Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Reviews: 1,750 | Ratings: 6,631
4.62/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

There's a reason why this is the leader of Bell's Brewery. It's a great beer. It's great to drink on a warm day. Your friends drink it too. It's on tap just about everywhere (In Michigan at least...). It comes with an orange, sometimes. There is a great amount of citrus and the Saaz hops really bring it all together. Overall, one of my favorites.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

A - dark straw colored, head fades quickly with no lacing. Beer is cloudy opaque.

S - Hops, yeast, grass.

T - Sweet, mild hops. Very mild flavor, the wheat is there, sweet, undemanding and refreshing.

MF - Prickly, full, not watery at all, surprisingly.

D - Summer beer. Would be easy to drink, but it's not 'challenging' at all.

For a wheat beer, this one has more flavor than many I've had.

3.29/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - Cloudy with chunks of yeast floaties that eventually settled to the bottom, pale orange, thin white head

Aroma - not a lot there, slight citrus and bread, grainy

Mouthfeel - moderate CO2, medium bodied (fuller than I imagined), slight coating

Taste - sweet bread, slight fruitiness, grain, little orange character

Residual - slightly off aftertaste, coating

Overall - Was expecting more. Over the last month I've seen an excessive amount of 20+ case displays of oberon so I figured it was worth checking out. Wasn't a terrible beer, but also wasn't a particularly good one... I certainly do not understand the hype. There are a lot of better wheat beers out there.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Translucent tangerine with a moderate head. It didn't linger too long and didn't immediately vanish.

S- Wheat, sweet grass and a tart finish that is vaguely citrus.

T- Delicious! Crisp and light with a subtle sweetness that eventually reveals a delicate hop flavor. It's as the bottle sez-- summery.

M- There's nothing outstanding of note either way-- nothing offensive and nothing extraordinary. This isn't a bad thing-- for me anyway-- it's a tasty beer for a summer day.

O- I suppose from a critique standpoint, there's not much I can wax poetic about with this beer, but the bottom line is that it's a good beer to quaff with friends. I'll be having this again!

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Pours a hazy, unfiltered orange/golden. Nice puffy head that leaves a lot of lacing along the side. A good looking beer.

S - Not a lot of smell to this one, mostly some bready malt, hints of spice

T - Taste is fruity and bready with a touch of spice. Lemon, orange, zest, mixed with some wheat and biscuit, and a touch of coriander. Good blend of everything here. Quite good.

M - A full taste, crisp and refreshing, perfect for a hot summer night.

Overall - Very good beer, refreshing, full bodied. Certainly a rite of summer

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%

This poured a nice gold with a 2 inch head in a wheat beer glass. Nice lacing. As inviting as it appeared, I was somewhat underwhelmed with the taste. It was a nice, lightly sweet, lightly spiced flavor. Very mild hops on the front. The smell was almost nonexistent for me. I probably wouldn't go this way again. It was, however, certainly refreshing with a zest that could squelch the summer heat.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz bottle, poured into tulip glass.

I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I'll give just about anything Bell's makes a go.

A: Beautiful, opaque amber color that turns golden when held up to light. The white head dissipates quickly, leaving a fine lace. There's visible sediment, but that's never bothered me.

S: Aroma's really bizarre here, in that it reminds me of unpleasant things but is still enticing. I guess the nice thing to say is that it smells like orange rind...but borders on rotten fruit. (My wife replaced rotting fruit with soap, but also likes the aroma.) Maybe it's my poor sense of smell, but I like this despite what it's telling me.

T: Strong citrus flavors up front -- lemon zest, orange -- quickly cleared away by just the right amount of hop bitterness. There's a bit of an aspirin aftertaste at the end that fights with the citrus, but it's the latter that lingers on my tongue. Pleasant overall.

M: Surprisingly creamy for a lighter beer, and effervescent. The aspirin aftertaste does make for a somewhat gritty finish, but as with taste, this is a minor flaw.

D: My bias against the style aside, this is a very drinkable beer. Worth sipping and savoring so that some of its eccentricities can come through. I wouldn't want to drink this as a session beer, but it could easily be done on a hot day.

All told, Bell's has made an American Wheat Beer that I can get behind, which is no small feat.

Reviewed on 3/28/2009

I bought this at The Wine And Cheese place the other day, they sent an update through e-mail saying they had just received them in and they were bottled on 3/11/2009!! Super fresh. So I had to go get some while they had them.

12oz bottle with a squigly drawing of a sun with a face. No freshness date.

A- Poured it into my Bitburger pilsner glass. Pours a light copper color, looks slightly unfiltered and I see no sediment. Many tiny bubbles make their way to the top of the glass at a quick pace. Fluffy, even white head, with some lacing on the sides. Looks good to me!

S- Smells of many light (orange) citrus fruits, sweet like clementine or tangerine. Very light hop presence.

T- Sweet, perfect amount of carbonation, again all of the light citrus fruits are coming through. Orange, tangerine, and clementine. Leaves a pleasant after taste!This is a very tasty wheat beer!

D- Very. I could drink these all day at a good speed.

Notes: Great for any outdoor summer or spring lounging or activity! Unfortunately today is a very rainy, glum day; the weather channel is even saying we are supposed to get a couple inches of snow! But despite the cold and ugly weather, this is a beautiful beer good for any occasion. Thank you, Bell's for another great beer.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a hazy golden orange with an icy head that dissipates quickly. Some clumpy lacing.

Smells of orange, sourdough and yeast.

Taste is disappointing. Nothing past malt sweetness on the front of the tongue.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery despite the strong carbonation.

Overall, a decent session beer, and probably good with summer fare.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into a pint from Pearl Street Pizza, Indianapolis, IN.

A: Nice appearance off tap. A tad cloudy, golden in color. Medium lacing and fingers with a decent head off the pour that died relatively fast.

S: Citrus, slight grapefruit, orage, resin are some notes to the nose here. Enjoyable to smell with a nice character all around.

T: Balance of hops, malts and specialties really make this an easy drinking beer with some real character. Finishes a tad earthy and slightly dry.

M: Spritzy and medium modies on the tongue and cheeks.

O: Truly a beer for the summer. Just wish I could get this in CO.

3.71/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from bottle to a weizen glass. Cloudy with the color of a wheat field on a bright day. Massive frothy head that is retained for the whole session with some chunks of lace here and there. Looking closer, it is very cloudy with bits of suspended yeast. Some remained stuck to the bottom of the bottle.

The scent is not overly potent, but pleasant none-the-less. Hints of citrus with wheat malt. Some yeast, but not intense.

It tastes simple and feels smooth. Moderate weight on the mouth with wheat, citrus, maybe the tiniest hint of clove.

Overall, I did enjoy this Summer Ale, though I am not sure it is worthy of the hype and following that it seems to have. To each their own.

Appearance- Pale golden with a cm or two of snow white head. Lots of floaters and tiny bubbles.

Smell- Honestly not much there, some light wheaty malt.

Taste- Same as the smell maybe a little floral on the finish but its subtle.

Mouthfeel- On the light side of medium.

Overall- A solid refreashing summer beer. Thats the best I can say about it but I'm also not a huge fan of most wheat beers. Glad I got to try it in a pick a 6 becuase I probably wouldn't have gotten a 6 pack.

4.48/5  rDev +17%

I had this as my first beer on my 21st birthday. I saw it again on tap and thought that it is high time I actually enjoy this one...

A: Cloudy orange color with a nice head that lasts throughout. nice lacing as well

S: citrus/orange and sweet wheat.

T: Refreshing sweet and even a little fruity taste that finishes quickly. Definitely one of the best wheat beers I have had.

M: This one is very different. It is thicker, but it is so clean and refreshing even, that it feels close to perfect.

D: This is a fantastic beer. Easily one that could become my favorite. Easy to drink and enjoy, while not so dull and lame that it is a throw away beer. Highly highly recommend this brew.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

A- This beer pours a nice golden yellow with a nice 1" head wich lingers for a bit then dies down to a light skin that floats on top. The only thing that hold this beer's loog back is it has a lot of yeast floating in it that might turn some people off. But not me.

S- At first it smells like it's going to be a vary hoppy beer but then I got a little wiff of fruit of some sorte and wheat and it smells like a real cool beer perfect for summer.

T- You get a good amount of hops right away but just a quick I got a lot of wheat and just a taste of some fruit.

M- Good carbonation right on the money. It real light great for them hot summer days after work. The hops gives it little kick also.

D- I've had this beer before twice from a bottle and one on tap at Bell's this is a really good beer of theirs they did a good job. Now that it's getting colder out I prolly wouldn't go seeking it out now, but it could easily fill out my six pac if I couldn't find a winter beer. But I would drink this all the time in the warm weather if I could.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

AP: like cloudy honey but not so thick. Robust, white head after the bottle swirl to get the sediments mixed in.

AR: citrus-y, almost sour. Rising dough smell is faint at first but seems to come alive more and more as the beer sits in the glass.

M: light and not near as effervescent as one might expect from a bottle conditioned beer.

TA: much hoppier than your standard wheat beer. Has a typical wheat sweetness with a hoppy bitterness than remains after the swallow. Seems like many Wheats are bittered with spice and rind. This certainly seems to possess a greater hop load than the normal wheat beer.

I recommend.

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A well crafted beer overall. The appearance was clear with a deep yellow color. The head had a light appearance but persisted the whole way to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was nice with strong smells of citrus and wheat that carried into the taste. The beer was quite drinkable and would have been better outdoors on a nice day (instead of the continual crappy winter we are currently suffering in Pittsburgh).

The only downside to this beer was the mouthfeel. Too much bite on the tongue keeps me from following the first beer with a second.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

A decent pale Wheat Ale.

Appearence: Pours an inviting somewhat bright orange color with a head that fades after a few minutes leaving a little lacing afterwards.

Smell: The bottle is right, it definetly reminds me of a sunny afternoon, smells of orange peel and spice.

Taste: Tastes of a lemon/orange citrus with a slight spicy aftertaste, very smooth.

Mouthfeel: Not too bubbly, won't hurt to savor it.

Drinkability: A light carbonation makes it easy going down, but a slightly bitter aftertaste contradicts it a bit. Good.

Bottom Line: A good summery beer, nothing amazing but definetly something worth trying. Ta ta.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Had on tap at Mac's Pizza Pub.

Pours a hazy, yellow-orange with a creamy head and excellent lacing.

Smells of orange and lemon rinds, and cereal grains. Yeasty and wheaty.

Tastes so, so refreshing. The kiss of citrusy hops meshes very well with the slight biscuity malts and eventual cereal grain finish. Extremely crisp. Finishes dry, prompting for another sip.

Carbonation is moderate and adds to the refreshing character of this beer. Medium bodied, at best, this is an extremely drinkable brew. At an 5.8% ABV, I'd go ahead and session this on a hot summer day. A fantastic brew to grill out with, or just sit and enjoy good company.

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsner flute.

A - A nice hazy light honey color topped with a four finger rocky head that leaves moderate curtains of lace down the glass. The nicest part of the experience.

S - Wheaty, grassy notes with a distinct lager smell, a whiff of slight citrus and spice.

T - Bready malt with my less favorable aspects of wheat beers, a slightly unpleasant grassiness. Tiny bit of lemon. Spicy floral hops at the end to break it off with very little lingering taste.

M - Nice and spritzy, the carbonation really scrubs your tongue, leaving a pretty clean aftermath.

Overall, a very drinkable mouthfeel and texture, but ranks in the average wheat beer to me. For the style, though, this is a pretty good beer. Definitely for the summer months.

4.26/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer is one of my favorite seasonals. poured out of a mini keg into a snifter. It pours a hazy amber color and you immediately smell citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruit. it is medium bodied and as I drink it right now I am being reminded of a creamsicle. has lots of orange and i get a little bit of a vanilla note.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I finally got to try Oberon, a beer that has a lot of hype in my neck of the woods. The beer left a head that lasted in the glass forever. The beer itself has a nice golden cloudy color. It did leave a bit of lacing in the mug as I drank it. Overall, it's a nice looking beer. It smells like a pilsner/lager with lots of wheat, oats, and barley. Wheat seems to be the main ingredient, I could defiantly taste it from the start. It reminds me of a lager upfront. The back end of the beer was kind of bitter with an overlap of citrus, with a light spice and a small amount of hops. Overall, a very light and smooth taste with wheat standing out as the main ingredient. I agree with the people who say that this could be considered a wheat ale. Overall, this beer reminded me of a high class lager. It's not terrible, but I don't think it necessarily lived up to the hype that people give it. I would drink it again. I enjoyed the summer feeling that the beer gave off, and that's what it's marketed for. So give it a try if you can find it. (Especially if you like lagers like me.) Summer is almost over and it will be gone, so go get a 6-pack.

Three things signify the beginning of Michigan's summer: the end of hockey playoffs, 80 degree weather and the release of Bells Oberon. I know people that go crazy for it but I'm not one of them. I think it was perhaps the first craft beer to really emerge on the Michigan beer scene 10+ years ago and therefore has a historical significance to Michigan beer drinkers. It told us that it was ok to put the Bud Light down and try something new.

With respect for what it is and to its success, it's not my favorite but it's decent. You get a blend of citrus notes and some rich wheat malt on its own but gets a boost when the bartender adds a slice of fruit to it.

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%

Oberon Ale is my favorite summer brew plain & simple. I love weiss type beers in the summer because they are so refreshing. Oberon is unusual and simply damn tasty with a slice of lemon. The appearance is the usual cloudy weiss look but a bit more golden. The aroma is unique with citrus notes and nutty overtones. The taste is solid with a drinkability to last all summer long!! Sit on your deck and sip an Oberon as the sun sets on a weekend evening; almost heaven (IMHO). If you like summer weiss brews, this one will become one of your favorites quickly.

3.42/5  rDev -10.7%

i have let this bottle sit probably for bit to long, so i am guessing it will have a bit of an outcome on my review.

it puored hazzy yellow. the head did not last all that long.

it smelled of light spices and citrus, some lemon maybe.
tasted very malty. the citrus and spice is still there, but the malt is in full effect in the taste. alcohol is not that storng to me.
mouthfeel is carbonated and very thin.
drinkablity is good. it very well could be a good session beer

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into an Allagash glass the beer presents straw- colored, light yellow and cloudy. If poured and served too cold there is a significant amount of yeast floating around. The smell is very subtle but does get more yeasty as the beer warms up a bit. The taste is light and refreshing with a very light and fizzy mouth feel. Overall this is a delightful little hot weather brew that I could drink all day.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.