Bell's Porter | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's PorterBell's Porter

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Porter

One of our many award-winning beers, Porter emphasizes the darker, roasted aspects of malt. Hints of dark chocolate and freshly roasted coffee provide the focus, while hops remain in the background. Not as full-bodied as a stout, Porter bridges the gap between malty brown ales and our more heavily roasted stouts.

Added by Mitchster on 02-06-2002

Ratings: 2,943 |  Reviews: 1,068

3.44/5  rDev -11.3%

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. I've been on a porter kick of late and this is my first beer from Bell's.

Pours black with some amber highlights. Nice 1" tan head that leaves some minimal lacing. Smell is smokey and roasted malt with a hop bite. Taste follows suit - quite smokey, roasted malts, maybe a hint of burnt coffee, with a slight hoppy, alcoholic bite. Interesting on my palate and not what I have grown accostomed to from the several porters I've had. Not very much sweetness or chocolate notes at all. Mouthfeel is nice, creamy and well-carbonated which makes drinkabilty good. I could put a few of these back, but the bitter, smokiness might get to me after a couple. Not my favorite porter, I think I prefer a sweeter, maltier, chocolatier palate, but worth a try.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Deep dark opeque purple look. pale/tan head. Sweet chocolate malted milkshake smell. Good sticky lacing and retention. Dry coffee dominates the taste with a little bitterness and burnt malt in the finish. A little light and thin on the mouth as well. Brew is ok, but I could not drink many of these on a row..

3.38/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Almost black, tiny bits of yeast all through the beer , head started great but went away quick. Never saw a chunky porter before.

S: Coffee. Alcohol is light. Syrupy , sweet scent almost like a milk stout.

M: Foamy, creamy, with a nice bitter taste. Pretty true for a porter.

T: The coffee is slight, mostly burnt malts but there is an odd taste, closest thing I can say, is a crayon taste? The alcohol richness makes up for the odd taste notes, so I'd say above average.

D: Okay, but I don't think I'd get this again. Other porters do the style much better.

3.72/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very dark, with a foamy, tan head. Solid retention and a fair amount of lacing. The aroma was very light. Toasted malt and cocoa. The flavor was mildly sweet, hints of coffee and dark chocolate. A bit of hops in the aftertaste, but overall this one is quite smooth. A decent, drinkable porter for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

A- Pours a big fluffy 3 finger head into an imperial pint glass. The head is tan and has excellent retention. As the head slowly recedes, it leaves some nice lacing.

S- Dark chocolates, graham crackers, cream, coffee and nice roasted malt.

T- Starts with some very dark dry baking chocolate notes, some coffee, some toasted grains. The finish has a nice dryness with some residual hop oil notes.

M- Mouthfeel has appropriately low carbonation and a nice dryness.

D- This isn't you typical porter. It has more of a hoppy presence than the more traditional sweet porters. This could definitely be sessionable.

3.28/5  rDev -15.5%

Nice dark coca-cola color. Good carbonation, showed a decent head that didn't last long. I could taste coffee and a little bit of chocolate, but it felt watery to me. Overall, it was a respectable porter and I could drink a half dozen of them, but will look for better instead.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.49/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.87/5  rDev -26%

Appearance: Very very dark brown
Its lovely
4/5

Smell: not much smell at all....sadly. I expected more out of this beer
2/5

Taste: light caramel, light roasted barley, and just a little bi of coffee malt, with heavier hoppyness to roasty malts.

not too bad, but its not to my liking
I give this one a 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: way too watery for a porter. I give this one a 2.5/5

overall: idk, I didn't like this one much at all.
2.5/5

I expected a lot more from this brewery :(

Bell's Porter from Bell's Brewery, Inc.