Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale
3.82/5
Very Good
Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Ratings: 6,879 |  Reviews: 1,815
3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

I had a draw of this while in Wisconsin, This prompted me to by a six pack. The tap beer was GOOD! Good head nice taste. I bought a six pack of it to bring home. I opened the beer. No head. The nose was still OK. Some fruit, yeast and malt. The taste still had some bite. But overall it was just flat tasting compared to the keg stuff. The only thing that saved the review is that this is good tasting beer. Good malt character and some bite. I will try this again. It must be the batch.

4.07/5  rDev +6.5%

I poured one of these for me, and one for a friend. Hers was a lovely, smooth, cloudy caramel color, and mine poured lots of yeasty, chunky sediment. The head on both was thin and fine, with delicate lacing down the sides.

The beer smelled strongly of apricots and slightly yeasty. The fruity smell was more tart than sweet, and reminded me of Magic Hat's #9. There was no sweetness or tartness to the taste. It was very crisp and clean, a little yeasty, and a very light mouthfeel. This is decent summer ale, light, no heavy tastes, although the flavor is slightly lacking. It's extremely drinkable, however. I had two, and that's a lot for me in one setting (short attention span).

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Looks like a Belgian Wit, deep honey colored with thin white head., wnd little retention. Aroma is a bit yeasty with heavy wheat malt presence. Very crisp on the palate which reminds me of a belgian style. Flavor is mediocre. A somewhat generic bland flavor to it that reminds me of Blue Moon's white. No great flavors really jumping out at you. Finishes slightly bitter, and a little stale.

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

OG=1.057, 6.0% ABV.

Brewed with wheat malt and Saaz hops.

One of my favorite things to look forward to in the summer, Bell's Oberon is my quintessential summer beer. Poured with the yeast, the lovely brew is milky peach with occasional flocculant clumps of white yeast floating down the side of my goblet. The head is decent sized, but quickly thinning, white in color atop fine bubbles. The retention and lacing are "just" good, which prevents it from getting an exceptional rating for appearance. Carbonation is less than most wits, in the mild to moderate range. Aroma is tantalizing: husky, sweet pale malts, a very fruity ferment with notes of peach, red apples and pears, filling it out is wet, yeasty bread dough and barely detectable alcohol. Hops are barely discernable, if at all. Mouthfeel is unbelievably smooth and creamy for a bottled beer..it covers the tongue and leaves a pleasant lingering sweetness with a wet finish akin to an authentic English Mild. Taste begins with bready malts, has just a smidge of hops balancing out the fruitiness, doughy yeast fills the mouth, ending in a silky smooth, very mild bitterness.

Addenum: I have been drinking this beer for at least 10 years (back when it was called Solsun) and my only beef is that it is the most inconsistent of Bell's brews, even varying between bottles of the same 6-pack. I have tried this about 10 tens this year (2005) and all 10 times it has sucked. If I were to go by this years experience, I would be hard pressed to give it a 2.5. Since the move to Comstock, this is now a yeasty pungent swill. Somebody has fucked up big time. The rating above is based upon my prior tastings, and I can't recommend it any further.

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Originally sampled on 2 October 2002. This beer pours a cloudy yellow color. The flavor has a nice bite on the palate. It very much reminds me of a white beer. I think that this is a pretty good American wheat. Not one of Bell's best, but certainly very good.

3.04/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured a large envigorating white creamy head with fine bubbles. The aroma appeared to be citrusy. The lacing was sparse on the sides of my glass. It was bitter tasting and it left a lingering aftertaste. I was expecting a better brew than what this one turned out to be.

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

I'm not sure what I have here. Certainly a wheat, lightly tart and clean, but not at all a phenolic German, a fruity Belgian or an insipid American. Surpising caramel malt notes well balanced with the wheat flavors. Not like any wheat I've had before. Not spectacular, but interesting and ejoyable.

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a fluffy white head. A lot of particles are visibly suspended in the body. Aroma consists of wheat, citrus, baking pizza dough, some sweetness and just a hint of banana. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, starting off smooth then turning crisp. Pleasant wheat flavor with a hoppy bitterness in the middle. A citrus finish rounds things out and has a lingering grainy quality to it. A very refreshing summer ale.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

An excellent American wheat beer. This pours a nice peach-y colour with an ample, creamy head. The aromas are of wheat, yeast, and spice. The taste? A combination of the afforementioned three things. The mouthfeel, not too thick and never too thin. The drinkability? Endless. One of the best American wheat beers.

Cheers to KennyD for the sample!
-F

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Clear bright golden color with moderate lace and head. Aroma was malty with somewhat pungent yeast smell. No aroma of hops at all. Taste was smooth and malty, with a bread doe flavor, and a dry mouthfeel. No apparent esters were noticeable that are typically found in wheat beers, which was disappointing. Nice beer, but a little dry and plain.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer is a king among summer wheat beers. Take a while to stare down the artsy sun on the label, and it will put you in the mood for an Oberon. It's a Saturday afternoon type of beer - a great lead in to a long night. Fruity, lemonish and light. The perfect summer beer. If this beer were an artist it would be Van Gogh.

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

A golden orange, cloudy beer with a thin head. I detect the wheat presence in the aroma along with tangerines and hints of lemon. The wheat malt provides a nice texture, smooth, crisp flavor. An array of fruity flavors, but mild and very refreshing. A mild hop presence. Very drinkable, as noted on the bottle, a great summer brew.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours almost no head. Fizzy. VERY cloudy. Looks almost solid. Apricot/Peach/yellowish color. Nice, strong wheat aroma, some cloves. Strong presence on the tongue. Oddly bitter aftertaste. Not as crisp and refreshing as most wheats. Very earthy. I could have a few in a sitting, though. Nice beer.

4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

This is an enjoyable wheat beer although it lacks the strong banana and cloves smell and taste I love in Hefe's...The nose on this is yeasty with a strong whiff of sweet pinneaples..body is light...low carbonation...Nice sweetness...Extremely thirst quenching...a great, easy drinking summer beer with a nice taste but lacking in special qualities I like in my Hefe's..seems ot be a mix of a Whit and an American Wheat and a great hybrid at that...If you want a traditional Bavarian Hefe this isn't it...if you want a tasty easy drinking summer wheat beer then this is for you

4.62/5  rDev +20.9%

Sampled in a 12 oz bottle.

Poured a cloudy honey color witha a faint head that remained throughout and provided good lacing.

The aromas from Oberon where honey, orange peel, banana bread, cinamon, wheat, and floral hints.

Tastes of honey, citrus, butterscotch, and orange cream. Medium body, smooth, with a faint bitter finishes that goes down very smoothly.

A slightly unique wheat beer, but fantastic and one of my new overall favorite beers.

3.78/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Pours a pale gold with only a touch of cloudiness, less than expected actually. It's foamy white head starts off small and stays that way, leaving a fair amount of lace on the glass.

Smell: Fresh smelling aroma of wheat, spicy Saaz hops, chalky yeast, and lemony citrus.

Taste: Spicy and tart with a nice balance between the tart wheat, citrus notes, and the bready, chalky yeast. Has a relaxed and very unassertive flavor profile. Finishes with a smooth spiciness. Very refreshing!

Mouthfeel: It's creamy and rich from the start, which turns a bit crisp on the finish. Medium in body from the suspended yeast.

Drinkability: Good for what it is. I'm not a fan of the American wheat style because I think, for the most part, it's a boring, bland style of beer. However, this one is pretty good, and I could see myself drinking a few of these when the weather turns hot and sticky during the summer.

4.6/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

To me this beer smells, tastes, is summer. Served on the patio of nice little bar in Dublin, OH. The waitress brought the draft served with a orange slice on the rim of the glass. I was apprehensive about the orange at first, so I ordered another one without the orange slice in order to do a side-by-side comparison. I was shocked, the orange sliced beer was actually pretty damn good.
It pours a nice bronze-orange color with a thin white head. The body is a little cloudy, but hey it should be. The taste was fruity, citrus, and breadlike. A remarkably smooth drinking beer that you won't even realize that you drank ten or twelve of them till you get your tab. I recommend this be consumed on a patio in the sun, then well into the night.....

Bright orange-yellowish color with small suspended yeast particles floating around, has a small white head that doesn't last, light citrus aroma, light bready, malty flavors it leaves a flowery aftertaste.It has a very creamy and full mouthfeel, not as spicy and fruity as I remember, still very enjoyable and refreshing.

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer says Summer to me. Yes, it does speak, and it says- shhhhh don't say anything, listen to me bubble. Look at my cloudy golden, orange color with slight white head. Smell me - I'm all about spice and everything nice, like clove and vanilla,earthy hop, and a hint of sweet malt to tempt you. Come, taste me, I'm quite yummy if I do say so myself. My aroma follows into the flavor- spicy and yeasty, clove and vanilla, citrusy hop, orange rind finish. My medium body is perfect for holding these flavors, maybe a touch heavier than needed but still refreshing as a summer quencher. I look to my glass to reply but, alas, she is gone........

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks good.

Too bad that's kind of where it ends.

Oberon is, in my opinion, one of Michigan's most over-rated beers. It's by no means a bad beer, but I just don't think it deserves the attention it receives.

Pours more or less like any other wheat beer -- a little cloudiness in its orange-gold color with a big white head. Mild citrus aromas but fairly undistinguished and simple. Taste is smooth, malty, fruity, and a little buttery up front; but it moves to a crisp hop bitterness at the back. To me, the flavors just don't match up. It's jarring more than balanced. It's OK, but it's certainly not great.

3.09/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a foggy darker yellow color with a medium white head. Aroma of yeast and light hops. Light bodied with flavors of hops and fruit but not in big doses. Finish is crisp and progressively bitter throughout the glass. I found this to be a little mundane but it was not too bad.

3.76/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a very orange color with a medium white head and moderate lacing on the glass. The aroma is filled with hints of citrus and other fruit along with wheaty characteristics. The taste was surprisingly low in wheat and very smooth. This is one of the first Bell's beers that I've really enjoyed drinking and I would recommend this to most people.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Cloudy honey-yellow/orangey hue, the white head peaked at a finger’s worth before quickly fading to a soapy residue, minimal lace. The nose is a nice combination of toasty wheat, hints of tart lemon with a whisper of floral/earthy hops… inviting, somewhat weak though. Tasty palate, excellently constructed… mildly tart, yeast is noticeable, faintly citric… fruity… light doughiness. Oberon has lots of subtle (and tasty) qualities about it. Medium-light body, ideal… perfectly carbonated… silky smooth. Highly drinkable and now I see why this ale is a summertime sensation. I’d recommend trying one of these; it is a unique blend between a Hefeweizen, American Wheat, and a Wit.

Thanks feloniousmonk!

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer was a slightly cloudy, light yellow or light gold color with a smallish white head foam that lasted for quite a while and laced well. The nose was quite nice and included malt, some breadiness, and a bit of a fruit sense. There was a strong sense of tartness and a bit of fruit and grain in the taste with just a hint of floral hops. The overall sense of this beer is of a relatively full body and a pleasant lingering taste that finishes a bit sweet and sour. Complex.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

On Tap: Thanks to FM, Color poured a super pale, hazy light yellow, and had a very tight leveled out type of lacing just above the white head. Smells of zesty lemon and some spice, very clean and crispy. Taste is much like Belgian witbeir, very spritzy, lemon is sharply toned with a spicyness mixed in that blended well. It's mostly lemony then anything, imagine a Sprite or 7up with three times the lemon and add some wheat and yeast and wham-o, you've got this Oberon. I've had it in the bottle before, but on tap is so much more yeasty fresh then from the bottle. Super drinkable and highly recommended for quenching thirst on warm to hot days in summer.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.82 out of 5 with 6,879 ratings