Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 14,275 |  Reviews: 3,550

I agree with much of the citrus and floral attributes given, however, I was put off by over carbonation and a strange metallic after taste...

Easily the worst "IPA" I've ever tasted...if you can actually call it an IPA. Has about as much hops and character as a Bass ale. I am flummoxed as to how this beer is so sought after and over hyped. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is FAR more enjoyable simply because you don't have the preconceived notion that it's supposed to blow your mind. On a 100 point scale, I'd say this is respectfully deserving of 75, and that's generous. Can't say enough bad things about it, so I'll stop. Sorry, but I highly recommend looking elsewhere, anywhere.

2.04/5  rDev -52.1%

Tasted like a poorly-made boiler-maker. I see the reviews here and I scratch my head and wonder why. Perhaps my beer tastes and expectations are too basic and backward. Could not wait for it to be gone. Each sip popped an intolerably sweet flavor in my mouth. It created nice internal warmth, but burned like a watered down shot of bourbon going down. Some have said the alcohol taste is missing, but it was the most prevalent taste/feel I could recognize. I am no expert, so I am not sure how much to trust my rating.

2.04/5  rDev -52.1%

Poured as a straw-gold color with a good sized head. Unfortunately, the head didn't have much retainment and only laced a few lines before completely disappearing. If it had maintained the lacing throughout the drink, I would have awarded it a perfect score.

Smell was very hoppy with hints of pine, citrus, grapefruit, and mainly had a bitter aroma to it.

Taste was very very hoppy. There were a lot of flavors hidden in there but I wish that they would have toned down the hops a lot more as all I was able to taste were hops. If the hops had been toned down just a notch, this would be an outstanding beer.

There was almost no carbonation but the overwhelming hops makes up for the lack of carbonation. It was a prickly mouthful that left an aftertaste of pine and hops.

Drinkability suffered from the prickliness of the beer and due to the pine aftertaste lingering well past its welcome. Overall, this is a decent beer but not one that I'd enjoy again unless I got a glass from a bad batch. Some reviewers have mentioned that they like the bottled version better, so I'll give the bottled version a try sometime.

2.07/5  rDev -51.4%

Not impressed whatsoever. Maybe this whole IPA thing just isn't for me. Poured beer out and immediately grabbed a Weihenstephaner Hefe Wessbier! Cheers

2.09/5  rDev -50.9%

Thanks awalk1227!

Bottle dated 3/29/11

A: Golden, hazy, unfiltered. Frothy white head, sticky.

S: Im surprised and disappointed by the aroma, not pulling alot out of this one. Saltine or stale cracker malt profile. Hop aromas are mostly watered down pine.

T: Not much going on here either. Cracker like malt profile accented with pine sap hops, finish is dry and bitter. Not much citrus, no zing. Drinkable but boring.

M: High carbonation combined with copious amounts of generic bitterness creates a mouthfeel that is just short of scathing.

O: Sorry, I dont get it.

2.11/5  rDev -50.5%

It tastes like what the label looks like. Decent carbonation and a strong ale aftertaste, very bitter.
As I'm not an IPA kinda guy, I did not like it, the taste was just too strong. If you like IPA's, you'll like this. If not, stay away.

2.12/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is a very typical IPA. I don't enjoy the bitterness that comes with IPAs.

2.13/5  rDev -50%

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

2.25/5  rDev -47.2%

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.