Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,474 | Ratings: 13,959
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was so happy to start seeing some Bell's start to show up on shelves around the Raleigh area. Of Bell's offerings this is perhaps my favorite. I picked up a sixer from a well-supplied convenience store; it was on the shelf under some (what I consider to be) strong competition but the Two-Hearted's price point and cravings for this particular mess of hops lead me to Bell's. I do not regret my choice.

As this ale poured from the bottle the smell of citrusy hop oil poured out with it. Immediately alive in the Scaldis tulip, a nice, white, part creamy part bubbly, two finger cap formed on top of golden beer with straw-yellow highlights. I had to stop the pour to allow room for the last few ounces which added some swirly yeast sediments to color the body of this brew - just beautiful! As the initial head receded, copious stickage ensued leaving a wide, thick ring of dense lace.

Wow. Where some brewers strike a note with the noses of their beers Bell's struck a chord with this one. It's citrus-like grapefruit and floral (think spring bouquet not rose or honeysuckle) with hints of maybe some berries? Blueberry is the one that comes to mind. This all blends so perfectly with the subtle malt tones that are just grainy enough to add to the spring-like quality as well. There is just a spice of phenol.

The taste, in fact, comes off grainier than expected. Now, let us not confuse such a statement with the simple fact that this beer is hoppy. Period. But there is almost a sense of surprise at how a balance has been struck between hop and grain after experiencing such a significant aroma (Note well: The balance is tipped WAY in favor of hops but there is balance nonetheless). There is an immediate astringency followed by the opening of the hop profile; pine resinous with sweet and sour citrus flavor. The grain tones sneak in as the initial acidity fades a bit and allows for some combination of flavor - this is perhaps when the berry-like fruit qualities of hop, grain, and alcohol tend to complement and play off of one another. It's the embodied flavor of the American IPA; hop palate destruction with just enough balance to make one go "Oooo" in some silly fashion - well done!

Mouthfeel is astringent. NO way around it - this is not for the faint of hops! Beyond the acidity it is quite bubbly and not syrupy like some really heavy IPA's but rather alive on the palate in its medium body...matty likey!

I feel as though I could drink this beer all day and not get sick of it. In spite of (and in some sense BECAUSE of) some palate-drying hoppiness and a non-sessionable ABV this beer is just so damn DRINKABLE. Cheers, Bell's - this should have us on our collective ass soon enough.

An interesting point of note; the burp is quite pleasant and tastes like what I'd expect the hop profile alone to taste like separate from the other beer characteristics. Floral and vegetal!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bottle that's allowed to sit for some time and then carefully poured delivers just a slightly hazy (almost clear) peachy-gold body that's topped by a frothy white head which holds fairly well. It eventually drops but keeps a really nice creamy collar, and a simple swirl of the glass brings it right back up! Additionally, it leaves some nice lace - although it's fleeting. The aroma, however, is even more astonishing than the appearance with a bright, bold combination of soft ripe fruit, tangy grapefruit and resiny pine. Intense! But it goes even one step further as the flavor is even bolder than the aroma with a searing bitterness right-up front, and from start to finish! If it weren't for the rich (almost sugary) and fruity (apricot, tangerine, mild pineapple) malt underneath this beer would be way too much! Surprisingly, and thankfully, the hop flavors are limited to the fruity side of things and the interplay between the crushing bitterness and the sweet malt is really interesting. It's kind of like a "tug of war" in the mouth. The firm maltiness is enlivened by a very fine and gently effervescent carbonation that helps this to happen. It's surprisingly smooth and creamy. This is one hell of a "take no prisoners" IPA that should clearly be sought out and destroyed - one bottle at a time! Most highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Pours a pale golden amber color with a nice creamy off-white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is probably the best aroma of any IPA I have ever smelled. Fresh citrusy hops immediately fill the air and just dares you to take a sip. The taste much like the aroma is a hop heads paradise. The hops seemingly explode in your mouth making you die to take the next sip. Wow! This is one hell of a brew that will certainly become a staple in my fridge. Highly Recommended!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Apperance - Poured a very nice amber color with a very cloud like fluffy white head that left some very very nice lace coating my glass.

Smell - Strong hop smell with hints of citrus really make this one great smelling brew.

Taste - Strong hop kick that leaves a very nice sweet citrus taste left in your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Thicker feeling beer but doesn't feel to heavy in your mouth. Very nice carbonation that helps make this heavier beer smoother and crisper than expected.

Drinkability - The hops really had a nice balance in this beer. They were strong, you did take notice of them upon the first sip, but they weren't to overpowering. It was actually a very easy to drink beer.

Comments - Thanks to chilidog and the '03 holiday beer exchange I was able to get my hands on this great representation of an IPA. One of the best IPA's out there that should be tried by all.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearence the beer had a bright brassy color. it pours with a cloudy appearence and a little carbonation.

Aroma is of floral and pine hops aroma

Taste is medium body but full of zest and hops

Overall this is an outstanding IPA and the bells crew has once again not let me down. This IPA is a little more bitter than expected but was welcomed and I will most definatly visit this tasty experience once again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this beer since the early 90s (I grew up in Grand Rapids MI) and it was my first IPA experience. My review may be biased by the fact that this beer is my reference point for the style. I'm glad it's become available here in DC.

I drank this one poured from a bottle into a tall, somewhat narrow beer mug.

Appearance: Starts with the label on the bottle, which depicts a trout over a background of flowing a flowing stream - very cool. I don't know who designs Bell's bottle labels but they deserve some sort of award (the snowy owl on the best brown ale is one of the "best" labels in beerdom). The beer pours a hazy deep golden color with a huge rocky head that dissapates slowly and leaves lacing down the glass.

Aroma is of piney, floral, citrus hops. The piney scent is fitting for a brew from Michigan.

Taste is dry with an immediate, evergreen, prickly hop presence. If you look for it you will detect doughy malts behind the hops. Definitely a beer that hopheads will like - it's on the dry side but they've piled on just enough malt.

Mouthfeel is lively, almost prickly, due to the high hop content, but with a smooth finish. I could (and have) drink these all night long but they do pack a bit of a punch, so I wouldn't go overboard with them. All in all an excellent IPA.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

12 oz. pour from batch 10064, checked Bell's site and they did not have this batch in the system so no idea as to the bottling date.

Pours a beautiful honey amber with a one finger frothy head that leaves a nice lacing around the rim. A little less than clear, but not enough to say hazy.

Smells of citrus hops and tropical fruit. Not a grapefruity aroma more a sweet tangerine mixed with pineapple and mango. A bit of sweet light malts, but the hops are, as they should be, the star of the show.

Taste is excellent! While I like other IPA's equally as much this beer rates the full A+ cannot be improved rating for flavor. Crisp and sweet with the flavors following the nose letter for letter, and with a nice hop bite on the follow through. I can't think of a better example of a sweet fruity hopped IPA, equals yes, but differently not better.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light, more of a pale than an IPA. I really like it and it enhances the drinkability, but most beers in this style have a little more body at this abv.

Drinkability is excellent I've definitely had more than two of these in a sitting, but the hops and alcohol sneak up on you. I have to have a water and some food to get a good taste of the third or more beer. The hops may be sweet, but they are potent and you stop getting the full flavor after number two thanks to their tongue lashing (pun intended) and the numbing of the alcohol.

All in all one of my favorites. I recommend it to all my friends if they ask about a good IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bells Two Hearted Ale. 12oz bottle into a medium snifter.

Moderate pour pour generates a big one inch fluffy eggshell colored head, which lingers around for a good bit, leaving some nice sticking on the way down. Nice medium orange with good clarity. Pure classic IPA.

Aroma is gigantic, perfumy floral hops and juicy grapefruit. Aroma is so intense and inviting. Some faint caramel maltiness, but it is way overpowered. Prickly hop leaf in there. A little touch of alcohol too.

Taste is juicy grapefruit, not intensely bitter, but very much hop forward. A bit resiny, and hop oily as well. The perfume in the nose also lingers on the finish of this beer, and the maltyness is in there without providing anything more than a little balance. A faint toasty flavor as well.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side, but that's fine, as IPAs that are too heavy strike me as kind of odd. The resin like quality of the hops as a nice touch to the body. The finish is actually a bit watery, but this beer is more refreshing than overwhelming. It's actually really easy to drink, and the 7% abv can sneak up with the quickness. My first IPA, and one that I will always be in love with.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Wow, love this beer. Cannot say enough good things about the quality and taste of Two Hearted. Beautiful floral hop aroma is the first thing you notice about this IPA. The taste is like no other. I feel its very balanced while still providing great hop flavor. Clean, tasty finish.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Quite a surprising beer - mega-hoppy aroma of grapefruit rind makes you brace both feet for the hops onslaught. Hops are there, big and bold, no question, but - in something of a contradition in terms - quite mellow. Usually this much grapefruity hops stomps on your tongue with hobnail boots, but this beer manages to finesse the hops and go heavier on flavor than bitterness. A great beer - ranks in my top five of the style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Golden yellow with thin white head, nice retention, creamy lace.

S- Pungent, well balanced bouquet of hops. Sweet floral notes mixed with fruity citrus. Lemon, pine, grapefruit, honeysuckle.

T- Hops shine, sweet floral notes and hints of light sweet malts, honeysuckle, grapefruits, lemon, pine and earthy, grassy notes. Complex and juicy.

M- Crisp, refreshing, juicy, dry finish

D- Very refreshing, flavorful and enjoyable. A go-to beer as people say.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Had to re-review this beer, as the first time I had it, it was of questionable age after having sat in the Iowa Beer Cache for quite some time -- original score: 3.8. Now that this beer is available in the state of Iowa, I have gone through several cases of fresh Two Hearted. It has actually supplanted Alpha King as my go-to beer, at least for the time being.

The beer pours to a light golden color with a slight peachy haze. Nice white head, though it doesn't last or lace all that well. Decent carbonation. Doesn't look all too impressive, but rest assured, there is liquid gold in that glass.

The smell is great. Has a nice lemony zest on top of the grapefruity centennial hop aroma. Slight malty sweetness below.

The taste is great. Very well balanced for an IPA. Great hops flavor without too much bitterness. Very refreshing. Very drinkable. Not too sweet, not too bitter or dry.

The body is medium to full with a crisp carbonation. Another great beer from Bell's. Make sure to check the freshness of your sample via Bell's Batch # lookup on their website, lest ye be disappointed in your old beer such as I was the first time I tried it.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

I was surprised when, by some stroke of happenstance, I realized that I had not reviewed my favorite beer: Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I also hadn't had one in a couple of months (!), so I was eager to review it. From the looks of it, this bottle might have been on the shelf for a while. Served from a 12oz. bottle into the only glass I had available, a Chimay goblet.

Poured a murky, sickly shade of pale-orange. Not as yellow as I remember it usually being, but that may be due to the lighting. The 1.5-finger, rocky, off-white head dissipates at a normal rate. Lacing seems pretty good.

I love the nose on this beer. Its just so impeccably floral; its as if you were directly in a garden. Petal and plant stalk mix with loads of assertive lemony/citrus notes. This stuff smells like a hoppy brew; very appetizing.

Oh, yeah. That hits the spot. What can I say about Two Hearted that hasn' already been confirmed by legion? It hits all of the right pine and citrus hop flavors... only it hits them better than any other single IPA (in my un-exhaustive opinion anyway). Such a pleasant bitterness lingers on the tongue, compelling you to drink more.

Which you can, by the way, because even at 7% ABV, this is imminently drinkable. I always want to have more bottles. Nice, lightish mouthfeel with carbonation levels that don't lend a sharp prickly character. Just a smooth drinker all the way. I must also mention the awesome "hop-burps" that this beer delivers on.

I first drank this beer before signing up for Beer Advocate. The label, with its odd painting of a fish, forced me to purchase what I, then and now, refer to as "Fish Beer." I didn't know much about they style then, but I knew that I liked it. Nostalgia is not clouding my judgment. Two Hearted Ale remains a bright light in the beer world. Simply excellent.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Apperance: Pours a golden hue with yeast clouding the glass. A thick stiff white head appears and falls within a minute or two leaving white lace around the rim.

Smell: Aroma of citrusy hops that lingers in the nose. This thing smells delicious.

Taste: Storng malt flavor followed by a very citrus/grapefuit hoppy flavor. A little bitter at the end kind of sharp but the aftertaste lingers of hops and dries out the mouth nicely.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation. This beer floats down your throat and leaves you wanting more.

Drinkability: A very drinkable brew that goes down very easily, you could drink this beer all year long.

Apparently two hearted is now a yearlong brew. If this is true expect some quality drinking all year.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

medium tea brew in appearance. Head - nothing extravegant gone in <5 min. Smell:Nice hops burst light and pleasant. hops are very present, but not to the point of obnoxious. Not sure of mouthfeel but, Me Likey!!! Drinkability: Really???? This is definitately a very good beer. My fave!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer might be one of the greatest American IPAs ever created. Period. Midwest represent!

My beer poured a hazy amber color with a massive, pillow-like head. The beer left an amazing head and lacing all the way down the glass. What a beautiful sight.

The aroma? Fuggedaboutit. Smell wafted as soon as the cap was lifted off the bottle. Sort of a skunky grapefruit aroma... very funky and nice. I love it.

The taste was perfectly balanced, especially for the hophead. A little caramel, a little sugar sugar, and lots of hoppy ironfist punch to the palate thickness. I love it.

What a drinkable brew. You could go so far to call it slammable.

Without question, an American Classic. Nuff said.

Booya!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy golden color with a thin, off-white head.

S: Floral hops and some pineapple thrown in. The smell reminded me a bit of Sierra Nevada, but much much better.

T: Near perfect balance between some citrus hops and malts. Pineapple, grapefruit, citrus hops and a bit of funk as it warms. Really tasty.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

12oz, no fresh date noted.
Poured a slightly hazy yellow with a thick head of medium white bubbles. Smell was a spectacular orange citrus. Sweet and bordering on perfumey.

Taste was of orange sweet tarts. A bit of grapefruit as well. Almost perfect blend of sweetness and bitterness. The bitterness is balanced by a generous malt contribution in the finish.

This reminded me of a Dreadnaught light. Not too light bodied, but very easy to drink. Well done. Wish they had it in my area as it would become one in heavy rotation.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

I am not a fan of some IPAs, but I think I could drink this all day long.

It has great color and good carbonation. I love the smell you get from the centennial hops and it has just the right amount of bitterness, giving it a great overall balance between hops and malt. It has a nice finish making it a perfect anytime beer.

Yum!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Straw to Orange in color. Has the cloudy appearance of a weiss. Pours with a thick, foamy head, which settles into a nice layer of suds. Noticeable lace throughout. Strong citrus hops on the nose. Initially a nice balance of hop with malt on the tongue. Hops remains dominant however, and overtakes the palate. The hops do a dance in the mouth which goes as: First to play is flavorful, floral to citrusy hop then blends nicely into a tangy bitterness, which melts and coats the mouth. The bitter flavor lingers and slowly fades away, leaving just a trace of its original flavor on the back of the mouth and edges of the cheeks. Brown 12oz.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Ohh, my...this is one complex, super good IPA!

Color was a solid goldish yellow, small bubbly head that faded fast but left nice tight lace in patches around the glass. Aroma is very grapefruit/orangey/lemony peel-like with lots of fresh floral hops and a bit of spice and slight dry malt. Straight up taste is very fresh hops, citrusy with some spice notes and grain, nothing overbearing, very mellow, its perfectly balanced and is very crisp and clean with a great, light dry finish lingering with dry malts and left over hop bits. Hard and very bold, medium body feel, somewhat creamy with lots of fruity sweetness and a nice, light dry finish. This is some fantastic stuff. A favorite of mine for any occasion.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Had this one on the afternoon, about 2 hours before I got married, my brother and I decided to kill some time with a beer tasting?

Pour a golden, copper-ish color. With a pillow of off white, kaki head. Good lacing.

Aroma was to be expected for an IPA. Pine and citrus dominated.

Taste was like chewing hops! LOVED IT! Had a slight grapefruit note, and with a well balanced malt flavor.
Finished dry, with some bread/yeast notes.

A great everyday IPA. I love IPA's and this is one of my favorites so far!!!! I wish we could get this in Arizona!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

copper orange colour, and lots of lacing on the glass.

smell of citrus fruits a biscuit malts.

a very sweet bitter citrus flavors mostly grapefruit, left with a bit of malts, and a tad bit of hops!

very creamy, with a little bit of chew which I mean in my opinion is a great thing in an american ipa!

Freaking amazing beer been drinking this for two years, such a great drinking IPA! I've had it on tap but I'm not a huge nitro guy. I mean if you're looking for a reasonably priced mind blowing IPA to unleash your arsenal buy it, don't stop think the bass is your friend!

packaged 1/30/2012

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

My opinion on this is that If a beer is ever made with a better mouth and drinkability, they'll have to add a 5.5 and 6 to the scale. Good as it gets. Appearance is good but nothing remarkable It's typical of the class in color and top which doesn't warrant a 5. Smell is tangy and citrusy. Hops are prominent and there is some backbone with a decent malt-sweetness there. Taste is very good. Easy on the tongue, while finishing with a very light sweet creaminess. Alcohol is not apparent which added to just the right amount of carbonation, makes the mouthfeel just incredible. So smooth, so drinkable. And not just for a draft or bottle but all night long, all week long, all month long, and any time of year.

Another success for Bells. Their lineup isn't perfect but still stands out as one of the top breweries in my opinion. I hate it when they place sixers of TH in the case beside sixers of DFH 60-min because it forces me to buy both. And at ten bucks, who wouldn't?

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

i believe this is my first bells beer another great that i cant get in illinois. the color is a beautiful cloudy orange hue and a big white head the smell is flipping amazing pineapple, bananas and a wonderful hop aroma fill the nose. taste is also great , i really wish i could get this stuff more often its just damn good. on the label it says its an india pale ale its the most tame ipa i've ever had but a great beer nonetheless

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.