Bell's Kalamazoo Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout
3.98/5
Bell's Kalamazoo StoutBell's Kalamazoo Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Stout

Stout brewed with Brewer's Licorice.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-11-2001

Ratings: 4,359 |  Reviews: 1,588

3.97/5  rDev -0.3%

This was on sale at the beer store. Bonus. On the other hand, they now recognize me when I walk in. Awesome? Or problem? I'm going with the former.

Pours a sharp obsidian with a round creme head. Decent little swirls left hanging around, but the sides appear as empty as my enthusiasm for this test tomorrow morning.
Initially the aroma was as absent as any lacing. I don't know why. As I continue down into the glass, however a sweet, lazy wafting becomes apparent. Still fairly faint, but it's the sweetness of molasses and a note of creamy sweet espresso. I don't get the licorice that everyone's talking about, and I doubt it would fade in 4 months, but I could be wrong. It's happened once before.

After minimal aroma initially, I was a little concerned that the flavours would be underrepresented as well. Thank goodness my fears were unfounded. This is a smoothe rewarding stout, that starts off sweet before getting a rush of bitter in the middle and finishing with the components blending together in a truly lush manner. That initial sweet is again the creamy sweetness of sweet cream and molasses, while what I'm calling bitter is really that deep black of molasses, and finally the licorice is coming through for me. Lends an almost roasty/coating character to it. You know, like it do. The finish is smoothe and enjoyable, as the licorice kind of draws the beer up from the back of the tongue. You know what that means, right? No? Well, whatever, no one cares anyway.

This is a beer by which I've long been intrigued. It just keeps being superceded by other opportunities. I found a single on sale at the store today and decided to pull the trigger. I'm extremely glad I did. I would consider this in the upper tier of every-day stouts that I've had. It's got a good reputation, and it's one that is well earned. Bell's continues to impress me, and having only recently (a couple of months ago) moved to within their distro, I look forward to the continuing education in their zymurgical endeavours.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

4.01/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.1/5  rDev +3%

3.48/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.76/5  rDev -5.5%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Served on tap in a pint glass

This beer is pitch black and has a brownish head with decent retention.This beer has a relatively low bitterness. There is a smooth and very creamy feel to the beer and it has an overall great feel to it. This beer is very roasty, but also has some chocolate flavor in it to keep it from being too bland. I quite enjoyed this stout and hold it a notch higher then their double cream stout.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

3.66/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

BOD 2/22/14. Pitch black pour with a very good head. Lacing and retention are also very good. Surprisingly light nose of chocolate and roast over a mineral note. Rich heavy medium body with a nice creamy texture. Below average carbonation with almost no effervescence on the finish. The flavor profile is balanced, but lacks the complexity found in world class stouts. It begins with chocolate, fades to roast and flows into a mild sweetness with a licorice note. Hops and roast create a slightly bitter middle with just a hint of coffee and NO dark fruit. The finish is slightly astringent.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to SuzyGreenberg for this extra.

Pours thick black with a good tan head that leaves good lace. Nose is of roasted malt, some copper. Taste is quite good with great roasted malt flavor, a great sweetness that is nice and mellow rather than sickly thick. Very robust. Some slight coffee and a bit of chocolate flavor. Nice little bitterness on the finish that is just about perfect. Very crisp and snappy mouthfeel, which is refreshing. Drinkability is quite good for the style, would love to session this one if it was locally available. Defenitely would be a go to stout for me. Too bad I live on the ends of the earth. Defenitely a unique and impressive stout from Bell's. Has inspired me to dig out one of my expeditions and try it again. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite all around stout breweries. Great.

4.07/5  rDev +2.3%

This powerful stout pours a deep black color with a foamy tan head wafting a deep roasted heavily chocolate aroma. The roasted and patent malt flavors are backed up by an aggessive beefy hop presence. The carbonation was a bit high from the bottle, but the flavor was nice and fork-thick.

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Poured a dark black color into my snifter glass. Nose is kind of week not showing the licorice that they state on the label. I didn't find much of the licorice in the taste either. A nicely blended stout but not with the licorice overtones that I had hoped for.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.98 out of 5 with 4,359 ratings