Bell's Porter | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's PorterBell's Porter

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Porter

One of our many award-winning beers, Porter emphasizes the darker, roasted aspects of malt. Hints of dark chocolate and freshly roasted coffee provide the focus, while hops remain in the background. Not as full-bodied as a stout, Porter bridges the gap between malty brown ales and our more heavily roasted stouts.

Added by Mitchster on 02-06-2002

Ratings: 2,930 |  Reviews: 1,066

4.98/5  rDev +28.4%

It's a Porter! You can't go wrong with any Porter...can you!?

4.97/5  rDev +28.1%

Batch 7662, bottled Sept. 19 and consumed Oct. 26

Wow. I was blown away by this beer. An instant favorite. One of the best porters I've had.

The beer pours to a nice black color, completely opaque with a two-finger head. Retention isn't the best, and lacing is minimal, but it looks really nice in a nonic pint.

The smell is great. Lots of black malt and chocolate malt with a hint of smoke. Smells very chocolatey and robust.

The taste is exceptional as well. Very chocolatey with lots of black patent malt. Even though it is on the robust coffee roast side, it still has a very nice sour mash porter flavor. A little bit of a hop bitterness lingers in the finish, though it is not prominent in the flavor.

The body is medium to full. Has a fairly crisp carbonation. A bit creamy. Great lingering finish. This is easily a new session beer for me.

4.93/5  rDev +27.1%

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

This beer is one of my all-time favorites.

A: When poured into my imperial pint glass, nearly 2 inches of creamy, tan head crowned this black, opaque brew.

S: Roasty, with chocolate malt and hints of raisin.

T: Roast upfront, but sharpness is not overpowering. Coffee and chocolate flavors throughout; slickness on tongue. Moderate bitterness with a dry finish.

M: Creamy, full.

D: Very drinkable--this is my favorite example of the style and my favorite Bell's beer thus far. Equally good in the bottle or on tap. A well-balanced beer with lots of complex flavors.

4.9/5  rDev +26.3%

Very good beer. I had it from a 12 oz bottle. Poured very dark with an almost tan head. Excelent taste, great smell, and aftertaste was great. Had a dark roasted taste. I loved it. I would recomend this beer to anybody. I can't wait to drink it again.

4.85/5  rDev +25%

This beer is absolutely AMAZING!!! First of all, I would almost always choose a hefty ale over a stout or porter, so for this to knock my socks off was very impressive. The head on this lasts forever and the flavors emerge more with each sip. There is definately a hint of vanilla in this one. A very clean finish with a sweet taste. This is a much more lively porter than others I have tried. Overall, this is no doubt becoming my saftey blanket porter!

OG=1.055, 6.0% ABV.

This is the definitive porter to me. I just can't think of any ways to improve this beer. I have been drinking this for years and it is always reliable. Merely seeing the bottle art arouses my pavlovian glands.

Dark, dark amber with hints of ruby at the edges, forms a thick light tan head of small to medium sized bubbles with delicate lacing and mild to moderate carbonation. Aroma is very satisfying...oily dark roast coffee, cocoa, grains, chalk, sweet roasted malts, that special Kzoo character, and delicate hops. Mmmmm. Mouthfeel is bright and robust with a medium body. Taste starts with a spicy hop note, fades into dark coffee and semisweet chocolates, a lightly sour note peeks through, followed by some peppery alcohol. The finish is long with rich, roasted malt sweetness, grains, chalk, and a mild bittering hop finish. Complex yet infinitely drinkable.

Having it on tap raises the mouthfeel and drinkability from 4.5 to 5.0, making it "The Perfect Porter". (Take that Bert Grant!). Exceptional in every way.

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A great beer from Bell's I put this along with a bottle of K-Zoo Stout in my chili. it gives it some flavor. Nice brownish to blackish beer with minimal head. smooth tasting and great overall feeling when drinking this beer. I cant complain too much about and awesome beer. so hears again to Bell's

4.81/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Rated within the style. I guess it just depends on your idea of what a good porter is. There are quite a few great ones on the market. There are a lot of great porters that to me should really be called stouts. It's subjective, right? Well, starting with the straight pour into the pint glass we get a nice light tan three fingers of head. The beer appears to be very dark brown, and if you hold a flashlight to it, it has a nice ruby color without letting much light through. The aroma is rich with roasted malt, chocolate, some minor dried dark fruit, and coffee. And maybe a slight smokiness. Nice, thick, lacing down the glass.The taste is roasted malt, chocolate, and finally coffee. Slight bit of licorice and that subtle smoky quality. The beer is not overly carbonated (or complex for that matter), but very adequate...you know you are drinking a beer of quality. There is a nice but mild bitterness up front and then that sweet malt finishes fairly dry. To me, this is what a good porter should be.

4.76/5  rDev +22.7%

I get this on draft every once in awhile..It is a staple in my beer diet. This is everything a porter should be and all other should be compared to the Bell's Porter when judging the taste of a porter.Hands down my favorite porter to date. Easy on the pallet and can easily be made into a session beer which I seldom do! Cheers and hats of to Bell's brewery for this exceptionally fine brew!

Bell's Porter from Bell's Brewery, Inc.