Saturn (The Bringer Of Old Age)
Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Saturn (The Bringer Of Old Age)Saturn (The Bringer Of Old Age)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
4.18 | pDev: 8.85%
From:
Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Saturn (The Bringer Of Old Age)Saturn (The Bringer Of Old Age)
Notes:
Reviews: 147 | Ratings: 766
Reviews by Buck89:
4.17/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2015 bottle poured into a snifter. A hazy amber orange color with a surprising number of small floaties. A tiny light tan head formed and left quickly. A nice mix of bourbon and vanilla on the nose, slightly boozy. Similar taste with smooth caramel malt, a softer bitterness, vanilla, oak, and bourbon. Medium to light bodied. Excellent.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The "bringer of old age" translates quite literally to the Bell's team and their newest taste that should stand up to time rather easily and maybe even expand upon it. And that's why their "Saturn" is a powerful and mature taste that's indicative of a long and bourbony slumber.

Its deep camel hues are strongly reflective in the beer's high caramel scent. As a dainty creme-laced froth swirls on top, the nose is redolent of caramel, toffee, honey and earthy sorghum. The same translates to a super sweet palate that's full of "Wurther's Original" candies and mild port and sherry influence.

Rich, hearty and nearly chewy, the malty-sweet favors unfold on the middle and latch onto the tastebuds with their decadent caramel, toffee and maple. Rising hops begin to rival the malts with their own citrus peel and pine character.

Deep, savory and succulent to its core, the malty and full beer is a testament to fresh and juicy barley. Like syrup and spirit, the ale has a bight palate that's simply plump with malt, simmering with bourbon and sweet with baklava.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

*Beer #700*

My 700th beer is our 6th from the sun -- Saturn. This was something like $3 bottle. Bottled 4/3 and poured 4/16... let me just say I'm glad I got two bottles, so I have one to sit on for a couple years. It says "The Bringer of Old Age" ... sure, I'll put some age on it.

Appearance: Hard pour gave a two finger head with "tight" bubbles -- didn't last long, but looked great. The beer is copper brown with some floaters. Spotty lacing at best.

Smell: Beautiful vanilla, oak, and malt aroma... awesome blend. Just a very nicely blended beer that smells phenomenal. I mean, if I'm going to whine about something, I guess it's that the barrel could be a bit "strong" for some people (really though, who complains about that?). I absolutely love the barrel, booze, malt, and overall richness of this beer's nose. Stunning.

Taste/feel: Essentially the smell of the beer ... on the taste buds. Maybe this beer doesn't have the hugest amount of depth compared to some other barleywines I've had, but I couldn't ask for much more -- warming alcohol, oak, a little vanilla, rich sweet malt... something about this brew is never truly cloying though. There's actually a bitterness in there that's void in a number of English barleywines I've had before. There's a little dark fruit, but it's not as prevalent as I was expecting. The only thing that could *maybe* improve this beer would be a little maple flavor. The feel is solid -- a moderate sort of body with a slightly syrupy feel and a minor prickly carbonation; it really makes it all come together for Saturn.

The Planet Series has been disappointing as a whole. The only one I really enjoyed was Mars, which I thought was insane. Mercury and Venus were both mediocre at best, and Jupiter, while a good brown ale, didn't do much for me. Saturn is an outstanding beer, and worthy of being my 700th beer.

8/11/15 EDIT: Not sure what to think about this one. Wanted to age my second bottle for a couple years, but impatience and other BAs' wisdom told me I should drink it now. For some reason, I am getting a strange bitterness in this beer I didn't get in the first bottle -- I get it in some beers, and I can only describe it as a sort of copper-like bitterness. The same kind of acrid bitterness vibe that you'd get from eating something that was burnt. It's really letting me down, as I can taste all of the other flavors I loved so much the first time I had this beer. Could it be traces of dish soap in my glass somehow? Not likely, but who knows. This still has a very lovely boozy warmth, beautiful oak flavor, and some malty sweetness. It's just that the end I get some of that horrible bitterness on the back and sides of my tongue. I won't be changing my rating, but it's something I noticed. Very good regardless.

4.22/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The name of the beer seems to fit the circumstances. 12 oz bottle, pkg. 4/3/15, poured into a tulip glass. Bought two singles, putting the other one away for as long as I can stand to.

A - Cloudy, ruby red with brown overtones. Little to no head that moves to a thin lace.

S - Well then....immediate bourbon, then dark fruit, fig and caramel

T - Follows the nose, with a smidge of back end heat (barely noticeable) and a cream soda like finish.

M - Very smooth. Carbonation is low, but there is some sizzle if you let it settle before sipping it down.

O - This is dangerous at 11.5%. This could easily be finished in a few minutes.

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Batch #14128; bottled on 4/3/15. 12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a amber with an orange tint; subtle haze with some clarity. Little head that leaves little lacing and retention. The aromas are full of bourbon, caramel and vanilla. Lots of malts. Everything is balanced and nothing is overpowering. Same goes for the flavors. More caramel and vanilla. Raisins and dark fruits are there. Oak/wood notes are there. Bourbon is there blended with everything. It's not hot or boozy. Slightly spicy. There's a subtle warmth in the finish, but the alcohol basically goes unnoticed. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with lower carbonation; pretty syrupy. Ultimately a smooth drink. I never would've guessed this was 11.5%, it drinks much smaller to me.

This is a nice barrel-aged brew. Sometimes I feel like I'm drinking a scotch ale instead of a barleywine, but oh well. Very solid stuff and the price is right.

3.11/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store in Rochester, NY.

This one pours a clear reddish-brown with a quickly disappearing head, and no lacing.

This one smells fairly boozy, with a bit of dark fruit, and some caramel.

This is honestly very disappointing, like the rest of the planets series. This has an unpleasant boozy and oaky astringency, with some dark fruit, and a bit of caramel.

This is very thin, but a bit syrupy, with a lower level of carbonation. Not all that drinkable.

I was really disappointed with this. one.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 4/3/2015. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy reddish copper color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of caramel, honey, toffee, toast, butterscotch, vanilla, raisin, apricot, apple, bourbon, oak, and oak/toasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark malt, bourbon barrel, and light-moderate dark fruit notes; with good strength. Taste of big caramel, honey, toffee, toast, butterscotch, vanilla, raisin, apricot, apple, bourbon, oak, and oak/toasted earthiness. Fair amount of bourbon/oak spice and earthy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, honey, toffee, toast, butterscotch, vanilla, raisin, apricot, apple, bourbon, oak, and oak/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible complexity and robustness of dark malt, bourbon barrel, and light-moderate dark fruit flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Light carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a very smooth, creamy, and lightly slick/sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warmth lingering after the finish. Overall this is an awesome barrel aged barelywine style. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of dark malt, bourbon barrel, and light-moderate dark fruit flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this from a coworker since my local bottle shop was just doing a lottery for the two cases they got in.

A - Deep, dark orange color that is pretty hazy. Very small, rocky white head with very light lacing.

S - Sweet malt, soft bourbon, caramel, raisin and some booze. Smells like the prototypical BB barley wine. It's sweet, complex, and a good sniffing beer.

T - Initially the sweet malts hit the tongue with the malt, caramel, vanilla, and bourbon. Then in the middle there is more toffee, dark fruit, and oak. The finish is sweet but soft and the booze is strong allowing it to clear the palate like a bourbon and not be too cloying. It is rich and complex but sweet and boozy.

M - High mouth-feel with light carbonation. Overall it feels like a 11.5% barley wine; sweet, and sticks, but with enough booziness to keep it palatable.

Overall, this is much better than I thought it would be for the price and low acclaim. This is probably the best "drinking" BB barley wine that I've had! If you don't like sweet beers or bourbon this one is probably not a good choice but if you haven't tried one of the style this is the perfect one to try. If you can still get this I would definitely get some more to try in a few months when the booziness has died down and all of the flavors are more harmonious.

Glass- Snifter

I sampled some of this at The Friendly Greek when it was first released and decided that it could do with a bit more aging. Now that the entire series has been released, it is time to drink it.

From the bottle: "The Bringer of Old Age"; "Malt Beverage Aged in Oak Bourbon Barrel Casks"; "This is one of a seven part series inspired by Gustav Holst's musical composition, 'The Planets.' Strap in and embark on a flavor tour of our solar system - in the order of Holst's piece, Mars to Neptune."

I Pop!ped the cap and gently decanted it into a large brandy snifter, taking great care not to rouse any lees. I did fine, but it caused the tawny head to diffuse and turn quickly to wisps. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. The nose was big, boozy, hot and laden with caramel and bourbon. Phew! Mouthfeel was big and chewy, like a dollop of caramel ice cream. The alcohol heat caused my tongue to tingle, followed by flavors of coconut, caramel and bourbon. Whew! Warming, it became even hotter, making me wonder if I should not have let it age even longer. Finish was dry and quite boozy. I didn't dislike it, but I was not its biggest fan, either.

4.14/5  rDev -1%

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

4.22/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Hazy copper color. A light layer of head was created through a vigorous pour. I had to try for it.

This smell is sticky-sweet. Possibly a touch of dried fruits.

Flavor is interesting. Soured fruits, hops, dried apricots, all with a lingering tangy-ness. Alcohol is present. The flavor profile seems to morph as the beer warms up a bit. Malt characteristics begin to come through with the hop oils.

*After aging for only 6 months, the beer seems to take on a nut-like toffee-flavor which really goes well with the rest of the beer. I'm going to age the rest of my stock longer and see what happens.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce bottle, Batch #14128, packaged on 04/03/15. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a hazy orange/copper color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like vanilla, oak, toffee, bourbon, molasses and some bready/grainy malt. For the most part I think the taste is the same as the aroma, but there's also some coconut and earthiness noticeable. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's creamy and coating with a moderate amount of carbonation. I liked this barrel aged brew a lot, I wish I would have bought more! $2.49 a single bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%

A: clear copper in color, thin off white head, lots of tiny bubbles floating through this one, I really hope that carbonation doesn't reflect in the mouthfeel.
S: I'm getting a rather heavy aroma of cinnamon in this one, that's odd but I guess it's possible from the bourbon barrels. smells moderately sweet from the bourbon, not getting much hops malts on the nose.
T: wow, this may be the easiest drinking barleywine I've ever had... remindes me more of a bourbon amber ale. the bourbon is definitely there, the cinnamon very faint, the sweetness is average. Booziness is pretty reserved for 11.5 %, I'd peg it around 8.5 myself, comes out a little bit more in the stomach than on the palate, its warming. pleasant.
F: Very balanced, not slick on the tongue like other barleywines I've had, but surely a high end lower carbonation which I like.
O.a. : hands down the easiest to drink, least offensive barley wine I've ever had, not the best, just the easiest to drink. Not malty or hoppy enough for this style, more of a bourbon barrel amber ale. The bourbon almost overtakes it, which is just fine by me...

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Saturn (The Bringer Of Old Age) from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store
Beer rating: 93 out of 100 with 766 ratings