Bell's Kalamazoo Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout
3.98/5
Very Good
Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Stout

Stout brewed with Brewer's Licorice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 4,394 |  Reviews: 1,596

3.84/5  rDev -3.5%

Look - dark brown/black. Completely non-translucent. Maybe half a finger's worth of foam.

Smell - you can definitely smell the licorice, but also maybe blueberry and/or coffee.

Taste - I'm not at all a fan of licorice, but this works for me. The typical stout taste seems to balance out the licorice taste. Has a coffee-like aftertaste, but I'm not sure it's actually any type of coffee that I'm tasting, perhaps still just the licorice.

Mouthfeel - medium, but slightly more toward heavy. Definitely not a heavy stout, but still a stout.

Drinkability - Not bad at all, but as I would always personally do, I wouldn't drink this with food, at least not with anything very heavy or filling. I think you would do just fine drinking one or two of these by themselves.

3.84/5  rDev -3.5%

Thick, dark, grainy and somewhat smokey with a definite hop presence. The vegetal smell seems a little off.

12oz. brown bottle with no date, poured into a pint glass

A: Inky black without any light penetration. A thick, fluffy, chocolate milk head leaves a heavy lacing behind.

S: A very mild beer on the nose. Chocolate malt and currants are most distinguishable. As I drank, I began to pickup a smoky backdrop the deeper my nose got into the glass.

T: The currant sweetness fades quickly to leave a long roasted coffee bean aftertaste that just sticks to the back of the throat. A tad bit too long for me.

M: A heavy, creamy, medium carbonated stout. Good performance here.

D: This is a definite sipper that grew on me. I decided to hold off on tasting notes until I had a second later in the week. The aftertaste is a bit much, but the subtle nose and delicate palate made up ground for me. This would probably pair well with sweet desserts to help cut that bitter closing.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap at the House of Brews. Served in a snifter.

Appearance - Black. Small khaki head. Thin collar and a few stray streaks of lacing.

Smell - Roasty malt. Kinda ashy and burnt. Coffee.

Taste - A little more sweet than the nose suggested. Coffee malt. Roastiness builds into the finish. Very burnt and acrid in the back, but it's not excessive. Some sweetness lingers too.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Very drinkable. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Very roasty. Intense and flavorful.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

The beer is dark, black, with a very small tan head that goes away quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

Smells is roasted malts, faint licorice, some fruitiness.

I don't really taste the licorice, which is a plus for me, as I never did like black licorice flavor. I'm tasting roasted malts, some coffee, chocolate and some malt sweetness. A small aftertaste similar to black coffee, but not unpleasant. All in all this is a pretty good tasting stout. Much better than I expected.

Pleasant mouth feel, not thick or syrupy like some stouts can be. Just enough carbonation.

I'm glad I tried this, though it would not be my first choice for a stout, it is interesting and good.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Black. Ruby choco-head. Scant lacing. Not very populous from a bubble standpoint. Still looks stout yummy licious.

Smell. Not overly pungent. Stout smells. Milk stout impressions are visible in nose vision. Chococoffee. Go figure.

Tastes are not overly defined. Rather laid back and utterly drinkable. Fairly thick body makes the K-Zoo forceful, yet not bullying. This is fine, but it is not going to make headlines. I love stouts of imperial stature. I cannot remove them from my mind as I review this beer. As a common stout this one will do. I would prefer something more over the top though. Might as well go BIG.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Kalamazoo stout pours black into the glass with a small light tan head on top. The foam fades away quickly leaving a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is rich with roasted malt, plus a little chocolate and dark fruit.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is smooth and a little oily. The flavor has roasted malt, chocolate, and nuts. A bit astringent. It finishes a little tart with a taste of plum. Once gone the roast malt and chocolate lingers on the palate.

A pretty good stout. Middle of the road for the stouts I've enjoyed.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to bauermj for this bottle.

12oz bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Brown, as close to black as you can get with a one finger dark tan head.

S - coffee, and chocolates.

T - Strong nutty taste, coffee.

D - Mild carbonation. not as sweet as many stouts. Nice.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass completely black with a fizzy brown head that dissipates quickly into a fine film with good lacing. Beer looks thinner than I expected.

Smell: Odors are fairly subtle... roasted malts shine through.

Taste: My first sip made me think 'smoky', but as I drink I get a roasty flavor and a touch of sweetness that seems pretty balanced. Aftertaste is bitter, leaving your mouth feeling dry. Tastes very good!

Mouthfeel: This beer has a medium to heavy body that could be just a bit fuller.

Drinkability: Goes down very easy. Definitely could session if one were so inclined.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours like molasses. Extremely fine head develops off the bat, but quickly shrinks to nothing. Rich, dark chocolate coloring. Around the edges is a softer caramel shading. Resembles a flat Coke. There is delicate lacing however.

S: Mild. Chocolate and vanilla aromas outline a sweet, roasted central character.

T: Chocolate cake, with faint hoppy undertones. A bit meaty. Roasted coffee aftertaste lingers for quite a while. I truly cannot catch the anise.

M: Syrupy and chewy, but not as dense as its look would suggest. A little oily, like other Bell's stouts I've tried. A surprise touch of carbonation cleans it up (seemingly absent in the appearance).

D: Not too bad for a heavy. This is one of the most drinkable stouts I've had. Drinking a few of these in succession around a campfire would be quite satisfying.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours about a finger width of head, mocha to tan in color. Smells of coffee, chocolate and licorice. Tastes of espresso, chicory, and licorice with just a bit of smoky peat. Mouthfeel is not very fizzy due to low carbonation, but rather thick and rich. Overall, a nice smoky stout. Can't go wrong with Bell's and this beer is no exception.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

This is a pretty damn good stout. The head is seriously lacking, and the mouth feel leaves a lot to be desired, but other than that this is a solid, standup stout. It has a nice flavor of burnt coffee that is really satisfying. This entry is better than most, but I would rather drink guinness.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured black small brown head with very little lacing. aroma was a very pleasant sweet chocolate, carmel, and molasses, my nose said thank you.got a nice coffee, chocolate taste with a taste of raisins. ended with the right amount of bitterness for me

A- Dark Black good stout appearance no sediment. Head dissolves pretty quickly

s - very nice toasted malt smell with subtle black liquiroce

t - very similar to the smell lots of roasted flavor, but not too much, hard to taste the liquiroce root, but flavors linger, good balance.

m - I would say this has excellent mouthfeel lighlty carbonated, relatively low fg from what I can taste, lingers a little long

d - I would not have a problem drinking this by the mug. goes down easy and flavors are enjoyable

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

The first in a line-up of four Bell's stouts that I just picked up (excluding the cherry stout, since I reviewed that earlier). I'll say that it's to celebrate the advent of cooler weather just so I have a good reason for doing this.

A- Extremely dark brown, pretty much black. I can't really see any light coming through. About half an inch of tan head forms but dissipates very quickly.

S- Lots of roasted malt which gives off a subtle chocolaty aroma mixed with burnt toast. Appealing.

T- More roasted malt flavors which are good but not particularly complex. There's also a decent amount of hop bitterness, although I can't really make out much of a hop flavor. The finish is fairly bitter due to the hops and the roasted malt, but there is a hint of sweetness (not a lot, but just enough to keep the beer from being overly dry). The burnt toast flavor lingers on the back of the tongue.

M- Medium-bodied, creamy, and silky smooth. Probably the best part of this beer.

D- Not too bad here. The ABV isn't terribly high, although too much to make this a session beer. I'd certainly have one more, though.

Overall a decent stout. I wouldn't have penned this as a "sweet" stout, although I guess it's not as dry or bitter as most "regular" stouts. It's good for the lover of roasted malt, and its silky mouthfeel makes it a pleasure to drink. Not my favorite, but certainly worth a try. Recommended.

3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz. bottle into shaker pint glass on 11/11/08.

A - Black with burgundy highlights around the edges and one-finger medium tan head that receded to a quarter inch of retention and left a bit of spotty lacing.

S - Nutty malt with hints of chocolate and licorice. Dark fruit aspect with slight sweetness and a bit of sourness as well. Earthy, dirty hops reminiscent of dried leaves and tree bark.

T - This is a fairly robust stout with plenty of nutty malt flavor and a mild sourness with dark fruit accents. Coffee and chocolate notes mingle with a slight smoky character in the middle. A roasted malt character emerges in the finish with some leafy, earthy hops in the backend.

M - Medium body with smooth, oily texture and very soft carbonation. Finish is quite bitter for a stout and also has a mild sour twang. Body is perhaps a tad thin overall.

D - Pretty good stout, and a complex one at that. There are certainly lots of flavors and aromas to unearth from this brew. I've been on a stout kick lately, so it was nice to try this one after having it sit in the fridge for about six months.

3.86/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.98 out of 5 with 4,394 ratings