Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Reviews: 1,751 | Ratings: 6,627
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The appearance was of a super cloudy, copper toned, glass full of sludge. A fresh keg spewed forth this less than ready to be served offering. It had a tannish wheat style head and produced no glass garnish. It just was not looking like a proper way to start the Oberon season.

The nose had orange peel scents and yeasty accents. Smells light and wheaty.

The taste was just unimpressive. I hope this glass was just a premature serve, because this was not the stuff I once knew. There was an unpleasant bitterness that didn't fit the picture quite right. It is hard to characterise. Watery and off bittered with no help of a sweet backbone. WTF? Disappointment to be sure.
I remember this particular beer being a heck of alot mo' betta around the turn of the century ( maybe 98, 99, 00 ). I used to look forward to its arrival during those days. Yeah, it was about the only micro I had ever dipped into in those dark ages. Malt liquor and other macros were my bread and butter and Oberon was my only trump card. Still, I think it has depreciated in character and taste since then based on the last few sixers I've drained. Now I had a crummy glass off tap too. I am shocked and hurt. I want my Solsun back! I have hope.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served in a Devil's Backbone weizen glass.

Figured I'd grab one o' these guys before they disappear for the rest of the year. It pours a pretty clear pale straw, riddled with particulates, topped by over a finger of healthy white froth. The nose comprises orange peel, mandarin orange flesh, puffed rice, and wet wheat. The taste comprises corn syrup, wheat, light mandarin orange, and flowers. The body is light, with a light carbonation and a thickly watery feel. Overall, a decent APWA, nothing close to special, but highly drinkable.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

A- 12 oz. bottle poured into my pint glass. There is about a finger of head, hazy orange color. Seems to be a lot of particles floating in the beer. Not very much lacing.

S- Immediately hit with the smell of citrus and in particular it is lemon and orange, the orange seeming to come through the most.

T- As expected, there is a huge citrus taste. The lemon comes through a lot more even though I felt I could pick up more orange in the smell. The lemon is a little to much for me.

M- Nice amount of carbonation in this beer and medium bodied. I think this is one of the most intriguing parts of this beer, works well.

D- The lemon in this beer is a little heavy for me. It certainly is not bad, but I can only enjoy that heavy lemon taste so much. Great for a summer day though when you just want to sit back, relax, and enjoy a nice beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured out a nice yellow with an orange hue. Head was moderate in size, yet went quickly to low ring around the top.

Aroma of graininess, sweet malt, and spice are accentuated by hint of citrus hops.

Tastes of spice, fruit (lemon, orange), wheat

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated, smooth

Overall it is well balanced, nice and smooth. With lots of character. Enjoy

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at Mad Mex. Pours a very light amber, almost golden with a tint of red. Smells wheaty with a little hop nose. Mostly lighter malts hit the nose. Tastes like banana wheat with a touch of clove. A tad bit of citrus is apparent. Maybe a little chalk. A little honey sweetness is also noticeable. Slightly bitter with good carbonation. Refreshing as it's rather light tasting. Good summertime beer; a thirst quencher.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

Opening Notes: This is a brew my roomates raved about and had been hesitant to try. Usually a fan of darker stouts, I was a bit "skurred" by the potential of another lighter colored beer.

Smell: Citrus and Yeast are the first two scents, a subtle welcoming aroma, I began to think this is a beer i should try rather than fear.

Pour: The bottled poured a brew into a pint glass with a hazy golden-orange color. The result was a slight head with a small amount of lacing.

Taste: Gotta admit, this is one I will drink again. citrus and wheat, those are the most evident flavors. the first brew went down well, but with the second, the flavor seemed to become harsh.

I concede, this is a good brew i will drink again, it's got a good mouthfeel, not too heavy, however distinct. this is a very drinkable beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz. brown bottle into my shaker "pint" glass. After swirling the last half an inch in the bottle, appears a very cloudy golden pale yellow color with about a finger of white foam. Minimal lacing is left on the inside of the glass. Smells of spicy wheat, citrus, mainly orange, and a mild bready aroma. Tastes of citrus, wheat, bready yeast and mild hops. Leaves a slightly sour aftertaste. A notch below medium in body with medium carbonation. Always a refreshing beer to have around in the warmer months.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours a hazy yellowish/orange color with a bright white one-inch head. Although the haze is thick, I can see a fairly high level of carbonation working its way toward the top of the glass.

S - A fair amount of yeast, orange, and lemon.

T - A very mild flavor but there are certain characteristics that stand out. Citrus from orange and lemon seems to dominate upfront. Next is the good mixture of malt and yeast. Somewhat bready but not overpowering.

M - Light but the carbonation has a little bite to it.

D - Very drinkable, especially in the hot summer sun. Not sure why I choose to review this in January.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured hazy orange with nice white/orange head. Lots of floaties in this beer like every other Bell's product I have had. Lacing is present to the last drop. Much to my surprise there is not much smell to lure you in. Others note a nice hop citrus smell. I smell malt and maybe a touch of citrus but not enough to speak of. I think this is just me though, I just like a hop aroma as opposed to malt. Has a nice citrus/hop entry with a smooth feel in the mouth followed with a gentle hop/malt finish. Interesting carbonation (it is highly carbonated). This is a good summertime beer and I was pleased enough with it. Very refreshing citrus/hop/malt balance. Well done in the flavor/mouthfeel department. Too bad that there was nothing that jumped out at me with this one; this makes going back to it for 9 bucks a six pack a little more than I can bear. It is just way too expensive for what it is. I guess Gumballhead spoiled me...there is no contest between this and the 3F product for this variety.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours hazy orange/straw color with very visible sediment. White head recedes in size quickly but stays present for remainder of drink.

S: Citrusy wheat. Bit of funky orange peel.

T: Slight orange, medium body (fuller taste than expected), slight hop presence but not as much as many Bell's.

M: Get a creamy texture, may be from all that sediment floating around in the beer. Carbonation is obvious in this beer which adds to pronounced mouthfeel.

O: Good beer. It would be a quality beer to have sitting out on a patio with friends, and a better alternative to Blue Moon if you like a slight orange hint in your beer. Smell could use a bit of improvement, however.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured fresh from a bottle from yesterday's release day. Love the label design, especially the box.

Ok, this year's batch of Oberon is hazy gold with some unfiltered floaties. Beautiful silky solid white head with great lacing that just coats the glass. Definitely looks appealing.

The nose is dropping hints of 'thin' and 'light'. Light wheat and lemon/orange rind aroma. Eh.

I'm getting all wheat and orange in the taste, some light sweetness. Very mild flavor with an extremely light aftertaste. Very drinkable.

Medium-light body, extremely smooth on the mouth. Perfect carbonation. Good summer session beer.

Overall Oberon is a very inoffensive beer from all angles that most anybody can enjoy.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a dehydrated urine yellow in Bell's tulip.

Smell is nice and refreshing with hints of lemon and fresh cut grass.

Taste is pale malts and straw. Lemon zest come through but not as strongly as with the smell. Just not that much going on here for me.

Mouthfeel is light bodied but nicely carbonated.

Overall this was o.k. Not that complex, but refreshing for a summer day.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pretty white oak color, unfiltered. Off white head.

Smell is nice, clean, wheaty, citrus.

Taste is ok. Lager-y.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, moderate weight, nice carbonation.

Finish is of a type with the flavor. Light. Sessiony. Not my bag, baby.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

March 27, 2006 the release date of Bell's Oberon.
This brew was my first real sample of craft beer back in the mid to late nineties. It has always been one of my favorites. I know when Oberon is in the stores, warm weather is on the way. Since joining BA and learning about craft beers, I've been anticipating the release of this beer, and here is the review. I must admit its been a year or two since I've had this.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Hefeweizen glass.
Batch code 7274. Packaged on March 1st 2006.

Pours a very cloudy, faint orange, almost yellow color. Gigantic, three inch thick, frothy white head. Minutes go by before the head starts to fade, leaving tons of sticky, clingy lacing, everywhere. Smell is not what I remember. Mostly, bready, yeasty aromas, with wheat and malts in the background. Weak citrus smell, maybe lemons and spice. I remember a huge citrus smell, more like oranges and lemons. Maybe this beer has changed over the years or maybe my palate has changed. Taste is a little weak, lots of yeast,bread, malts and finishes with a slightly bitter lemony, citrusy flavor. Hints of bananas. Lots of carbonation with a slightly dry feeling. Medium to light feel,thin and smooth. A great session beer, especially during the Spring and Summer months. I'm a little disappointed in the taste and smell, I thought both were stronger than I remember. Anyway, still one of favorite beers and one I'll enjoy all Summer long. Oberon is back, baby! Thank you Bell's!

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bell's Oberon Ale is a Michigan craft beer. This beer has an amber appearance with a nice foamy head. The smell is a little hoppy and has a strong hint of orange. The taste also has very strong orange notes. It has a light mouthfeel. Overall this is a very refreshing beer and I would strongly recommend it to non-beer drinkers trying to ease into beer.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz bottle, poured into tulip glass.

I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I'll give just about anything Bell's makes a go.

A: Beautiful, opaque amber color that turns golden when held up to light. The white head dissipates quickly, leaving a fine lace. There's visible sediment, but that's never bothered me.

S: Aroma's really bizarre here, in that it reminds me of unpleasant things but is still enticing. I guess the nice thing to say is that it smells like orange rind...but borders on rotten fruit. (My wife replaced rotting fruit with soap, but also likes the aroma.) Maybe it's my poor sense of smell, but I like this despite what it's telling me.

T: Strong citrus flavors up front -- lemon zest, orange -- quickly cleared away by just the right amount of hop bitterness. There's a bit of an aspirin aftertaste at the end that fights with the citrus, but it's the latter that lingers on my tongue. Pleasant overall.

M: Surprisingly creamy for a lighter beer, and effervescent. The aspirin aftertaste does make for a somewhat gritty finish, but as with taste, this is a minor flaw.

D: My bias against the style aside, this is a very drinkable beer. Worth sipping and savoring so that some of its eccentricities can come through. I wouldn't want to drink this as a session beer, but it could easily be done on a hot day.

All told, Bell's has made an American Wheat Beer that I can get behind, which is no small feat.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Notes from 7/26/11. On tap in Milwaukee.

A - Pale straw yellow with an orange glow. Slightly hazy. One finger of fluffy white head.

S - Citrus & grain. A fairly weak nose

T - Citrus and some grainy notes with a light clove background flavour. Slightly sweet with a very slightly bitter, dry finish.

M - Light body. Medium carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Refreshingly light overall, the sort that's perfect on a hot Summer day with a crisp wheatyness. There's a malty core taste with a bit of citrus flavor (but not specifically orange, grapefruit, lime, etc.)

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

From the bottom of a 7/13/11 bottle, there is a fair amount of sediment, most of which ends up in my glass. Very, very cloudy, this reminds me of a glass of pineapple juice.

Aroma is wheaty and grainy and yeasty - about what you'd expect. Taste is similar with touches of lemon and spice and biscuit. There is a much-needed kiss of hops at the end to distinguish this American wheat from its European brethren.

It's not overly sweet or yeasty, so surely the drinkability is there. It's certainly not my favorite style, but I think I'll have no problem working my way through the case (received as a gift) as summer starts to wind down.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Ugly bottle. Translucent custard colored liquid with a foamy white head. No lace but strong retention from glass top to bottom.

Smells of like a bag of oats and yeasty wheat funk.

Tastes like lemon citrus and wheat. Mild herbal hop in back lingers for a drying aftertaste. Pretty standard stuff here albiet done well.

For what it's worth I don't like wheat beers and I liked this one. Goes good with a sunny day.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-pours a nice yellow straw color with some hazy and sediment, white head with decent retention
S-sweet malt, wheat, slight herbal spiciness
T-honey and wheat, spicy herbal flavor throughout, slight dry biscuit in the finish
M-medium bodied, good amount of carbonation, crisp
O-very refreshing beer, great summer session beer

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

On tap, had a few ten ounce pours into a tulip glass. Pours a golden yellow body with a small white head. Decent lacing. Aroma is of wheat, grass, light spice, and some citric hops. Flavor follows the nose. Somewhat boring, but quite refreshing on a hot day.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Had this in Milwaukee on draft at Bar Louie (80 taps, 40 beers on tap) kinda wierd - but better turnover when pouring 40 vs 80.

Light copper color - clear. Mild malt carmel aroma, did not notice wheat's slightly sour character. Perhaps this keg has some age on it? Flavor, very well made beer, good attenuation and malt flavor, but still a bit too malty for me. Finishes slightly cloying.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks to prototypic for this bonus

A: poured a pale straw yellow with two fingers of fizzy white head. The head didn't stick around very long but left a thin cover throughout the beer

S: the smell is pretty lacking... Getting faint hints or oranges and spice

T: follows the nose... Nothing that is standing out in particular. Faint citrus and spice but very refreshing

M: light medium body with great carbonation complementing it throughout the whole beer.

O: overall I thought this was a very refreshing beer that I would want to have pool side. Not the best wheat beer ivehad, but I would definitely pick up a sixer if it was available here

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very good wheat beer, nice cloudy light orage color, head goes quick, with little lacing. extremely drinkable, with nice fruity apricot? peach? flavors. I can say I will continue to drink this one throughout the summertime. Definately not the best Bell's has ever done, but one of the better wheats I have ever had.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.