Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer. Made with only 4 ingredients, and without the use of any spices or fruit, Oberon is the color and scent of sunny afternoon.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Ratings: 7,017 |  Reviews: 1,849
3.42/5  rDev -10.5%

i have let this bottle sit probably for bit to long, so i am guessing it will have a bit of an outcome on my review.

it puored hazzy yellow. the head did not last all that long.

it smelled of light spices and citrus, some lemon maybe.
tasted very malty. the citrus and spice is still there, but the malt is in full effect in the taste. alcohol is not that storng to me.
mouthfeel is carbonated and very thin.
drinkablity is good. it very well could be a good session beer

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

Thanks to my brother for bringing me this one.

Pale yellow but not BMC pale. Weak head, surprisingly. No sediment and not hazy. Mild floral hop aroma. On the tongue this beer is a bit flat; tries to show some wheatiness. Minimal hop bitterness. Not sure if this brew has any life. Quite bland. Maybe an odd estery note towards the end. Not very crisp. So very thin.

Cool label, boring beer.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

*Poured from a 5L keg
A: Hazy golden color with a thick head that quickly turns into a ring around the glass. Moderate lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Not a very potent smell... hints of lemon or other citrus, very light smell.

T: Wheat, citrus, faint malts, almost non-existent hops... overall a very light citrus taste that would be great for a hot summer day.

M: Very light body, quickly glides over the tongue, moderate carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, this is a great beer. Would definitely be a nice one to have around during the summer months.

I would recommend this beer to anyone looking for a very light and crisp beer. Very clean taste but still delivers. Subtle reminder of Gose, good stuff. Will definitely have to try more of Bell's.

2.92/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance is cloudy, golden, and with a decent head that quickly fizzles away to nothing. I think I must have had an old bottle, because all the delicious things other posters smell in the nose aren't in my glass. Overly sweet and skunky nose. Taste is citrus to start, nice earthy malt to finish. Unfortunately, as it warmed, the taste shifted to match the nose. Wishing I had this on tap, at the beginning of summer... I think the drinkability would be much higher. Currently, I'm not sure I want to finish the one I have.

4.07/5  rDev +6.5%

Batch 6913.

Pale, somewhat hazy, golden yellow. Head is fizzy but lasts surprisingly well. Aroma is orange peel & light malted wheat. Very clean and smooth taste of lemons, oranges, and maybe a hint of spices as well..goes well with the unfiltered yeast texture. Light body with a nice 6% alcohol kick to it.

This beer, in some ways, surprised me. I wasn't expecting too much from a summer wheat such as this, but it was a nice treat. Unfortunately, I only had one of these..I really wanted to grab another as soon as it was gone. A six-pack would definitely be worth a buy to enjoy in the summer.

3.86/5  rDev +1%

This brew pours a cloudy light orange color with a huge fluffy white head. Unlike other american interpretations, this one actually looks like a hefeweizen. The aroma has the classic hefe attributes, but is rather fiant. Bananas and cloves are present, but not strong. The taste is good for an American Pale Wheat; a little smaller than a hefe. Very fruity during the sip, and more so in the aftertaste. Quite nice. The mouthfeel is about the same as most hefes, and thicker than most American interpretations. Overall, this is yet another wonderful beer from Bell's.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

12oz, batch# 6973 (7-18-05) poured into a pint glass.

Hazy orange with a tall white head that lives a long life and leaves globs of lace as it goes down.

Malted wheat, lemon peel, a little spice (coriander?), and a hint of floral hops. Nice, but it needs a pinch of more hops.

The malted wheat is upfront in the taste as well. The citrus and spice are muted, but the hops are a bit bolder and lead into a dry finish. The mouth could use some help, its a bit thin. Good session beer.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

great summer beer when you're thirsty... you've got to pour it into a glass if coming from a bottle... on draft is the best way, but a good pour from a bottle is a close substitute. seems that is has changed over the past few years and not for the better. not sure if they are messing with the recipe or if they are making so much of it now that quality is suffering... also can have a good one on some days and not so good at a different place... quality is very sporatic

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: A hazy Orange, likely caused by the Polyphenoles in the Saaz Hops used to brew this fine summer beer. Nice off white head. Loaded with yeast.

Smell: Fruit, Sweet oranges, lemon grass, coriander, a regular potpourri of dried flowers

Taste: hard candies and sweet breads, hazelnuts soaked in orange juice and laced with edible flowers, Christmas dried oranges, maybe cloves too.

Almost no wheat in either the smell or taste. This beer is all fruit and flowers.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth with just enough carbonation to make your tongue tingle without having a bite.

Drinkability: High, very high. Easy on the stomach, mind, and palate.

Notes: Oberon is significantly more creamy and more aromatic on tap than in the bottle. Also, it is better in the spring/early summer than in the fall/late summer. In spring it is crisper and the aromas are more flowery whereas the beer begins to smell more of rotten oranges by September and loses something in its body. The mouthfeel, smell, and drinkability all suffer.

Or… I just get sick of it by fall.

---Update---

It's now October 12th and last night I had what will be my last pint of Oberon for the season. It tasted, looked, and felt like Miller Lite with a few drops of Blue Moon in it. This is definitely not a beer that ages well. Drink it young and early!

3.63/5  rDev -5%

Batch 7016
I poured, then swirled, thenpoured again and got all of the lovely yeast this brew has to offer, Left with a pint of creamy wheat color with one finger of creamy white head. Not just hazy, no light due to my pour. Bubbles? I don't know! I can't see into this haze. Smells yeasty and sweet.

Tangy and breadlike wheaty malt flavors. Perhaps a little basic, but still a good refreshing summer brew. I've heard people talk about how this beer changes over a summer, and I do think I liked this earlier in the summer.

Light body with biting carbonation is refreshing. Very quaffable, but that can be a problem as this beer has snuck up on me when I've had it on tap. Thank god that bar is 3 blocks from home!

4.14/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is a beautiful, pale, pale orange. It would be a very nice-looking beer if there was any TRACE of head. But alas... The nose is fairly complex--there is a hint of orange in the delicate hops. Those are some awesome hops to taste, by the way! Medium-bodied with a syrupy aftertexture. A delicious beer!!!

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%

For this style, it is an okay effort. Hop Sun and Gumballhead are much better but this is a decent honorable mention. I can almost guarantee w/o trying it that this beer is much better on-tap vs. bottle. Apricot murk flat carbonation, nice maltiness, hoppiness is pretty well balanced but the flatness is what kills this beer. Still quite decent though.

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not terrible I suppose. Hazy Orange with no head. Where is the carbonation? I've had it from several places with the same problem. Aroma is too subdued for my tastes. Some nice things there though, with citrus and a wheaty grain taste dominating. Not much spice or banana. Taste doesn't have as much of a zing to it, tastes a little muddled to me. About the same flavors as detected in the smell. A little bit of bitterness on the finish is nice. Body is a bit heavy without the carbonation to hold it up in the mouth though.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Pint glass poured at Come Back Inn in Madison, WI. Hazy orange with half an inch of white foam. The aroma is a little weak: some lemon and apricot, not much wheat. Tastes like a fruity pale ale. Not much wheat flavor. Crisp lemon. Mouthfeel is thin. Sure this beer is quite quaffable, but other than that it is not impressive. A decent summer beer, but I don't get the cult following.

4.41/5  rDev +15.4%

Great summer brew, one of my favorites. I've had it on tap many times in years past, most recently last month, but this review is for a 12 oz bottle I brought from a trip to MI.

Poured into a Ommegang chalice. Nice white head, about 1/2", didn't last long or leave any lacing. Visible yeast chunks in the bottom, I love it!

Good smell, not strong, lemons, malt.

Great taste, kind of like a Samuel Adams Summer Ale, but much more so. Great citrus and malt flavor.

Very, very drinkable. After a day swimming and skiing on a lake, this stuff can go down extremely fast. Too bad I can't find it in MA. I also heard that this was supposed to be released in 5L kegs this summer, but never materialized.

4.45/5  rDev +16.5%

I have not had a beer that I so look forward to drinking it again in a long time. It poured maze with lots haze in color. Very cloudy with floaters, but thats ok with me. citrus/orange taste. I smell a little wheat. Goes down easy. One of the best summer drinks in my book!

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

I came across this beer on tap at Waldo Pizza. I was server to me in a standard American pint glass. Hazy yellow with a small white cap. Citrus aroma. I’d swear there was Cascades in there. Wheaty and citus/spice with a nice touch of bitterness. A real thirst quencher.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Oberon poured a nice golden/hazy glass with a 1/4 inch white head. An average looking beer.

It smelled sweetly of orange and cinnamon. Somewhat lemony and a touch of malt.

Taste was strawberry and apricot. Not extremely impressive, but nothing horrible. It got a tad metallic at the half point.

This was a decent beer. Have had much better from Bell's.

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

One of my favorite beers of the summer comes from one of my new top ten breweries in America (now I need to update my post). So good that I had to fly some of this home with me from Traverse City Michigan. Just a great wheat ale that I could not get enough of -- could be a dangerous session beer if I had access to this one. All great qualities, especially how easy to drink and its light citrus and unfiltered goodness.

4.69/5  rDev +22.8%

Paid $1.29 for a 12 oz. bottle. Looks like a wheat beer in the glass. Smells of sweet oranges, blossomy, light fresh malts, very fragrant and quite exceptional. taste is just like it smells with a touch of honey but just barely. Plays around on the tongue a bit with lots of subtle and faint flavors.

One of the most drinkable beers I've ever tasted. This is my favorite beer from Bell's next to their Expedition Stout.

3.69/5  rDev -3.4%

very light ginger-aley straw colored appearance with light orange highlights. clear. very bubbly like champagne with little to no head. mild aroma of wheat and some sweet orange along with simple syrup. taste is refreshing, buttery wheat with a crisp lightly bitter finish. grassy. lacks any real flavor depth. slightly corny. goes down mad easy. good summer quencher but in this category there are many better beers. ok for what it is. more taste as it warms, but who really wants this at room temp?

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a clouded straw color with a modest head that leaves nice lacing. Heavy chunks of yeast sink to the bottom right away. Spicy, citrusy aroma. Nice wheat flavor with a bit of spice and a bit of lemony citrus. Mildly bitter hop bite. Seems to be most closely related to the witbier style, though with a bit of hops to give it an American character. Highly drinkable, maybe my favorite summer seasonal.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

most bell's beers in my opinion seem to be too fat and having too much hops, too much malt, or just too much of something. this beer on the other hand is very tasteful and balanced. citrus aroma, hops and malt are all well represented for this style of beer. the thing holding this beer back in my opinion is the large amount of yeast at the bottom of bottle which takes away from it's drinkability if one is always wondering "if i drink one more will i have the runs and a hangover from hell tomorrow?" but it is what it is and changing that might take away from the taste so i'll accept it.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

This a great ale. Good for the pallate and easy on the stomach. Very nice. I get the impression this is a Belgian style because of the stickiness and malt character. Nice to see the Midwest represent a little bit. I'll be going back for more of this for sure.

4.38/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the first beer that I tried after turning 21 recently. The first bottle that I had I did not like but I gave it another chance and now love it!!! I think it is great to have on a hot summer’s day. It has a very unique taste with a hint of wheat in my opinion. Keep up the great work Larry Bell!!!! I would recommend this to anybody that is looking for something on a hot summer’s day.

Updated taste information: After having another glass of oberon I can really pick out a slight bitterness/citrus flavor at first which then finishes out with a ending wheat taste. It has a smooth mouthfeel also.

Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store