Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Reviews: 1,762 | Ratings: 6,685
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

A-Cloudy pale orange with a thick fluffy white head. Head reduces to thin film with good lacing.

S-Wheaty citrus, orange, lemon, tangerine. The wheat malt supports this fruit bowl nicely.

T-Nice balance between the citrus flavors and the light wheat malt. Nothing in this beer screams out...it all simply melds together nicely. Hop presence is subtle.

M-Medium-light body. Very smooth with a pleasant tart crispness.

D-A great warm-season drinker. This is one of the quintessential summertime brews for me. Nothing about it screams out but it all seems to go together so well. I always enjoy having my first Oberon of the season...and many more to follow! A sure sign of spring to me! From April to August this is my "Bud".

3.16/5  rDev -17.5%

Got this from a bottle of this year's batch of Oberon and poured into a GI Tulip.

A - A hazy, cloudy deep orange with hints of golden and amber as well. Can see a good amount of carbonation running up through this one and also a nice haze that seems to float through the glass. Poured with a quickly dissipating one thumb head that comes to sit at about a half sitting on top.

S - Tangerine and honey seem to be the biggest hits to me. A sweet orange is what I'd call it. Also, there seems to be a hint of banana that one often finds in the Hefes.

T - Hmm can definitely taste the wheat aspect and a hint of banana and clove. That sweet orange is there but not as much as I would like it to be. Also seems to have a bit of a hop bitterness that comes out of nowhere. Hmm, on the whole, this really doesn't even compare to when I had it on tap. Its good but there is not that big orange taste. Here, I just feel so dominated by the wheat, banana, and the bitterness which seems a bit unbalanced to me.

MF - A big, almost chewy beer that sits in the mouth. Kinda heavy and has a nice bready aspect which goes well with the wheat part. Light carbonation in there despite the amount you see in the glass.

D- Overall, an okay american pale wheat ale. I don't know what it was but really was disappointed especially after having this on tap. Has a bit of a bitter taste that just seems out of place to me. I would maybe get and try this in the mini keg when it comes out but I'd much rather reach for a Gumballhead for a nice, tasty summer ale especially given the common distribution area.

2.94/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance: A good two-finger head forms from a slightly aggressive pour and leaves thick swaths of lacing all over the class as it slowly recedes. The body itself is a hazy yellow with crazy carbonation. I don't really care for the color - seems sort of bland - but on the other hand ... and I know its due to the higher protein content of the wheat malt, and nothing special that Bell's has done ... the lacing makes the beer look really neat.

Smell: Overwhelmingly smells of light, yeasty bread and not much more. Distressingly one dimensional, because the smell of light, yeast bread reminds me of the smell of additives in a lot of nasty American macro-lagers. Unfortunate.

Taste: More of the same. A lot of wheat malt and earthy, musty, dry yeast flavor, balanced by light and spicy hops (definitely Saaz) that don't lend much other than balance. I'm trying, and I'm not really detecting any real citrus flavors or any other flavors that might be typical of a wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Light, with a fine, consistent carbonation profile. Very effervescent. Everything else is fine - no cloying aftertastes.

Drinkability: It's nice to look at ... but after that, the quality of this beer declines somewhat, and I don't think I could have more than one or two of these. It's not inoffensive, just one-dimensional and a bit boring.

A mediocre beer, in my opinion, and a rare misstep by Bell's. I'm pretty sure I'm not grading harsher because Comcast messed up my MLB package, too. Although I'll admit it's not really my style, I have had a few American pale wheat ales that I've liked before, but they tend to be the more complex, subtle ones, full of light, peppery spices and citrus notes. This one has none of the above, unfortunately.

A: Pale cloudy orange body... thick fluffy white head... reduces to a nice film with good lacing..

S: Lots of summer citrus... oranges and lemons.. nice wheat base.

T: Well balanced between the orange/lemon citrus flavors and the soft wheat base...

M: Smooth. crisp finish. refreshing...

D: Overall this is a great drinker... nice and refreshing and a bit different than most wheat beers in that the wheat is muted and oranges are delicate.. today it was in the mid 70s... i just had to have this!

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

12oz bottle courtesy of iconoklaztor, thanks! The color is a very light but cloudy orange. It smells more liek a pale ale than a wheat beer as described on the label. The taste definitely reveals the wheat and makes for a nice ale. This is very drinkable and a perfect summer offering that I am glad to have tried.

3.77/5  rDev -1.6%

A: A nice, hazy blonde pour. A little lacing around the rim, but fairly easygoing on this pour. Fresh tap, but I would have perhaps expected a bit more foaminess than usual from that.

S: A light bubblegum, wheaty aroma. A little bit of a yeasty - but not quite fruity - scent. Nice, easy, and light.

T: Some citrus flavours, a little bit of the bubblegum flavour. A touch of bitterness comes out on the finish. A decent tasting brew, but I'd give it just above average.

M + D: Pretty lively and expressive carbonation. Maybe a little heavier than what I might expect from a lighter style, but still reasonably drinkable. I probably wouldn't actively seek it out, but I imagine I'd accept it if offered, of course.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

This is an extremely refreshing beer to drink. I am not a huge wheat beer guy, but this beer I really enjoyed.

Poured a pale orange color with a two finger head which dwindled away fairly quickly.

Strong smell of citrus; orange, a little lemon.

Taste is extremely refreshing. Not a strong wheat taste. Has a good deal of carbonation to it.

Very citrusy as far as taste is concerned. Hoppy but not bitter.

Very good beer overall.

Perfect for the warmer months.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a pale orange in hue, slightly hazy, with a thin receding head. No lacing.

S: Yeasty bread smells. Notes of the wheat are definitely recognizable on the nose as well.

T: Light tastes of malt and wheat, dry and well balanced, with just the faintest hint of light hops. The finish is clearly malt with that familiar wheat beer linger.

M&D: Solid mouthfeel, quite light overall, with very light carbonation. Drinks smoothly and goes down easily. I'm not a huge wheat beer guy but the flavors in this are quite good and I very much enjoyed it.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz bottle, Batch#8333 poured into my Nugget Nectar pint glass

A: Hazy amber with a thin white head

S: Not much right away but swirling it a bit reveals some lemon and orange along with some wheat

T: Definite orange presence right off the bat along with the wheat. Fairly light with not too much going on here. The finish is dry with a metallic tinge coming through briefly. Good for the style

M: Very pleasant and the drying finish makes me take another sip.

D: I could drink a ton of this over summer.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

I had a very nice night at work and came home to discover my husband had stocked the fridge with Oberon...ain't love grand!
Poured a bottle into a big Duvel tulip. I didn't get much head, but may have been too cautious in my pour. A pretty, warm, hazy orangey color. Some sediment swirling about. Wheaty, citrusy smell. The same wheat and citrus in the taste, as well as a little malty sweetness, followed by a little tangyness after the swallow. Nice and crisp. After a few sips I can pick out more maltiness in the smell. Not too much effervescence in the feel. Light on the tongue. Very drinkable. Nothing too complex, but I think that's how it's supposed to be. Gosh darn it, I like it!

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

A- Pours a nice cloudy orange color. Clearly some nice unflitered pieces floating around in here. A nice white head that left a good amount of lacing.

S- malty, some wheat, and some citrus maybe oranges.

T- Wheat, malt with a little citrus in there also.

M- medium bodied and nice carbonation also

D- Very easy and drinkable brew. Nice crisp and light. Not the most flavorful but overall very enjoyable.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Consumed 03/26/08 at Hopjacks in Pensacola, Florida.

Medium unfiltered yellow beer. Modest head.

Aroma of wheat. No cloves, bananas, etc... present.

Unremarkable mouthfeel up front. Flavor is typical American wheat ale: a little sweet, a little metallic and almost all wheat. Some subtle lemon notes appear and are welcome. It might be my imagination, but I thought I caught a hint of a clove flavor in there. Some parching as beer sits in the mouth a moment.

Not a favorite style of mine, but a very drinkable example.

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz bottle, batch 8333

A: Murky light golden under a medium sized, foamy white head. A little lace, decent retention.

S: Malt character is a little thin in the nose. Mostly some grassy hops. A bit of citrus. Not bad, but could be a little better.

T: A little yeasty, wheat stands out here, sweet, bit of hops mixed in. Pretty good.

M/D: Medium body, good carbonation. Drinkability is really good on this one. Could easily drink this all day long during a hot summer afternoon.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured with good head and produced good lasting lacing throughout. There were numerous obvious particles in my beer and it poured a cloudy orange. The smell was Malt, Malt, Malt. Nothing too complex which at first worried me about the upcoming taste.

However the taste was a pleasant surprise, again nothing complex but very refreshing. For a wheat beer it was very drinkable and I could put back a few, a great summer beer.

3.39/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a very nice hazy orange! Its a beautiful beer

Not much to note on the smell but the beautiful beer makes up for it.

The taste is refreshing and crisp. Not to in the way of taste or complexity.

Overall, this is a refreshing beer and a great way to start spring!

3.39/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a very bright golden color with nice white clingy head. This is a very attractive beer. It glows in the glass.

Smell is a bit bland, not a whole lot sticks out. Not a whole lot to the taste either. It's just a nice refreshing beer. You're not going to be overwhelming or challenged by anything here, but this would be a good beer for a warm summer day. Not a lawnmower beer but a good BBQ beer.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Pretty good little summer beer here. Its very light and crisp and a little citrusy. I'm not a huge wheat fan so this didn't overwhelm me but it was one of the better ones that I've had. It wold be rather tasty on a hot ass summer day. It went well with the cheese and cracker I was eating.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

poured into standard pub glass, 50F.

cloudy yellow, straw color with 1 inch head that is gone in a hurry. Suspended particles throughout. Moderate carbonation.

This stuff is pretty good. Crisp and refreshing, like a summer brew should be. Semi sweet, fruity aftertaste that does not linger long. I also taste the faintest of orange flavor.

the lightness and crispness makes this beer perfect for those summertime activities where you want something refreshing that will not slow you down by being too heavy.

Drinkability is good, too. I can see enjoying several of these as I work the grill on a warm night in July.

I think this would be a beer that I would give to someone who has never had a craft beer before. It's leagues better than a BMC product, but because of its lightness it won't send em running back to mama.

3.76/5  rDev -1.8%

From a 12 oz bottle with no freshness date, into a pint glass, this one's a hazed orange color with no sediment in the pour, though quite a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Thin pale cap fades quickly yet leaves spotty, clingy lace along the sides of the glass all the way down. Not much on the nose, just a whiff of bready wheat and yeast. Tastes of sweet malt and mild citrusy hops, with a hint of orange juice. Mild all around. Mouth is of middle-low viscosity, smooth, with moderate carbonation keeping things crisp but not overly lively. Drinkability is good; it's definitely a refreshing spring/summer quencher.

Overall: A solid American wheat beer with enough citrus character that "no orange slice is required." Worth a try.

3.32/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: pale straw, slight haze, medium layer of white froth, OK head retention

Aroma: spicy pumpernickel bread and hints of orange

Flavor: medium sweet malt balance up front that only slightly dries out from a light wheat acidity; hints of caramel, herbally hops, and a biscuity note; finishes semisweet with a honeyish aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium body, light carbonation, soft & chewy texture

Other comments: Not as good as when I tried it on tap about 4 years ago.

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just got a fresh bottle from the year's new batch. Everything about it was great except it didn't smell as strongly as I remember it.

Poured a medium, hazy copper color. Medium body with a strong flavor, but not overly so. Definitely a very drinkable beer. Spring has arrived!

3.51/5  rDev -8.4%

Just had the 2008 release at Brannigan Brothers in Lansing. They tapped it at midnight. Tasted slightly different than last year.

It poured with a thick white head, good retention, and lots of lacing. It was a cloudy pale orange color. I am happy to see that it is cloudy this year. I've seen it clear and it doesn't taste as good

There was a slight citrus aroma in the smell. Not as strong as in prior years.

Great taste, although a little watery. Also less citrusy than before. There is a noticeable hop finish this year too - it's crisp. Don't quite know why that is.

Good mouthfeel. You feel the hoppy finish in the back of your mouth and in your throat.

Excellent drinkability. I would've stayed to have more but I only brought a $5 with me - got me two pints for opening night.

A great beer! Maybe it's just an early batch that needs to mature a little but the hop flavor is new and I haven't decided if I like it yet. I love my hops, but with Oberon it's different.

You can't go wrong, with an Oberon.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled coded 7949 and per Bell's Website it was bottled last May, making this about 10 months old.

Pours a cloudy light apple juice color, white head froths up and then fades pretty quickly. The smell is only faintly wheat with a lot of banana nut that comes out with vigorous swirling to release the aroma. The taste was really light and refreshing, even for something that's probably a little past it's prime. The taste had some hops still but only very light. Overall I can't wait to get a real fresh bottle b/c I am hoping there is potential here.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured a bright golden color with lots of haziness from the wheat, carbonation bubbles visible. Some head, little lacing. Smells of citrus peel, lots of it. Tastes even more of citrus, lemon dominates. A very good feel, some heaviness that sets on your tongue. Definitely a summer brew, it's so citrusy it almost loses you for a moment on that it's a beer. A very good example of this style

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle thanks to DrBayern - Pours a gorgeous cloudy sunset orange in a weizen glass, with a nice white holding head. Smell is nice and citrusy, with predominantly orange scents, along with light yeasty and hearty wheatiness. Taste is nice, rich and quite full bodied for a wheat. Wheaty thick mouthfeel, but still nice and bubbly and refreshing. Very nice and flavorful for the style.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.