Bell's Kalamazoo Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout
Liked This Beer
3.98 w/ 4,344 Ratings
Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Stout

Stout brewed with Brewer's Licorice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-11-2001

Liked:
3.98/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 4,344 |  Reviews: 1,585
2.66/5  rDev -33.2%

Aroma – nothing strong, but smells remind me of molasses and chocolate, but also off aromas, like metal and rotten egg.

Dryer taste than the porter, no hops, dry finish. Bland

Texture seems thin, unimpressive.

Appearance is like porter, but with fuller head with large bubbles that are quick to dissapate.

My most disappointing Bells brew. I will give it another try sometime, as it seems like I had a bad bottle (see aroma). The Bells Porter beat this stout handsdown.

EDIT: Just read some other reviews and I don't seem to be the only one who has found the smell off-putting. Could be a more extensive problem

2.68/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very strong coffee smell and taste, with a slight chocolate bitter taste.

2.68/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with MuenchenerKindl, thanks for providing this generous extra

Split with my friend tonight, poured into my Ommegang glass agressively

Color was pretty black but could faintly see through it in the light, light tan head that was about a half inch tall and stuck around for close to ten minutes surprisingly, not much lacing

Smell had black licorice unfortunately which was an immediate heads up for me, some dark roasted malt, faint chocolate aroma, also some small scents of caramel and milk

Taste was a little nasty in my opinion even though the licorice was not as powerful as it was in the smell, not enough chocolate to balance it still though, some hoppiness used in attempt to settle the malt down but it failed in my opinion, could not really tell what kind of hops were used either, thought this would be much sweeter but it was just a weird dry and funky stout overall

Body was pretty thin and highly carbonated, taste went away pretty quickly as well, definitely not a creamy mouthfeel like the Double Cream I drank before this

Could not drink more than another bottle of this if that, too heavy, alcohol is low but it is filling, the black licorice taste makes it hard to get down as well, not very drinkable, not smooth

Pretty disappointed with this one for the most part, do not think it measures to any of the other Bell's stouts I have tried, not worth seeking out if this beer is unavilable to you like it is for me, stick with some of the other Bell's brews

Batch 9801

A- Pours charcoal black into my DFH glass. A thin whisp of a head fades quickly and leaves little pools of dark tan foam lying on the surface. This one lies pretty flat with no carbonation to speak of.

S- Licorice and coffee candy are the first things that hit the nose. Has some spicy notes of Birch Beer/Root Beer. Lots of roasted chocolate maltiness. Not as lively in the nose as I was hoping for.

T- Day old iced coffee, licorice, chocolate twizzlers, and root beer hard-candy. Some charred malt, no hops at all. Not a whole lot going on here.

M- Like licorice water. I've had iced coffee thicker than this. This is pretty limp. No body, creaminess, or carbonation.

O- Hard to believe that the same brewer that makes Expedition, makes this watered down, flat stout. I guess I can tick this off the list and never be wanting one again.

2.77/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very poor example of a stout.

2.79/5  rDev -29.9%

Easily the worst stout I've ever had. Some guy at a local beer store recommended it to me over the Left Hand Milk Stout. What a poor brew. The taste was bland and it took forever to drink. One beer took me about 45 minutes to suffer through. I'm a big fan of Bell's brewery but this beer is simply pathetic. I would suggest avoiding this beer at all costs. It's simply not worth the time to drink it or the money to pay for it.

2.81/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

2.88/5  rDev -27.6%

Very dark brown with a slightly orange highlight. Small tan head. Poor head retention.

Earthy with a spritzy, spicy alcohol note. For me there is a fair amount of sweet, fusel alcohols here. Not great.

Sweet malt with a touch of chocolate. Fusel alcohols. Not good.

Medium-thin body with moderate carbonation. Okay.

For me there is something wrong here. The alcohol note is slightly acetone like and fusel-y. Further, the malt character doesn't have the chocolately, coffee, roasty note expected of the style.

2.9/5  rDev -27.1%

A: It has a nice dark shade of brown...it appears black but just looking at it I get a slight brown hue to the blackness which is neat. The head is perfect on this beer. It's a fluffy tan head that stays up for a long time, not too big or too small...with excellent lacing.

S: The scent in this beer is very subdued. I get a very faint caramel scent along with what smells like dates. It has a nearly Belgian scent but it's very faint.

T: The beer doesn't have a whole lot of flavor either. It has a large amount of bitterness. There's a charcoal bitterness in after drinking. There's a kind of spicy flavor to the beer as well. There is some sweetness in the beer but it comes like this...drink...no flavor...sweetness...strong bitterness...sweetness. There is a candy+hop flavor in the aftertaste.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty good but the beer feels very light and thin. I wish it had more body and presence.

O: Overall I'd say that the appearance and some of the uniqueness in flavor of the beer's taste balance out the shortcomings of body and "traditional' stout flavor. It's a beer that makes you want to take a second sip after the first because you can't really figure out what flavors your taste-buds are pointing you towards. I didn't get a lot of coffee, caramel, chocolate, etc from the beer and I thought it was actually quite thin. It's a tossup.

2.9/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer has a rich brown color and an aroma of coffee beans. It has a bitter, roasted flavor, as well as notes of black licorice and chocolate.

2.92/5  rDev -26.6%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into an English pint glass.

A: dark brown, nearly opaque, lovely cappuccino-colored head that falls into a persistent cap with nice lacing.

S: coffee, spoiled milk, soy sauce, hint of chocolate.

T: spoiled milk, coffee, farmer's cheese, the middle is soy sauce, chocolate milk, and the finish is off-dry mocha, earthiness, and some lingering hop bitterness. To be honest, this beer was entirely disappointing.

M: medium-bodied, slick, somewhat watery.

D: Maybe I got a bad batch, but I have to say this beer tasted off and was not harmonious at all.

2.92/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smell on this one is pretty straight forward, I think. Very malty, very chocolatey. Standard, but pretty good.

For a stout, mouthfeel is pretty thin here. I'm actually surprised by it.

Taste is pretty malty with roasted chocolate flavors mixed in with some tanginess...perhaps that's the licorice that's advertised on the bottle. Finish is full of bitter chocolate and a little sourness too. Some alcohol is even noticeable as well.

As far as stouts go, I don't think this would be among my top choices, as the chocolate is a bit on the bitter side for me, and it's just too thin. Pretty average.

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 82.7% out of 100 with 4,344 ratings