Site Maintenance: Some portions of the site will be unusable until the process is complete. Thanks for your patience. Cheers!
Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,446 | Ratings: 13,821
3.28/5  rDev -23%

Received in a trade with feloniousmonk (thanks) and excited to try it. Not nearly as good as I had hoped, but still enjoyable.

Appeared an orange-yellow color with an off-white colored head that was relatively thick and left behind spots of lacing. Nice white bubbles covered the surface. Aromas of hops, alcohol, and ripe fruits. Citrus and grapefruit flavors along with the hops dominated the taste with a strong bitterness that lingers the whole time. Much more like hop juice than an IPA. Thin and dry in my mouth with a citrus-dervied finish. My biggest problem with this beer was it's lack of complexity. It truly bordered on pure hops and that's not a great thing.

3.28/5  rDev -23%

Reviewed 10/12/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a big head, white, foamy, creamy, good lacing. Cloudy amber color, good bubbles, fizz. Very strong hoppy aroma, fresh smelling. Bitter taste, some sweet mid-taste, somewhat smooth/bitter aftertaste. Creamy. A good IPA, but a little strong and unbalanced. A little acidic.

3.29/5  rDev -22.8%

Bell's 2 Hearted Ale

On tap at Isaac Newton's, Newtown, PA

Appearance- hazy orange with a nice lacing head.
Smell- sugary sweet pine hops.
Taste- Too sweet. Sugary sweet with a strong piney hop flavor.
Mouthfeel- at first just too sugary but it finishes off with a nice strong pine hop kick.

Overall- very excited when I saw this on tap bt after drinking I was slighty disappointed. Just too sweet. I wish there were some citrius thrown in to help mellow the sugar. 1 was more than enough.

3.29/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: golden orange in color. fast fading head, not super carbonated

Smell: A bit of pine smell, but it is very vague

Taste: Very malty. The hop flavor is very prominant leaving a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, even silky and full bodied.

Overall: I am not a huge fan of IPA's in general so I tried to be unbiased in my review. It tasted a bit less strong than some of the other IPAs I have tried so, for someone who doesn't typically like IPAs, it is not bad at all.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

This beer tends to receive a lot of general compliments online, so I decided to finally give it a try.

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint glass.

It shows a pretty amber glow, with a solid white top.

Smells of sweet citrus fruits on ice (frozen pineapple & grapefruit), floral hops, a hint of bready character, possibly a pound cake in the far distance.

Taste is very astringent, with the hops pushing the max on bitterness. The taste is extraneous and surprisingly unrelated to the expectations derived from the welcoming smell. Warming notes from the alcohol, and a teasing amount of the citrus flavors from the smell that I expected to find more pronounced in the taste.

The mouthfeel offers a silky tingle, and the finish concludes with a lingering grainy aftertaste.

Not at all what I was expecting. I was hoping the citrus and/or floral character from hops traditionally tossed in an American IPA would show in this brew. The bittering character was, in my opinion, too dry and lacked a friendlier complement. But, if you are into American IPA's that pack a bitter punch and leave the flower giving for anniversary celebrations, this one just might be what you are looking for.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- pours golden to amber with a thick white head and nice lacing
N- mostly pine and citrus notes, perhaps a subtle floral undertone
T- bitterness seems to overwhelm subtle citrus
M- well carbonated with a malt backbone well suited for the nose of this beer
O- I've had this beer a before and I don't recall such an overwhelming bitterness. It's a solid IPA, but lacks the clean distinct notes of most other highly rated American IPAs.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

Clear, amber colored beer with a two finger high head. Lacing stays on the glass.

Nose: Hops, citrus, honey and pine.
Taste: Orange, pineapple and grass.
Body: Light, smooth body. A little bitterness and medium carbonation

I really can't understand the hype about this beer. I my opinion it is highly overrated on ratebeer and beeradvocate.
Maby it is because the bottle I got my hands on at Total Wine & More is not fresh?
This one was bottled on december 1 - 2014 * Two and a half months ago.

3.31/5  rDev -22.3%

Had on tap at Ashley's in AA

A- Comes out a gorgeous copper color. A fingers worth of eggwhite head dissipates slowly leaving a nice film of foam on the top of the beer. The lacing is strong and forms solid walls on the sides of the glass.

S- Some light husky maltiness on the nose, but dominated by earthy slightly citrusy hops notes.

T- The husky straw greets my mouth first. This is quickly taken over by a dominating bitter flavor. Some citrus flavors- very pithy grapefruit and lime zest. Also some grassy tones. There is a decent complexity to the taste, but overall I found it to be weaker than expected.

M- The bitterness of the beer grabs my tongue and refuses to let go- the aftertaste only streathens its hold. There is a decent creaminess along with this.

D- I enjoyed this beer, but did find it to be too bitter for my taste.

3.31/5  rDev -22.3%

A - 12oz long neck, poured into a brooklyn tulip, 2 finger off white head, on top of a transparent burnt orange color with some pale orange hues shining thoughout the edges, shows good retention and lacing down the glass.

A - citrusy zest, dry lemon peel, pale biscuty maltyness, very par aroma. considering the praise this one gets

T - watery with a good biscut malt throughout, the flavors are fruity citrus and are not abundant, a little pine hop character and orange and lemon peel dryness, no alcohol present and well balanced.

M - medium to light bodied, the carbonation is closer to medium and it is in the middle of crisp and smooth. this is the worst part of the beer IMO it needs more body and a creamy feeling

O - ok this beer is completely overrated and i do not understand how it gets the recognition it does, a dissappointment to say the least. i can say that the beer is clean but not above many in the style for me. sorry homers, lets get real with out selves

3.32/5  rDev -22.1%

When poured, this beer had a medium sized white frothy and creamy head with fine-medium sized bubbles that was mostly lasting. The body was cloudy and uncarbonated with a golden hue. The nose was hoppy, sweet, citrusy and fruity with a bitter and hoppy flavor. The mouthfeel was a bit tingly, smooth and dry and it was medium bodied. This beer had excellent lacing.

3.32/5  rDev -22.1%

I was always put off this beer by the freaky looking fish on the label. However, having recieved some as a gift, I thought I would give it a try. It is drinkable, with a strong grapefruit tone and a nice fullness to it. But I was no super impressed, to me it lacked some of the complexity and over tones of other IPAs. If I try it again I'll give an update as I am suprised that this well liked beer from a well respected brewery isn't doin' it for me.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've had this multiple times in various forms, bottle, draft, and even hand pumped cask.

Orange, amber, chill haze heaping voluminous mounds of large, dense bubbly foam leaving spongy lace.

There is a pretty definitive showcase of grapefruit on the nose, as well as pine. This is a classic, after all.

In taste, I get pine first, then grapefruit. Toasty malt come in to support the hops at a moderate level.

Finish is pretty dry and bitter. Revisiting this beer many times, I easily realize how much this would have turned me off long ago. I was not one of the many who find IPAs most approachable, then move on to darker beers. IPAs were my arch enemy, and this was one of my most hated. But not I can see how well made and consistent this brew really is.

I have also had this on cask, When on cask, I get notes of amaretto, some sort of delicate flower, and passionfruit. On cask these flavors are most prominent, with almost no bitterness to detect, and an unbelievably smooth texture to the point I wonder if it's a beer, especially IPA, at all.

The vast differences between the cask and the standard versions of this beer or so drastic it's unreal, and I'm not sure which I prefer more, because the cask is also odd in its own way, and the warmth doesn't help.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice cloudy copper color with a thick head that stays for a while.

S - Good hop smell with some citrus scents.

T - Strong hop flavor with some good bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer. I like this one a lot.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Hazy golden orange, half inch of white foamy head, sticky lace coats the glass.

S - Hops come mainly in citrus form with some floral hints. A nice sweet malt sneaks in as well.

T - Very fruity to start out with the citrus hops carrying over to the taste. The malt comes through big in the middle, and a touch of bitterness rounds things out, but doesn't linger. Pretty well balanced overall, but not as hoppy as I would have expected/wanted. I prefer to leave the malts hiding in my IPAs. No alcohol is really apparent in the taste, but does warm a little in the stomach.

M - Pretty low bodied for an IPA. Not overly bitter, just right. Carbonation seems minimal.

O - Not quite what I want in an IPA, not nearly enough hop flavor. Will try this again in a couple years to once again see if I can like this beer as much as others do. I just don't see why all the fuss.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a slightly hazy golden orange with a creamy finger of head into a tulip. Nose has some nice bready malts, good spicy citrus, bright pine along with hints of tropical fruits (maybe some guava). Taste starts with a refreshing hop bitterness along with some mild bready malts and pine with light citrus. Finishes a bit oily, nice body and mouthfeel if a bit muted on the nose and taste.

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Special thanks to JM03 for this.
Bottled 8/26/2011

A- Lightly burnt orange pour with a finger width soapy white head. Lacing is soapy and somewhat sticky.

S- Slight floral with a juicy citrus bite and a sweet malt backing.

T- Sweet malts and bitter floral hops dominate this one. The hops are faded but still in your face.

M- Thin bodied with a nice chew to it. Juicy with a lingering bitter aftertaste

O- Solid ipa, this has always been a want and now I cant wait for an even fresher bottle!

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

Just recently had this on tap. It was much better. there was a stranger taste, though. Not as bitter as it was before. It's a good IPA, but nothing incredibly significant. 02-7-2014 Score: 3.8

Below is older review: 03-26-2013

Appearance: Transparent golden orange with a one finger creamy white head

Aroma: Floral, grapefruit, tangerine, and a slight pine.

Taste: Bitter pine and grapefruit; in a bad way. Some tangerine. A very faint sweetness and breadiness. Flavors seem a little watered down. And too much bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light. Crisp. Bitterness in the finish is a little too aggressive.

Overall: I was not too impressed with this IPA. It smells good but taste didn't do it for me. It may have something to do with the bottle being two months old. When I get a much fresher bottle, I'll edit my review. That is, if it's any better.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%

03-02-2003

This is a very nice looking American India pale ale, but the rest of the beer seems rather average, particularly when compared to some of the outstanding West Coast IPAs.

A beautiful and billlowing soft white head forms quickly and then produced perfect lacing on the glass. The body of the beer is a clear light amber with generous carbonation bubbles rising from its depths.

The aroma presents as a rather tame but citrusy hop nose, nothing outstanding, but a crisp and bracing hop snap.

The taste is very subdued. I was expecting more given other reviewers impressions of this beer. But what I tasted was a nicely balanced pale ale, with an almost chalky malt taste followed by a slight hop bitterness, citrusy but mellow. The body also seems a bit watery for an IPA.

This is a decent and average India pale ale that I would buy again, but I do not understand the accolades this beer has received. Perhaps compared to other IPAs brewed in the Middle West it stands out?

4-29-2003

Sampled again to see if I judged too harshly the first time. Nope, the taste has a weird yeast or off character I do not find pleasant at all. If this is the distinctive Kalamazoo yeast flavor, I must just not like what it does to the beer.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

I got this on-tap at Skipper's in Athens.

Appearance: gold-orange color with a nice 3/4" white head from the tap; looks pretty good
Smell: hops dominate
Taste: ehhh, decent, but nothing too impressive; there's a hoppiness, but a mustiness also; im not sure where the mustiness comes from, but it didnt please me too much; slight sweet malt presence
Mouthfeel: medium bodied, good carbonation
Drinkability: decent, didn't have another one on the night

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

From a six pack that a friend and co-worker picked up from me as a gift.

Appearance- Pours a nice light orange color that is topped off with a white fluffy head on top. Not a bad looking beer, not at all.

Smell- Smells of citrus and fresh hops. Rivals many an IPA for pure citric hoppiness. Very nice.

Taste- Wow, kind of a bring down from the smell and the appearance. The hops and citrus are there in full force but there is also a biscuitty kind of buttery aftertaste. It doesn't seem all that balanced. A full on hop assault followed by what seems like a kind of half-assed butteriness.

Mouthfeel- Citric burn and hop oil along with the tingliness of the carbonation. Nothing special but not bad either.

Drinkability- I'm not as in love with the beer as a lot of people seem to be. I've also had it on tap and liked it a bit more but I don't have notes on it so these are my bottle notes instead. I probably wouldn't drink more than one or two on preference but those who like it would obviously have more.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date. Pours a medium ambe with a fluffy 2 finger head, nice longevity and lace. Nice aromas of hops mixed with a fair amount of orange. Malt aromas are present but quickly fade due to the hop aromas. Something seems off in the flavor. I think it is too unbalanced. Yes, it is supposed to heavy on the hop side but its kind of harsh. I think it just needs a bigger malt presence. The hop amounts are fine, as is their flavor, its just a weak malt presence. It is still a good and quality made beer just unbalanced IMHO. If the malts were a bit more dominate, it would make an excellent brew.

3.35/5  rDev -21.4%

A: A bright golden color. See through, rich amber. The head was surprisingly thick and solid. Biteable even. Leaves a very nice lacing.

S: Slightly fruity smell, but just slightly. Nice.

T: When cold, it has that crisp bitterness that masks any subtlety.
It has an odd, fishy aftertaste that reminds me of lake water... but that's probably because of the bottle label. Unfortunately as it warms up it gets noticeably sour. Like warm, old orange juice. (personal experience. Don't ask.)

M: Crisp, significant carbonation. A slight greasy feel that goes away quickly.

Not bad. No danger of it becoming my favorite beer, but certainly wouldn't turn one down if offered. I like it better cold, unlike most darker beers, and ales in general for that matter. Cold and out of the bottle instead of in a glass, it's actually very good.
And for that I bump drinkability from 3.5 to 4.

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%

Cloudy and light orange in color in a pint glass. Mild motionless prickle. The head is lightly foamy and wispy with a light lacing. Raspberry and blackberry hints in the nose. Mild hops in the nose as well. Sweet and hoppy attack which is an interesting combination and I would dare say is nicely balanced. Tartness to the flavor due to the hops character. The finish is clean but with a sour aftertaste as the mouth dries. The components of this beer are very interesting and it comes across as complex and interesting. All of those factors aside I still think it is an average beer. Fun to drink and review, but not something I will keep stocked in the basement.

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%

The apperance was wonderful. It is a nice burnt or orange straw color. It was clear till I swirled in the dregs from the bottle. The head is very nice. It is a nice creamy head that was huge and stucke to my glass like nothing else.

The smell was hops all the way, nothing but hops. Very floral.

The taste was very disappointing. It had hops but it was very thin and almost watery. There is very little malt in this beer and it makes it lose it's body. Could be a lot better.

Not a bad beer but not what I expected it to be.

Bottle 8/7/2012… reviewed on 8/28/2012

A: pours a dark orange-brown with a solid 1.5 fingers worth of frothy pure white head formation. Big bubbles stick to the sides as the lacing is very strong. Held up to the light the body turns a golden color. Moderate carbonation, moderate transparency.

S: high amounts of orange peel citrus notes and floral hops, and quite grainy. I’m actually surprised by the lack of complexity in this one as I was expecting more fruit and tropical notes.

T: I pick up on a big biscuit character, bitter pine hops, some citrus, a very slight touch of grapefruit, lots of grain and mild touch of alcohol. Balance is slightly off in my opinion

M: crisp finish is pleasant, leaves a moderate hop aftertaste on the palate that may be too much for some, but it's enjoyable. Medium bodied, this one goes down quick.

O: Unfortunately, I’m disappointed in this one. I was expecting a bit more from Bell’s on this especially with such great reviews and it leaves me wondering if I'm missing something here. I personally think there is too much grain which throws this one off. The hops are great, but there is a lack of tropical fruits to help the balance of this brew.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.