Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Reviews: 1,751 | Ratings: 6,634
3.36/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle with the date code of 11/21/13 clearly visible on the label into a pint glass and get 1/4 finger of head.

A: Pours a clear, golden amber color with 1/4 finger of head that dissipates fast and leaves almost a complete covering on the top of my glass. Pretty good lacing present.

S: Smell of wheat and citrus is present.

T: Taste of dried apricots, citrus and wheat. Tastes juicy and finishes a little dry.

M: Goes down good enough. Medium- bodied and highly carbonated. Finishes dry.

O: I guess that I'm not a fan of this style so I will be objective because I can't get too excited about this beer. I like the aroma of banana and clove and a chewy wheat beer. This is not that kind of beer. It is not a beer that I could drink too much of and I will not buy it again.

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Hazy, orangish-yellow, much like the background color on the label.

S: Nothing too spectacular, some citrus, very little to no hop presence.

T: I really like this beer. I am usually very skeptical of any wheat beer, but this does not have the overpowering yeastiness of some other wheat beers in the same/similar style have had. There are subtle but very noticeable hints of citrus (tangerine?), honey, and very slight spiciness that I can't nail down. Not overpowering, and not too bland: this is a very well balanced beer.

M: Very nice with appropriate carbonation.

D: Exceptional. I could drink these all day, especially in hot weather out on the patio.

Overall, I am really enjoying this beer. As mentioned earlier, I am usually somewhat reluctant about wheat beers, but this is inspiring me to expand my horizons. Another excellent beer from Bell's.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from bottle to Sam Adams glass.

Appearance> Golden in color. Very clear, not much haze at all. Long-lasting white head.

Smell> First smell hit me with room-temperature smashed strawberries. It smelled a lot like I was making strawberries and shortcake, nice warm-sweet aroma. Citrus hit after the strawberry and then I could smell the wheat coming through. Light and wonderful.

Taste> Light to medium wheat flavor, hops come through, but definite fruit as well as other citrus notes (read the smell description above).

Mouthfeel> Medium carbonation, medium body.

Overall> Exceptional session beer. Very smooth and the fruit and other citrus notes make this great. Not overwhelming with the body and it's an all-around great American wheat beer.

3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this on tap at a local bar. Served a hazy orangeish yellow with a one finger head. Has a slight fruit smell, maybe some orange. Has a nice refreshing subtle citrus flavor. This is a smooth and refreshing summer beer. I will definitely hvae this again.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Cloudy yellow-amber brew with a persistent one finger head. Smells of bread, yeast, and malt. Taste pretty much follows the smell, with a fair amount of bitterness, which i like. Mouth feel is on the light side with a fair amount of carbonation.

Haven't tasted many wheat ales, but this seems to match the description. If it is any indication of what beers in this category taste like, i should be drinking more American pale wheat ales.

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a bottle into a plastic cup in a hotel room. I'm aware that's not the best serving vessel, buts it's all I had.

Appearance: hazy, golden color, head disappeared quickly.

Aroma: citrus, spices, bit of malt

Taste: Citrus, lots of wheat, some malt backbone.

Mouthfeel: a bit thin

Drinkability: for a summer wheat, I could drink a bunch of these, definitely would be nice on a hot summer day.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance: Straw in color,. Nice creamy head, which slowly settles, but does not disappear.

Aroma: Citrus yeast aroma.

Taste: Wheat flavor is very strong, with a hint of citrus’s in the finish.

Very well balanced overall. Thick and yet smooth at the same time. Almost a buttery finish.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Beautiful summer beer hazy orange/yellow smells of citrus and hops. Tastes of great wheat and some citrus fresh and refreshing but not weak. Mouthfeel is substantial and grainy. Drinkability - my favorite summer wheat beer - I try others only to be disappointed - I had to pick up a sixer of these this summer to finally scratch my summer beer itch.

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Weizen glass.

Pours a cloudy straw color with a thin white head.

Nose is dominated by lemon zest and wheat with a little bit of spice to it.

Taste is lemon, wheat, some grassiness, and some good floral hop flavors. Definitely a warm weather beer.

Mouthfeel is initially very crisp. Medium body and kind of sticky with high carbonation.

Drinkability is high. I can't find a big flaw with this one, other than it being cold and rainy. I'm looking forward to this one when the weather breaks.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Sitting on my deck on the first day of summer (or last day of spring) on a beautiful afternoon - the perfect setting for this beer.

Appearance - Nice cloudy look typical of a wheat ale. Beautiful light orange color - as the bottle says "color of a sunny afternoon".

Smell - Nothing spectacular about the aroma. Kind of like heading south on a gal just out of the shower (sorry). Perhaps there is a slight citrus scent to it, but certainly not a "spicy hop character" and I'm really reaching on that.

Taste - Things start getting good again. I typically like big bold ales and this ain't one of them, but it has a very drinkable taste to it. The kind I could put down all afternoon at a bbq or on the beach (in fact, I need to bring a bunch on vacation).

Mouthfeel - Nice. Has a slightly creamy mouthfeel to it. No biiterness lingering around. In fact, even a few minutes after finishing my glass, my mouth is still happy.

Overall - A great summer beer. As in sitting around outside on a summer day kind of beer.

Follow-up 8/22/2014: Bought some bottles for a Gulf Shores, AL beach house visit - HUGE hit. Then filled a growler at Moondog Growlers in Marietta, GA on the drive home. Got to say I'm not impressed with fresh version. Just nothing to it. Looking forward to comparing it with a can tomorrow.

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

Another solid offering from one of my all time fave breweries. Although this one wont knock your socks off, it is quite refreshing . Pale hazy yellow / orange color from the tap in to the glass. Noticed small floaters throughout.. First taste is wheat for sure followed by citrus toward the back end. Nothing amazing , but I it is a solid go to beer. Usually , when this one is released, summer is right around the corner!

4.48/5  rDev +17%

This has to be one of the cloudiest beers I've ever drank. It looks like banana puree... Head is very think and lasts. Lots of lacing.

Sweet bread and yeast are the first two things I smell... defenitly different than a typical Hefe... no banana smell.

A very sweet and tasty brew. Very grainy in mouth with a bread like finish. Very good.

Super thick and creamy in mouth. Coats tounge well.

A great brew. Unique taste and smell along with great feel in the mouth makes this beer a winner.

3.99/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small white head. Leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass

S - A slightly fruity/spicy aroma with the presence of malts

T - Tastes like it smells, fruity and a bit "spicy" with a light herbal flavor.

M - Medium body, with decent carbonation.

D - Highly drinkable without all the spices getting in the way like they do with some beers. Goes does smooth and is quite refreshing..great beer for a hot day.

Great summer session. Got a slight head with carbonation and the floaties which I didn't notice when I drank a few of these last summer. Can smell the yeast along with the coriander and the tongue demonstrates some hops and slight malts balanced well. The mouthfeel is mdium. I really like this one. Tastes better than I rememebered. Probably grab a growler of this from my favorite beer and wine shop and enjoy once again. Cheers.

4.6/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To me this beer smells, tastes, is summer. Served on the patio of nice little bar in Dublin, OH. The waitress brought the draft served with a orange slice on the rim of the glass. I was apprehensive about the orange at first, so I ordered another one without the orange slice in order to do a side-by-side comparison. I was shocked, the orange sliced beer was actually pretty damn good.
It pours a nice bronze-orange color with a thin white head. The body is a little cloudy, but hey it should be. The taste was fruity, citrus, and breadlike. A remarkably smooth drinking beer that you won't even realize that you drank ten or twelve of them till you get your tab. I recommend this be consumed on a patio in the sun, then well into the night.....

3.41/5  rDev -11%

Bells Oberon Ale. This is a great very easy drinkable summertime beer and when I say drinkable I simply mean it goes down very easy. Golden , highly carbonated with about a 2 finger head. This reminded me a lot of a Heineken and had a lemony citrus taste with a hint of hops at the end.

3.47/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A) Orangey straw. 1/4 inch head that quickly flattens but continues to cover the beer. Light grain and spiciness.

S) Spice and gentle malt-sweetness

T) Spicey, reminds me of a witbier. Soft grain. A hint of bitterness. A slightly cloying sweetness.

M) Light-Medium

O) While I wasn't crazy about it, I'm not really sure how it stacks up against the style. I'm not very familiar with the style.

4.57/5  rDev +19.3%

Aroma: Fruity Esters, Slightly Sweet with a Pleasantly Clean Hop Aroma.
Appearance: Cloudy, Golden Appearance with a Dense White Head.
Flavor: Malty up front with Huge Fruity Esters Balanced with a Fruity/spicey Hop Bitterness, Probably Saaz Hops. Hint of Biscuit or Bready Flavor From the Wheat Malt. Slight Alcohol Warmth. A lot Fruitier if you Swirl the Yeast at the Bottom of the Bottle and add it to your Glass.
Mouthfeel: Medium-Full Bodied Ale
Overall Impression: Oberon is the First Sign of Michigan Summertime-Thick Humid Air and Mosquitoes. Bell's Launches their Summer American Wheat Beer. Perfect beer for those "Up North" Michigan Nights. This is the Beer that turned me onto Homebrewing. This is probably one of the Best Beers I Have Ever Had.

3.14/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

L: Cloudy orange and tan with yeasty remnents

S: Brown sugar and orange with clove spice

T: malty light brown sugar and wheat with malts.

F: Full mouthfeel that drinks so well but causes some trouble in my stomach. Avoid drinking this with fried food as there is some volitile reaction that happens.

Overall: It's a very well rounded beer. The unpasterized side of things doesn't agree with my stomach, so I am biased in that regard.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Nice hazy golden beer with light carbonation. Thin about 1" head that dissapates quickly leaving a little lacing.

S - Nice hop smell of wheat and a little malt underneath. Medium smelling beer that is nice to sniff.

T - There are some citrus and wheat tastes up front that give way to a sweet finish. It's a sweeter wheat beer but a great summer day beer.

MF - Light bodied, mild carbonation

D - Easy to drink and good in the heat.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a clouded straw color with a modest head that leaves nice lacing. Heavy chunks of yeast sink to the bottom right away. Spicy, citrusy aroma. Nice wheat flavor with a bit of spice and a bit of lemony citrus. Mildly bitter hop bite. Seems to be most closely related to the witbier style, though with a bit of hops to give it an American character. Highly drinkable, maybe my favorite summer seasonal.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap out for lunch.

I'd heard a lot about this beer and couldn't wait to try it.

Appeared average, nice color, veyr little head. Smelled of citrus, very pleasant.

Taste was very smooth, with crisp citrus notes. Easy to drink. A GREAT summer beer, wish we could get it in Arizona!

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Poured golden yellow w/ a frothy sturdy white head.

A: Smells of citrus zest, pale malts, and a light citrus hop aroma.

F: Flavor mimmicks the aroma, lemon/citrus zest upfront, but not overpowering, back up by light pale malts. Didn't get any wheat charachter or flavor. Very refreshing without the citrus astringency.

M: Light-Medium body mouthfeel and carbonation. No creaminess / alcohol warmth.

O: Very refreshing and perfect for summer. Where other summer beers are watered down, this beer actually has some supporting body with the pale and wheat malt.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Poured with cloudy orange hint witha great head that stuck around for the duration. Being served in a stemmed bulb glass the hints of citrus and wheat came across nicely. The taste was a great depicition of an American wheat and the mouthfeel was that of a great summer beer light and crisp with good favors and low carbonation.

Overall a beer I would recommend.

One of my favorite summertime brews, and with the 100+ temps we've had lately, this has been a staple. Pours a light, hazy orange with a finger of quickly dissipating off-white head. Has a pleasant aroma of oranges, tangerines, and wheat. The taste closely follows the nose, with a light, zesty sweet orange flavor coating the tongue, with just a hint of hop spiciness. This beer is well-carbonated, as it tickles the tongue and goes down really smooth, although there's that same hop spiciness on the finish. This is just a really solid summertime brew, and is really tasty alongside a fruit salad.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.