Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale
3.82/5
Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Ratings: 6,869 |  Reviews: 1,815

If this was a macro attempt at a craft brew, it wouldn't get a C rating. For as bland as it is, I'm actually kind of angry it has such a high ABV, which precludes me from having 6 of them on a Saturday afternoon without getting more sauced than I'd prefer.

2.02/5  rDev -47.1%

Just not what I like.

2.16/5  rDev -43.5%

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%

Good clean basic beer nice

2.25/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.26/5  rDev -40.8%

Look: Hazy like an unfiltered wheat ale should be, nice yellow gold color, but there are little tiny things floating about. Big lasting head.
Smell: light sulphur of eggs, which did not dissipate with time nor did I habituate to it. This ruined the whole experience, especially after all the build up by Bell's coming to Nashville.
Taste: smooth, medium body. Light bready fruity taste. Lingering hop bitterness or astringency.
Feel: Fine
Overall: I can't get past the smell. Way too funky for me...

2.26/5  rDev -40.8%

Oberon is now huge and is Bell's top selling beer, with annual release parties at local taverns and beer stores each spring. You know a beer is ubiquitous when I can purchase a six pack at Walmart, accompanied by the stupid smiley face logo promoting a price drop to $7.54 per six pack (don't ask me why I was at a Walmart, but it wasn't intentional).

Having long consumed it, I was obviously familiar with the beer. I never drink it with friggin' fruit, but that's just me. Oberon pours pale orange or dark straw in color and the head dissipates quickly. The body is thin and there is a soft citrus aroma on the nose. The first sip strikes the upper palate with a shock of bitterness and the taste rolls back on the tongue with all the grace of a used gym sock. It lingers on with a mix of bitterness, acidity and dirty laundry. While much of the distastefulness can be covered up or balanced with the slice of orange, the same can also be said of a Corona or Sol with a lime. This really isn't an honestly pleasant quaff.

While I don't mean to be overly harsh, because the beer is palatable, it's certainly not even close to being worth all the fuss it generates. In fact, it's below average, particularly for what is supposed to be a "refreshing" summer wheat beer ... instead, it's stringent and way too bitter. There are many, many better tasting and more consistent choices out there, in my opinion.

While I love Bell's Brewery and the vast majority of their offerings--and I adore wheat beers--this just simply isn't one of them. Even though I'm obviously in the minority in that opinion judging by Oberon's sales.

2.33/5  rDev -39%

Cloudy appearance like many wheat ales. My beer had large pieces of something (my guess is yeast) floating in the beer. Mild aroma.

2.34/5  rDev -38.7%

A - This is a tasty looking summer beer. Hazy light orange with a nice one finger head that sticks around for a while. No lacing, but that is expected of a light summer brew.

S - Smell is what you would expect for a wheat beer. Cloves, light sugar, orange, tangerine. Very little hop profile.

T - So this is pretty much where things fall apart. Cloves. And some bananas. And that's it. No citrus hops, no malt backbone. Cloves and bananas. And more cloves.

M - Thin and bubbly. The carbonation was so strong that the overpowering taste hits the roof of your mouth in a not so pleasant way.

D - This is just about as drinkable as your typical Miller Lite or High Life. Now don't get me wrong, when I'm unwinding with my buddies and looking for a night out, nothing beats 8 or 9 Miller Lites or High Lifes - but, that is certainly not what I'm looking for in a craft beer.

2.37/5  rDev -38%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

2.37/5  rDev -38%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A- cloudy off yellow colored body, small fingernail head that reduces to a thin discontinuous layer

N - something about this that turns me away.. I can pick up citrus but there's something else on the forefront that I can't quite put my finger on

M - light and noticeable carbonation feel

T - eh.. Same as the nose. I can pick up citrus flavor which is great but there's something that turns me off

O - this bottle was 2 months old but that's not bad.. I don't know but I wasn't a fan of this. I wouldn't cringe if offered one but I would ask what else was is available..

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.82 out of 5 with 6,869 ratings