Bell's Porter | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's PorterBell's Porter

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Porter

One of our many award-winning beers, Porter emphasizes the darker, roasted aspects of malt. Hints of dark chocolate and freshly roasted coffee provide the focus, while hops remain in the background. Not as full-bodied as a stout, Porter bridges the gap between malty brown ales and our more heavily roasted stouts.

Added by Mitchster on 02-06-2002

Ratings: 2,941 |  Reviews: 1,068
2.66/5  rDev -31.4%

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%

Look: Black; one finger of head; noticeable lacing

Smell: Roasty coffee; smoke; booze; Some fruit.

Taste: Roasted coffee; Not overly bitter per se, but without any sweetness or any other flavors present, what bitterness there is becomes elevated. Bit of a bite in the finish.

Feel: Thin; fairly carbonated.

Overall: Meh....Had heard some good things about Bell, but not a fan of this offering; Pretty much one dimensional watered down coffee. Disappointing.

2.68/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Out of a bottle into a 12oz. glass.
My daughter bought this for me to help me on the Michigan Beer Cap display she got me for Christmas. I've had other Bell's products, and have not been impressed. This, to me, is an average porter; nothing to rave or write home about.

2.7/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: A dark brown with a light tan head. So far so good.

S: an "off" coffee aroma.

T: Carmel mixed with malts and what tasted like bad coffee. I suspect I had a bad batch.

M: Creamy

D: Perhaps I was expecting something different or I had a bad batch. But the taste was not what I expected. I may try again just to see if I have a better experience.

2.71/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

malty, chocolate and coffee notes. Just not a big dark beer drinker

2.74/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

2.79/5  rDev -28.1%

I'll be right upfront with my bias towards porters. It's one of my favorites styles. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Almost black it's so dark with a tan head and nice lacing. Great looking pour!

Smells of dark roasted malts and perhaps something else. Not too aromatic, though. The taste is difficult to find. Strange, as I usually expect porters to have burnt and smokey flavors with perhaps some bitterness on the finish, particularly with American porters. It's generally a quite "in your face" kind of thing, not something you have to go searching for. I let it warm to finally find some smokey flavor hiding.

The most disappointing quality is the mouthfeel. Way too thin for the style. Makes me want to go get something more robust to finish the night with. Funny thing is I can feel it weighing on my belly. That's the opposite of what I'm looking for in an ale.

Overall, a real disappointment.

2.8/5  rDev -27.8%

GLASS: Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Pours dark brown. Fluffy two-finger head of tan foam. Decent retention and pretty good lacing.

Nice roasted maltiness. Some coffee, chocolate and nuttiness. Slight notes of vanilla and hazelnut.

Roasted barley. Light chocolate and coffee notes. Toasted hazelnut.

Not quite hearty enough for my preferences. Medium bodied and slightly waterey tasting. Carbonation is too sharp, defeating any creaminess that might have helped this one out.

Would make an easy session brew, if only by it's inoffensiveness and lack of anything 'special'. I suppose, if I wanted to drink alot of these, I probably could.
Not my fave release from Bell's.

2.81/5  rDev -27.6%

A- very dark brown with a head that is no more than a tiny bone white crown.

S- Not much here. very slight odor of lightly roasted malts, some chocolate, and maybe a bit of coffee.

T- roasted malt with a tiny coffee aftertaste and a little bit of chocolate. once again, not much here at all.

M- good carbonation and a light-medium body.

D- I probably wont ever consider buying this again. i had alot higher hopes for bells and this one was pretty disappointing.

2.82/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

This beer is quite dark and personally not something that I enjoyed. Im not much of a porter man, but this beer gave stink a new meaning.

2.83/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I like my porters heavy and dark and this was neither. It felt like a watered down version of a porter meets a brown ale that is having an identity crisis.

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

2.86/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours a translucent dark brown and settles into a decently opaque black with a foamy tan head.

A: Aroma is light: faint roasted coffee, hints of chocolate, sweet malts, maybe even a touch of raisin.

T/M: Has a medium amount of carbonation and a light body. Flavors of mocha coffee mix with dark roasted malts and a slight bitterness similar to some nitrogen infused brews.

Not as full flavored as other, "better" porters, but decent nonetheless.

2.87/5  rDev -26%

served from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass

Pours what initially appears to be very dark for a porter, but a hold up to light reveals it to be the color of a weak pot of Folger's. The head was nearly white, making for a nice contrast. It was generous at first, but quickly diminished to nothing, leaving minimal lacing behind.

A lot of coffee in the nose, some chocolate. Roasted malt & a touch of hops. Nothing surprising or unusual.

This was a disappointing porter in the mouth. Coffee dominates the flavor profile, but it was the taste of old, weak coffee. That this taste was coming from a cold beer made for the very-unpleasant "cold coffee" taste that overrides the hops and general maltiness.

This beer felt pretty darn thin for my tastes, with little carbonation, which only served to highlight the weaknesses in the taste. I suppose that this would be a sessionable porter, but not for me.

Overall, this beer has me mixing my tenses in this review and I don' care enough to sort them out. I'm used to enjoying nearly every Bell's product I drink; it turns out the a brewery that I love making one of my very favorite beer styles wasn't the recipe for success that I thought it was going to be.

2.87/5  rDev -26%

Appearance: Very very dark brown
Its lovely
4/5

Smell: not much smell at all....sadly. I expected more out of this beer
2/5

Taste: light caramel, light roasted barley, and just a little bi of coffee malt, with heavier hoppyness to roasty malts.

not too bad, but its not to my liking
I give this one a 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: way too watery for a porter. I give this one a 2.5/5

overall: idk, I didn't like this one much at all.
2.5/5

I expected a lot more from this brewery :(

2.89/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

poured out a coffee color with a rock-face like tan head. ok lacing.

smells roasty, i get some coffee flavors in there as well.

tastes more roasty than any porters or stouts i remember having recently. in the after taste i get some ground coffee grinds or coffee flavors. i get a "cold coffee" taste, maybe i should let the brew warm a little.

again with the coffee... a slight bitterness in the middle of my palate. a feeling of grainyness as well.

below average drinkability for me.

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Dark brown color, quickly disappating head. High carbonation.

S: Not very much nose at all to this beer. Even after it warmed up. Not like most Bell's beers.

T: Mild taste. Not "robust". Very strange. I have never had a Bell's beer seem so bland.

M: Watery, high carbonation. Felt like I was drinking a diet soda. Very disappointing!

D: This would be easy to drink, because there is not much to it at all.

This is the only beer from Bell's that I have ever had that did not meet expectations for the style.

Bell's Porter from Bell's Brewery, Inc.