Bell's Oberon Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Oberon AleBell's Oberon Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Availability: Summer

Bell's Oberon is a wheat ale fermented with Bell's signature house ale yeast, mixing a spicy hop character with mildly fruity aromas. The addition of wheat malt lends a smooth mouthfeel, making it a classic summer beer.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-17-2002

Reviews: 1,745 | Ratings: 6,611
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

From batch # 7850, packaged March 7th, 2007. Fresh.

Pours a pale, cloudy, golden color with a thin and filmy white head which leaves a moderate amount of lacing behind. Smells of citrus; lemons and oranges, bready yeast, moderately sweet malt notes and spicy hops. Tastes zesty and sweet, yeasty; sweet malts tones and soft graininess up front balanced by a nice spicy hop presence with the bready yeast notes throughout. Mouthfeel is smooth and robust, perfect levels of carbonation exist making this easy to consume in massive quantities.

Oberon is a true summer beer; light, refreshing, full of crisp flavors and it hits the spot every time. If other great beers such as Two Hearted Ale didn't exist, I would almost ask "Why drink anything else?".

4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

A: Dark wheat/gold appearance. Cloudy. Two+ fingers of white head that stick around, and eventually leaves nice lacing.

S: Yeast, hops and citrus at first, then some subdued wheat tones come in.

T: Wheat is big here, with some spicy hops here and there. Orange citrus mixed in there as well. Seemed different with each sip. Nothing is overpowering, though - a mild taste. It is still a pale wheat.

M: Creamy, medium bodied mouthfeel. Decent carbonation leads to a smooth finish.

O: Really enjoyed this on tap, and will have to buy a six pack.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy straw color, sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Smells of faint strawberries and lemon zest. Taste follows the nose, at the very end you get a bit of the wheat. Nice refreshing beer. 5.8% ABV

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Acquired via trade from Frozensoul327, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a weizen glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color with a large off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of citrus (orange & lemon) along with a a little wheat and decent burst of hops.

T: The taste is very fruity with flavors of lemon and orange along with a mild wheat background. There’s a mild flavor of hops bitterness that comes in next and gets stronger as you continue to drink the beer. The malt character is mild. The after-taste is sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good representation of style even if it’s close to being an IPA with less hops. This is an excellent beer that I could drink for long, long time.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured this out of a 12oz bottle. Right off the bat, this beer has a nice orange/amber color with lots of wheat sediment at the bottom of the glass. Truly a great looking beer.

Smell was very high in wheat and a little bit of oranges. Definitely one of those beers to prepare for, as it will be a nice treat.

Taste was awesome. It was very full, wheaty and had a great smooth, almosty buttery aftertaste. This stuff is certainly on my "get" list whenever I hit up the liquor store again!

Mouthfeel was very pleasant and satisfying. No dead spots, no wasted fluidity, just delicious and refreshing wheat ale going down the hatch on a hot summer day!

I had to stop myself from drinking the whole six pack as soon as I got it! Man this stuff is addicting as soon as you open it! Go get it if you haven't tried it, it's that good.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours out a hazy, golden color. There's about two and a half fingers of fizzy, white head. Some floating particles also make an appearance. Lacing was somewhat lacking, but overall the appearance was pleasing. Smell wasn't overly exciting. Definitely grainy, with a citrusy zest to it. The taste was much the same. A hint of citrus complements the wheat well in my opinion. The beer was very smooth and pretty fizzy. I could probably drink these all day if I had the money. I would defintely recommend this beer.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Batch 8371, purchased at a gas station on the way home from East Lansing. $8.99 suddenly became $11+ after tax and deposit, yikes.

Massively hazy with particles in suspension, when I shake the glass they wiggle in a jelly sort of way. Toasted marshmallow orange. Head is surprisingly bright white, fairly small but covers all the sensitive areas. Poor retention but good sheeting on the glass.

Smell is potent, orange and wheat. A touch of some peppery herb, maybe coriander.

Taste is also big. Fairly dry, mostly wheat with moderate bittering hops and minor citrus. Pepper is still there. All aspects of the taste profile are strong -- definitely not watered down.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy with playful carbonation. Finish is a pleasant wheat note.

This is drinkable to the point where I want to burn all of the papers I should be grading and go fishing with the rest of the six pack. Too often "summer" beers are watered down with low ABVs -- this is a "big" APWA in the taste department.

Pricey, but worth every penny. Oberon signals that summer is here.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

This is an extremely refreshing beer to drink. I am not a huge wheat beer guy, but this beer I really enjoyed.

Poured a pale orange color with a two finger head which dwindled away fairly quickly.

Strong smell of citrus; orange, a little lemon.

Taste is extremely refreshing. Not a strong wheat taste. Has a good deal of carbonation to it.

Very citrusy as far as taste is concerned. Hoppy but not bitter.

Very good beer overall.

Perfect for the warmer months.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

I'd heard about this beer and I was looking forward to trying it when I went out to Michigan on business. I was not disappointed and I am not a huge fan of wheat beers, but this one was great.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. The beer was a cloudy yellow orange color. The aroma was full of pear, apple, and pale malt aromas.

The first thing I noticed in the flavor was the buttery character to it. Very unique and good. The malt is very bready and has the distinct wheaty taste. There are also some light notes of citrus, particularly orange.

The beer is very soft and comforable on the palate and is a good all-around beer. I could drink this beer all day if I could get a hold of it again.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

2004: Ah, spring has arrived.
This year's version of Oberon is a bit more cloudy that last year. It pours out to a wonderful, pastel, bright yellow in the glass with a nice head. The aroma is still that of wheat and yeast. This year's version is less hoppy than previous years and more on the fruity side. This, in my opinion, makes this beer a wonderful summer treat. I'll take Oberon and its citrus/wheat taste over a traditional banana/clove hefe' any day. Yes, I am a homer on this one. It still screams summer to me. Its not complex, nor should it be. Satisfying and delicious? Yes.

2003:Oberon still rocks. This year's version is quite different from year's past. It pours out to a pastel-golden color in the glass. Cloudy, but not as "orange" in color as in year's past. The signature Bell's yeast taste has been subdued and this IMO, is a good thing. The taste is more straightforward in the style of a hefe/wheat without the ultra-agressive hop presence of year's past. This may be the most refreshing version of Oberon ever. Yum. I'm going to get one right now....

2002: Somewhat more carbonation this year. Lighter in citrus taste as well. Pours to a cloudy, golden color with white lacing on the glass. Still an excellent summer thirst quencher. This wheat beer is in a class of its own. There is no other wheat beer that tastes like it.

2001: A fantastic summer beer. Unfiltered, somewhat yeasty, with a light citrus taste. This is what a summer beer is all about. A treat during the warm months.

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Gold, plenty of yeast particles in suspension.

Smell: Wheat, slight citrus.

Taste: Starts with a little wheat, then moves to orange and spice flavors.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy but not too light.

Drinkability: Excellent, these can go one after another on a summer day.

One of my favorites for the summer season, light enough to have several but with enough interesting flavors to keep me coming back. Highly recommended!

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%

I have not had a beer that I so look forward to drinking it again in a long time. It poured maze with lots haze in color. Very cloudy with floaters, but thats ok with me. citrus/orange taste. I smell a little wheat. Goes down easy. One of the best summer drinks in my book!

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I did not have high expectations for this beer. Found it while on vacay in NC. It really blew me away for what it is... a drinkable summer wheat ale. Great pool beer. It may be weighted a bit too high given my expectations, but I call them how I see them. Will try again under different circumstances.

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Amber in color, hazy as you would expect from the style. One finger white head, little retention - surprisingly so, actually, since wheat beers are usually quite foamy. Not much lacing.

Smell: White bread, orange blossom honey, and just a hint of banana. Complex and very nice.

Taste: Very refreshing and balanced. Citrus (orange) hops, a little spice (clove?) and bready malt. Slightly buttery in the middle, finishes clean and dry. Excellent.

Mouthfeel: More spritzy than you would guess from looking at it, somewhat creamy. Body is somewhere between light and medium. Very crisp.

Drinkability: Refreshing while still complex, and well-balanced, this is an exceptional summer beer. Recommended.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

A recent thread posted in the forums mentioned those beers that are hugely popular and have a cult following, but for some reason you've never had! Well, that reminded me that I picked up some Oberon while in Chicago for Thanksgiving, and it's high time I tried this old standby!

A - Bright, and I mean bright vivid orange which matches the color of the label background hue. This looks like vibrant Sunny D with a nice haze and a two finger white head that sets like cement and lasts just about as long! The brew reminds me of 100& apricot juice or the bright orange color of mandarin oranges. The head shows ridiculous retention, and lots of foamy lace is left on the glass.

S - Sweet fresh orange juice with sugar mixed in, lots of yeast, malty caramel, and brown sugar notes which are unexpected given the style, but are more than welcome since they add a nice warmth to what I thought would be a twangy-wheaty nose. Seems a bit under-assertive though, could be kicked up a notch IMO.

T - Sweet orange juice, brown sugar, chewy caramel squares, nutmeg, and a ton (at least for the style) of hops! This is WAY more hoppy than expected, and I am definitely not complaining about this. This is outstandingly fresh, fruity, tropical, and breezy. The hops are about to the level of your average pale ale, and taste mainly fruity with a small hint of pine. Glorious.

M - Light (but approaching medium) bodied with some detectable sugars and a nice dextriny firmness. Carbonation is lively, but not overdone. And the finish is pretty much neutral with a small amount of hops lingering after the swallow.

D - Ridiculously, outstandingly, superbly, and perfectly drinkable. This bottle went down WAY to fast. This could be the session beers to end all session beers (at least in the summer). I could take out quite a few of these with glee.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

I got a six pack of Bell's Oberon Ale the other day from Meijers for $8.99. Oberon is pretty much a summer time necessity here in Michigan and I have been drinking it every summer since I was 21. Bottled on April 26, 2011 Batch# 10332. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a Weizen glass.

A- I have always liked the label on this beer, you just can't mess with the Oberon sun. I also really like that bells started adding the date on the bottle with the batch number, it makes it much easier to find out the freshness. It poured a nice looking yellowish orange color with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that left lots of spotty lacing. I can see why they claim its looks like a summer afternoon, it just does.

S- I pick up a good amount of malted wheat that gives it a bready and malty like aroma at first. Then i Pick up the citrus that mainly consists of Orange and lemon rinds along with what smells like a a half and half mixture of floral and citrus hops. The combination of the citrus and wheat makes for a great aroma that beers like blue moon wish they could achieve.

T- Every thing that I picked up in the aroma is all present in the taste and is balanced and integrated well. Up front the wheat shines through and has a nice bready flavor to it and is not sweet, it makes for a good backbone for this beer. In the middle is where I pick up all those citrus rinds that leans more towards the oranges. In the finish I get a slight bit of the hops mixture that I picked up in the aroma, it's pretty subtle just like the the light amount of bitterness on the finish that helps tie everything together.

M- It was crisp and refreshing, light to medium bodied, and it had the perfect amount of carbonation, a little more head retention would be nice, but thats starting to be picky.

Overall I think Oberon is one kick ass Pale Wheat Ale, and is the perfect summer time beer, I have yet to have a beer that is better suited for a hot summer afternoon in mid Michigan. I find that many Pale Wheat Ales that are similar to Oberon never have as good as balance of wheat and citrus as this one has. Everything about this beer is spot on and right where it should be. The drinkability is about as good as gets, more times then I can count I find my self craving one of these in the summer, I always grab a six pack for all summer time activities, everything from disc golf, camping, canoeing, fishing, mowing the lawn, just about anything. If you are in need of the perfect summer time brew, Oberon is for you, it is just so damn good tasting, crisp and refreshing. Oberon is one of my favorite beers from Bell's and the my favorite summer time beer, I couldn't imagine a summer in Michigan with out it.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

Bought a case the day after it was brewed. Poured into a glass, and everything was exceptional. It was as if my Christmas had arrived. Drank it slow and enjoyed it. The look was amazing, and you can tell how much time they put into their beers, as bell's never lets me down. I for one suggest anyone who likes a wheat beer to try this one!

Also, when they start filling the taps at bars, this beer is even better on tap. No fruit needed for this one, it's tastey all by itself.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oberon is one of my favorite beers, I especially enjoy drinking this beer as the temperatures begin to rise and I can enjoy it outdoors. As advised I requested this beer without the orange to really get a feel for the taste of the recipe. I could definitely taste the fruity notes in the beer and it made for a very smooth and crisp taste.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

One of my favorite beers of the summer comes from one of my new top ten breweries in America (now I need to update my post). So good that I had to fly some of this home with me from Traverse City Michigan. Just a great wheat ale that I could not get enough of -- could be a dangerous session beer if I had access to this one. All great qualities, especially how easy to drink and its light citrus and unfiltered goodness.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The bottle has a classic Helios for the artwork, on a field of orange; very summery!

Pours a hazy yellow with a foamy white head that gradually disappears. A fair amount of fine grained sediment floats suspended in the liquid.

Has a spicy barley smell to it. Notes of grass and even a little lemon.

Though I generally am not a fam of wheat ales, I count this beer among my summertime favorites. Unlike a lot of the weak dishwater beers that pass themselves off as wheat beers, this one is full of flavor. Light, spicy, and slightly fruity, it is perfect to quench the thirst on a hot summer day. Some sweet malt pops up underneath as you sip, folowed by spiciness along the tongue, ending with a nip of bitterness.

This has a smooth and refreshing mouthfeel, which in turn lends to it being a highly drinkable beer. An excellent summer session beer, I highly recommend this for the next cookout! A word of advice, though, don't ruin the taste by popping a lemon or orange in it. Enjoy it as Bell's intended.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer is reminiscent of another Bell's beer, the great Two Hearted Ale, but the Oberon is a wheat ale. It's also not as strong as the Two Hearted Ale but Oberon still packs a 5.8% punch, although it doesn't taste it. Nice color (although a beer's color has never really mattered to me - give me the taste!) with a pleasant fruit aroma which is also not that strong or overwhelming. Highly recommend you give this one a try especially if you like Summer ales.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer pours a nice orange color with a nice sized head that leaves a solid amount of lacing down the sides of the glass. Aroma of yeast and hops with a slight fruitiness. The main flavors are of tarty fruits, esp. orange. Saaz hops are used and are a perfect complement to the tartiness. Grainy malts seem to be in the mix as well. Coriander is also a strong flavor in this beer. I don't really know if this should be called a hefe but I do know that this is one great beer from one great brewery.

Notes Jun 28, 2008
Bottle,draught,mini keg.The beer pours a very cloudy golden color with a large white head.The strong scent of citrus and wheat is prominent.Strong yeast, orange and wheat flavor. The aftertaste is sweet and citrusy. Creamy mouthfeel,medium body. One of my faves any time of the year,very,very drinkable !

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a hazy, cloudy pale yellow with a medium head. Aroma of sweet cream butter and caramel.

Taste is the same as the aroma: Fluffy, buttery, light biscuity taste with caramel, vanilla and honey. Light wheaty flavors but, surprisingly, no yeast. Also surprising is how not-cloying this beer is, as it could very easily have fallen over the sweetness edge.

Velvety smooth, silky texture -- it's like a carnival in my mouth! Very drinkable, could stay with this one all night. Classified as a weizen but impresses me more as a hybrid cream ale. Best of the Bell's products I've tried, and that's pretty impressive.

4.42/5  rDev +15.4%

Took a few bottles to the beach to do my first reviews. It was a warm, early summer evening, and the perfect time for a summer ale.

A: Deep orange-yellow, very cloudy, and not much head retention

S: Citrus and berries, with a light sunny smell from the hops and the wheat

T: fresh and refreshing, the carbonation is light and cleans out the mouth nicely. ends with light, citrus hops that taste just like the smell, and I get a little spice, especially in the aftertaste.

M: Light and clean, but lingering in the back of the throat due to the wheat. Thirst-quenching.

D: It's a summer ale, you could drink a whole 6-pack easy.

It tastes like a Blue Moon Summer beer to my girlfriend, and I think it's a great summer ale. I like it a lot, and now I finally know what all those Michigan Bell's fans are raving about.

Bell's Oberon Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.