Bell's Kalamazoo Stout | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Very Good
Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout

Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Style: American Stout

Stout brewed with Brewer's Licorice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 4,418 |  Reviews: 1,599

2.1/5  rDev -47.2%

2.12/5  rDev -46.7%

- Very dark color (dark brown)
- Choclatey creamy flavor
- goes down smoothly
- smokey

2.12/5  rDev -46.7%

Pours black with a creamy brown head. This beer has an off aroma. Smells like b.o. a little bit. A little rancid. Not pleasant at all. The flavor is off as well. Not enjoyable at all. It's stale tasting (but it's in their new packaging so I'm assuming it's actually relatively fresh). Off. Sour. Sour even for Bell's. Nothing enjoyable about this beer at all.

Damn, I wish Bell's would get their shit together already. I'm sick of getting "off" beers from them.

2.17/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

2.18/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

I did not notice this said "Licorice" on it until I had already taken a sip. So that was my fault for not reading the label I suppose.

Either way, I could not finish this six pack in three weeks.. I forced myself to finish the first bottle, the next day forced down another. The third day I drank half a bottle and then decided I had had enough torturing myself. I poured the remainder of the bottle I was drinking down the sink, left two at work where they disappeared. The last one is still sitting in the back of my fridge months later. I know one day I'll get desperate enough to try it again, perhaps I will find something in it I didn't before. But I'm scared.

It tastes like licorice dissolved in beer. If I liked licorice, I'm sure this would be very good. But I HATE licorice.

Again, I really fault myself rather than the beer, but honestly, I hated this beer.

I bought it because I like Bell's. Their double cream, and dopplebock are in my top ten beers, the expedition stout almost makes the top ten. But Kalamazoo Stout is my least favorite beer of all time, and Bell's Oberon is my second least favorite.

I really appreciate that Bell's has such variety and strong tastes, but that necessarily means that you're not going to like some of it.

2.25/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.25/5  rDev -43.5%

Time to drink this, batch 8652 from July.

Thick, black, totally opaque. Gorgeous head that forms a meniscus on the glass before slowly dropping, leaving sheets on the sides as it does.

Smells of a locker room: sweat and mice. Stale coffee and a faint bit of earthy hops. Burnt chocolate emerges as it warms.

Astringent and much drier than expected. Toasted whole wheat, overwarmed acidic coffee, tobacco... these sharp, smoky herbal flavors could be the licorice? Tough to recognize without the signature sweetness of licorice candy. Moderate dull hop bitterness on the finish.

Thick body, fairly creamy mouthfeel with a gentle but peppery carbonation.

Tastes like old musty cigar smoke... this is slightly below average for the style. Maybe some sweetness for balance or some other dimensions?

2.34/5  rDev -41.2%

Not a fan of this beer. But I do not usually like stouts. It is a dark brown beer with a strong scent to be expected. It tased dry, bitter, and had an overwhelming roasted flavor. It is not the worst Stout I've had

2.34/5  rDev -41.2%

The flavor of this beer, after the coffee-chocolate of a good stout, was vegetal and over-mashed. It left an unpleasant bitterness inside my mouth. While I love licorice, it did not blend with the taste of the stout, and did not improve the experience. I have enjoyed arrogant bastard and nosferatu, and the bitterness did not work to the beer's advantage. This beer was not well executed and I had no desire to finish it.

Served cold from bottle into glass, leaving yeast in bottle. 2 fingers of beautiful tan head that lingered for 15 minutes. Great black color. Initial taste was fine with the licorice adding an interesting layer, followed by one of the worst lingering tastes I have ever experienced in a beer. The mouthfeel was viscous without being dense. I could not drink more than 1/2 of this beer.

2.41/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Deep chocolate brown color, coffee and malt aromas, bitter with notes of chocolate.
Intense beer, depth of flavor.

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Just an average stout. Expected more,very little coffee and licorice .Disappointing

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store