Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale
3.82/5
Very Good
Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Ratings: 6,879 |  Reviews: 1,815
1.92/5  rDev -49.7%

was hoping for "shock-top" goodness; instead i got warm beer at the bar door smell. honestly folks, who recommends this stuff? a friend mistakenly bought me this smelly offering. told me he had some ipa. sorry buddy you bought me foul-smelling brew.

cloudy pour
insulting smell
flat taste
no finish

10 bottles left from 12 pack
one broke on the street in front of his house
very ofensive aroma. sorry oberon, something is wrong.

1.96/5  rDev -48.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

That's a yeasty bitch! Pours opaque orange, with a ton of yeast floaties(too damn many), I'd better find something to read on the pot for tomorrow morning.
Smell's,,,,neutral. Maybe some citrusy wheat?
Just not real flavorful, but there is a bit of wheatiness and a background citrus flavor. Oh, wait yeast sandwich. Virtually no aftertaste.
Mouthfeel.... well, it''s carbonated, that's gotta count for something, right?
Actually pretty drinkable, not much there, so not much there to complain about. Oooohhh... Larry Bell, you're tricky.

1.96/5  rDev -48.7%

A: Gold, extremely cloudy and full of ... stuff. The stuff seems to be suspended like dirt in a lemon jello. Actually looks kinda gross, but whatever. No head to speak of. Meh.

S: Smells sour, overbitter, too grainy. Reminds me of cheap beer. This doesn't look good so far.

T: Tastes rather awful. I think this one might have gone bad. But Bell's Brew Finder says it should be good until November, so I can't be blamed. Reminds me of the bland German beers I've tried, with extra bitterness and less sweetness. Pretty awful - was expecting a lot more. Aftertaste of dirt. Maybe I've lost all taste for wheat beer.

M: Overcarbonated, medium-light body, astringent, dry. Doesn't help the flavor.

D: I can't drink any more. I'm going to pour it out. Maybe I have a bad sample, maybe I just don't like this style, but I can't stand this one. It's not worth the pain to me.

1.99/5  rDev -47.9%

Batch 10264 from the bottle Bell's Oberon, poured into a Brooklyn Tulip.

This beer is off. I'm not sure if this what it is intended to taste like, but it smells and tastes like soybean milk. It has a weird cereal, bean-y smell and taste. I could not finish it and poured it out. It didn't taste very much like wheat or citrus, but mostly like old tofu. Not good.

If this was a macro attempt at a craft brew, it wouldn't get a C rating. For as bland as it is, I'm actually kind of angry it has such a high ABV, which precludes me from having 6 of them on a Saturday afternoon without getting more sauced than I'd prefer.

2.02/5  rDev -47.1%

Just not what I like.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.82 out of 5 with 6,879 ratings