Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,463 | Ratings: 13,915
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Not to big into india pale ales but I must say this is probably going to be my go to in the pale ale category.

A: Looks very nice and talk about a good head... this thing makes for a damn good looking beer.

S: I get a strong smell of citrus to it, almost like smelling a grapefruit and some over sliced fruit off to the side.

T: Creamy texture good amount of hop bitter taste. Citrus add depth and complexity to the malt flavor. This drink has enough alcohol in it to give a little warmth but it could be missed.

M: As you continue to this drink it gets almost a silky smooth finish across your taste buds. I think this is what makes this beer for me.

D: Very very very drinkable... without a doubt my favorite IPA to date, looking to experiment more with IPA's now that this 6 pack has grown so much on me.

3.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bottle into my "Cheers" the TV show licensed mug.

it looks great! Light amber... a little cloudy. the best head i've seen in a while. creamy white that last for a while.

not a whole lot on the nose. a little pinesol... but not in a bad way.

the lemon hits me on the first sip. moving more into the rind and pine on the second... i guess that's the pinesol scent i got. there's a hint of smoke or toast. it moves through the citrus range and lands a bit more on a bitter orange as you get a bit more into it. lemony orange - maybe cumquat... with a bit of and iron aftertaste. a little dusty. they yeast starts tasting a little "rapid rise" as it goes on. not at all in a bad way. but a bit in a buddy gave me his homemade apple cider - made with rapid rise - kind of way.

i like it. i will buy it again. it reminds me of the regular lagunitas IPA - but a little milder - again, in a good way. but i won't show it off to someone i'm trying to impress as super dooper.

reading the bottle after my review i agree that this is well suited to an adventure to the UP. it might even be my first choice if making that trek. the iron aftertaste seems to taste like the stream water from that area. not at all a bad thing.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Truly a beautiful beer. Deep, hazy golden orange/amber, with a large, 2-finger pillowy head that fully lasting and left plenty of lacing.

S: Crisp, with lots of spicy, floral, and earthy hops. Some grapefruit.

T: Very hop forward, but with just enough carmel malts to calm the bitterness. The hops follow the nose - floral, spicy, and a little bit earthy.

F: Crisp, soft, and medium bodied.

O: Delicious. Balanced, crisp - truly wonderful. Would recommend, and will be buying much, much more.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Glad to find some Bell's in the South. I've heard of this beer and was eager to give it a try. It's an opaque amber-orange, with an small off white head that laces mildly. On the nose, I catch mango and pineapple, or perhaps some other tropical fruits, as well as a buttery, toasted malt character that's subtle, but balancing in it's effect. The taste follows. It's light and refreshing with some floral and tropical notes, followed by some residual piny-ness that ends in a dry, malty finish. Medium mouthfeel with medium-high carbonation. A superbly balanced and flavorful IPA. Quite possibly the best I've had so far.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites any time I'm back home in Chicago or in NYC, I'm in Boston so I'm pretty spoiled in terms of juicy IPAs. This one always hits the spot for how balanced it is and drinkable with that extra smooth flavors. Michigan is one of my favorite beer states, up there with Cali and Vermont in my book and this is a class of the state. Other than 3 Floyds this is my go two back in the midwest.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Ultra crisp clear copper golden, not much head
S: Fruity citrus, sweet
T: Tastes like smell, very fruity and citrus sweet-malty. Very light hops. Almost like cider. Inoffensive
F: Smooth wet feel, crisp refreshing.

Very nice inoffensive ale, sweet and easy to drink, a bit too sweet for my tastes, not enough hops?

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice golden yellow/amber color with a thick white head that sticks around and leaves a nice lace on the glass. You can count how many sips you have taken by the number of rings on the glass.

The aroma is very nice and complex, floral is the first thing that comes to mind, with a little citrus and pine. Even a little fruity, there is a lot going on here, it is best enjoyed in a glass such as a tulip that concentrates the aroma as you drink.

The taste is what all IPA's should taste like in my opinion. Crisp and lite but still complex, dry and hoppy on the finish. Smooth for an IPA. A beginner might shy away at first but a developed palate will really appreciate the complexity.

Very drinkable, smooth and goes down easy, high carbonation but it allows the flavor to come out.

One of my favorite beers from one of the mid-west's best breweries.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

This afternoon, my two sons and I dropped into Tyler's Taprooom in Durham, NC to have a pint before a Bulls baseball game (it doesn't get much better than this). My sons ordered their pints (root beers), and I ordered a Rogue Imperial IPA. The bartender pulled the tap, but it just spat some foam. She suggested that I try a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. I'd never had one, so I agreed. To be honest, I was expecting to be a little disappointed (it's hard to compete against a Rogue I2PA). Man, was I wrong!

Appearance: Poured a nice polished copper color, with a one finger, off-white colored head. The head diminished quickly, but didn't disappear altogether. It left some nice lacing at the top of the pint glass. Slight carbonation.

Smell: This was one of the most fragrant beers that I've ever experienced. It smelled like walking through a field of wild flowers, with citrus fruits and orange peel thrown in. Absolutely wonderful - this is how an IPA should smell.

Taste: No disappointment here either! Fresh grapefruit up front followed by an intense hoppy bitterness. The hoppy finish just went on and on. The only reason I didn't give it a five was because it lacked just a little malty sweetness to balance the bitterness. Awesome!

Mouthfeel: The slight carbonation made it very smooth.

Drinkability: Yes. May I have another please? Unfortunately, I only had time to have one, but I'll be back. Now I just have to find this in bottles. Fantastic stuff, excellent IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Beautiful frothy white head floating above a slightly unfiltered goldish-apricot body.

S: Citrusy hops strike immediately. Smells almost sweet for an IPA.

T: Orange and apricot citrus on the initial taste with grassy notes hitting at the finish. Less bitter than I expected.

M: Mild bitterness, smooth down the pipe, and a light dryness on the tongue at the end.

D: Smooth, easy-drinking IPA that provides a nice, refreshing feel. Lack of bold flavors allow for multiple refills.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

Upon the finish of pouring this beer, looking at the light copper tone of the body brings a warm inviting apearence. A thick foamy 2 finger head shows a light tan shade. This is all complimented upon the sweet aroma eminating from the glass. A burst of hops with a citrus (orange and lemon flavors come to mind) undertone come out full force from this beverage.

With tasting this fine Bell's beer my mouth is overwhelmed with the sweet flavor of hops. Coming out strong on the begining this is definetly a style of beer for people that want hoppiness in there beer. The malty taste comes out in the middle and at the end the bitterness hits, but does not leave a unpleasent after taste.

Leaving a pleasent feel in my mouth, with a tangy feeling brought on from the constant citrus flavors this is a beer that goes down so smooth but allows you to realize that you are drinking a beer, and not water. I personally am the biggest fan of the smell and taste but this is probably the standard that all IPAs should try and live up too.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Thanks bort11!

Appearance: Pours a deep orange with a smallish head.

Smell: Pine and citrus. Tons of citrus.

Taste: Pine hits you on the tongue immediately along with a hint of lemon. Balanced out very well with a nice malty background. The hops really come on at the back of the mouth. Beautifully bitter.

Mouthfeel: Smooooth. Crisp in the mouth with a dry finish. Great carbonation.

Drinkability: Just a great IPA. Tons of flavor, great balance. I could drink this all day.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Look poured a thick creamy offwhite head that slowly disapated. Color is a cloudy dark yellow with decent carbination. It has a great smell of citrisy hops. Taste starts out with a slight sweet malt base with a bit of citris hops. Then finishes with finishes with a wonderful refreshness of hops with reletivly low bitterness. Then ends with a bit of drying .Mouthfeel is decent, not overtly thick. Overall another good one from Bells.

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Reviewed sometime last year forgot to put a date on the notes:

Poured into snifter gives a bright amber orange color that's mirky and hazy from all the little tiny remnants. Looks like beer sap or something lol. Lacing is intense leaving foam and particles uuuurrrywhere.

Smells as soon as you open the bottle and it's amazing. HOPS HOPS HOPS and some more HOPS. Citrusy orange hops to an extreme. I mean this is what a hospickle is ladies and gents.

Taste starts off rather sweet and malty until WHAM the hops rush in and nearly take over the beer. The hops are huge just like I expected from the nose. A little pineyness coming thru but its all about the grapefruit citrusy hops with this beer.

Mouthfeel is also amazing. Thick n slick with some chewyness. Love these kind of beers that have a thick mouthfeel but don't bomb your stomach like most stouts.

Overall an amazing beer, depending on my mood I'll like it more than Hopslam--don't hate. One of my go to beers if I can't find any new stuff to try.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Not part of the beer, but I love the trout on the bottle... Nice pale amber pour with a thick head that left some significant legs on the glass as it dropped.

Nose- Malty and some fruitiness with a little more sweetness than some pale ales, maybe some honey quality from the malt. Opened up to some pineapple with time.

Taste- Distinctively American hops with some sour grapefruit qualities. Some toastiness before a bitter finish as one would expect, a little bit of "spruce" flavor. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel- Fairly crisp at first before mellowing down and thinning due to the slightly lower carbonation. I prefer my pale ales to be a little bit more mouth-coating.

Overall- A well crafted, balanced beer. One for the North woods. While it has a nice blend of flavors, I feel it's maybe missing that one layer that blows you away. That being said, it went down the hatch pretty dang quick...

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Nice murky orange-amber pour, with a foamy head that leaves pillow lace. Beautiful mixture of citrus and floral notes in the nose. Well done... wonderfully hopped from beginning to end, without overtaking any of the other portions of the brew. Nice orange peel and grapefruit essence in the citrus dept. Very quaffable, as the citrus and malt combine for a perfectly round and smooth mouthfeel. Pine resin lingers in the finish, peppering the back of the mouth with a decent IBU. Again, the drinkability is very much the biggest "pro" of this brew. IPA’s are my fave (as are doubles and impy’s), and this one doesn’t disappoint. ABV doesn’t particularly show... possibly in the peppery aftereffects of the finish, there shines a note or two of alcohol, but well-integrated.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Mildly cloudy, golden to orange hue. Pale yellow head that leaves slight lacing.

S: Very fruity and floral aroma. As expected, big hop presence.

T: Hoppy flavor with some spice. Very nice bitterness. The hops are strong, but not overpowering.

M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Very drinkable combo.

O: Clean and easy to drink. One of my favorite IPAs.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It's a fairly clear gold/amber. There is an ample, almost velvety head that sticks around a good long while. Very citrussy in scent, but more toward the grapefruit end of the spectrum as opposed to tangerine or orange. The front end is an almost grassy flavour, followed by more grapefruit and notes of lemon. There is a nice bitterness. It sits light on the tongue, much lighter than most IPAs, which I actually prefer.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It’s been too long since I’ve had a damn fine IPA. So, let’s have a damn fine IPA. Two Hearted Ale pours a hazy dull copper with half a finger or less of foamy white head that's quick to dissipate. Loads of citrus and pine hops on the nose. Herbal and earthy in the hop profile as well. Simple, clean and... whatever the smell equivalent is for "tasty." A very hop forward brew, no doubt, but the balancing power of its smooth malt backbone cannot be overstated. The finish has hints of citrus, lingering malt and then a swooping bitterness comes in to wipe the palate clear. Exquisite. Goes down way too smooth for its 7% ABV.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hand on a six pack of this after hearing so much about it, was a little scared that the hype may not live up to its reputation. Well, I must say it did live up to it and I thoroughly enjoyed this.

Appearance: A nice golden brown with a thin head. Very appealing to the eye.
Smell: Lots of things going on here, picked out some floral scents but couldn't really make out the rest. A hole bunch of smells coming out of this one, very pleasant.
Taste: Very nice bite from the hops but not overpoweringly bitter. Picked out some pine and a slight citrus taste. Very smooth and drinkable. Barely get the alcohol which could easily lead me to make this a session ale until I fall on my ass when I'm done.
Mouthfeel: smooth but coats the tongue to fully let you enjoy the beautiful mix of flavors, but doesn't linger too long to beat up the palette
Overall: I was very pleased to have finally tried this much hyped brew. Great mix of flavors with a nice clean finish that makes you want to go back for me.

Very interested in trying Hopslam after this.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Hadn't had this in a while so I picked up a 4 pack of pounder cans at the Friendly Greek. I could smell it as soon as I opened a can and man does it taste great! Nice and smooth, easy to drink, no sense of it being a 7 percenter. If it wasn't so pricey (relative to Otter Creek's Overgrown) this could easily be my go-to beer (which is currently Overgrown, hence the reference). In my opinion, the best thing about this excellent beer is that I can get in half a dozen places within 5 miles of my home. In a world where availability and price counted as much as everything else, this would rank higher then Heady Topper.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Serving temp: 50F Serving glass: Pint Glass

Aroma: Big hops, obviously. Pine, grapefruit, orange, Sweet candy like smell there, too. Somewhat unique to this particular IPA is an earthy, "leaf like" smell that I can't quite put my finger on. Really intruiging..

Appearance: Cloudy light tangerine colored beer with an ample head, somewhat rocky in texture. Very good lacing with this one. You know, I can't stop smelling this one..

Taste: Excellent. Very well presented hoppy citrus with that same earthy smell present in the taste. A real mellow sweetness chops some of the inital hop blast and balances quite well. Leaves just a bit of spiciness on the palate along with a cleansing bitternes. Hey, I just burped up a flower. Cool.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with crisp carbonation intensifies the hops. Somewhat creamy feel to it blends really well with that spiciness I mentioned. Interesting..

Drinkability: A superb IPA in my opinion. The hops are obviously there, but it has some unique and quite pleasing aspects to it as well. Nice job, Bell's.

3.88/5  rDev -8.9%

On tap at the Sharp Edge in East Liberty. Poured in a pint glass.

A: Interesting ... dark amber, almost orange. Head holds on forever.

S: It's a pale ale, so you get some of the things you expect, like pine and citrus. But there's also something sweet ... and that's a tease for ...

T/M: Here's where Two-Hearted Ale steps away from the norm. The pines and citrus from the hops are heavy, but they mix with a honey-sweetness you don't expect at all. Wow, it's good. And even with the sweet tones, the beer has a nice, slightly bitter finish. Very smooth.

D: Um, I'll have another, please.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This is a sexy IPA. Golden honey notes with a soapy white head. While not exactly clear there is some hop haze in this one. A great example of how an IPA should look.

S - Wow this one reminds me a lot of it's bigger brother Hopslam. While not nearly as intense there is a definite resemblance. Sweet floral hops fly out of the glass. There is also a very generous sweet malt back bone that you can detect as the beer warms a bit. This beer just smells so fresh and inviting.

T - If the aroma isn't enough to win you over the taste will. A huge shot of bitterness right at the front which is quickly blended together with the sweet fruit flavors of the hops. By the back of the tongue you are reminded or the sweet malts you detected in the nose> A perfectly balanced beer.

D - YES please! Easily one of the best examples of a year round IPA on the market. A perfect mix between sweetness from the hops balanced with bitterness followed by a great malt character.

Poured a 12oz ale into one of my favorite pint ale glasses.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a very thick creamy white head. Head holds up well for several minutes.

S: Nice floral scent with citrus notes as well. Good overall nose.

T: Good balance between the citrus hop bite and a malty backbone. Did I say balanced? Refreshing too. Good summer beer. I like the slightly dry aftertaste.

M: Slightly syrupy but enough carbonation to keep it keep it an easy drinker.

D: Good drinkable beer with an alcohol content that isn't overpowering. This is one that you can enjoy several without overdoing it. I like that it isn't too sweet and has a dry finish too.

Summary: Good solid IPA. One that I will buy again. Would also satisfy those that don't like really bitter ales. Easy to like!

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Had from a bottle into a pint glass with my dearest friends up at The Cabin. A memorable beer for a memorable time...

All around I would have to say that this is a pretty killer brew. I am all about the hops and the Two Hearted ale does not disappoint. Though I have had some very good IPAs in my life, this beer definitely sets the bar for beers that are widely available. Above all I loved the inherent drinkability of this brew, I could drink it til the cows came home, and then some.

Also, is there any cooler bottle in all of beerdom? I think not.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.