Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,463 | Ratings: 13,915
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

As a beer lover I wish I had the writing ability to creatively rate and review a beer like a lot of critics do (just not that fluent of a writer) This beer is deserving of that praise.

This was one of those beers you'd never seen in the Tampa, Florida market without trying to look for it, except in speciality stores. After trying it, what a great beer! I am colored blind, so that hurts me when I rate appearance! My sister and I were playing a game of pool (the exceptional beer tasting environment) when we tried this. It's got a nice "kick" from the 7% ABV, but not where it overpowers the flavor. Great "drinkablility", that's to say it tastes great. No bad after taste and it leaves you wanting to order another one, and probably another ater that. This is one beer you really have to try.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

A special thanks to markgugs for throwing this in as an extra.

Now I know why everyone raves about this beer. The previous time I tried it the bottles must have been old because this one tasted so much fresher and hoppy than before. The hops taste to me is very similar to Stone IPA but with a bit of added citrus character. There is a mildly juicy feel to it, making it very tasty. This definitely has a hop explosion. I must have been very generous last time to even give it a 4.0 for taste.

Ratings upgraded to 4/4.5/4.5/4/4

Many thanks to umustdrink for this beer.

Pours a rich golden color with a pretty nice white fluffy and bubbly head. The smell is actually quite hard to detect. You can get some hops, but not the pungent type of hop aroma I'm use to here in Southern California. The taste is nice for an IPA- sweet malts and citrus mix at the beginning and give way to a refreshing bitterness that you want from an IPA. This is a pretty easy drinker. I like IPA's hoppy so this doesn't fully meet my demands but it was a nice beer anyway.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured into my pint glass from the brown bottle (there was a code....but I could not decipher it: "7992"). I could not tell anything about the freshness of this beer.

The pour produced an immedeate 2" loose head that settled down to about 1/2" prior to consuming. The liquid is a hazy honey color... interesting....hazy.

The smell.... hoppy....a citric hoppiness with some pine sap mixed in.

The taste: NOW.... THAT's what I'm talking about! Great citrusy/hoppy flavor with a hint of a sour fruity complexity and a touch of an alcohol warmth (makes sense for 7% abv).

Mouthfeel: This is my American IPA of reference.... more robust and hoppy than, say, Harpoon IPA.... I like this beer. Carbonation on the light side.... good... VERY Robust!

Drinkability: Good beer for you hop heads (and you know who you are!). Not for the faint of heart.... but a great American IPA. The Bier Band HIGHLY recommends this to any "experienced beer drinker". A BMC lover would HATE this stuff

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

On draft at my sister-in-laws wedding

Appearance: Pours a deep orangish amber with an offwhite head (maybe 1-2 inches). Head quickly fades with some sticky lacing on the glass.

Aroma: My favorite part of this beer. Aromas of fresh herbal hops some citrus, some pine. A balance of several hop varieties. Each playing off each other to give a depth of aroma that keeps you guessing.

Taste: This is an American IPA. Rich full malt with powerful hops. Grapefruit citrus. Cascades hops.By style guidelines its probably on the edge of double IPA with the amount of hop bitterness and flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Full bodied but not thick. Smooth and balanced although very bitter.

Drinkability: If I lived closer to MI or even in a state that sold this, I would drink this every day. Its my favorite Bells and its in the top 5 for favorite American IPA's. Smooth balanced and worth drinking every day.

3.74/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

i was really looking forward to this beer. this is the first from Bells that i have tried. poured nice with a nice head and carbonation. nice lace on the glass.

smelled pleasant. fruity with nice hop smell. the taste was a let down. not a bad taste but not as full of taste as the smell led me to believe.

this beer is drinkable. i have four of the six left so i will sample again in a few days. i doubt if i will change my review but we shall see.

decent choice but not a top ten IPA for me.

suckem up and movem out.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Copper colored with a lot of pure white head. Good clarity, though one has to be careful not to disturb the sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

S - Citrusy, fresh hop aroma. A bit of spicy, meaty smell as well, maby a small degree of autolysis. Took me a long time to identify the last aroma note, it reminded me of Thai food... I finally decided that I can smell a little bit of basil (that is so unusual it is worth another .5 points).

T - Spicy malty and very hoppy. More spicy, phenolic character than citrus elements.

M - Pretty mouthcoating but the hopping rate makes it finish fairly dry and astringent.

D - Very good drinkable IPA. Fairly high bitterness, but I still wish I had another one of these. The only flaw is the hazey, chunky appearance, but I can live with that. Easily one of the best IPAs I have had in a bottle.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Light orange-gold with a monsterous three-finger, large bubbled head.

Aroma is huge with fresh pine boughs, grapefruit, oranges, lemon, sweet bready malt.

Taste is an almost perfect equilibrium, earning a 5.0 for drinkability. Hops run to delicate lemon like sugar-coated christmas gelatin candies, heady phantom floral notes, touches of pine and grapefruit. A light, moussey candy sweetness and mouthfeel offsets the hops with a bit of herbal, earthy flavor.

Not the boldest IPA, nor the most bitter, nor the hoppiest. But it is superbly balanced within the style.... perhaps the best balance of any American IPA I've sampled.

Big thanks to ohmybock for trading a beer I've wanted to try for quite some time.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Another beer I have enjoyed for a while but never reviewed.

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Hazy orange-amber color illuminates, thick three finger head, with moderate lacing.

Pungent floral-citrus aroma - orange, grapefuit with some lemon with a gritty malt finish.

The key word with this AIPA is balance. With it comes the firm hop kick, the resin and malt follow through, and rounded out with a mild bitterness. A hop head's paradise with the dry and puckery feel.

A great AIPA that you could drink for hours. The biggest problem I am having is pacing myself since this beer tastes so good. The 7% keeps you on your toes. It also goes well with my Mexican style food and wonderful summer weather.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a Bell's logo pint glass.Peach colored with a white fizzy head that fades fairly quickly. Smell is grassy with citrus notes. Taste is nice bready slightly nutty body with some serious citrus notes. Grapefruit, orange with slightly sweet malty base. Hops are well balanced and coat the palate for a great lingering aftertaste. This is my favorite IPA. The carbonation, hop balance, slight sweetness are really in perfect harmony. This is one of those "deserted island" type beers.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Beer strikes a nice balance between the hop and malt content. I'm a big fan of Victory Hopdevil and this beer is very similar in many ways. As I cannot get Victory in Nashville, I'll be heading to Bowling Green KY to pick up a half barrel of Bell's finest very soon!

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

a: pours a gorgeous golden orange with creamy head.

s: wonderful fruity and floral smell. smells like orange candy, grapefruit, lemons, and cedar.

t: on palette and citric sharpness (grapefruit) balance by sweet fruit (orange candy). finish is long and fruity.

m: medium body, smooth mouthfeel.

d: pretty refreshing and citrusy, so i'd say drinkability is pretty solid, especially if you love hops.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Golden orange, tangerine-like color with a nice creamy white head. The head leaves big sheets of yummy looking lace all over. Aroma is delightful; ultra juicy with pine resin, flowers, and fresh squeezed citrus. Malts hold up quite nicely too. Taste is extremely pleasant and inviting. The more I have this beer the more it becomes a favorite. Its up there with Alpha King in my book, as far as likability. The texture has both a resiny and juicy feel to it. Very drinkable in most or all ways.

This beer might possibly be made of happiness and joy.

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

A - Pours a darker amber color with a lasting head

S - Piney Citrus hops, Hophead's delight

T - Same as the aroma. Hops,hops, and more hops, some caramel malt is lingering in there. It has some DIPA flavors

M - Light-Medium Bodied, Smooth!

D - If you love hops, pick this beer up

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Golden amber color, mostly clear (draft versions show brilliant clarity). Sticky foam puts up a valiant effort to stay afloat and subsequently leaves a thick blanket of stratified lacing.

Aroma is powerful, attractive, and balanced. The hops are prominent, citric (grapefruit), light in tone but strong of volume. Touch of sweet malt; a little stronger in that department this could be a five for smell. But the hops are so nice...

Before waxing poetic about the hops, the malt profile is light and slightly sweet, with a nod toward a buttery diacetyl (this flavor becomes a little more pronounced with the draft versions I've had, probably as the keg was winding down). The malt is pale, but sugary enough to counteract the intense hopping, which is grapefruit and flowers all the way. Hop oils are very present but I find them pleasing, a tongue-caressing smack of bitterness. I think this is the best tasting IPA I've ever had.

Feeling strange about near perfect scores on everything, I was unduly harsh on the mouthfeel for being just a hair thin. I have encountered examples of the style that have a little more presence, to the point of being almost chewy. Which I love. But the Two Hearted more than makes up for that by being so incredibly drinkable, absolutely a joy to partake of, and sessionably smooth - perfect carbonation keeps everything in check and whisks the oils away leaving a floral aftertaste. Finish is crisp and clean, and not at all bitter or unpleasant afterwards. The hops are present without overpowering anything about the brew. Watch out for the 7%, cause I could drink a case of this stuff.

I've enjoyed this ale on tap many the time, absolutely superlative. So smooth and full of flavor...I've made friends at the bar by picking out pint glasses of Two Hearted by appearance and starting a conversation by talking about the superior quality and eminent drinkability of this beer. The bottled version is by no means a letdown, spot-on style perfection, and a personal favorite IPA.

4.01/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch #7877, bottled March 27, 2007.

Ok, this might be the best looking IPA I've ever had, but not the best. The appearance has a short creamy head with thick lacing. The aroma is just a general citrus punch, a little weak. The flavor picks things up a bit, but it's not as bitter as I expected. It's a smooth bitter that puts it on par with a hearty pale ale. Still, the taste is of wonderfully fruity hop juice. Not overly powerful, but nice. I'd like a little more kick, but it's still a great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up a 6 at Publix this evening. Bell's is new to FL, and since it just arrived about 3 weeks ago I'm sure this is a fresh sample.

Pours golden amber with hint of orange. Medium head retention, very clear. Aroma offers an interesting interplay of biscuity malt sweetness and citrusy hops. This interplay carries well into the flavor - malt with a biscuity tone, fruit, and citrus. Noticible hop flavor, not just aroma and bitterness - undoubtedly dry hopped, very nice.

Overall, an excellent example of an American IPA from a well respected American craft brewery. This beer and Bell's in general are welcome additions to the FL beer scene.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Bell's has recently come to Florida and Exhibit A is why I am glad they have done so.

A: Beautiful straw yellow/orange in color with a head that settles down nicely to one finger. This one is very effervescent with bubbles chasing each other to the top and it has nice lacing for an IPA.

S: The wonderful aroma of hops. Earthy with a beautiful smell of citrus and pine.

T: I really like this one. I have probably drank over a case of it in the past month or so and I have finally gotten around to reviewing it. This one has the taste of wonderful pink grapefruit. The taste is long lasting and finishes with a sting on the tongue from the bitterness of the hops. Nice!

M: Very effervescent, and refreshing

D: This is one of the most sessionable around. I session with Alpha king until I run out and then switch over to Two Hearted for the hot Florida summers.

Overall: This is one of my favorite everyday beers. It refreshing and thirst quenching on a hot day. One of these after mowing the lawn puts me right where I want to be actually lets me honest 2 or 3 puts me right where I want to be. Thanks Bell's for coming to Florida.

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

this is a super popular one... i've had it in the bottle as well, but on tap, it was really something else... golden orange (if there is such a thing) with a nice little head and just the right ammount of carbonation... the nose is floral... so nice i almost enjoy sniffing this beer as much as i do schwilling it... i could go on and on... pleasant piney, floral, unoffensive, grown up taste... goes down like it was meant to... bliss for the mouth, throat, belly and body...

12/14/07 - update... just had to come back and add a bit to one of my first reviews... since the time of my first review, i've had two hearted on cask, on tap, in the bottle, and last night - in the new 5L mini keg. sheer heaven. hazy amberish with lighter feet that seemed to give the beer a glowing appearance. the girl i drank it with commented right away about how she was astounded by the appearance. she's not a beer geek, but appreciates good schwill. said it looked like an airbrushed picture of the perfect beer in a magazine. georgeous off white head that had supernatural retention and lace. this was so good last night out of the mini keg, i want to give it 5's across the board... malt character was caramelly and sweet. a perfect vessel to carry the fruity, floral hops. almost full bodied, silky, smooth mouthfeel. it left me wanting more and more and paired perfectly with the gruyere mac and cheese that we made. hands down, one of the best beers i've ever had. thanks larry bell. if any of you hop lovin' ba's haven't gotten a chance to try this beer out of the 5l can, run to the store now and pick one or two or three up. don't sleep!!! highly highly recommended!

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks Rudge for this one. This beer was dark gold with a real pleasant hop nose to start. The mouthfeel was very smooth with the hops coming into play but an almost English flavour came to mind in the rounded complexity of the finish. This is a very individual IPA that is very drinkable but not a over the top west coast hop monster.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours hazed amber/yellow with a one-finger, creamy white head that slowly descends to a lasting thin cover. Broken rings of lacing stick to glass.

The smell is floral, piney, citric/tropical fruity. Robust aroma.

The taste is floral, piney, citric bitterness upfront. Malty sweetness in the back holds the hops together. As it warms, it becomes more resiny. Slight touch of peppery alcohol in the long finish.

Chewy, creamy, rich body. Hoppiness lingers.

A hop-head delight here! Wish it were available in my area. Thanks to dekker0 for this hop treat!

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass with a very good looking orange/golden color. Very nice looking brew.

S: Outrageously tasty smell. Smells of fresh hops just picked from the vine. Couldn't wait to try this beer;

T: Good lord. This is an IPA for hop heads. Very balanced with a great hop presence. The taste is so flavorful and smooth and the alcohol is hidden better then Waldo. One of the best IPAs I have had.

D: Overall an outstanding beer and one of the best IPAs I have had.

Two Thumbs Way Up

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Pale golden to straw, medium head, a bit of lacing in flecks.

S - Strong grapefruit flesh and pith with a touch of pine. The smell is an excellent IPA aroma.

T - Light malt, floral hops and grapefruit. Aftertaste is malty with a bit of a faint bitterness. A bit biscuity.

M - Smooth, thin, refreshing.

D - Pretty good. I would definitely have this again . . . if just to smell it.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured a nice orange-ish color with a white head that disapates nicely. It just smells of grapefruity hops, sweet and tangy. It has a nice smooth bite, and a sweet malt that is phenominal. The alcohol is hidden quite well in this one, as well as a little sticky, but that what makes a good beer, right?

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%

Packaged in a 12 oz amber crown cap bottle
Served at fridge temp about 35F
Big, pungent hop aroma at the bottle neck
Pours with a thick body, producing a full off white head.
Appearance: Amber-orange, very slightly hazy, leaves an excellent lace.
Taste: Assertive citrusy bitterness dominates. Not as malty as expected.
Drinkability: Big hop load makes a good example of an American style IPA. Hop flavor apparent and balanced with the hop aroma, containing earthy and citrus components. Could use a little more malt flavor to enrichen it. Highly recommended for hop heads.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

I picked this up at Earth Fare Raleigh (Brier Creek) for $8.99 (six-pack). I keep hearing good thing's about Bell's brews, and I've tried their stout, porter, and Oberon. These have all been solid beers, so I thought their IPA would be worth trying. That is an understatement!

This beer pours a dark straw yellow in my pint glass. A one-finger head of ecru foam persisted for some time before dissolving into a thin lacing that continued to cover the surface. The aroma is mainly of hops and citrus, with some pine and floral notes. It's a fresh-smelling beer, to say the least.

The flavor is bright citrus with a big, but smooth, hoppy finish. Very little detection of malts. Smooth, refreshing, and really hits the spot. I found the carbonation to be a bit much, but that's hardly an objective criticism. This is a well-made brew that stands out in the dense forest of American craft IPAs.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.