed American IPA's on the planet. The Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Too many pales are either one sided, to aggressively hopped, not hopped enough, or are poorly built. The Two Hearted Ale is at the top of my list because it hits all the right notes in perfect harmony. It doesn't get carried away with this or that, it is just plain good.

Don't let the fish on the label or the awkward name sway you away from this beer. The Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo MI has been brewing some of America's best craft beer for 25 years. They are one of the staples of Craft Beer in the North East United States, and produce masterfully crafted beers all year round. Just this year they began a $52 million expansion plan on the brewery!

The Two Hearted Ale comes in a 355ml bottle at 7% abv. I opened it cool around 8C (45F) and poured it into a stemmed beer glass. The pour was gentle and smooth showing only hints of life as the beer crashed into itself. Quickly though a rumbling of white foam began to collide with the glowing amber golden beer and a lush and pillowy ivory white head was build close to 2 inches above the beer. It showed a smattering of tight and loose carbonation with sturdy bubbles and great retention. The beer was a beautiful sight, glowing a golden orange hue with copper and straw colors beaming through it. Bright shades of orange and apricot peer from every angle of the beer. Lightly opaque, but perfectly clean it was a masterful creation.

This beer has been build exclusively with Centennial hops from the Pacific Northwest, and if you take a deep breath of this beer you will understand exactly what this hop variety stands for. Big floral aromas of spice, pine and citrus perfume out of the beer cleanly and effortlessly. Smooth pale malts show creamy and soft malt character, hints of caramel sweetness and gentle warmth. The hops are the big winner here though with bright earth, grapefruit, lemon zest and fresh aromas. It is hugely aromatic and perfectly clean.

Thankfully, and without disappointment the mouthfeel and flavor reflect the nose perfectly! The first smooth and creamy rush of Two Hearted glides over your tongue and cheeks enlightening your senses with the fresh and lively flavors of centennial hops. Zesty fresh grapefruit, lemons, pine needles and earthy fields bring a quenching and massively refreshing crisp spice to your palate. It is perfect.

Pale mats are gentle but deep enough to provide the perfect backbone to this beer. Sweet candied caramel and zesty candy fruits are packed in the center of this beer allowing the fresh bitterness to play without being overwhelming. The sweet and crisp sensations of freshly squeezed grapefruits power into your palate with a tight and floral flavor that force your palate into refreshing submission. Again, pine and earth balance off the citrus and herbal flowers make a triumphant finish.

The smooth and lightly carbonated mouthfeel balances off the beer rightly, and shows soft creaminess and a touch of crackle. The end of this beer is again, a masterpiece. It is quick and agile, finishing with fresh quenches and sweet spicy notes of citrus and earth. Pale malts again sweeten out the end and round off a beer that is maybe perfectly built. That is the real power of the Two Hearted - it is one of the most balanced, best constructed, and most easily consumable Pale Ales on the planet. And it is available in 6-packs year round.

Pics at: http://wp.me/pNKWo-1hr

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

This has become my go-to IPA over the past couple years and I figure its time I got around to reviewing it.

Appearance is healthy looking golden/straw hue with a slight white head. Lacing and carbonation evident.

Smell is wonderful, lots of citrus/fruit/pine. Nothing subtle about the smell and thats fine by me. Taste goes pretty hand in hand with the smell.... finishes pretty dry, no sense of alcohol to be had. If I were to make a point of differentiation between this and my other favorite IPA's, I'd say that while a lot of my favorite west coast IPA's are hoppy with a fruity undercurrent, this is fruity with a hoppy undercurrent. Just a very unique and pleasant tasting IPA.

Moutfeel is creamy as opposed to crisp, a little syrupy in the aftertaste. Very drinkable though. Doesn't feel heavy and just tastes so freakin good that you don't want to stop drinking it. If you like IPA's you must drink this beer.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Light golden hue w/ slight haze, topped by a creamy, cappachino like, sticky ivory white head. Trails of Belgian lace. Delectable combination of assertively citrusy hops, light caramel and mild tart fruity esters in aroma lend a vibrant, but rounded tangerine overtone. Crisp, sharp, hop bitterness hits the palate initially, then yields to citrus rind hop flavor w/ a distinct grapefruit note. Malt and yeast derived character is overshadowed by the strong hop profile, but notes of dextrinous light caramel and pearish tartness from Bell's yeast strain can be discerned. Well attenuated, dryish body. Finishes a lingering impression of lightly sugared pink grapefruit. Two Hearted is a delicious vehicle for Centennials. Malt is not showcased at all in this brew, yet manages to adequately support the assertive hopping. Superbly drinkable-- not unlike spiked carbonated grapefruit juice... but in a great way. Very unique. Would be an American classic if distributed more widely.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

A- Pours out a hazy orange-brown with a two finger head. The head is white and very foamy and sits with good retention. The whipped cream foam dies down slowly and allows me to sip. It simultaneously leaves a thick coat of lacing behind on the walls of the glass. Bell's makes some good looking beer.

S- From what I have found, Bell's has a lot of caramel malt in the aroma of their beer, not in a bad way of course. Some good hop scents come through with the malt and I get notes of fruit (light), grass, earthy and more fruit. The fruit is like a mix of orange, mango, apricot and pineapple, nice. The smell seems to grow on me as I drink more, rather than fade away.

T- Follows suit of the smell. The malt has a nice backbone to the hops. It is lighter malt with some caramel added in. The hops are once again fruity, grassy and earthy with some citrus peel notes in there as well. This beer has a great malt and hop profile and it deserves attention. The hops remind me of some of the best IPAs I have had but are a bit more subtle and allow the malt to come through, this is really cool. It allows the beer to be more refreshing in a way. The bitterness level is pretty low and caps off a great tasting ale.

MF- Mouthfeel is good. The body is on the light end but is creamy rather than watery. The carbonation is at a medium level and just stings the tongue enough like it should. A coat of hops and light malt sticks around on the tongue for quite some time, as well as the bitters. The 7.10% ABV does not make any appearance in this one.

DB- Could be one of the better session beers I have tried. The price was great, the flavor was great and the ABV doesn't rear its head. The semi-subtle flavors allow the beer to take on a more refreshing feel. I gotta get a case of this stuff some time, great session beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours golden with about three fingers of white pillowy head.

Smell is mild hoppy and almost a bit buttery.

Taste is hoppy, floral, sweet, almost tart. Earthy finish.

Pretty drinkable. Great IPA, very well balanced. Thanks to Sciphish for this wonderful bottle.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent beer. Definitely the first to disappear from the mixed case I picked up the other day. Beautiful orange tone to this one, and a huge, solid, rocky head that maintains it's shape for a while and then fades to a still substantial foam that lasts til the final sip. Mmmm. In terms of smell and taste, this is a perfectly balanced beer, yet robust in both the malt and hop areas. I generally don't draw comparisons between beers, but I like this just about as much as the Alesmith Yulesmith, which I couldn't help but be reminded of while drinking this beer. They both have that great almost vanilla ice cream sweet malt character backing up a load of hops. Very resinous and oily hops in the nose, and also on the palate, but moving towards a more citrusy orange peel and spice bouquet. Also, I could be imagining this but I'm detecting either some light spicing, or just little complexities such as clove and nutmeg. Really nice. This is pretty much a medium bodied beer but it has a great slightly thick and sticky mouthfeel, super creamy and smooth. I know this is tough or nearly impossible to find on the east coast, but if you find some on your travels definitely pick it up, it's one of the best IPAs I've had. And you have to love any beer that has a generic looking wildlife photo on it, a la Schmidt's.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 10197, 12 days old according to the batch finder on Bells' website. Fresy fresh, so no excuses. This is an old standby, so time for a review.

Pours a gourgeous golden yellow with just the right amount of little white bubbles (carbonation) that hang on for a while. Nice looking IPA, minimal haze.

Sweet flowers with some tropically influenced (mango?) citrus on the nose. I usually shy away from floral IPAs, but this works really well. The sweetness is stronger than usual. The pine isn't strong.

Tastes are consistent with the nose. Floral sugars (what I imagine nectar from a flower to taste like), wrapped with some mango citrus, with just a bit of pine. Not much resin. Bitterness in check. The sweetness is light, it's not syrupy or thick. Clean and crisp, 12 days old helping that. No buttery notes.

Mouthfeel is perfect for the style. ABV in my IPA sweet spot.

Quite a well crafted IPA. I generally prefer more enamel peeling pine and resin, but that's personal preference. I have always enjoyed drinking this beer. It's a good gateway beer for non-craft people too, have converted a few with this one.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Lovely burnished bronze color in the glass. Just a hint of chill haze, but perfectly acceptable. Head fell quickly, but enough stuck around for the trip through the beer to let me know it was there.

The aroma... wow! Face full o' hops. Very, very nice dry hop aroma. One has to assume they dry hop this ale. That's too much grassy, citrusy goodness to get just from late addition aroma hopping. And what an aroma it is. As the beer warms, a trace of malt comes through. Or maybe it's just that your nose is so hopped out by that point, it's dying to smell anything except the hops. Whatever it is, it's good. Really good.

Oh, the sweet bitterness. The hops attack you right up front. But wait.. what's this? There's a big amount of sweetness here too. This isn't just hop juice. This is a truly well crafted IPA. Big hop nose, bitterness right in your face, yet a big enough malt flavor to counter all of that. And it's a clean malt flavor, to boot. A touch of caramel, but mostly just plain old pale malt. Very smooth, and considering the aroma, extremely well balanced. Just a slight hint of warmth at the end of the sip, which I would think would be from something other than the alcohol, since 6.0% ABV isn't that high. This is very, very well made.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy, almost stout-like. Not heavy, not chewy... full, without really being a full-bodied beer. Quite interesting. Almost the beer version of a David Blaine illusion. Is it, or isn't it? In the end, it's just about what it ought to be, but it takes a rather raoundabout way to get you there.

This is quite the drinkable IPA, to say the least. Balanced, in spite of the aroma, hearty without being overwhelming, creamy without being chewy... I imagine a beer could be better put together than this, but it would take a damn good effort. Extremely well done.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very impressed- more earth-tone bitter, should be marketed as a session beer: no real bitterness, and falls closely in a Pale Ale category with an IPA front! I would really like to find this on tap to better evaluate. This beer is more malty/sweet than citrus or hoppy, yet still floral. Drink more!

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

It is odd to sit down and write a review for my favorite session beer. It is almost as if I was forced to tell my best friend what I loved about them, but only got one chance to do it. My subconscious says, "Don't screw up, this is a special one. The two of you have been together for a while. Through thick and thin - times good and bad - celebration and dissapointment."

Well, here goes. . .

A beautiful amber orange sunset display.
Ah yes! A bit cloudy from its natural, unfiltered state.
Floral, citrus and perfumed oils percolate through the air.
Wonderful white, bubbling foam fills my pint.
Lacing continues to the last drop.
Hop oils do wonders for lace and bubbles. Are there hops in here? :)

The nose releases bisquit malt, honey and just a whisper of vanilla.
These qualities are barely discernable due to the hop overload.
Lemon, grapefuit, grapes, herbal-freshly cut grass. . . .ohm . . .

I love you my friend.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is a heavenly American IPA. Excellent hop balance -- enough bitterness and hop presence to make it phenomenal, without overdoing it and sending it to the second-tier West Coast variety. This is definitely a top-tier ale not to be missed, among the best that Bell's brews.
It is complex enough to go with a variety of cuisine -- try with an artisan gourmet pizza.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consistent, precise and most importantly- available! Bell's avoids all the trickeration or gimmicks and simply puts together a stellar hop-forward beer that gives aroma and taste every bit of attention as it does its smooth bittering.

Its confident copper pour is heady and long-lasting with its froth, delivering high hop aroma early and often. With just enough of a tepid caramel and crusted bread support to balance its hop flavor, a medley of citrus and tropical fruit waft about in a highly perfumed scent and early taste than hinges on... dare I say- bubblegum?

While the malts drop out as the beer crosses the middle, the hop character protrudes- steering from its fragrant bouquet and capturing the gleaming taste of red grapefruit, straight from the orchard. Ripe, vibrant and juicy citrus is woven together with delicate fructose candied sweetness, tangerine and tropical mango with a hint of marmalade.

Continuing its developing taste, the hops trend dry, resinous and smoothly bitter- resembling the taste of severed pine needles to and fro. With the hops outlasting the malts with ease, the finish is refreshingly dry and bitter with echoes of perfume in aftertaste.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.