Bell's Expedition Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

#687

Ratings: 6,213 |  Reviews: 2,153
4.03/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

bought as six pack and have been hoggin' them all for myself. have found that its quite an inconsistent brew. my best judge so far has been... on the pour if the head recedes downward its a better bottle. and obviously the odor will be a defining factor when popping it.

when popped an aroma of chocolate and coffee filled the room. another pops and had a smooth malt odor. but another with nothing. pour is great. opaque with thick creamy head of a dark chocolate color. lace indeed. good density. foam is delicious. on an aggressive pour head graduates from light to dark down into the beer. when right the smell is a wonderful blend. equally coffee, chocolate, molasses and caramel. (in a bad bottle a mild banana and dough. sticky on the lips in that one.) taste is sweet... not intensely. light apple. nice chives hop. lightly smoky. goes down warm and smooth. one of the doughiest over all RIS i've had. liquor like but smooth bitter when best put for an RIS. that wonderful honey malt warmth i seek in RIS when at its best. excellent after a meal during winter. would like to have along side a stone's.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle into SABL glass.

A. Pours a thick black that forms a 2 finger brown head. Very good retention. Thick lacing. Color is jet black.

S. Roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, alcohol. Smells like an Imperial Stout should. Nothing amazing about the smell, but good.

T. Big flavors of chocolate and coffee. Pretty sweet. Some alcohol but not overpowering.

M. Thick and full bodied. Very smooth. Low carbonation.

D. This a a big beer. Its a sipper for me. Not the very best Imperial Stout I have had, but very good. Well crafted and delicous.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

The body is the expected pitch black. The head is very brown and much larger than I expected. I did not need to pour nearly this hard but I was not expecting as much head. Obviously, this bottle has not suffered the flatness problems as some batches apparently did. This head is lasting absolutely forever, no matter, a beer of this style needs to warm a bit anyway. Massive lacing.

The smell is mostly very strong fruit, like raisins but bolder. I'm catching a hint of brown sugar. Reminds me some of wine or sherry, but not much alcohol in the smell as I would expect of a big beer like this.

The taste does not come out quite as sweet as the smell. There is some coffee taste here and the wine-like alcohol comes out as well, but is not overpowering.

The mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth, I'm imagining what it will be like if I let the rest of the bottles sit until the dead of winter.

Obviously as big as this is, more than 12oz of this in a session where you've already had a couple, you don't want more than one. That one, though, I have little problem finishing.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours dark as night with a tan head and nice lacing. The smell is roasty with chocolate notes. Bold with a chocolate character along with roast and coffee. Dark fruit and sweet malts try to balance it out. Some vanilla and creamy as it warms. Carbonation is low but finishes with bitterness. A strong brew that I may have to cellar. High alcohol will keep me from drinking to many.

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

First time I pour this beer. I can't believe how dark it is. I put it by the light and still couldn't see the shine threw the glass.

Aroma is very dark hint of chocolate type. The taste is very malting and rich. This was a pleasant tasting stout. And will drink it again.

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours an opaque, viscous, ink black. A small tan head of less then a finger forms, but sticks around as a cap. Not much lace.
S: The aroma is of roasted malt. Milk chocolate and some liquorish. Smoke, dry wood/oak aromas as well. A huge nose.
T: Roasted malt and chocolate again. The malt seems sticky and chewy. Sweet toffee and some liquorish. A little one dimensional, but good.
M/D: A full and thick body that is low on the carbonation. Creamy and velvety smooth. This is a good beer to sip on, but one is more than enough for a night.

This is a good RIS. One of the thickest I can remember trying. Something I would recommend for the stout lover.

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

l: midnight brown with a huge mocha head - very good retention
s: heavy on the tobacco and tar
t: tobacco and tar, some chocolate
m: full bodied
o: very good imperial stout

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Ended a night out with this at Brickstore Pub in Decatur, GA. Ordered the 2009 vintage.

A - on target with my expectations: jet black, viscous, and a finger of brown head

S - all the usual suspects of roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate. What really caught me off guard upon sniffing this beer was the very distinct and prominent presence of spearmint; not the usual odor I come across.

T - Follows the nose, roasty, chocolate, burnt coffee bitterness on the back end... the spearmint did not carry over too much in the taste. A big bold beer. I thought the ABV was hidden well.

M - Thick, rich, and full bodied. Carbonation was present but not overly so.

O - Great beer. I was surprised that when I read other reviews there was no other mention of the mint in the nose. I don't know if it was a product of the cellaring process or if my nose and palate are that bad.... but it was there. I would drink it again, but I don't think I'd have more than one at any given time - it was a good beer to close out an evening.

4.04/5  rDev -5.2%

Like the java stout I just reviewed this one comes to Florida from Indiana with love from my brother. God bless him.

A: The perfect pouring stout. Nice large 3 finger espresso colored head that settles down nicely to a small pillow atop the brew. There is also very nice lacing down the glass. This one could make People' Magazines 100 most beautiful list.

S: Lacking. There is not much really coming from the glass. I like big bold smells when it comes to beer and this one just don't have it. There is some sweetness that I can detect along with some char of the malt. I wanted nice strong tones of coffee and chocolate, none were found here.

T: The taste is good, but not great. The taste of charred malt is in there, which gives you a sense of coffee. The chocolate taste is of bitter chocolate. To be honest I expected more.

M: This one is thick like a milkshake. The coating is wonderful on your mouth. Had the taste been great this would have helped to put the beer over the top.

D: If this is your cup of tea you could drink several despite the ABV. It goes down rather smooth and hides the alcohol nicely.

Overall: I was expecting this to be Bell's best stout. Right before drinking this one I had a Java Stout which I like sooo much better. I have also had their Kalamazoo stout which I also prefer to this one. I realize those are lighter stouts with this being a RIS. Maybe I was expecting too much coming in to this one. I will revisit in a few days as I have a six pack of it. I will also put a few back to age. Time may be on its side.

I almost feel as though I am being too critical. Bell's is quite possibly my favorite brewer. I have to revisit this one. Will update after my second go around with this one.

Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 4.26 out of 5 with 6,213 ratings