Bell's Batch 6000 | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Batch 6000Bell's Batch 6000

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by xlperro on 10-23-2003

Reviews: 157 | Ratings: 182
4.58/5  rDev +6%

I was fortunate to bring in the Gravity Head fest tonight with this on tap. Was a deep ruby red with a thick head that left an abundance of lacing. I was able to raise this glass with pride. Smell was faint, but everything I detected, I liked. Huge malt presence, but with piney hops to balance it out. The taste was amazing. This is a monster! Lots and lots and lots of malt character. Sweet like candy. Caramel, brown sugar, delicious bread. However, this is accompanied with bitter hops. The two are not at war here. As far as taste goes, they are polar opposites, but they work together to make a beautiful whole. Taste is fully appreciated post-swallow. Very syrupy (which is a blessing because it lets the flavor stick around longer), but with plenty of carbonation.

Can you clone beer? I don't want this to be the last time I have this!!!

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a murky reddish brown in color. There is no noticeable head at all. Smell is malt, and more malt. Taste is of a huge English Old Ale, just the way I like them. Very creamy, malty, and just a hint of hops trying to hold on. The alcohol was still very present. A very good brew.

3.82/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle. Dark brown/caramel color. Off white head that leaves a white lace around the glass. Smells like malt, caramel, and dark dried fruits. Taste is pretty thick, roasty, sweet, malty and lightly effervescent even at this point.

While not my favorite style of beer, I liked this one quite a bit and respect how it falls into the style. Nice beer, thanks to whomever traded this to me.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this as part of the Batch 4000 - 8000 tasting we had 9/22/07.

I received this bottle from Mentor via trade. Thanks Paul for this rare ass bottle.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown with a slight orange tint. The thin head fades to leave some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: This smells real nice. The aroma is still pretty intense considering the age. There is mostly piney hops with a little bit of orange and citrus too. It's pretty inviting.

Taste: Starts with some nice malt flavors followed by the pine and orange hops. As this warms, there is a hint of some sweet fruit (maybe cherries?). The hops come by in the finish.

Mouthfeel: The hops and malts hang around for quite a bit. You can still taste the hops after a while.

Mouthfeel: This goes down super smooth. The hops and malt balance very well. I can't believe this is 10.5%. A sixer of this (hey I can dream) would be no problem.

Overall: The best barleywine I've ever had. I would have loved to try this fresh. I imagine the hop flavors were more intense. I wish Larry would make this a seasonal, but I won't hold my breath. I can't wait to see how this holds up in a few years when our 4000 - 9000 tasting takes place. I would recommend trading for this, it's that good.

Thanks again Paul.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to the folks in the first Double Trouble BIF for this one. Enjoyed in a New Glarus flute in the company of WonderWoman and leftmindedrighty.

Looks amazing. Fades from a foggy cherry to a peach to straw. The way the light shimmers through this and the way the colors change is unparalleled. Not much of a head with only a slight off-white collar.

Smells divine. Waves of big sticky barley, honey and brown sugar that rounds off with a faint alcohol nip. The sweetness of this one is so solid and smooth, I really don’t know what to say.

The caramel is in the flavor as well but more subdued. It tastes more organic and woody this time around. Accompanying the barley is a green grape and fig. This finishes off with a charred coffee and old, over-aged, dead hops. This leaves my palate numb.

Feels light and clean with only a trace of carbonation.

A nice beer for sure, but the dryness in the finish is a little much.

4.05/5  rDev -6.3%

Thickest, haziest beer I’ve seen in a very long time. Thick dark brown mahogany with no head. About 2% of the total body appears to consist of large white flakes of yeast. Very intimidating. Sludgy.

Aroma is loaded, strong, and complex. Rum and molasses, raisons, loads of caramel malt, wood, dirt, figs, sherry, and damp walnuts. Mild hop presence.

Beyond full bodied and full flavored. Boozey caramel and boozier dark fruits blended with damp earth, nuts, oak leaves, rye and raisons. Thick and luscious body, creamy and milk shake like.

Surprisingly drinkable.

On tap at Maduro for $4 at the 2007 MHBTG GTMW pre party.

on tap at Maduro, $4 at the pre-taste party

I have wanted to try this sucker for a long time...autumnaldave offered me a cash prize if i drank the whole pint in 10 minutes but i had to savor it as i will probably never see it again once Maduro takes it off

appearance: this thing is a hazy pulpy monster, amber-mahogany body with a nice foam lace

smell: pungent hop presence has weathered the years impressively, thick caramel malt, dripping pine

taste: pungent and bitter hops still strong, chewy caramel malt base, spice, light rye, buttery, matured booze, woody, raisins and other dark fruit. glad i got to try this one this long after the release

mouthfeel: nice full body, a hoppy milshake and a real treat

drinkability: definitely a sipper

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: Arrives at the table with a hazy dark amber color and a modest head that retains and laces well

Smell: Caramel base with a complex woody aroma of earthy hops

Taste: Caramel malt and a touch of anise up front with earthy bitter flavors on the finish

Mouthfeel: Thick body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Three years old and wonderful example of the complexities of oxidation

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to Secret Santa DeeJayDan for this one.

Pours a deep, clear mahogany brown color, with beautiful ruby highlights. One finger khaki, slightly orange head has great retention, and falls into a thick blanket of foam over top of the glass. Delicate lacing is abundant, and tiny bubbles continue to stream up the side of my Samichlaus tulip. Beautiful.

Aroma can be detected with the glass two feet away. Massively malty, with dried ripe fruits, mixed toasted nuts, leather, sherry, a hint of hops, and a decent alcohol presence. This aroma is simply massive.

The flavor is incredible. Quite a bit more bitter and dry than the nose would lead you to believe. Very complex, with some burnt sugar flavors, leather, spice, tobacco, and toasted nuts. Fairly hoppy on the finish, and with a warming alcohol presence. I'm really surprised by the bitterness and overall dry character of the beer, but it is pleasant. Quite hoppy for an old ale. Mouthfeel is heavy and slick. Drinkability is decent, but this is a sipper for sure.

Overall, a damn fine beer. This is a far superior beer, and a totally different league than the higher rated "Third Coast". Think something along the lines of a sweet Thomas Hardy's meeting a hoppy Arrogant Bastard. Complex on both fronts, and absolutely fantastic overall. Highly recommended.

I seriously wish that I had at LEAST one more of these to lay down for a few more years. This will age with the best of them, and should be even better in 4 years or so.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours dark amber to brown in color with some serious bottle conditioned goodies, most of which I reserved in the bottle but still fairly chunky in the glass. Head is minimal and cream to tan in color. Smell is very nice, it is strong of sweet sugary caramel. Other aromas that underly the caramel are prunes, over-ripe strawberries, a little apricot mustiness and a hint of the alcohol. Taste of sweet malts, concord grapes, and some caramel and toffee up front, some grains in the middle and finishes with some spicy alcohol. This beer has been outstanding from the day of its release on and I am now putting more time between bottles as I get down to my final few. More of a barleywine than an old ale but either way it is incredibly complex and has continued to cellar well. One of those beers that makes you slowly savor each last drop.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

12 oz bottle courtesy of sephiroth (after cellaring for a couple years). Poured into an Ommegang glass.

This is one yummy, candy-ass beer. The sweetness, fruitiness, and syrupiness all push the border of whats acceptable without quite crossing it, and the alcohol does a wonderful job of warming but not providing too much heat. The is a slight hop backbone still there. It is a wonderfully complex beer, and unfortunately I only have one, so I will do my best to describe this beer, anyways. There is a strong caramel maltiness to it, with even a little molasses in the smell. I get some raisin, sweet orange, and even a little grape in the flavor. This beer is huge without being thick or too overpowering. It is just a fantastic beer that I can see being a desert beer, but it is probably best standing on its own.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Great to get a chance to drink this even down here in NC,pours a deep hazy amber with a nice tight white head atop.Deep raisin aromas with a touch of alcohol and brown sugar lingering.Big chewey mouthfeel lends itself well to the raisiny,caramel sweet feel to this beer.Almost like a nutty port sipping finish not much noticable hop just a light herbal note,a damn fine beer Iam glad I tried it.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I have a tendancy to dig through my closet cellar on occassion and pull out "special" beers for no apparent reason. This is one of those instances. I was going to have this a week ago but my stuffy nose would not have allowed this beer any justice. Received from feloniousmonk in a BIF last summer...thanks for the opportunity...onto the review...

Dark, murky brew. Cloudy, coke colored with some reddish highlights. Yeast floaties drift around (I'm a fan of the yeast). One finger khaki colored head. Reduced a bit after a few minutes but still sits in a thick layer on the top. Really grips the sides of the glass on the way down.

Amazing aroma. Raisins and prunes and muscadines (only y'all southern BAs will know that one), caramel with a touch of brown sugar. A touch of alcohol slowly comes forward as well. The taste is uttery smooth. Super balanced. Lightly roasted malts play well with some sweet dark fruits. Chocolate flavors intermingle. Caramel sweetness as well. A bit of resin and pine hops are still noticable.

Mouthfeel is just amazing. One of the most full bodied brews I've ever had. Its creamy smooth on the tongue. It coats every bit of my mouth with its delicious flavor. I dont know what else I could ask for. Drinkability is really good. I want several of these but this is a sipper that you could only have a possible of one extra on a night. But its such an amazing beer its hard not to want more.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

I've decided to drink my lone bottle of this brew today and I'm very excited as to what it holds in store for me. The Batch 6000 pours from the bottle a deep, dark brown, bordering on black with maroon hues that come out when held to the light. A nice half inch of creamy, sticky khaki head sits above the brew. Aromas begin with rich, lush caramel maltiness, rum raisin and a myriad of dark fruity tones, notably cherry. A wisp of alcohol with brown sugar, a touch of cocoa and a suprisingly strong piney, resinous hop presence. It appears this will be one tasty barleywine here.

First sip brings a rush of rich, creamy caramel, nutty maltiness across the mouth. Interspersed within lies a melding of chocolate, dark fruits, cherries, brown sugar and a bit of alcohol. Amongst the overall sweetness, there is a nice blast of piney, resiny hop bitterness that lends a tasty end to each sip of this fine brew. An enjoyable barleywine from Bell's that has held up quite nicely seeing they've brewed over 1000 batches since this was created. I dunno how much longer this will last, it's too bad I don't have a few more bottles left so I could see for myself!!

Mouthfeel is creamy with a sold medium body. Light carbonation makes it easy to drink and each sip leaves me wanting another. The ABV is really non existant in the taste and I could possibly have another after this! I'd like to see Bell's put a barleywine into their seasonal rotation...I think it would round out thier already stellar lineup quite nicely! Thanks to SheepNutz for this one. I'm really glad to have been able to try it.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Slightly hazy, murky orange-brown. A hesitant beige head bubbles up gently and fades quickly. Inviting aroma of sweet and bready malts, toffee and diacetyl, some raisin and fig, and a hint of the ABV to come. Flavor is rich and chewy. Substantial malt upfront with deep brown sugar and molasses. Finishes full and satisfying with a clean citrus peel hop bite, along with some bitter chocolate and espresso. Rich and thick malts linger. Alcohol vapors rise up the sides of the mouth, warming as they go. Mouthfeel is fat and full and creamy and rich. This is really good, thanks to Brent for sharing.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

As a last-semester college student facing the arduous process of graduation, relocation, and financial indepedence it goes without saying that there's not much excess cash laying around towards the middle and end of the month. Its now gotten to the point where cellar-diving is an essential part of my beer drinking experience. All things must end, and life is a finite experience...so lets kill that last 6000 that came with the original sixer I got way back in early 2003. I tasted this beer on Christmas of 2004 actually and it had seemingly peaked. Lets confirm if this is so.

Still majestic in appearance, Bell's Batch 6000 is impressive as it resides in my trusty snifter. Deep, leathered brown with only the slightest hints of ruby-tinted transparency. Just the most amazing lace patchwork you'll see. The reverse cascade of the beer's head is astounding, and surprises me in the recollection that this pour is actually more gorgeous than 7000, which I thought was impossible.

The nose reinforces the powers of the calming effects of age. The amazing "gnarlywine" aspects of the beer - a captured, carmellized hop-tincture - have entirely faded, and given way to toffeed caramel, intense raisin, prune syrup. Seems that the alcohol on the nose hasn't mellowed at the same rate as the hops.

What was once a monster is now a sweet slipper of a beer. Still soothingly alcoholic on the mouth and palate but now an insane-sweet gummy-bear with pillowy soft buttered edges. I prefer this beer fresh, hands down. But this is sure one velveteen big beer.

Now I just wish I had a 7000 at this advanced state of age.

Bye bye, Batch 6k!

Poured a deep rich hazy mohogany and indian brown with a little off-white head that didnt last long in my tulip. The scents were like a fine port with sweet plums, raisins and a some alcohol.

The taste was very rich and coated my tongue with sweet malt, charred oak, toffee and maple syrup with a hop bitter and breadcrust on the finish. Let this one warm up a bit and sip it... maybe while having a cigar.

Thanks to the Longbeachbum for this one.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a deep burgandy color with a small pinky sized head that falls to a ring hints of sparce lace here and there.

Aroma is nice big huge malt caramel sugary some alcohol noted a little vanilla dark fruit raisins and plums. and underlying hop notes. You can tell by the smell this ones is going to be big.

Taste is like the aroma big lots of malt sugary molassis, caramel lightly burnt caramel. Fruity some smoky burnt oak like notes also giving touches of vanilla, hints of port wine. Finsh is a lingering growing bitterness that is strong but mellow also don't know how to describe really. Alcohol is also noted in the brew but doesn't detract from the experience.

Mouthfeel is big almost full nice and chewy.

Drinkability is good wishing I had more. Want to thank cretemixer for giving me the chance to try this one though.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Well, its still hoppy. When I tried this beer fresh it was way too hoppy with an unpleasant bitterness and excessivly grassy, piney hops. Some things never change. I do think it has improved with age, and from the vile concoction it started out as to this point as a fairly enjoyable brew I think in a couple years it may actually end up as a very good beer. There are so many flavors lurking behind the overbearing hops that are starting to show themselves, I can only imagine what will be revealed in the future.

3.72/5  rDev -13.9%

This bottle was obtained courtesy of HopHeadKen from the Iowa Beer Cache. Thanks once again.

I'd heard about this beer being quite sedimenty, so I poured very carefully into my pint glass. This resulted in a tiny film-like head that receded to near nothingness, though I couldn't complain, as it was not expected of the style even with a more heavy pour.

The nose is full of raisins, plums, figs, grapes, currant, even a bit of caramel. Has a very port barrel-aged english barleywine characteristic to it. Lots of tannins.

The taste is HUGE. Anybody who can do more than sip this beer has balls of steel. All the flavors of the aroma explode onto your tongue with the power of a nuclear warhead. The finish is very dry and bitter with a residual raisin flavor. The tannins are damn near unbearable. This is a difficult sipper even.

The body is extremely thick and chewy. It coats your mouth like cough syrup, which in turn leaves a wicked aftertaste throughout your palate.

This beer is not for the light hearted. Perhaps too much for me.

4.47/5  rDev +3.5%

Many thanks to ZAP for this one among many fine brews.
Pours a cloudy, dark brown w/ a full finger of cocoa-colored head...lacing is quite thick and has decent cling.
The smell is fantastic...sweet raisins, vanilla, sugarcane, and a hint of rum.
Taste is more of the same, but with a hint of smoked goodness...and some bitterness in the finish as well. Very well balanced w/ a thick mouthfeel...finishing up quite dry.
The alcohol is very well hidden in this fine offering from Bells...making the drinkability slightly above average for the style.
I see all of you lucky bastards who get the chance to try this one on tap...I am extremely jealous.
One more fine example as to why the Bell's is one of the best breweries in the country...on great craft brew after another.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Deeply brown with a monstous reverse cascading head off of an aggressive transfer. Tiny streams of gas propel through the glass and around chunky sediment flecks that hang in catatonia. Sticky lace clings tenaciously around the rim of my glass as the head holds steady.

Smell: Super caramel and toasted qualities. Brown sugar, molasses, sweetness abounds. Hops underlie the grainy sweet smells. Alcohol is somewhat detectable, but adds a nice sting and vaporous quality to the delicious rich scents that rally around it.

Taste: Rich and utterly hearty. Excellent characters on all fronts. Sweet and heavy malt backbone with precision hopping. Bitterness shows after the roasted sweetness barrage and carries an alcoholic warmth on its coatails. Belches expel warm and hop heavy fumes that I reswallow to prolong the event. This thing is robust in a way I cannot describe. Very delicious and inspiring to the mind. You cannot understand the size of it until you bathe your palate in its wonder.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy. This commemorative ale is a hoss. It certainly has the right stature to carry the heavy load of flavours that it boastfully displays. Feelings of satisfactoin are setting in and I have one third of a glass left. The dregs will be the icing on this already excellent cake.

Drinkability: Even with the enormity of the situation, this thing goes down like a champion and begs to be consumed. I am sad to see this chapter drawing to a close. I gather this thing has aged well, for if it is past its prime then I will be a monkey's uncle. I wish I had sampled this at an earlier time, but I am glad that I have it here right now. Double edged swords surround me.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

Appearance is perfect for the style. Dark Brown with a long lasting ring of foam around the side of the glass that leaves some lacing. Smell is decadent, dark fruit - raisins and plums and prunes. Wow, there's a lot more there. Maple syrup for sure. Caramel and toffee, even some grapefruit. And behind it all is a little bit of alcohol. Time to taste. At first, there is a bit of a hop bite - citrusy for a fleeting microsecond before the powerful malts kick in and you're overwhelmed by the dark ripe fruit. Caramel and molasses are there are well. For a second you forget about the hops, but then they bust back in to balance out the sweetness of the malts perfectly. A nice bitterness and piney character rounds out the aftertaste, though you can still taste the heavy malts of course. The mouthfeel is formidable. It's velvety and thick, and really complements the brew well. So very drinkable for its strength, but maybe I should get my money's worth and not take a sip more than once every 5 minutes, since I can still taste it on my palate for that long. Incredble!

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

A huge thanks to Mikeys01 for giving me this bottle at least a year ago. I figure I should pop it before it's retired from the system.
The beer decants from it's container initially a clear rubied brown, although it clouds up significantly despite my best efforts to keep the yeast in the bottle. (Poured into a snifter glass, by the way) A moderate pour releases a very thin ring of beige foam, collaring the glass's edge, with a swirl of mist in the middle. A little swirl of the wrist regenerates the head somewhat, but it mostly keeps that thin collar, continually fed by a gradual stream of bubbles.
The aroma is quite strong, despite the lack of head. Pungently malty, with a viscous, chewy caramel feelr and a touch of roast. Plenty of hops remain, despite a year or so on this bad boy. They've taken on a woody, more earthy tone, which is fantastic with the malt. Maybe a bit like pine nuts. Some fruity notes hint at prune and raisin. Yeast is present, adding to the earthy groove. Quite complex. A hint of alcohol belies the brew's strength, which I imagine is considerable if the color and aroma are any indication.
The flavor opens with a thunderous crash on the tastebuds. Blunt, chewy malt starts pummeling away immediately. What could have been a massively cloying malty chewiness is quickly repaired by a sappy hop sharpness, cutting through with a screeching bitterness, riding all the way through towards the finish. Hints of pungent, crushed fruit, dripping with purple juice. Yeast forms a fine sediment upon which the malt and hops lie, so to speak, just an underlying, vague earthy tone, a bit dusty at times. Once the palate adjusts to the malt, a considerable amount of hopping remains. Pungent pine and sappy, earthy bitterness, finishing the beer with style and class. Oddly enough, the hops seem to grow as the beer warms to room temperature, gaining complexity and depth. A lick of solvent alcohol in the end, right in the swallow, reminding you to take your time. Hugely built, with a sturdy, yet mobile carbonation. A bit of heat when I exhale. Surprisingly elegant for such an enormous flavor.
The aged quality of the beer has almost taken on an oaky tone, which is very pleasant. I'd put this in the category of the great british barleywines, with the smooth, rich malt texture and plenty of finesse. For such a strong beer this is very drinkable, I'm easily sipping on it while relaxing. I think I could do a bottle a week for quite a while, assuming I had that kind of cellar. Very, very nice. I'd like to see how this will improve with additional aging.

4.73/5  rDev +9.5%

I poured this fabled brew into a tulip. I somehow managed to keep most of the dregs in the bottle. Anyone who has poured one of these can understand my triumph. There is an initial three quarter inch thick head that fades to a thin, swirly haze. The colors are brown with a small amount of red. The nose is super hoppy with a strong malt presence.

Every time that I taste this beer, my undying love for it grows. It creates a battle on my tongue between hop, and malt. There is sweet caramel malt that peeks its head out of the ground, only to be smacked in the face with some juicy hops. I detect cherry-like fruit flavors toward the finish. The finish is long and bitter, but clean at the same time. Mouthfeel is smooth with very little carbonation. The drinkability is superb. Why must this be a one time batch? By the way, I have yet to find the slightest bit of oxidation in any of this batch that I have sampled.

Why oh why can they not make this anymore?

Bell's Batch 6000 from Bell's Brewery, Inc.