Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,506 | Ratings: 14,085
4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Sampling a bottle packaged approximately 6 weeks ago.

A: Hazy gold. As mentioned before, I like my commercial beer crystal clear.

S: Smells of hops, but there isn't one particular attribute that overwhelms. Little yeast aromas.

T: Wow this is smooth for a 7% beer. No alcohol bite. Hop flavor is a wonderful balance of citrus and pine. Clean finish. Malt is present but is in harmony.

M: Creamy smooth carbonation up front. Perfectly balanced. Enough bitterness to balance without overwhelming,

O: I've had this beer many times over the years. I know it's good but I don't typically go back and re-sample. This time I did and I'm glad because this is a really solid beer. Nothing really stands out about it, but overall it's really well balanced from all angles. Just wish it was filtered!

Recommend.

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Bells Two Hearted Ale

A: Pours a very nice looking golden honey with very little head. Mild carbonation on it. The beer is clear and not cloudy, you can see through it to some extent. Same color and appearance when held up to the light.

S: Malt and hops up front, with the hops being teh stronger of the two. Reminds me a bit of Dales Pale Ale that i've been drinking recently, but with a more subtle hop smell to it.

T: Well blended and smooth drinking beer. The hops are there, but are mild, and goes down easy. Has a good healthy bit of spice to it, but in a good way. This is the type of beer would be GREAT for a growler and drinking a lot of.

M: Medium body and mild carbonation

O: A good pickup for a growler. This would be a good pickup for a tailgate or drinking in large quantities as I did. Goes nice from a growler, but I suspect this beer is a tad more complicated than it tastes coming from a keg. Perhaps from a bottle you can pickup on some more tastes. I'm not disapointed with it one bit.

4.94/5  rDev +16%

One of the best IPAs for a reason. The hype is real. This is my go to beer since they have it at Costco now in MI for $32/case. Excellent hops flavor and aroma. Still like hopslam better but this a a great all-around IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I love a good IPA. This is a no-brainer as I love it too. Pours a nice hazy copper with a nice lacy head. Has the aroma of nice citrusy hops which makes me smile every time. The taste isn't as hoppy as I thought it would be but it is nice and crisp with a nice citursy hop flovor, almost a lime taste to it. Anyway this beer is what people claim that it is, but I am happy that there are others out there that are easier to find. I love hops therefore I am biased to any hoppy beer. Respect HOPs.

3.26/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is some good stuff, I think Bell's did well on this one.

A: Beautiful pure copper color with a remarkably long lasting head.

S: Has a strong hop pressence, and smells of an orange peel.

T: As I have made mention before, I'm not a big fan of pale ales, but this is one hell of a pale ale, very strong hop pressence, slight spicy-ness to it, tastes of an orange peel and has a weak graniness to it, with a pleasent bitterness to it to finish it off.

M: On the downside it's very bubbly, but it's not quite TOO bubbly.

D: Goes down smooth, and leaves a pleasenet aftertaste after a drink. And although it's a little acidy it's drinkable.

Bottom Line: I'd reccomend this to any pale ale fan, and to anyone who hasn't tried a pale ale yet. Ta Ta

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

One bottle was given to me by a friend of mine. This would be my 1st Bell's anything beer and so far im glad it's the 1st.

a- Color is a burt orange/golden with a very nice 1-1.5" head and lacing sticks to the glass like glue.

s- Smell is of citrus and piney hops with a hint of grapefruit and I swear honey.

t- Very strong hop flavor with a nice malty backbone that rounds it out perfectly. I may get a hint of hotness due to the alcohol.

m- Very thick and smooth.

d- I could drink this all night I believe very good beer and I am looking forward to trying the Hop Slam next!

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance is a golden yellow and pours a decent head.

Smell is not strong more of a slightly stale hop. I expected more on the hop aroma.

Taste is a typical IPA with a bitter aftertaste. Not a lot of distinction from others.

Mouthfeel is decent carbonation level.

Overall a good brew but not a distinctive IPA for me.

The code on the bottle was 10207. Was that over a year ago?

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Had on tap at the Northside Tavern, Cincinnati, OH.

Poured a hazy golden color with a decent head and good retention. Lacing was also good all the way down.

Smelled fantastic. The grapefruit hops dominated, with a bit of piney hop aroma peaking through. Definitiely one sided on the nose, but I liked it like that.

Tasted almost exactly like it smelled. The grapefruity hops dominate, but unlike the nose, the clean biscuity hops peak through. It's not enough that I'd call it a well balanced beer, but the hops flavor is just so damn good here. So fresh and so fruity, citrusy. The mouthfeel is good. It's fairly full bodied and warms the belly on the way down.

Drinkibility is high. This is a ridiculously refreshing beer. Perfect for a beautiful spring night like tonight, on an outdoor patio at my favorite bar in town, with my favorite person in the world. Excellent.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

A slightly hazy (but very clear for an unfiltered beer) light orange colour with a thick white head that leaves lace for days. Hoppy smell is present, and the citrus is very nice. As the beer warms the citrus becomes more and more prevalent, nudging the score up a slight bit. The taste is something to behold. I gave this the full 5 and i don't question that rating one bit. Grapefruit is noticeable right off the bat, and while many times you hear the term "hop bomb" used to describe the strong taste that we come to associate with a good IPA, this is more of a "hop delivery". Every sip brings more wonderful hops taste without ever being overly strong or too bitter. A perfect taste every time, that feels just right. Great feeling, not too carbonated, and the aftertaste is almost as delicious as the taste. If i could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be a serious contender. If i could only drink one IPA for the rest of my life, this would be the frontrunner by a large margin, like a Barack Obama to Al Sharpton margin

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

A: pours a deep orange color with a nice white head and has some decent lacing down the glass.

S: I get some nice floral hop aroma with a tid bit of grapefruit thrown in.

T: up front this beer is quite malty and then as you get into the middle you start to hit with the beautiful hop character of the beer and tastes like centennials. the end of the beer is nice and dry and leaves you wanting another sip.

M: The mouth feel is pretty good, nice medium body not too heavy not too light.

O: This is a great beer and one of my favorite IPAs. Its extremely quaff able and can be drank whether it is 100 degrees outside or 0 degrees outside.

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Slightly cloudy gold-colored pour with a nice bone-white 1-finger head. Great retention and lots of lacing.

S: An somewhat lacking hoppy nose--my bottle isn't old, but it doesn't smell like it's been recently dry hopped. Still a light fresh hop aroma that appetizes me.

T: Nice aggressive hop bitterness with strong piney and spicy aspect--Centennial hops. The grapefruit flavor of freshly dryhopped Centennial is missing (as expected from a beer like Hop Stoopid). A slightly sweet and bready malt flavor cowers behind the lingering hop bitterness. Familiar and similar beer--Three Floyd's PA, Alpha King, although that is a different style in which I am more ready to accept a lack of strong hop aroma and flavor.

M: Average carbonation and on the thin side that I would rate A in a sessionable PA but here it's a little lacking.

3.18/5  rDev -25.4%

Tried this beer a while back and again last week in the Outer Banks, NC. Perhaps this batch was placed under too much heat? Anyway, I like the IPAs with a bit more body.
This one is lighter, very crisp, with a grapefruit taste. A basically good IPA, but one of the few beers that I largely disagree with the score listed on the site.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Maybe my favorite beer. Bursting with flavor is how I would describe it. I was floored on the first taste. I actually said wow out loud. Probably the beer I will compare the rest to from now on.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a bright clear orange with a fluffy white head which lasts for quite a bit. Smell is citrus, with plenty of floral/vegetal complements - makes me think that the hops used were very fresh. Taste veers more towards the piney bitter end. Dry finish and moderate carbonation make this an easy drinker that hides its ABV well. Overall, a classic IPA - long live Bell's Two Hearted!

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a murky, dark, golden color, with amber shinning through in the light. An inch of white creamy head forms leaving behind fantastic lacing. Wish the head lasted a bit longer, as it quickly fades to a white cap. Light malt can be found in the nose, along with soft citrus, all with a backbone of strong resinous pine.

The flavor starts with the malt, and if you let the beer sit on your tongue you get sharp carbonation along with some of the soft citrus the nose hinted at. Upon swallowing you are hit with a wave of grapefruit, orange, and bitterness. This all transitions to the resiny pine found while smelling, with the bitterness stays at a constant. It's not bitter by IPA standards, just enough to let you know it's there. All the flavors linger on the tongue together giving you a picture of the total drinking experience in one snapshot of flavor.

A medium bodied beer, with what feels like high carbonation, it's a good beer, but not one I'd cal especially easy drinking. A beer to have during dinner, but not one to session in my mind.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into my Chimay goblet. Thanks to doctor15 for this beer. Interestingly enough given the recent questions surrounding some bad batches, the area on the bottle for marking the batch is blank.

A: One and a half finger high thick white head that persists for 3-4 minutes before starting to fall and settling about 1/4 inch high. Lots of small bubbles refresh the head. The body of the beer is a light orange/slightly copper color and translucent without any hint of cloudy nature.

S: Cirtus and piney hops dominate...malt is present in the background but muted as compared to the hops. I can't pick out any specific malt flavors, but there is a sweet floral underbody that reminds me of honey.

T: Centrennial hops al lthe way...different than, say, Founders Centennial IPA, but rich in hops nonetheless. THe hops dominate but do not overwhlem. Malt is only slightly present in the background. The finish is clean with a lingering sweetness.

M: Medium to light-bodied. Poperly carbonated for the style to give a hint of creaminess in the mouth. Despite the hoppy nose and taste, there are no residual oils on my tongue.

D: No real hints of the 7% ABV in this beer. The taste is light and clean and the finish is nice. I would gladly have another (or two).

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Received in the Official Quick and Easy High Card BIF from Tilley4 thanks.

A. Pale amber, white head, some lace

S.Citris(lemon/orange) floral some bready malt, some honey

T. Citrisy hop taste, very sweet. This is a tasty brew.

M. mmm :D smooth balanced hops. 7% ABV well hidden.

D. I could drink this quite often but alas I'll have to trade for it.

Thanks again to Tilley4 for this.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice light amber color when poured from the bottle with a nice head. The smell is grapefruit and floral. What a great taste...nice floral essence with citrus and pine. Very refreshing. It taste very fresh just asking for another sip. This is an outstanding IPA. I haven't had a better one yet.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Damn it. I was waiting in hopes of getting a fresh one. Well mine was bottled on oct 28 or something. About 2 1/2 months old I really wanted a fresher one. Well the taste is good. I am not a huge hop head and only drink IPA's every couple of weeks and not many doubles for that matter. And really this tastes good but Not as much hop as I was expecting. Anyways had a kinda dry mouthfeel and adequate carbonation decent head retention, Piney then citrus hops. Very drinkable stuff and not too overpowering could get you in some trouble with the 7% and tasting like this. A good IPA, Even though Michigan is close unless I can get it fresher I will stick with the Wisconsin IPA's

4.64/5  rDev +8.9%

I have to go on the record up front that this is my favorite American IPA - hands down.

It pours a lovely amber with nice lacing. The smell is almost my favorite part - it screams of a solid IPA but yet it's completely unique. So floral it's surprising, and it makes you want to taste it even more.

The taste is, in my opinion, what beats you into submission. It's obviously a top-notch IPA, but yet it's different in so many ways. Maybe a little sweeter than the classic hop bomb, but absolutely crisp with the kind of aftertaste that keeps my attention.

The mouthfeel is smooth; the alcohol is well hidden for a higher gravity IPA.

Drinkability? Give me a case and lock me in a closet for a week. I'll emerge a better man.

4.17/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Warm orange-y amber hue, 2 finger head that sits nicely on top, great lacing.

S- Earthy citrus, floral, spice.

T- Citrus right off the bat, really round, and finishes with a bitter floral. There is a hint of earthiness similar to patchouli.

M- Very smooth, light carbonation, flavor doesn't linger or repeat- keeps your pallet clean, would be a great IPA for heavier flavored food.

D- I could easily recommend this beer to the experienced hop lover as well as someone with less experience with the IPA style. I fish mostly for trout, so the label is a plus :)

3.08/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The fish hearts beating on the label lead us to a quite enjoyable beer.

Smells of vegetables. A strong and even hoppy flavor that does never get too bitter. Strong, hearty, river-forging brew. Crisp finish and no tastes lingering long. You can crack these forgetting the 7.1 abv, which is a plus.

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pretty white head on the pour. Pale orange in color.

S- Citrus orgasm on the nose.

T- Pretty mellow when it hits the palate with a balanced malt to hop ratio.

M- Clean on the finish, very drinkable.

O- This is a great beer. I could imagine serving this at a bar-b-que or a party. It seems to appeal to a lot of people and its not too overwhelming of an IPA. My wife also enjoys this one. For such a drinkable beer the 7% ABV is surprising and can sneak up on you!

Appearance: Clear, dark copper.
Odor: Floral, malty, and bitter
Taste: Earthy with a floral, citrus hop kick and a nice back end sweetness Smooth, floral, earthy aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Earthy with a floral, citrus hop kick. Nice, floral, earthy aftertaste.
Overall: Bell’s Brewery Two Hearted Ale brings the a new spin to the IPA style. This IPA has all the usual suspects as far as flavor, but brings a special kick that is not found in other IPAs.

4.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Drank on: 2/23/10
7.0% ABV
12 oz. in pint glass

A= Beautiful fine-bubbled (mostly) 1/2" head which dissapiated leaving a nice lace on the glass. A single layer of tiny bubbles covers the top of this deep warm yellow slightly opaque brew.

S= Nice tangerine-citrus aroma with a light malt aroma. Very nice and fresh smelling.

T= Hop Dominate the profile! Citrus-grapefruit, with a good piney finish. Fantastic hop flavor and a very quiet malt flavor.

MF= Good tingle on the tongue. Delicious lasting bitterness. Nice light coating of the entire mouths. WONDERFUL!! has a little late dryness.

D= Highly drinkable IPA. Taste and mouthfeel bring you back sip after sip, and glass after glass.

Overall, my favorite offering from Bell's and a go to beer.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.