Venus (The Bringer Of Peace) | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Venus (The Bringer Of Peace)Venus (The Bringer Of Peace)
3.25/5
Okay
Venus (The Bringer Of Peace)Venus (The Bringer Of Peace)

Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Reviews: 130 | Ratings: 807
Reviews by Georgiabeer:
3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

3.46/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A- 1-finger, off-white head drops to a light film. Golden-orange body is a little hazy at first. Moderate carbonation. It clears after sitting for a couple minutes.

S- Definte fruity aroma (I assume it's the apricot). Very much on the sweet side, like an herbal tea with a solid squeeze of honey. Not overly aromatic. Warmth amps up the scent and pulls out the vanilla.

T- Whoa! The apricot flavor is puckeringly tart. Honey sweetness tris to keep up, but is rather lost. Another sip and the tartness settles down a bit. Like the aroma, I get more with warmth (vanilla and a little black pepper).

M- Medium body and carbonation. Rather dry.

O- I don't know. At first I thought it was way too tart, and would be a chore to finish. Some warmth brings out complexity and makes for a more enjoyable beer. From a geeky standpoint, I'm glad I had it and can continue the "Planets" series. However, I wouldn't seek out any extras on this one.

3.8/5  rDev +16.9%

Hot on the heels of the "bringer of war" comes the peaceful second coming of Bell's planet series of ales which boasts a Belgian-esque undertow with fruit, spice and added sweetness added to the brew kettle for a comfortable and calming flavor and effect.

Its glowing body catches the eye with its peachy-golden gaze. Its supple veil of haze pushes a zesty white head upward to take on champagne-like appearances. With the bubbles popping with a sprite attitude, aromas leap out immediately with orange, apricot, mango and a spicy, earthy accompaniment.

Initial taste seems of candied fruit while a notion of honey, citrus, and leafy verbena is juicy with citrus but with a pleasant grassy taste. Considerably dry through the center, the piquant acidity of the beer is buffered with soft vanilla and cream. A peppery and herbaceous taste carries the taste into finish with the stemmy refreshment of sassafras tea.

Finishing with the unique taste of citrus but without its associated fructose, honey or candy sweetness, the ale seems to capture the taste of orange cream sickle but without much of its sweetness. Instead a vanilla softness soothes the senses while a peppermint bite returns in echoes.

3.89/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

maybe too weird for some? with apricot juice, cardamom, vanilla bean, and honey. I personally think this thing is amazing, expertly balanced between all these unique and not often paired elements, it really does work, and they really all do get tasted. there is a funny tang to the nose, the apricot and the vanilla the most robust additives, and a curious yeast character with some booze too. the taste is amazing through, the honey and the apricot are really vibrant and authentic up front with some sweeter and richer barley malt, which the cardamom is just subtle in the middle and brings out the hoppier side of this, and the vanilla is all in the finish, sweet, and circling back to the apricot in a well timed reprise. to say its complex is an understatement, and I see why others have not reviewed this beer favorably, but I for one admire its reach and think its as well put together as it possibly could be considering its constituent parts. cant wait for the rest of the series!

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

This one was quite bad. I applaud the experiment, but the acidity and tartness of the apricot juice overrides everything in the beer. I was looking forward to the vanilla and honey notes and couldn't do anything other than pucker. Disappointed by this iteration of the planet series after thoroughly enjoying Mars.

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 10/2/2014. Pours slightly hazy bright golden orange color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin lace cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of lemon, apricot, cardamom, honey, bread, vanilla, herbal, grass, light pepper, and herbal earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of pale malt, fruit, spices, and earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of lemon, apricot, cardamom, honey, bread, vanilla, herbal, grass, light pepper, and herbal earthiness. Fair amount of fruit tartness and earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon, apricot, cardamom, honey, bread, vanilla, herbal, grass, light pepper and herbal earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice robustness and solid balance of pale malt, fruit, spices, and earthy hop flavors; with a solid sweetness/tartness/bitterness balance and minimal cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied; with a smooth, moderately crisp, and fairly slick/bready mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very solid and unique spiced blonde ale. Good robustness and solid balance of pale malt, fruit, spices, and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A bit off balanced with the spices and fruit with some slight cloying flavors; but quite enjoyable overall.

2.63/5  rDev -19.1%

A: Pretty golden/orange, slightly cloudy. Initially, I’m into it. Insignificant (and slightly depressing) head turns me off.

S: Predominately sweet vanilla, maybe honey, maybe cardamom/baking spices. I should warn you that I think I’m only trying to smell cardamom because it’s listed on the bottle.

T: At first, overwhelming vanilla. Although they claim to have used over 60 pounds of hand-sliced vanilla beans, the taste is synthetic, like a cheap extract. Then I get a tartness, presumably from the apricot. Had they been less heavy-handed with the vanilla, this beer might’ve been balanced. Do I taste animal crackers?

M: Medium-bodied, soft carbonation, long finish. Apricot stays in my mouth, which I’m okay with. It helps numb the cloying, artificial vanilla flavor that’s overwhelming my palate.

O: I’m more enamored by the idea of this beer than the taste. I didn’t hate or like it, and I wouldn’t drink it again, unless it was put in front of me (let’s be honest). But I do appreciate that it’s making me think. I give Bells points for creativity.

BTW, what’s up with Holst? He calls Venus “the Bringer of Peace,” which according to planetary science, is total BS. It’s the hottest planet in the solar system, and it has a super dense atmosphere. Clearly, he was interpreting the planets from a mythological standpoint…love, beauty, femininity. He wrote Venus as a resolution to Mars, “the Bringer of War.” I wonder if my perception of this beer would be different if I had tasted Mars first.

I can't believe this is getting scored so low, I like the vanilla notes with the tart apricot and cardamom spice in the finish it's working for me while I listened to Gustav Holst's Venus: the bringer of peace. Appears with minimal head even after a hard pour a bit under carbonated, bottled on 10/2/14. Hazed apricot glowing orange, minimal white head as mentioned left fine speckled lacing. Aroma tart apricot, soft vanilla even some earthy apricot pit notes. Honey ferments out pretty well, maybe some slight floral notes. Flavor has vanilla all over, the base is a tart mild citric experience of the apricot juice, there's alot going on honey, cardamom, apricot, and vanilla compete and lack cohesion. I'm enjoying it but it's a challenging beer to consume. Mouthfeel is a bit cloying some residual sweetness and something in the texture makes it tough to swallow, light carbonation doesn't help this body move across the palate any better. Overall, there's ups and downs I appreciate the effort, but I can see why there's mixed reviews on this one...although I did enjoy it.

2.98/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

The second beer in the planet series hopes to bring more love then the first. Sometimes I think beers these days are just being made to make a beer. If you are going to take the time to make a beer, please make a good beer. Enough of my rant, on to the review.

A strong pour only generates about a half inch of quickly fading off white head. No lace is left behind as it fades in about a minute to just a skim. Body is a light honey amber in tone.

Smells like a odd candle with hints of honey, vanilla and cardamom. Just like the label says, but I'm not sure it works for a beer. We will see about the taste.

Oh jesus, oh my I think to my self as I take the first sip. There is a lot going on here and it is mostly bad. Oddly soured fruits mixed with vanilla candle wax and musky honey tones on the tongue. This can't be what they were shooting for here. Really not enjoyable to drink at all. I really wanted to like this beer, especially because of how hard it was to get, but I just don't. Nothing good to say so I won't say any more at all.

4.16/5  rDev +28%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a two fingered head; a few squiggles of lace hang around

Smell: Cardamom dominates and though the apricot is not far behind, it is the vanilla that lingers

Taste: The apricot makes a statement in both a sweet and tart fashion, with the tartness coming on strong and the sweetness taking a back seat; developing, in the middle, are the cardamom spice, the honey and the vanilla tones, creating the creamsicle effect that others have mentioned; in the finish, though, it is the spice that adds a Belgian character and winds up dominating the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; a touch puckery

Overall: Perhaps one of the most divisive beers ever targeting the craft beer community, with the majority coming out on the negative side; still, I found the beer fascinating with layers of flavor unfolding; while I am glad to have tasted it, I doubt that I would seek it out again

2.78/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours an orange like color. White head and lacing. Aroma of potpourri herbs and citrus. Citrus and vanilla in the flavor blending with spicy herbs. A clash of flavor. Slightly acidic, though short lived and Medium bodied, well carbonated. Semi dry. Weird beer. The flavors didn't really work.

3.61/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

poured 12oz bottle into snifter. Bottled 10/2/14

A - Beautiful golden apricot with a soft white 1 finger head. Good amounts of lacing coat the glass.

S - I pick up the vanilla and cardamom aromas along with apricot notes. Reminds me of a fruited Saison with some herbs and spices.

T - The apricot is sweet and tart along with the vanilla notes. It has some herbal, leafy notes, but manages to attain a Blonde/Saison style. The finish has a pleasant tartness to it.

M - Light and soft, tart and dry with ample carbonation.

O - A good and interesting beer. I think that it would have worked better in a spicy Saison style without the vanilla. It was a fund beer to drink and taste.

3.75/5  rDev +15.4%

3.56/5  rDev +9.5%

3.79/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev +20.6%

Enjoyed from a 12 oz bottle, this unique brew pours a hazy amber with a nice layer of white foam that dissipates to a thin pooling layer and nice lacing. Nose of apricots, sweet malts, and an herbal note I can not put my finger on...most likely cardamom. Flavors are unique with sweetness to the sides and tartness to the front and back mingling with apricots and vanilla beans as it warms. The herbal notes are enticing with a sweet tart like candy flavor being rounded out by nice carbonation to make this one very pleasant to say the least. Happy to have tried it.

3.41/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with half a finger of white head that quickly vanishes into the thinnest of rings with no lacing.

S: I get honey, sweet fruit juice (apples and apricots, maybe), some floral aromas like lavender, and some Belgian spice and candy sugar.

T: Sweet and slightly tart fruit flavors dominate, reminiscent of apples and cranberries, with some light Belgian spice and candy sugar flavors. The finish is slightly bready and tart, like a hard cider.

M: Light body with lowish carbonation, this beer is close to being watery but just avoids it.

O: An interesting beer, overall. It was enjoyable and refreshing enough, though almost more like a hard cider than a beer.

3.88/5  rDev +19.4%

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

3.31/5  rDev +1.8%

Venus (The Bringer Of Peace) from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store