Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

YOUR RATING = None |
Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,443 | Ratings: 13,812
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I like this one better on tap than bottle--of course, that's almost always true, but in this case I've had both on multiple occasions. This is a well-rounded IPA, but I'd prefer a bit more flavor. That's just my preference. It seems to do better on a clean palette. This may be my next favorite IPA after Avery's.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

This IPA pours a darker golden amber with a bright white head that holds very well and clings to the glass leaving great big walls of foamy lace.

Big, hoppy, piney aroma. Sweet, malty citrus: orange peel and grapefruit. Slightly spicy, but mostly lots of pungent floral/bitter hops. Exactly what I look for in this style.

Even more hops, bitter and mouthwatering. Some toasty malt and citrus. Subtle notes of pine and spice. Really well balanced and complex in flavor. Not a jumble of flavors; everything is well pronounced and organized. The flavors blend beauitfully.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Crisp and bitter but with a good lingering hoppiness. Not too dry. One of my favorite everyday IPAs. Also one of the best representations of the style that I can think of. Flavorful and very well balanced. Really excellent.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz picked up in Madison from some of the best coworkers a beer guy could wish for. Poured into a shaker pint while grooving to the Cowboy Junkies.

Beautiful orange... very pretty color... like a translucent orange poppy... a little hop haze is expected.. pillowy 1-finger head.

You know this is going to be good... huge citrus aroma with a little pine needles. I've always thought Two Hearted is one of the best smelling IPA's ever.. that being said, this one may be a little aged... but still it blows most others out of the water... some nice caramel malts are apparent but are whispy.. overpowered easily by the hops.

Tastes very much like a West Coast IPA.. great balance... perfect balance for an IPA... not overly bitter... mmm. Grapefruit and lime leaves... malts are very prescent, but hard to pick apart. Toast and biscuits. Perfect mouthfeel and carbonation despite the rough luggage ride. Yummy.

Two Hearted and I go back a couple of years, and this time is not my favorite... maybe not the freshest bottle... but, I hate saying this (living in the West), a never ending keg of brewery fresh Two Hearted is my desert island beer ... as long as I have a nice malty German keg too. :)

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

I have long been a fan of Bell's, but somehow never tried the two hearts. After hearing all the hype surrounding this beer, I finally decided to try it with a friend. The results are as follows:

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle and immediately noticed the amazingly rich golden color that is very hazy...similar to a hefeweisen. I would say this beer must be unfiltered. On top lay a frothy white head that worked its way down to a thin layer of lacing from edge to edge of the glass. I honestly don't know how this could be improved, so I gave it a perfect 5.0 on the appearance.

The aroma of this beer is nothing short of enticing. I smell some hops but mostly fruit...probably dried apricots or something similar.

Finally, the taste. A little hard to describe. It's a simple beer that just tastes good. Not incredibly hoppy, and definitely not malty while it rests in the mouth. Well balanced, but with no distinguishing (i.e. overbearing) flavors sticking out. The beer does seem to be dry hopped as it goes down the throat (in no way is this unpleasant!).

I want to keep drinking this beer just to figure out what that taste is. That means I ranked the drinkability high.

My review of the taste may seem harsh, but in reality it's just because I'm having trouble describing it. An amazing beer overall...definitely living up to the hype.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

12-oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Pretty orange amber, good clarity, pleasing medium sized head, decent retention, medium lacing.

S = A very strong hops bouquet. Can also detect the sweetness of the malt though, this is not simply a hopheads delight. Good floral highlights but more complex than simply hops.

T = Hops are immediately apparent in the taste, but there is also a sweet malt flavor, slight caramel taste, some fresh cut lemons, fresh cut flowers. More complex than most IPAs I've had recently. A very good flavor, very well balanced.

M = Light to medium body, good carbonation, good mouthcoating. It makes my mouth happy.

D = Good drinkability whether looking for a one time IPA to enjoy or for several to enjoy in an evening. I definitely recommend this beer.

3.38/5  rDev -20.7%

A- Well this is quite a beautiful IPA. Semi-translucent Rusty-orange-amber body that pours with an impressive 3 finger foamy off-white head. Head fades slowly to one finger and has great retention. Plenty of lacing is left behind in the glass.

S- Quite promising. A beautiful bouquet of hops with a citrus aroma upfront and pine, floral, and grassy mixing well in the background.

T- Initial flavor is mild and highlights a balance of citrus and grassy hop flavor. Floral and pine hop flavor seem to mix well for the finish-with the floral hop flavor being semi-dominant. A blast of hop bitterness also enters for the finish. All that lingers is a medium strength resonance of hop bitterness. All the beautiful hop flavors are gone.

M- Medium to high carbonation and mildly oily body.

D- After having great IPAs like Alesmith, Racer 5, Centennial, and SN Anniversary this one doesn't even compare to me. Its not bad-and I can certainly drink it but is only an average IPA to me. I was somewhat disappointed because it could not compare.

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%

This review is of the 5 L mini-keg that just made its way to South Central PA. Kudos to Westy's for bringin' in a whole pallet of 'em. If you feel strongly that I should classify the serving type as something else, drop me a beermail.

A: The ale has a hazy orange color, like a tea or apple juice. The keg pours with a thick 3 plus finger head that requires two pours to fill my glass. Light hints of dried lace evidence that head.

S: The nose is hoppy delicious, thick with orange peel and citrus notes. Solid but subtle caramel malts support the hop nose.

T: Does life get any better than sittin' and sippin' on an IPA like this? The hop profile in this beer is damn near perfect, an excellent blend of citrusy tangerine and sweet but bitter orange peel. Caramel graininess mid-sip seems to rejuvenate the mouth, resetting it for the blast of hops at the end of the sip. The hop profile, either warm or cold, is a real treat, bitter without scalding the tastebuds. This is, by far, one of my all-time favorites.

M: Sweet pungent hops dominate the ale, creating an incredible hop profile that almost defies words. This is easily one of the best IPAs that you'll ever encounter.

D: With proper focus and devotion, I think that i could finish the mini keg in one day. As it is, it'll probably only last two days (this is a good one for the Ravens MNF game). This is not the only mini keg that I'll be purchasing.

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

A- Orange/brown with yellow highlights. This beer is non transparent. After a semi agressive pour, it leaves a bright white head of only one finger. After drinking this one down, it leaves a little sticky lace on the glass and the 1/8" of bright white film still covers the top of the surface.

S- Man, where to begin. This to me is one of the greatest aspects of this beer. The first smell to me is pineapple. Next, I pick up oranges (citrus) and alot of hop smell. I also can pick up bananas on the end of the nose.

T- The tastes follow closely with the nose: very hoppy, fruity and sweet. I can detect that this is a moderately high ABV beer since I can taste the alcohol, but very well hidden. It also leaves a bitter after taste.

M- Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Middle thickness, carbonation is just right and the malt applied makes this beer smooth as silk.

D- Very drinkable beer. Easy going down, easy on the nose. I love seeing this one in my glass knowing it is mine.

I really like this beer! For what it is worth, this is one of my new favorite beers. I just wish I did not have to fly up north to pick it up. I usually visit MN for work, so I know the next time I go there what will be flying back home with me in my luggage.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Cought a few of these (mind the pun) over Thanksgiving. Beautiful label that matches an equally beautiful pour. Good colored head heaping with a hoppy smell. The first bite was tastey and resolved itself well without stingy like lesser pale ales. Sitting on the table through out the meal this beer lost little of its flavor as it returned to near room temperature. Not a beer for everyone because of its strong taste, but certainly a good choice for anyone looking for an IPA to love.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

V.07

An extremely inviting pour of a golden-hued darling is well carbonated, with a fair amount of patchwork lacing. Unfortunately, the aromatics aren't as pronounced as the flavor, but it'll suffice. Two Hearted has more of a vegetable hop rather than citric, and I wouldn't isolate pine as noteworthy. Refreshing with a focused delivery, as an upfront juicyfruit dominates hop bitterness and ends up "wet", but with a mild soap finish.
Highly recommended.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

There's probably not many folks that need me to tell them this a good drinkin' beer.

A beatiful golden hue sends up a delicious blossom of hops to the nose.

The first sip of Bell's Two Hearted Ale nearly tricks you into thinking it's a sweeter beer, but the bitter hoppiness on the backside reminds you that you're drinking a nice, hearty Pale.

All in all an excellent beer. Good smells, great taste, pleasurable on the tongue.

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

I like this beer, a lot.

A - Golden-orange color, poured a bubbly 1" head that sat down to a nice creamy 1/2"

S - Initial pine scent, a lot of hops, with an uncommon lingering sweetness, almost like sugar, sort of like standing next to one of those stands at the fair that makes the candied almonds, mmm.

T - A lot of hoppy bitterness, balanced well with a malty richness. Finishes with a lot of hops. Bitterness hangs on the tongue and mouth indefinitely. If you're familiar with rating wine, the taste of this beer definitely has a long decay, lingering well after the sip is gone - that's a good thing.

M - Smooth and light at first, pretty good with a decently balanced ABV for this American IPA. Stays smooth, and becomes a little heavier when it unavoidably mixes with your saliva as your mouth waters from the bitterness and deliciousness.

D - As the taste fades from each sip, I want to go back for more. A very drinkable beer, not to heavy (though the alcohol content should be noted), a very satisfying blend of hop and malt for an American IPA. This is a staple go-to beer for me.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Finally got my hands on some more Bells after they pulled out of Illinois. This IPA pours a cloudy golden orange liquid with a decent amount of carbonation trails. A nice fluffy chunky head leaves thick sticky lace about the glass. Powerful floral and fruity hops nose. Some piney grass elements. Taste is a full on hoppy affair. Seems some what tempered by sweet malt elements. The sweetness also hints at grapefruit and green apples. Mouthfeel is fairly full for such a hop centered brew. Finishes a bit tart. I found this to be a drinkable beer, not something you want to session, but a good dinner or conversation beer.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

The appearance is golden, somewhat cloudy with a rich creame head. It has a great flora aroma which lets you know immediatly what you're about to experience. The tast is upfront with a high hop tast. It is very bitter in the true essence of an IPA style beer.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Thanks to NCSUdo for the sample.

Nice 3 finger head with great head retention. Cloudy orange color.

Smell is of faint pale malts and of strong cascades (I think).

Taste is nicely balanced between pale malts and cascade hops. Very nice flavor.

Mouthfeel: Tastes like it was injected with carbonation. That's my only problem with this beer.

Such a nice and balanced beer. I could make a session out of this.

3.82/5  rDev -10.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Poured a hazy orange-gold with a golden-white head of decent size and density.

S: Very fragrant hops with a slight malt underbelly.

T: Hoppy but not very complex. Slight alcohol flavor coming through.

M: A little weak tasting; not very full. Carbonation is a good level.

D: Going down nice and smooth, and the buzz is hitting me pretty good. I've seen this on tap at a couple of local places and will be looking forward to having this with meals in the future.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Received a bottle from a friend.

A- Pours a nice deep gold, slightly cloudy, with a nice creamy white head.

S- Strong floral hop aroma, very inviting.

T- Well balanced, soft malty flavor up front with a nice dry finish.

M- Very smooth, a nice velvety texture, good body.

D- At 7% ABV this is not a session beer, but a nice refreshing drink none-the-less.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Orange amber color with light foamy head. Head dissipates quickly but leaves lacing all the way down. Aroma is of grapefruit and pine, some fruitiness foreshadows the rich sweet taste. For me, a good balance between hops and malt. Feels substantial in your mouth. I drink this beer all the time. It has great hop flavor with rich malty sweetness and doesn't cost a lot. My favorite IPA for the price.

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Was poured for me at Bricco in Akron

A: A cloudy apricot color with almost no head to speak of. The lace was reluctant at times, but left it's mark.

S: Conifer, hoppy and a hint of sweet pineapple. Faint, but present.

T: Citrusy with a touch of spice. Strong hops out weigh the citrus a little, leaving me wondering what more of a balance would be like. Good IPA.

M: Nice medium-ish body but a little too bitter on the finish.

D: Good for one beer. I am glad I tried it, but might not be my first choice in ordering again.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Fairly pale golden color for an IPA. Reasonably clear, but not brilliant. Pours a thick head with good retention. Some residual lacing.

A slightly piney hop aroma, noticeable but not overpowering.

Initial flavor has a wonderful balance. Enough bittering to prevent even a hint of sweetness, but without so much bitterness that it is an IBU machine. Malt has a secondary voice, but it is there. A very gentle transition, with no distinct hop bite in the finish - just a lingering, pleasant bitterness. The hop flavor/bitterness balance really seems to be perfect for what I feel an American IPA should be.

Medium body and carbonation. No astringency. A hint of alcohol warming, which isn't totally out of place here, but slightly surprising for a 7% ABV beer.

A very drinkable IPA. Not harshly bitter while being a decidedly hoppy beer.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint. Brew is a orangish gold with a two fingers thick, fluffy, slightly off-white head.

Smell: Incredible hop aroma starts floral with hints of citrus. A hint of sweetness comes through at the end. If I could make my house smell like this I would.

Taste: Hop flavors are (gasp!) actually pretty balanced for an American IPA. Same hop profile as on the nose but with a bit of a breadysort of a midpalate. Then the hops come back in for a refreshing finish.

Notes: A fantastic beer that I will definitely drink again. I'm not usually a fan of American IPAs because they're so unbalanced, but this was nice. Good job Bell's...

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A- two finger fluffy & elegant white head sits atop a classy golden, leaning toward straw, brew. great retention on the head with attractive bubbly lacing

S- floral, citrus, crisp, some malt aromas

T- hoppy but far from unbalanced, soft & mild citrus, grassy, subtle hints of pine, bready malts

M- crisp, light hop abuse, dry finish leaves a light film after, heat at finish when warmer

D- well balanced and brewed IPA, delicious, definitely a must try, not the usual hopped to death IPA's

3.73/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Received bottle in trade. Thanks Viggo.

Appearance: Pours an orangey amber colour with a creamy off white head. Good retention.

Aroma: Pineapple and other tropical fruit. Not much malt.

Taste: Sweet & fruity carries through to the finish, followed by a medium bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied, creamy.

Final Statement: A very drinkable IPA but the strange tropical fruit flavours make me think it was a pretty citrus hoppy IPA that is a little passed its prime. Would like to try again some day. Not a bad beer as it was though, just not an outstanding one.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured a hazy light copper hue with a one and a half finger foamy white head. There was good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured a strong piney and citrusy hop with touches of white pepper. Some lightly sweet malts detected as well.

The taste consisted of an upfront resiny hop with some touched of spicy pepper and sweet orange. Some lightly sweet malts picked up as well.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness with a dry finish.

Overall a superior AIPA. Very robust, yet well balanced.

Thanks to czoch75 and unclejedi.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into my De Garre snifter

It pours a bright gold, semi opaque, with a nice one finger white head. Ok lacing

A rich full aroma of hops with a nice malt backbone. More piney than anything.

Prickly piney hops in the taste. This is a fairly big bitterness, and a big hop taste. The beer gets slightly earthy to go along with a nice caramel flavor. A great IPA.

This beer is exceptional. To date is this best IPA I have had. Possibly lacking in balance, but that is how I like my IPAs.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.