Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,478 | Ratings: 13,976
4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Another awesome IPA extra from autumnaldave!

Pours a hazy golden/amber color, good size head with some lacing.

Smell has a strong floral hop aroma, pretty much all I can make out, there is a slight citrus aroma accompanied by a fruity ester, but it is pretty subtle.

Taste is initially hoppy but slowly mellows out in taste while in the mouth, might have to do with the creaminess of the beer, goes down smooth and crisp, leaves a nice bitter linger long after drinking. I have a hard time believing this is 7.0% as the alcohol content is very well hidden.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Great brew. Aroma is heavy hops with apple and a dash of oak. Pours a dark yellow with a frothy off-white head with excellent lacing. Taste is beautifully IPA with a nice bitter finish over its long duration. Light to medium body, creamy mouthfeel with something just south of lively carbonation. A nice warming finish. Leaves me feeling exceptionally refreshed, I could drink a lot of this stuff!

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle shows a fish on it... after a few, it makes for interesting conversation... anyway...
A - poured a deep copper with a smallish white head that laced but didn't last.
S - picked up some floral and citrus, nice and strong.
T - good kick of bitter piney hops.
M - Some citrus aftertaste, the bitter holds the tongue.
D - Very enjoyable, I blew through the 6 pack quicker than I expected, must go get more.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle received in a trade with Jay23 Thanks for the opportunity.

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color with a fluffy white head that leaves lots of lacing as it drinks. Aroma is all hops. Spicey, piney, grapefruity hops in all their glory. Taste is more hops with a little malt struggling to get through. Medium mouthfeel and ample carbonation round this brew out well. Pretty good IPA. I couldn't drink to many of these, but nice brew just the same.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times and haven't reviewed it for some reason. Perhaps I was just making an excuse to have it again. Color is a bright amber with a chunky white head. Lacing like crazy here. Smell is of fresh, crisp hops. Very complex. A vast array of fruits meet the nose, though mostly citrus. One of the most fragrant beers I've had (though HopSlam takes the grand prize there). Taste is loaded with bitter hops, though remains well balanced considering how hoppy it is. Medium body with satisfactory carbonation. Definitely one I will return to again and again, especially because it seems to show itself in unexpected places.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Awesome IPA, nice story behind it too. As American IPA's get more and more popular, I think it's important to recognize this one as one of the early wave makers. Pours a wonderful sticking head, smells perfect, tastes reaaal nice. What is really weird, is flashing-back to my days of beer ignorance and trying this beer for the first time thinking what a bitter smelly beer! Now IPA's are my fav.

Pours a light copper orange with thins foamy head that beautifully laces down the glass.

Smells of citrus hops with some light malt. Suprisingly clean aroma for an IPA. Tastes almost sweet, not tart like some IPAs. The citrusy hops bring out a more orange like flavor than the common grapefruit/piney flavor. Sweet malt compliments and makes this beer almost sessionable. Feels good, slightly thick. I only call this slightly thick because as easy as it is to drink I would excpect an almost watery lager like beer instead of an IPA at 7%.

I would get this beer again. Not the greatest IPA, but if I saw it on a menu or in the cooler I would put it in my choices.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

A. Ruby/brownwith thin head that leaves a lacing

S. orange wand grapefruit lead the citrusy smells

T. grapefruit and hoppy taste but not overpowering. dare i say, this may be a little smoother than the Nugget Nectar.

M. creamy with a little sharpness to it

D. Very drinkable. smooth and mild with great citrus flavors. Wasn't a big fan of IPA's before but they are difinitely growing on me and this is the best one yet by far

Honey orange hues with a fluffy white head. Aroma of orange zest and bubblegum. More of the same in flavor on a of soft malty backbone that straddles the line of dry and sweet. Medium body with a beautiful finish of delicate hops redolent of orange blossoms.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

L:Clear orange brownish color. One finger white frothy head.
S:Excellent fresh grapefruit. In the middles it smells like fresh cut grash. Very resiny. Just a touch of biscuit.
T:Light caramel fullness all throughout. Big citrusy creamy grapefruit hoppiness.
M:Rich fat bubbles give it an awesome round feeling. Very creamy
D:This is by far one of the most well balanced IPA's. I love this beer, I can sit down a drink a ton of this.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Recently scored this from a friend returning from MN. This one took me by surprise, as one new to Bell's I was not sure what to expect.

The appearance was slightly hazy with a light amber hue.
The thing that really surprised me about this beer was the smell. It reminded me of the sweet piney aroma of a DIPA but in a very drinkable single IPA.
The taste was unfortunately not as nice as the aroma suggested, it felt a little unbalanced to me possibly in the malt department.
This is my ideal summer beer

UPDATE:
After having this beer a few more times from my initial tasting almost a year ago, I have a completely different view of it. I realize now I was being overly critical of this beer especially when it came to the malts used. I think I was looking at Two Hearted Ale as a DIPA when I should have been looking at it as it truly is; a beautifully clean and satisfying IPA with an excellent balance of bitterness and floralness. I have to say this is one of my favorite beers now and most certainly my favorite IPA. Too bad for me I can only get it when my roommate goes home.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first review, so bear with me.

12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a hazy, ruddy orange color, almost amber with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates after a few moments. Minor amount of lacing.

S: Lots o' citrus. kind of reminds me of the smell of orange juice that has been reduced, with a healthy amount of floral hops tossed in.

T: Much like the smell, some very nice hoppiness accented by the citrus sweetness and balanced out nicely with some earthy malt. Aftertaste is fantastic. Not too bitter, but defiantly a noticeable floral hops flavor that lingers for quite a while.

M: Pretty light in body, same with carbonation. I don't think this diminishes the beers quality though. Not as overwhelming as many of the IPAs I have had are. Has a nice crispness to it.

D: I could drink these just about anywhere at anytime, but particularly when I am eating something spicy.

I was never much of an IPA guy until I had this, and it is still my favorite. I would recommend it to anyone.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper body with a large, foamy white head.

Smell: Pale malt aroma with notes of flowers, zesty citrus, and cooked pineapple rings.

Taste: Pale maltiness with a light touch of caramel sweetness. Fruity, even juicy citrus and pineapple flavors. Moderate bitterness and acidity. Crisp, relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine example of an IPA!

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into a snifter from a single 12 oz bottle bought at a local Whole Foods about 1 week ago. I have also had this on tap several times. Small head with minimal lacing. Not a lot of active carbonation. Turbid golden color that glows orange when held up to the light.

Smells of sweet citrus fruit - more of an orange rind than the more common grapefruit I pick up from IPAs. Some earthy, grainy malts. I'm picking up something a little of offputting that I can't quite describe(maybe oxidation).

Hops dominate the palate. Malts not very apparent. Dry finish. Hops don't linger.

Somewhat watery mouthfeel. Carbonation a little low from the bottle, but was more effervescent when I had it on tap.

I think overall an average IPA. This bottle may have been a little "off" judging by the low, inactive carbonation. I'm a fan of Bells (especially their Expedition Stout), but I was not very impressed with this beer even the several times I had it on tap. I'm surprised it ranks in the top 100. I have had many better IPAs.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

got a few of these through a trade from another internet discussion board.

A - Poured it from a bottle into a pint galss. It was cloudy amber color. There was a very thick head and plenty of lacing.

S - Lots of citrus smell and very sweet also. Almost smelled like a hoppy pine car air freshener if that makes sense.

T - Same as the smell. Citrusy hops and sweet malt taste. Great aftertaste.

M - Nicely carbonated. Pretty dry.

D - I was sad to drink my last one because it will be a long time before I get any more. I wish I could drink this every day. I guess with my local selection I really can't complain though.

Overall a solid beer.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks to Muenchner for this delicious brew.

Pours a slightly hazy orange. Nice inch white head. Mouthfeel is deliciously oily. It's not a thick beer, but has a great texture.

Smells like citrus and floral hops. Less pine than most "hoppy" beers I try. Taste is truly outstanding. This is probably my new favorite IPA. The beer I think it probably reminds me the most of is 3Floyds Dreadnaught (my favorite DIPA). It's sweet, but has tons of hoppy bitterness to offset the malt and tropical fruits.

Very good.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks jay23
Bottle poured a nice clear golden yellow with a good two finger head

Incredible floral hops aromas along with citrus and pine

Another surprise to me that this beer was much sweeter than I expected more malt forward then the nice piney citric hops kick in

Clean light palate nice carbonation

Very drinkable, terrific IPA one of my tops so far

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance: Slightly hazy gold, decent head.

Smell: Citrus, lots of it.

Taste: Leans towards the hoppy side, but relatively balanced between a bready sweetness and citrus bitterness. Can get some astringency in the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Pretty good, but for some reason I usually only drink one of these in a sitting.

Some people swear by Two Hearted, for some reason it doesn't always sit with me very well. I like hoppy beers and this fits the bill, plus brings along some sweetness, but just isn't one of my favorites. Seems to be a little better on tap than bottled.

A - A beautiful amber pale ale. Very rich almost red.

S - Hoppy with very sweet undertones.

T - OH MY GOD> It is amazing. It is one of the sweetest hoppiest beers i have ever had. This is amazing.

M - A little syrupy for a IPA but very nice.

D - Could drink it all day and have. Great summer ale.

One of my favorites of all time.

4.44/5  rDev +4.2%

On the lighter side of the IPA spectrum, but that's okay. Clear golden body with a thin head and decent amounts of lacing.

All Centennial hops here. That's alright because they are great for aroma and flavor as well as bittering.

The hops hit you first and foremost. They don't scream at you like some IPA's can, but the malt is just a a tad too muted for the style. It's there, though, if only faintly.

Mouthfeel is carbonated very well, but seems a touch thin. Real snappy, almost peppery finish. It seems like this beer is meant to be had a bit colder than most in the style as it's lightness in body is rather refreshing.

This is my favorite beer. I won't be one of those guys that give it all fives, because I know stylistically it's a bit light on the malt side of things, but if you're a hophead go out and get some.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured an attractive orange/amber color with nice white head that hangs around a while and leaves good lacing. Aroma is piney and citrusy hoppiness. Flavor is beautiful balance of maltiness and hoppiness that again is piney and citrusy. Mouthfeel is perfect and drinkability is great. This is one fine IPA.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to limesmut for this one!

A: Slightly hazy amber with a 2 finger white head.

S: Nicely floral and aromatic. Slight toffee sweetness. Very nice.

T: Floral, piny hops. Definitely some grapefruit. Bit of a nice hop juiciness, with nice balance from a touch of caramel and toffee.

M: Just the right fullness with a good crisp finish and a nice lingering bitterness.

D: Extremely good.

Highly recommended. One of the best single IPAs I've had outside of California.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Brown long neck bottle, no date, but what appears to eb a batch number.

A - Poured out a brilliant, slightly hazy, deep golden orange. It developed a moderate head that settled back down quickly.

S - Bright flowery hops and some malty sweetness.

T - Balanced bitterness and a malty sweetness

M - the hops are strong and upfront, but the malts provide a decent balance. Its almost as good an IPA as Stone's. The controlled carbonation and moderate body make this very approachable. Excellent with spicy food.

D - Very solid IPA. Not something to quaff in large quantities, but an excellent example of the style.

I'd recommend it.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is a heavenly American IPA. Excellent hop balance -- enough bitterness and hop presence to make it phenomenal, without overdoing it and sending it to the second-tier West Coast variety. This is definitely a top-tier ale not to be missed, among the best that Bell's brews.
It is complex enough to go with a variety of cuisine -- try with an artisan gourmet pizza.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%

12 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with pimpp, thanks for giving me the chance to try this very popular IPA from Bell's

Poured into my enormous Bell's one liter mug with a deep orange color that had a golden tint when held up to the light, soapy 1/2 white head that stuck around for about three minutes, decent retention, and some small amounts of lacing at the beginning

Smell was great, tons of different hop aromas, strong resin and floral scents, some sweet citrus as well, good amount of malt on the nose, large amounts of nice smelling hoppiness overall

Taste was nice with a dry hoppy flavor right off the bat that led to some pineapple and orange, followed by some more bitterness in the finish, this one got sweeter as it warmed and the citrus really started to overshadow some of the dryer hop variations, liked the way this tasted better colder, charcoal-like taste at first was good and small amount of malt complemented the hoppiness well, very nice india pale ale overall

Perfect amount of carbonation, the body seemed a little too thick for an IPA and could have probably passed for a DIPA, taste did not last very long either, pretty good mouthfeel overall

Could probably drink a six pack of this because it is very light on the stomach and it goes down easy, although the seven percent alcohol could really catch up to me, making me unsure about how good this could be as a session beer

This beer definitely deserves to be in the top one hundred, it is one of the better regularly available india pale ales out there, could definitely drink more of this in the future, the people that have access to the mini kegs of this are lucky, highly recommended

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.