Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,463 | Ratings: 13,916
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Light orange, amber color with a thick white head. Somewhat cloudy with some bubbles from the carbonation.

Smell: Notes of citrus, pine, hops, and tropical fruit such as mango. There are also some floral and spruce notes (almost like sap).

Taste: Mildly bitter, which is to be expected out of an American IPA. Has obvious citrus notes from the hops, as well as a spruce/sap/pine flavor. It also has a crisp, refreshing finish which is delicious. Overall the taste follows the nose really well.

Mouthfeel: Does not taste alcoholic at all. It is slightly carbonated which gives the beer its crisp feel. This beer is also fairly smooth and well balanced. The flavors work well together and create a delicious citrus aftertaste.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. It isn't overly bitter like a lot of IPAs are. The flavors work really well together. I would highly recommend this beer to those who want a flavorful beer that isn't sweet or overly bitter.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank this from a tap. Nice golden orange with a 1 inch cream head. Smelled mildly tropical. Taste was an explosion of tropical fruit with the predominance of mango. Sweetly spicy with a hop forward taste. It was easily drank with a cool and clean finish. Loved it.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is very flavorful with lots of hoppy notes. I found it slightly acidic with a hint of nutty flavors. It is crisp, refreshing and has floral undertones.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a slightly hazy orange-amber color with a one half inch white head, virtually no lacing. Smells of citrus, tropical fruit and pine. Taste follows the smell with hops first and foremost, a nice malt flavor, very slight bitterness. Lightly carbonated, very smooth, almost velvety. Excellent beer.

3.84/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Instant classic. I've had it many times, but after drinking two, one right after the other, I figured I'd give it a review. In appearance, it has a dark solid gold orange color. Quarter inch thick head, and lots of flavor. Easily one of the most refreshing APA's out there. It's got bold rich hoppy flavor at the onset and finishes cold and refreshing. A must have, and an overall great beer.

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Had in a pint glass on tap.

Looks: golden amber color, off-white head
Smell: Moderate pine hops, caramel
Taste: Hop forward (mostly pine and citrus), a little spiciness from the hops, sweet pale malt, fairly bitter overall.
Feel: Smooth, creamy, moderate to light carbonation, medium bodied.

Overall a pretty good IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a slightly hazy Light orange Amber. Nice lacing half finger white head.

Smell is very subtle tropical fruit. A little mango and a little pineapple. Getting some bubblegum and citrus.

Taste is similar to the nose, very slight tropical goodness. Mango, pineapple, and getting some bubblegum. Very subtle bready malt backbone, no bite whatsover.

Very smooth mouthfeel, almost velvety. To me it's the highlight of it all.

I do not know if it is my taste in beers or something else, but just do not see what all the hype is about. It is not a bad beer, just nothing that stands out. The more I drink it the less I like it actually. Tastes like a slightly less pure alcohol hop slam.

3.89/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I must admit, I'm a fruit bomb guy. Great color and nice head on the pour. Nice floral nose but taste, for me, is too hops focused. I like a little more extract for mouth feel too. However, if this is your floral hop head style, it could be amazing (it does have impeccable balance). I'd be happy to drink again, but not my favorite by a stretch.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Sampling a bottle packaged approximately 6 weeks ago.

A: Hazy gold. As mentioned before, I like my commercial beer crystal clear.

S: Smells of hops, but there isn't one particular attribute that overwhelms. Little yeast aromas.

T: Wow this is smooth for a 7% beer. No alcohol bite. Hop flavor is a wonderful balance of citrus and pine. Clean finish. Malt is present but is in harmony.

M: Creamy smooth carbonation up front. Perfectly balanced. Enough bitterness to balance without overwhelming,

O: I've had this beer many times over the years. I know it's good but I don't typically go back and re-sample. This time I did and I'm glad because this is a really solid beer. Nothing really stands out about it, but overall it's really well balanced from all angles. Just wish it was filtered!

3.94/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from a bottle dated 1/06/16 into the modified tulip glass.
A - Beautiful clarity, honey colored backdrop offers a fine view of the stream of carbonation.
The cap, is off white and laced all the way.
S - Malty, floral, hint of spearmint, and orchid. Wonderful pine notes.
T - Touch of deciduous, sweet malt base is not overwhelming. a hop bite is quite nice.
M - Solid body, a bit slick at the onset, with the carbonation cleaning up the end.
O - A wonderful offering, this could be a staple here if it was more widely available.
Cheers all

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a craft staple in the Michigan area. It's a bottle conditioned ale with plenty of that robust piney flavor. This is my "Go to" beer if the selection is limited or if I'm just looking for a trusted favorite. I hold this Michigan favorite in high regard to all other IPA's.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I constructed a contest between two of my favorite Midwest breweries (for which there are at least five) to see who made the best IPA (a style I shy away from, but is hard to avoid.)
In this contest, my second mistake was that I tasted both while eating leftover pizza when the style should be paired with spicy food.
Since I structured the contest wrong, it should be a draw.
So it is.
I rate this very, very close to Lagunitas' IPA (which follows.)
The big difference is Bell's seems to have more control over its use of hops to blend the overall taste more distinctively.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is listed as one of the "1001 Beers To Taste Before You Die" and it deserves to be there by popular acclaim.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer is a lovely amber/honey color with a vigorous creamy head that leaves a delicate lace on the glass as it recedes. The smell is piney citrus with and underlying sweetness. The taste is satisfyingly complex with layers of hoppy goodness supported by a perfectly subtle malty foundation underneath. The mouthfeel is clean and refreshing...a lovely ipa.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A delicious honey-colored IPA that goes down smoothly. Very drinkable and will definitely be a repeat purchase down the road. The citrus flavors are excellent. If this was a little hoppy-er it would be a favorite. A tasty brew none the less.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Picked up a sixer at the Belmont station. Reading the threads, two hearted gets a lot of love. I think the best thing about two-hearted is how smooth it is. Really goes down nicely. Reminds me more of an English IPA vs American IPA. I guess I am used to IPAs with the hops in your face. Glad I got to try, but better IPAs in my neck of the woods.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into IPA glass. It pours a cloudy, honey-orange color with a thick, milk-white head and extensive lacing. It has all the classic IPA smells: pine needles, grapfruit, orange peel, and floral hops, and a whiff of caramel, but the smells are rather subtle and not as dramatic as with some of the West Coast IPA's I've had. While all the smells can be tasted, I especially like the orange or tangerine. There is lots of bitter hoppiness but the citrus is really refreshing. This ale is medium-bodied, moderately carbonated, and with an ABV of 7% it's really drinkable. It's refreshing and a really pleasant IPA to drink. I understand, and concur, with its excellent rating.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Pours hazy golden orange, big fluffy white head
S- Juicy pine hops, floral hops, hint of resin, grapefruit, orange, citrus
T- Bold hops up front, finishes with a nice biscuit malt presence
F- Full bodied, moderate carbonation, crisp
O- Really outstanding IPA

I'm not sure that I get the obsession with this beer. To me, it's well balanced and easy to drink, making it very solid, however the flavor/aroma doesn't blow me away. I will say the more I drank it, the more I enjoyed it.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- This pours a cloudy dark gold/amber color with an initial thick fluffy foam head that is white in color itself. This settles rather quickly into a thin layer over the beer with what look like little crop circles scattered everywhere! The yeasty haze makes it too difficult to see what the carbonation appears to be and as for lacing, well, it is alright, but eventually all of the small patches of foam slide back into the liquid nectar! It looks alright overall, just nothing special I guess.

S- Well this definitely smells of an IPA style Ale! There are many aromas of heavy hop bitterness, but blended into this are hints of malt sweetness that are become quite caramel like as it warms, floral Earthy tones, yeasty creaminess and lingering citrus fruits on the finish.

T- This is a very well balanced IPA and the flavors follow the nose rather well....the caramel sweetness is much more than I would have first guessed but balances the floral hop bitterness on the finish rather nicely....the citrus character shows itself more and more as this warms up towards room temperature, and also gets creamier and more robust as time goes on....superb overall!

M/O- This is medium/full bodied in my opinion and where I thought this would be in terms of bitterness was surprisingly smooth and balanced...don't get me wrong, there is plenty of bitterness, but it is refined and doesn't overpower....this makes for a highly drinkable Ale. This is also exquisite with Lindt Dark Lime Zest chocolate as an accompaniment.....I would buy this again, but it isn't available in my area...I was lucky to get this in a trade some time ago....it holds up well against the ravages of time for your information! Cheers!

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bells Brewery is one Ive been hearing about for sometime, but never have been able to find some until now.
This two hearted ale is everything I've heard about and more. Its 7.0 % but its taste like much less, which is something I like from time to time with IPA. This isn't the most hoppy IPA, but this beer would for sure get people into more IPA's

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a single bottle. Pours amber with light orange. Smells less distinct than the West Coast hop bombs (love that strong smell) but is representative of a good IPA. Very good balance in taste between malt and the good hops. Light on carbonation, aftertaste and feel on the tongue is just about perfect. Hides its 7% ABV very well. Really a well-balanced IPA, would be a great introduction to the style for a beginner.

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

Have had this several times, finally getting around to doing a review. Had this on tap at mellow mushroom. Color is a deep golden with a slight orange hue. The flavors and aroma were nice and floral, definite british hops notes...they were just a little light, could have used more flavor. Mouthfeel was nice for an ipa, very smooth. To be honest...this is an above average IPA, but feels a bit overrated.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Scoring this high with a 7%ABV and $10/six, don't know of more good beer for your money. For now, my go-to beer. This is (for my palate) much closer to a British pale ale or bitter, vice the citrus and pine IPAs now ubiquitous here.

The pour looks to me again, like a British pale ale, a warm bronze-orange body with a tight, ecru head dissipating to a ring. I picture it on a worn oak bar--it's that familiar.

Smooth, rich, complex...it has it all. The finish is stunning, bursting with a crisp zing reminiscent of older, famous eastern European pilsners. How they pull that off and keep the mature bitter snap to it is beyond me, but why analyze a sunset?

95 is a very high score, but well deserved. If you factor in bang for your buck, it's way closer to 100. Next time I have it, gonna make sure I have some serious pretzels. That's the only thing this beer doesn't bring to the table.

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Just had out of the pint can and into a tulip glass. It's a beer I have often and have respect for because of it's consistency. This smells of citrus and an overall floral bouquet, some lavender is there which I find unique to two hearted ale. It tends to the floral side and less to the tropical fruit and resin of a west coast style IPA, but hints of these are in the nose, however. That being said the taste is refreshingly bitter with a pleasant presence of malt, not sweet but truly balanced. It is a remarkable beer for what it is year in and year out. I can taste a slight variation in the hop profile between batches, but the floral component is always there. It's a classic ale that I will always gravitate towards when I want something familiar and simply good. It's not a flavor bomb, but subtle and floral like the difference between a French Sancerre and California Sauvignon Blanc in wine terms. It's more subtle and nuanced for an IPA and that makes it worthy of being a classic, always welcome in my fridge.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.