Two Hearted Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Two Hearted AleTwo Hearted Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 12-11-2001

Reviews: 3,489 | Ratings: 14,037
4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a well-hazed pale brassy color capped by a lace-heavy off-white head. Notes of tropical fruits on the nose, with quite a bit of soap, and flourishes of mint leaves. Bits of pine and woody spiciness as well, with a flash of brine. Malty base comes through too, with suggestions of pretzel dough. On the palate, it's very, very dry, offering chalk-like bitterness that hits early, opening up long enough to permit a dusting of green-tea and what I can only describe as powdered high-alpha-acid hops to unfurl, with a touch of woody, piney, cedary (maybe spruce-y) spiciness, before regaining control and drying out quite profoundly. There are floral notes as well, but everything is very, very dry (less bitter than just dry, though the bitterness is present in ample share.) Finishes with a rather "rindy" citrus bitterness.

Fresh orange wedges and kiwi-like, papaya-esque tropical fruit notes really develop as the beer warms.

Hoppy for sure--but tastes like a wet-hopped beer--very "fresh" hopiness, very herbal/floral, and pretty intense, without being crushingly bitter. So much hop FLAVOR, which can be tough to properly feature.

Worth the wait--been looking forward to trying this legendary beer for a good long while. Lives up to the hype--but a touch less drying bitterness would make it just about a 9 on a 10-point scale (or 4.5 of 5) for me; it just sucks the moisture from the inside of my mouth about as completely as "Mr. Thirsty" does at the dentist's office.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%

Full disclosure: This is my favorite beer. Unfortunately this bottle is 2 months old which isn't too bad but I've found this one to be much better as fresh as possible. On-tap at the Eccentric Cafe is close to a religious experience.

A - Aggressive pour produces a frothy, off-white head of about one inch with pretty good retention. Some sticky lacing down the glass. Light burnt orange color and decent clarity.

S - Incredibly floral. Some citrus and sweet biscuity malt. I love the smell of this beer.

T - More floral and citrusy hops. The malt profile is light and never really stands out though I would say this beer is well-balanced.

M - Medium to full-bodied and a good amount of carbonation.

D - Very high. I love IPAs and a nice one like this that is packed with Centennial hops is right up my alley. Alcohol is 7% but that wouldn't (and hasn't) deterred me from drinking a sixer.

Unfortunately this one has not arrived in Chicago yet but having consumed tons of this stuff over the past few years I can recommend this to basically anyone who isn't totally turned off by hops. One of the best IPAs made period.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

The first thing I noticed upon pouring was the pungent and sharp leafy aroma from the hops. As it sat the resin broke up a bit, making room for a sweeter grapefruit scent. While there may be some malt smell as well, I didn't really pick it up, instead the beer was drowning in intense hoppiness.

In the glass the beer takes on a golden color with a touch of reddish hue, and supports a thin white head. Being bottle conditioned, I may have poured a bit of sediment into the glass, and ended up with a bit of haziness in my otherwise clear beer.

Grapefruit assaults the tongue on the first sip, then makes way for a substantial bitterness at the back of the mouth. There's a light bread aftertaste on the sides of the tongue that lingers along with the hop bitterness for a few minutes. The beer is most assuredly balanced towards the hoppy and bitter side, which is certainly not unwelcome. It does however lack some of the intensity of Hopslam, which assaults the palate thoroughly with its hoppy nature. That isn't to say that it's lacking in flavor, but rather that it is more of an every day beer.

It certainly doesn't lack for carbonation, actually having a somewhat light body with constant tiny bubbles. The hop resins leave a stickiness in the mouth as well, quickly coating the tongue. The beer goes down easily though, with just a touch of warmth on the tongue and in the chest.

There really isn't much left to say, I love this beer. It's flavorful but not overwhelming, and has a great blend of hop flavors and aroma. The only criticism I can come up with is that there's the slightest touch of either metallic or phenolic taste, barely enough to notice. While sometimes this can be a welcome addition to the mix of flavors, in this case I didn't feel that it added anything. Still, this was a very minor issue for me, and for a standard IPA this is one of the best I've had. I imagine this beer is even better fresh, I don't know how old it is, but I know that it's at least from January. All things considered, it has held up rather well.

3.77/5  rDev -11.5%

Here is my re-view... I am keeping my original review at the bottom, but I have realized that the first bottle I ever had of this was very old and it is not fair to the brewer to leave that review without an amendment.

Appearance: copper color, large head, slightly hazy

Smell: Citrusy hops, slight pine, little bit of sweet crystal malt

Taste: this is what I was looking for so many months ago... This is delicious. A little bitter for my taste and I wish there was a little more hop flavor, but definitely solid

Mouthfeel: Nice fairly dry with medium carbonation. Very easy to drink. Possibly the best part about this beer

Overall: A nice mild IPA. Very refreshing and while not over the top with hops, a very good representation of the style

After a few months away from beer due to a nationwide tour, I was really looking forward to trying a nice hoppy IPA.

Appearance- Good amber color with a white head that recedes to a thin layer of fizz. Slightly hazy. Assuming the haze comes from the vast amount of hops.

Smell- upon opening the bottle I got a pretty good whiff of floral citrusy hops without even meaning to. When poured, it smelled completely delicious. Centennial hops for sure! I am really looking forward to this!

Taste- What a disappointment! Blue balls at it's finest! The initial taste was citrus and floral just like the smell, but that initial bitterness faded very quickly to an unpleasant cloying sweetness. I do not know if this was what was intended by the brewer... Definitely not what I expected.

Mouthfeel- not dry like I expect my IPAs to be. The thickness combined with the sweetness are not what I expected at all.

Drinkability- I gave away half of a 6 pack because I just could not get into this one. The three that I kept I drank on different nights because I could not have more than one a night.

Should I try a fresher bottle or hunt out a place that has it on draught maybe? It was not skunked, had no freshness date so I have no way of knowing if the hop flavor just faded or what was going on, but there was no hint of hops flavor after the very initial touch of the beer on my tongue. Overall, this was a huge disappointment for me. Maybe if I find it on draught and I know it is fresh I would give it another review.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Golden hue. The first half of this beer poured very clear with almost perfect transperancy, while the second half poured with lots of clouding. This beer was shipped in very cold weather and I hope it didn't ruin the beer. The head is nearly non-existent on an aggressive pour and this is very disappointing to me. I can agitate a very small amount of inconsistent sized bubbles which quickly disappear. I'm getting carbonation bubbles throughout the session so the beer is not flat. The head just leaves something to be desired.

Smell: Teasing at what some DIPA's can do. It's floral and has a bit of non-specific citric zest to it. Pineapple but not as much grapefruit as some of the other similarly hopped beers. Probably the best IPA smell I've experienced. I can tell this is a special beer. Just a bit of sweetness from the malts. They are definitely playing second fiddle, as to be expected. On the second half of the beer (I pour in 2 halves) the beer turned noticeably sweet with a honey or caramel flavor. This started to approach the "balanced" point, with the finish still remaining bitter.

Taste: Right in the front there is a bit of sweetness to this beer that is nice. Let it sit and you get the hop notes from above, floral, citric zest, and pineapple. On the end there is definitely a bitterness but not overwhelming or aggressive. I wouldn't call it balanced, the hops are dominating for sure. Being a DIPA fan and tasting how good this is, I just wish it had bit more. Still this beer is well made, delicious and it doesn't kick you in the face with hops and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. Refreshing, effervesant. Appropriately shy of medium bodied with just enough stickiness to know it has substance.

Drinkability: At 7% I wouldn't exactly say this is full on session material, but I wish I had these local to put 2 or 3 back on a weeknight. I believe the shipping may have caused some issues. It sure seemed like the beer "settled" like a bottle conditioned beer, although there is no mention on the bottle of this. The next time I'm in the mid-west I'll make a point of grabbing another bottle from a fresh source.

Thanks

2.6/5  rDev -39%

Bell's distribution where I live is really spotty, even for something as ubiquitous as Two Hearted, so when I saw a six at my local bottle shop, I snapped it up eager to see what all the fuss was about.

Served from a bottle into a pint glass. Per the label, it was bottled 1-28-13.

A: More golden than orange. 1-finger, fast fading head. Some lacing, but not much.

S: A bit of piney resin straight from the bottle, but once in the glass, nothing, nada, zilch. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I poured a beer with so little nose.

T: Quite a bit maltier than I expected. Smooth with little hop character. What hops there were left a slightly bitter aftertaste that faded quickly.

M: Probably the best aspect of this beer IMO. Smooth, somewhat creamy/silky with just enough of an astringent finish to wake up the tongue.

O: I know this is the quintessential go-to beer for a lot of BAs here, but I just don't get it. I think part of it is that it's classified as an IPA, but I found it much too timid to earn that title. If it were labeled as an APA, I'd probably rate it quite a bit higher. I can't say this isn't a "good" beer and very well made, but it didn't really impress. It did drink smoothly and if the ABV were quite a bit lower, it would make a nice session beer, but it really didn't live up to my expectations for an IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: light orange with fluffy white head that laced the glass throughout the session

S: Nice citrus and fruit with some pine

T: refreshing hop balance, citrus and slight bitter after taste

M: Good level of carbonation that persisted

O: a beyond solid IPA and highly sessionable and regular in my fridge rotation

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites any time I'm back home in Chicago or in NYC, I'm in Boston so I'm pretty spoiled in terms of juicy IPAs. This one always hits the spot for how balanced it is and drinkable with that extra smooth flavors. Michigan is one of my favorite beer states, up there with Cali and Vermont in my book and this is a class of the state. Other than 3 Floyds this is my go two back in the midwest.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Ultra crisp clear copper golden, not much head
S: Fruity citrus, sweet
T: Tastes like smell, very fruity and citrus sweet-malty. Very light hops. Almost like cider. Inoffensive
F: Smooth wet feel, crisp refreshing.

Very nice inoffensive ale, sweet and easy to drink, a bit too sweet for my tastes, not enough hops?

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

This is a beautiful looking beer. It pours pale amber with just a touch of cloudiness and a medium-thick but very dense head. The lacing on this beer is something impressive – it practically leaves a sheet of foam all around the glass on the way down. Light estery aromas rise off the beer – honey and cherry are heaviest with a spice sting in the back ground.

The spicy hop and bright effervescence hit hard and heavy at the front, then gives way to honey and cherry sweetness with a touch of vanilla. The sweetness fades as the hops come back, this time piney, and linger on the palate as long as I would let them. I paired this with some strongly spicy jambalaya, and it held it’s own. It’s quite a strongly hopped beer, but has a terrific hop/malt balance. Got this on a keep the glass special, and I’m happy to keep a memory of this great IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Pours a clear, light golden color with a nice four-finger head which has decent retention and lacing.

S: The smell is of spicy hops, not too heavy but apparent and the focus. The beer has a light grapey scent too along with some bread characteristics. It smells like an IPA but isn't in your face like some.

T: Taste is citrusy and winey, and a bit spicy like pepper. The alcohol is present in the mix but not strong, the hop bitterness comes into play late and lingers on the tongue. A good mild balance of all the flavors.

M: Mouthfeel is light, a tad oily but not heavy. Lots of carbonation, which gives a nice feel. The carbonation is heavier than other IPAs but gives a nice contrast to the smooth flavors.

D: Drinkability is good. I could drink a few of these, for the style of beer and the alcohol content the mix is nice and easy to drink.

4.41/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

By the time the beer was brought to my table, it had lost all head, if it had any to begin with. Golden-orange in color. Has a rich, hoppy aroma. Very tempting.
The taste is equally great. Plenty of hops, well balanced. Mouthfeel is a great mix of sweet & bitterness and the aftertaste lingers on, playing on your taste buds. I tend to be stricter in my assessment of American IPAs, those being my favorite and I recognize my tendency to get carried away while having one - but this is indeed a great beer and I'll definitely recommend to all beer enthusiasts.

3.68/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - amber with a slightly orange hue, white fine head and lasting lace. I received two bottles in two different trades, and the first was quite cloudy and had a sediment. I will score off the second bottle which looked and tasted better, but wonder if there is a some variation in package quality. The batch finder on Bell's website seems to be either not working or choking on these batch numbers.

S - citrus hops with some fruit in the background, but definitely hops are up front

T - strong hop flavor and distinctively bitter finish made to seem all the more assertive by the very dry finish. The malt sort of disappears at the end leaving a lingering bitterness to ride it out alone

M - moderate body, bitterness is sharp and tongue-coating which has a bit of an astringent quality

O - decent hop-forward American IPA

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

A-The beer poured a hazy dark golden color. The thick, pillow-like head that capped the beer was an off white and lasted for almost the enitre duration of the drinking session.

S-For a supposed IPA I would have expected more hops in the aroma. My bottle might have been dated but it still smelled pretty good. There was a faint fruitiness (like marmalade or jelly) that was mixed with a more pronounced citrus/pine-like aroma. This ended with a hint of herbs or grassiness.

T-Initially, there was some fruit flavor and sweetness that transitioned into a more malty flavor but this changed over to the bitterness from the hops. While the IBU's in the beer weren't over the top, they did seem to balance the beer out well. There was a slight astringent flavor left after you swallowed along with a grassy herbal flavor from the hops.

M-My bottle had a low carbonation level and a light to medium body.

D-This was a good, balanced beer that lived up to some of the hype that has been put out about it. It is very drinkable due to it's lower body and low level of carbonation.

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer really impressed me. I am not a hop-head and it's a style that up to recently I did'nt spend much time on, but I am exploring more now. I enter each one with caution. Pour is cloudy rosy orange, rocky head. Smell is great, floral and fruity, hops right. Taste and mouthfeel is smooth, light, nice hop presence with just the right amount of bitterness, fruity but not overly so. Overall this beer does'nt make my mouth pucker, and I would love to have had lots more, but only bought a single, will be looking forward to it coming to my state, I hope.

4.48/5  rDev +5.2%

A-- a sort of golden with hues of orange and amber clouds swirling(if you look for it)

S-- smells like a 'garden' full of hops and flowers. also a grassy smell on tip of nose

T-- beautifuly arousing to the tounge. split at 60/40 percent favoring the bitter side but is quite balanced and lingers. actually tastes better after every sip. alcohol is hiding very good behind the hops.

M-- very smooth and easy going. could almost chug this one if it didnt cost so much

D-- very easy and enjoyable beer to drink but also sneaks up on you as the alcohol is well hidden inside the hops

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first review, so bear with me.

12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a hazy, ruddy orange color, almost amber with a 1/2 inch head that dissipates after a few moments. Minor amount of lacing.

S: Lots o' citrus. kind of reminds me of the smell of orange juice that has been reduced, with a healthy amount of floral hops tossed in.

T: Much like the smell, some very nice hoppiness accented by the citrus sweetness and balanced out nicely with some earthy malt. Aftertaste is fantastic. Not too bitter, but defiantly a noticeable floral hops flavor that lingers for quite a while.

M: Pretty light in body, same with carbonation. I don't think this diminishes the beers quality though. Not as overwhelming as many of the IPAs I have had are. Has a nice crispness to it.

D: I could drink these just about anywhere at anytime, but particularly when I am eating something spicy.

I was never much of an IPA guy until I had this, and it is still my favorite. I would recommend it to anyone.

4.05/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a large snifter, over some cribbage with Dad. Pours nice and hazy, honey or light amber in color. Nice airy head with great retention and light lacing.

The nose is very piney and green -- this will be a pretty loaded IPA, I'm assuming. In fact, I am little surprised it's not an Imperial/Double. Later, a citrus-like smell emerges... oranges. After a few sips, I am also sensing a bready sweetness in the aroma.

That malt sweetness hits you up front when sipping, but from there on, the hops dominate. The sweet flavors return a bit in the finish. While the hops really establish a presence, it is not overly bitter; this is a fairly smooth ride. There is some residual chalkiness from the massive hopping, but other than that the mouthfeel is pleasant.

I've loved this beer ever since Lisa C. brought it to a party of mine in Chicago about 5 years ago. So nice to revisit this time. It seemed much smoother than I remember, but I am guessing my hop-sensitivity has been dulled since then by infinite craft brew tasting sessions. So perhaps I should I add that this is indeed a hoppy beer -- buyer beware. Anyways, I hope my next pint of this isn't too far away. Here's to you, Lisa!

4.27/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Golden straw with small white head dissipates quickly.
S: Citrus, floral hops.
T: Huge hoppy flavor, with balanced bitterness. Pine cones, lemon.
M: Very refreshing, not too hoppy though. Very enjoyable. Light to medium sized body.
D: Awesome. Could have a couple easily. Great IPA

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Not to big into india pale ales but I must say this is probably going to be my go to in the pale ale category.

A: Looks very nice and talk about a good head... this thing makes for a damn good looking beer.

S: I get a strong smell of citrus to it, almost like smelling a grapefruit and some over sliced fruit off to the side.

T: Creamy texture good amount of hop bitter taste. Citrus add depth and complexity to the malt flavor. This drink has enough alcohol in it to give a little warmth but it could be missed.

M: As you continue to this drink it gets almost a silky smooth finish across your taste buds. I think this is what makes this beer for me.

D: Very very very drinkable... without a doubt my favorite IPA to date, looking to experiment more with IPA's now that this 6 pack has grown so much on me.

3.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

poured from a bottle into my "Cheers" the TV show licensed mug.

it looks great! Light amber... a little cloudy. the best head i've seen in a while. creamy white that last for a while.

not a whole lot on the nose. a little pinesol... but not in a bad way.

the lemon hits me on the first sip. moving more into the rind and pine on the second... i guess that's the pinesol scent i got. there's a hint of smoke or toast. it moves through the citrus range and lands a bit more on a bitter orange as you get a bit more into it. lemony orange - maybe cumquat... with a bit of and iron aftertaste. a little dusty. they yeast starts tasting a little "rapid rise" as it goes on. not at all in a bad way. but a bit in a buddy gave me his homemade apple cider - made with rapid rise - kind of way.

i like it. i will buy it again. it reminds me of the regular lagunitas IPA - but a little milder - again, in a good way. but i won't show it off to someone i'm trying to impress as super dooper.

reading the bottle after my review i agree that this is well suited to an adventure to the UP. it might even be my first choice if making that trek. the iron aftertaste seems to taste like the stream water from that area. not at all a bad thing.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

L: Truly a beautiful beer. Deep, hazy golden orange/amber, with a large, 2-finger pillowy head that fully lasting and left plenty of lacing.

S: Crisp, with lots of spicy, floral, and earthy hops. Some grapefruit.

T: Very hop forward, but with just enough carmel malts to calm the bitterness. The hops follow the nose - floral, spicy, and a little bit earthy.

F: Crisp, soft, and medium bodied.

O: Delicious. Balanced, crisp - truly wonderful. Would recommend, and will be buying much, much more.

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Smells very fresh, flowery and fruity. Great frothy head. Taste leans towards the bitter side, which is no surprise considering the style. Notes that make me think mostly of citrus rind, maybe some mild pine and sweetness.
Served in a tulip

4.59/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice golden yellow/amber color with a thick white head that sticks around and leaves a nice lace on the glass. You can count how many sips you have taken by the number of rings on the glass.

The aroma is very nice and complex, floral is the first thing that comes to mind, with a little citrus and pine. Even a little fruity, there is a lot going on here, it is best enjoyed in a glass such as a tulip that concentrates the aroma as you drink.

The taste is what all IPA's should taste like in my opinion. Crisp and lite but still complex, dry and hoppy on the finish. Smooth for an IPA. A beginner might shy away at first but a developed palate will really appreciate the complexity.

Very drinkable, smooth and goes down easy, high carbonation but it allows the flavor to come out.

One of my favorite beers from one of the mid-west's best breweries.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

This afternoon, my two sons and I dropped into Tyler's Taprooom in Durham, NC to have a pint before a Bulls baseball game (it doesn't get much better than this). My sons ordered their pints (root beers), and I ordered a Rogue Imperial IPA. The bartender pulled the tap, but it just spat some foam. She suggested that I try a Bell's Two Hearted Ale instead. I'd never had one, so I agreed. To be honest, I was expecting to be a little disappointed (it's hard to compete against a Rogue I2PA). Man, was I wrong!

Appearance: Poured a nice polished copper color, with a one finger, off-white colored head. The head diminished quickly, but didn't disappear altogether. It left some nice lacing at the top of the pint glass. Slight carbonation.

Smell: This was one of the most fragrant beers that I've ever experienced. It smelled like walking through a field of wild flowers, with citrus fruits and orange peel thrown in. Absolutely wonderful - this is how an IPA should smell.

Taste: No disappointment here either! Fresh grapefruit up front followed by an intense hoppy bitterness. The hoppy finish just went on and on. The only reason I didn't give it a five was because it lacked just a little malty sweetness to balance the bitterness. Awesome!

Mouthfeel: The slight carbonation made it very smooth.

Drinkability: Yes. May I have another please? Unfortunately, I only had time to have one, but I'll be back. Now I just have to find this in bottles. Fantastic stuff, excellent IPA.

Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.