Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,454 | Ratings: 13,851
3.69/5  rDev -13.4%

Moderate pour into a goblet produces a finger's width of coarse white head which fades to a thin collar and small island of foam within a minute or two. The beer is clear, slightly effervescent and a golden color tinged with orange.

Picking through the hoppy aroma, I find hints of lemon and orange, a bit of unidentified evergreen (pine, spruce?). There are no hints of malty counterbalance.

Hops... and not much else. As the beer hits the front of the tongue, there is no residual sweetness to balance the hops. This is a rather dry offering. As the beer moves toward the back of the tongue and throat, the bitterness shows up as a pleasant tingling. Aftertaste is dominated by floral hoppy notes.

The elevated hoppyness of this beer leads to a clean mouthfeel. This beer leaves less of a "hoppy scuz" on the tongue than some IPAs I've tried. I feel like I could still taste nuances in another non-IPA after this beer.

This is a smooth drinking beer, too high in alcohol to be a session beer, but not remarkable enough to spend an entire evening investigating its nuances.

Above average, a solid IPA, but not the earth-shattering experience some make it out to be.

2.54/5  rDev -40.4%

*did not like would not buy*
app: orange ish, murky, not great looking, like bad cider.

smell: nice hops.. a lil bit of sharpnes, that i do not like. good malts in the nose as well. fruit snacks and citrus!

taste: water , then hops, but nice ones! then ICK, odd acid paint chemical back of the throat! it is mild, but its still there. there at all is to much! so sad.. all the other flavors are nice, its balanced and good, but acidic and nasty.

mf: refreshing and crisp but to frothy.

drinkable?? no

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

A - No date on the bottle, but I purchased the six-pack from my local store this morning, so it should still be fresh. Pours a very nice looking amber, with a pale golden two-finger head that slowly dissipates to a 3/4 finger cap which has excellent retention and leaves impressive lacing. I pulled this bottle from the fridge about 5 minutes before I poured it, to ensure it wasn't refrigerator-cold.

S - Mostly floral hops, with some citrus notes. A little pine? The scents were rather subtle overall, but I can tell this is going to be a hop-head's brew before I even taste it.

T - Distinctly hoppy, with a very crisp, bitter finish. Some citrus and pine notes, just like the nose promised. Perhaps the slightest hint of alcohol after the beer has warmed a bit more. Hoppy bitterness is offset by some caramel malts, and it's well-balanced. Long hoppy aftertaste - I drank one of these earlier this evening and I was still tasting a little hops a half-hour after the last sip.

M - Just the right amount of carbonation - doesn't feel forced at all. Moderate viscosity, but certainly not watery. Very smooth.

D - Quite bitter, which for an IPA is to be expected I suppose. I enjoy the bitterness, but my palate is usually ready for something else by the end of the bottle. That combined with 7.0% ABV ensures I usually only drink one of these in a sitting, and never more than two, so I feel that have to knock a point off here.

Overall - For hop-heads, this is a downright delicious, well-balanced beer. For people who aren't crazy about hops, you might want to steer in another direction.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This brew was recommended to me by HardTarget. He said "this is your new 'White Whale'". This was quite an awesome brew - I wish it was available in this area, it would easily make its way into my beer rotation and become a stand-by in my fridge. Thank you, HardTarget, it was an excellent recommendation, and a very unique IPA.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass.

Appearance - It pours a hazy translucent golden orange. It created a 2 finger frothy white head that slowly dissipates. It never fully disappears and leaves a decent bit of lacing behind. The head retention is pretty amazing on this one.

Smell - The smell is pretty awesome. I get the standard IPA scents, but this one has a bit more as well. I can smell notes of grapefruit, lemon, slight pine, but overall it is very floral. There are also notes of mikans and tangerine which is tied closely with a sweetness that is fairly dominant in the scent.

Taste - The flavor is fantastic. I taste the same thing that I can smell in the scent. It is flowery, with notes of grapefruit, a hint of pine, and a decent bit of tangerine What I like about this beer is that is pretty balanced with the malt. There is a caramel sweetness that doesn't compete with or get overpowered by the hops - very balanced.

Mouthfeel - When I taste it, I can tell that this is an American IPA but it doesn't have that astringent, mouth tearing, palate destroying hop-slap-in-the-mouth feeling to it. It is velvety smooth with a light/medium body. The carbonation is fairly light, but it doesn't detract from the overall feel.

Drinkability - Very synergistic. Beer doesn't get more drinkable than this. If I could get this on a regular basis, I could easily drink a sixer to myself. This is an IPA I can could a ton of and still feel like my palate could handle another style of beer with no problem.

This brew was great. Go get some.

2.04/5  rDev -52.1%

Poured as a straw-gold color with a good sized head. Unfortunately, the head didn't have much retainment and only laced a few lines before completely disappearing. If it had maintained the lacing throughout the drink, I would have awarded it a perfect score.

Smell was very hoppy with hints of pine, citrus, grapefruit, and mainly had a bitter aroma to it.

Taste was very very hoppy. There were a lot of flavors hidden in there but I wish that they would have toned down the hops a lot more as all I was able to taste were hops. If the hops had been toned down just a notch, this would be an outstanding beer.

There was almost no carbonation but the overwhelming hops makes up for the lack of carbonation. It was a prickly mouthful that left an aftertaste of pine and hops.

Drinkability suffered from the prickliness of the beer and due to the pine aftertaste lingering well past its welcome. Overall, this is a decent beer but not one that I'd enjoy again unless I got a glass from a bad batch. Some reviewers have mentioned that they like the bottled version better, so I'll give the bottled version a try sometime.

Very cloudy,orange colored body with tons of lacing.

Very citrusy,piney and grapefruit notes in the taste also.Bitterness then malt.

Nice mouthful.Little carbonation.

Nice but I like the bottled version better.Seems more hoppy.It was still nice to have though.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a: This beer is a bright clear yellow. Pours with a medium sized white head. This is a lively beer with lots of ascending bubbles.

s: While there is some mild sweetness here, the hops dominate. Mostly piny, there is some lemon also.

t: Here again there is a minimal sweet malty backbone, it's all about the hops. They are sticky, fresh, and piny with minimal citrus notes.

m: Very good carbonation and body on this one.

d: I'm very glad that these are available on PA. One of my favorite IPAs.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Medium gold, with a very faint haze (from all the hops?). Head is dense and rocky, leaving lace after each sip, all the way down. Aroma is fresh, hoppy, very orange like (Amarillo?), with hints of pine. Flavor follows through with a definite orange-like hop flavor upfront, followed by a soft, sweet malt. Both carry through into the tail, which is well balanced and light. Great IPA, with a very fresh character.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap at Speakeasy in Carrboro, NC. I've had a few bottles of this and enjoyed it but this was first time on tap and finally felt compelled to review it.

A: A cloudy amber with a dense off white head.
S:: Typical IPA smell, lots of hops, citrus and floral, very strong and appealing
T: I don't know, it's delicious. Doesn't taste like typical IPA, hops are well balanced with maltiness and citrus flavors.
M: Much thicker and creamier on tap than I remember the bottle being. Medium carbonation, alcohol is well hidden, not overly bitter or dry in aftertaste.
D: I really like this a lot and am curious to taste this again in a bottle since I wasn't so impressed with it before I had it on tap.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a nice hazy copper with a delicious 1 1/2 finger sticky white head. Smell is amazing citrus/ pine, just an amazing and tranquil experience. Taste is mind-blowing as well. Citrus splash with the absolute balance of piney hops to send you wanting more with every sip. The absolute best ipa I have ever had. A complete pleasure to be experienced. Mouth feel is perfectly balance with carbination and thickness totally coinciding for a great mix. I could definately drink this IPA all day long.. I am totally amazed by Bell's 2 hearted...

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Looks of a reddish amber with a decent head that sticks around. Smells of citrusy hops and sweet malt. The taste of this beer blows me away. It is quite tasty with citrus flavors of orange and grapefruit. The malt backbone holds strong keeping the strong hops in balance. All around maybe one of my favorite IPAs for its unique taste.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Golden copper haze with a fluffy, white, foamy head.

I smell hops, hops, citrus and hops. God damn, this tastes so frigging good. It's so smooth with little to no aftertaste.

I could drink this beer all day. Besides Dreadnaught and Furious, this is the best IPA I've ever had.

If you're tired of playing around with IPAs, or beer in general, go grab a few cases of this. I have to go back across the border to get more next weekend.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a pretty foggy amber with a decent off white head. I could get a good whiff of this one even before I had poured it out of the bottle. Nose is perfumed pine hops. Flavor is a mouthful of hops that stays consistent. Thick hop flavors just stay with you. Feel has a good carbonation to it and a the liquid is pretty good as well. Overall this is a very good IPA. Definitely one for the hop heads.

4.73/5  rDev +11%

Unbelievable IPA here.

Nice hazy orange, nice foamy head. Looks really good.

Smells delicious as well. Very citrusy and hoppy, lots of grapefruit here. Very sharp and crisp smelling.

Extremely juicy citrusy hops on this with a small malt to back it up but this is mostly hops. Nice, crisp, sharp, clean citrusy hops....very nice.

The only thing that keeps this from being a true session beer is the 7%. Any more than 3-4 of these and I'd be fading out.

An excellent brew, excellent...This is one of my all time favorite brews....

4.77/5  rDev +12%

Lovely clear orange color w/ a fantastic head. The head dwindles to a sticky lace throughout the life of the beer. Outstanding aroma w/ tangerine, lemon-lime, and grapefruit notes. It smells like a west-coast IPA, but better. The taste is phenomenal. The hops hit you over the head like an anvil from 12 stories. Great bitterness, but not too much. This beer showcases the flavors that the Centennial hop can provide. Citrus is an understatement. I like the type of citrus flavors w/ tangerine/orange flavors combined w/ a nice sharp grapefruit bite. A little piney at times too. The hops just dominate this brew. The malts are present, but not the star of the show. The mouthfeel is pretty solid for an IPA. Not too heavy, not too light.

Drinkable doesn't describe this beer. It is a staple. I wish I had this in my fridge all the time. It has incredible complexity and outstanding balance for an IPA. A must have for any beer drinker.

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%

A wonderful beer, I feel obligated to buy one whenever I come across it. Pours a somewhat hazy, copper orange, with a strong, citrusy, hoppy aroma. A modest head leaves a thin, clingy lace. Very intense hop flavor. A bit of a palate buster due to the high hoppiness, but expected from the style, and drinkability doesnt suffer.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Very nice color and clear with a good head. First whiff tells me there are plenty of hops - some pine and slight citrus notes. The first taste is pleasing bitter hops that are like the smell, pine and slight citrus. Very light malt body with a slight hint of roasted caramel malt. Very satisfying and easy to drink. This is a definitely a session beer and an excellent IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Just pouring this beer made me think to myself 'damn, why didn't I drink more of this when it was more readily available?!'

A - Golden hazy in color with a creamy head that teases the top of the glass. Foam hangs around for a while and leaves almost chunks behind and an unevenly laced glass.

S - Yum! A bunch of sweet, a bit citrus, and hops! Wrap that up with a bit of malty caramel. Such a lovely beer

T - Sweet hops and caramelly malts. This beer tugs at your heart strings in both directions.... hmm Two Hearted Ale. Now I get it!

M - Smooth with some carbonation. Not dry. Not a huge aftertaste, but you won't forget it. Really great beer.

D - Drink ability? YES! Bring me another case and another for tomorrow. I don't wanna share! Now leave me alone so I can enjoy my beer!

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

This was from a 1.3 gallon "mini-keg" purchased from a liquor store.

The ale poured a golden, clear orange color with a sustained white head with ample lacing on the conic pint glass.

As I released the vent on the top of the keg the surge of air brought a intoxicating grapefruity hop aroma. This aroma remained evident in the glass as well.

With all of the strong northwest, domestic hop aroma, one would expect a strongly hoppy flavor with a slight malt background. This ale is beautifully balanced between the hop and malt. The gentle hop flavor lingers on the tongue after an initial soft maltiness.

Very good carbonation and a slick mouthfeel from the keg.

This is truly a beautifully balanced beer. It is difficult to believe this ale is 7.0 % ABV. If it were not for the high ABV, this would be a perfect 5.0 for a session ale. Seek out this one. In the Louisville, KY area, you can find it at the Liquor Barns. In southern Indiana, "The Keg" liquor store in Clarkesville stocks this as well.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Reviewed from notes

A- Hazy, golden with nice white head.

S- Floral hop aromas

T- Hoppy with citrus and pine. Decent balanced but not a lot of malt flavors coming through.

M- Smooth with good body.

D- 7% so you can't drink too many.

Pretty good IPA. Definately stands up to others I have had.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

This tasting possible from a trade with NDPDuke, Thank you

P: 12 oz. brown longneck bottle Pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange pour with an intense finger of white foam that lowers slowly to a thin cover and huge lacing to the very bottom of the glass.

S: Bright grapefruit pith, green grass and slightly sweet.

T: Burst of crisp grapefruit pith, not too bitter, that explodes in the mouth that has a nice malt body. The aftertaste is amazing!

M: A joy for the mouth as the grapefruit pith is not an overkill the malts hold up the hops and the tongue is left a with a nice dry taste on the tongue and a great aftertaste on the tongue.

D: This is a great IPA session beer that I only wish my brother-in-law, who lives in MI, would drink instead of can after can of the Bud! I have a mission before me when I visit this spring!
If you should see this on the shelves when looking for a great beer GRAB IT!

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a beautiful amber/orange hue with a good sized pearl white head. The head collapses fairly quickly, but this beer leaves some of the best lacing on the sides of the pint glass that I've seen. The nose makes itself known while pouring the beer into the pint glass. Heavy scents of pine, ripe grapefruit, and orange rind. The floral nose is well done and matches perfectly with the taste. The flavor profile is the winner for me here. Starts out with bitter hops but the delicate pale malt comes into play to round out the bitterness. Fresh citrus fruit flavor, pine, and the sweet malt just work so well. Medium body and medium carbination leaves a slight dry sensation after the drink. The mouthfeel is actually a little creamy as well. I could drink this pretty much anytime of the year. Great offering from Bell's.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

The aroma of this beer hits you the moment you begin to pour it. It pours a lovely somewhat hazy peach-tinged pale orange gold. Paler than I expected, with a nice creamy white two finger head which faded quickly to a thin covering that actually rebuilds when the glass is agitated. Lacing was minimal but present.

The aroma as I said hits you right away, big, citrusy, floral and even hoppily bitter. It's the stongest aroma from any beer I've tried yet. I smelled oranges, grapefruit, tangerines and even peach all in a big floral hoppy breath.

As it warms the taste takes off. There is a big bitter hoppy presence on the finish but the strong malt backbone balances it perfectly. The flavor of grapefruit and citrus dominates but not in a bad way, all the flavors blend in a wonderful balance, from the strong pale malt backbone (perhaps a bit biscuity) to the big citrusy hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is also the creamiest of any beer I've had yet. It's medium bodied with a fine carbonation. Smooth and perhaps slick as well.

This beer grows on me the more I drink it. It's very different from other IPAs I've had, and that's a good thing. Variety and quality is what good beer is all about. This beer is also strong but the alcohol is completely invisible, which is a nod to the the craft that went into brewing this beer. Highly recomended!

3.33/5  rDev -21.8%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice cloudy copper color with a thick head that stays for a while.

S - Good hop smell with some citrus scents.

T - Strong hop flavor with some good bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Good beer. I like this one a lot.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Yummy. I was expecting more of a hop-overloaded blast of this after hearing about it. Hops obviously dominate, however I was impressed with the balance in this. Smells of grapefruit and hops. Taste is grapefruity, gets a little more grassy as it warms, but supported by a nice malt backbone. The sensations of freshly baked bread and oranges, and a sort of nice woody flavor are also apparent. This has none of the off-flavors that I've come across in some heavily-hopped pale ales. Very nice substantial mouthfeel, and the 7% abv is completely hidden. This beer is solidly well-done and really grows on you.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.