Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bell's Pale Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Pale AleBell's Pale Ale
3.41/5
Okay
Bell's Pale AleBell's Pale Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by SheepNutz on 12-11-2001

2.7

Ratings: 1,201 |  Reviews: 620

Guiness on top.

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%

The color's that of ripe apricot, the head a solid, stocky white. Aromas are explosive, spinning off citrus, primarily grapefruit, orange, lemon, and a whiff of spice. A downright friendly finish, that meets you, and greets you and treats you right. Awash in bitter, but fruity flavor, with a sensational, and long lasting drizzle of hops. Fresh, sea-foamy nose. Light body, excellent texture and mouthfeel, full of that unexplainable effervescence that permeats all of Bell's ales. It's got to be that yummy, yummy yeast. One hell of a great pale ale!

4.73/5  rDev +38.7%

What a spectacular looking beer! Pours a creamy head. Looks like a mogul-covered ski slope. Except it's not downhill. It looks like there is a storm in the cloudy peach-colored beer. The head refuses to settle. It's there as I drain the glass. Smells wheaty and slightly of apricot. Tastes fantastic. This may be best traditional pale ale I have had. Very complex. Somewhat bitter aftertaste. I think I need to head to Kalamazoo. I'll bring my kazoo.

4.56/5  rDev +33.7%

The Bros gave this bad reviews? Must have got a bad batch, wow. Got a 6 pack and tried it tonight.

Smell is citrus, poured with a nice 1" head and good lacing. Looks think with bubbles floating in the glass. Hoppy taste but very well balanced and good!

I am becoming a big Bell's fan, I wonder how good this would be on tap or cast? Next are the Bells stouts...next weekend. :)

4.53/5  rDev +32.8%

Pours hazy bright golden color with tiny bits of yeast suspended and a perfect sized pillowy white head that last most of the way down the glass. Light floral and spicy hops smell. The hops attack the tongue first thing but are then nicely followed by just enough malt to balance this one. The spicy hops make this refreshing and crisp and a great summertime brew. Extremely drinkable and thirst quenching. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries. Thanks to Deuce for the sample.

4.53/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance: The head is white as I pour the beer off the sediment. The beer is a golden, light amber and there is some haziness.

smell: I notice a nice and clean floral hop aroma, in a nice amount. There is some malt sweetness and a slight spiciness. Some herbal notes and maybe some fruit (cherry?). Smells awesome, and is complex for an APA.

mouthfeel: The beer is well carbonated and is medium in body.

taste: The hops and malt are perfectly balanced. The taste is clean and crisp, but with loads of flavor. The finish is clean and slightly bitter.

drinkability: refreshing and drinkable

Great APA, the best I've ever had. Batch # 6882. Traded from Reavis after his trip to see dirtylou in Chicago.

4.47/5  rDev +31.1%

Enjoyed in a pint glass. Color is deep gold to light amber. Nice foamy white head. Pleasant pale malt aroma with a good dose of piney hops. Flavor is nice and malty with notes of citrus and spices. Finish is a lingering bitterness. Or is it the sweetness that lingers? It's both. Nicely balanced and very refreshing. Subtle carbonation makes for a nice mouthfeel. An easy drinker.

4.43/5  rDev +29.9%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I purchased as a single for about $1.50 from Cost Plus World Market in Mentor, Ohio. Poured into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass.

A 3 inch foamy head over a nice looking opaque yellow orange body with sediment visibly floating around, likely yeast by the smell. I really like this look and I am pleasantly surprised by this mature craft beer look (I had only expected a basic APA look).

S A Saison like wheat grain smell over a medium malt and no hops that I can smell. Very inviting and much better than what I had expected.

T Again, a saison like taste of wheat, grains (likely yeast) but the taste carries a bit more of the hops that I did not smell. They are well balanced with the other pleasant light malt, grains tastes. This is a well crafted beer.

M Medium and a bit thicker than other APA's I have had. I really like the mouthfeel.

D Really high. I mean reasonably low ABV, great, interesting tastes, what more could anyone ask for in terms of drinkability?

Notes: This is superior to SNPA.

4.42/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours a slightly hazy gold, with a persistent fluffy white head that leaves a fair amount of lace. Aroama is full of toasted malt, cut grass, and spices. Flavor begins as bread dough, then becomes herbal and bitter. The flavors balance quite well. Mouthfeel is just slightly rough and somewhat oily, with a medium body. This is a most excellent pale ale, that I could drink all night long. Kalamazoo does it again!

4.4/5  rDev +29%

Ok now this was a good Pale Ale. Perhaps my favorite style, whether I choose to admit it or not, I was thrilled when I saw this come in a package. It had been forever since I tried a good pale that I had not had, and let alone a Bell’s I was stoked. Poured a nice very hazy golden amber with about two inches of white head on top. A nice slow fade gave way to copious side glass lace and a nice film across the top. You could tell it was nice due to ample carbonation consistently replenishing it. Great fresh aroma, with lots of floral hops and a good bit of grain in the back. The taste followed through pretty much the same. Great floral hop flavor hit you right away, but it was very light and refreshing, nothing overbearing about it at all. Nice underlying grain base had a touch of sweetness to it which gave it some good depth. Smooth, crisp finish with a nice lingering bitterness. Great light bodied feel and amble carbonation made it very light and refreshing and kept you wanting to come back for more. This was easily a session ale with no issues. Overall I was very impressed here. This was an awesome pale that was more the adequately hopped and really had a great profile. I would love to have this on tap in my house, it would really be something that would go well for a large gathering of friends or during a game. Highly recommended here.

4.4/5  rDev +29%

Poured a deep straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a very doughy malt and spicy hop.

The taste was upfront grainy, yet biscuity malt with a vibrant grassy and herbal hop.

The mouthfeel was clean and dry.

Overall a very tasty, simple and quaffable pale ale.

4.4/5  rDev +29%

Acquired via concurrent trades from both biegaman & Frozensoul327, so a big “Thank you” goes out to them. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a cloudy gold color with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of citrus, caramel and a decent amount of hops.

T: The taste is very well-balanced with flavors fruity citrus, sweet caramel and a moderate hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty but still on the lighter side. The after-taste is hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down very easily, not too filling, good representation of style, I could put away several of these, this is very good beer to stick with for an evening.

4.38/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is quite possible my favorite Pale Ale to date.

Appearance: Pours a golden orange color with a huge white fluffy head and loads of lacing.

Smell: It has a rich nose of malt, yeast, orange an other citrus flavors along with a hint of honey and flowers.

Taste: It has an interesting sweet banana yeast citrus flavor that remind me of Oberon on the very front but then it instantly gets more grapefruit. It is completely unique and I would have a hard time classifying it as a pale ale. It is buttery and creamy; but what do you call Oberon meets an IPA and a Blonde ale? The aftertaste has a lingering bitterness that keeps me salivating.

Mouthfeel: Exceptionally smooth with a citrus dry tingle and bold finish.

Drinkability: Wow! I am not always big fan of Pale Ales but this one is certainly and exception. I may end up with another case of this stuff. =)

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Bell's Pale Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.41 out of 5 with 1,201 ratings