Expedition Stout | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Ratings: 6,310 |  Reviews: 2,178

4.34/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to xmarcnolanx for this trade.

Pours jet black with a thin brown head. The nose is of chocolate cake and java beans. Incredibly tasty with lots of dark malt. Coffee bean and dark chocolate come to mind. Big big flavor with great hop bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is chewy and creamy as hell and rides slick down the throat. Hop and coffee bean flavors dominate the finish and there is a strong alcohol presence in the aftertaste. Very warming and quite drinkable for 10%. This is a great offering from Bells. i would love some of their double cream. This expedition will have a nice home in my cellar for a few years.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a dark black color into my tulip glass. Nice malty nose with hints of chocolate and coffee. The taste is full and smooth with a rich dark malt flavor with hints of cacao and coffee. The mouthfeel is perhaps a little thin for this stout. A good stout that should age gracefully.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a motor oil black color. Has a slightly boozy aroma with moths of chocolate. Flavor is smooth, a little oaky and there is a presence of chocolate and malts. Overall a very solid stout. This could be drank any day of the week.

3.64/5  rDev -14.6%

In the interest of fairness, I will probably have to come back and review this beer again as when I had it for the first time, I was in the middle of a long night knocking back a few with some friends so I wasn't taking the time to taste it properly.

The look of this beer was damn impressive. Amongst my friends I am the "Dark Beer" guy and this one for sure helped my reputation as it looked like motor oil going into the glass.

The interesting thing to me was I got more of a smokey, bitter taste with this then I do with most Imperial Stouts. That is why I want to come back and do it again because I wasn't getting the typical fruit, chocolate, liquorice that I get with an IS.

The alcohol was noticeable for sure as I had a nice buzz going after finishing the beer. At the very least, this beer is a nice solid Imperial Stout.

EDIT: I did come back and drink this again and now as I pay more attention, I do get the normal chocolate/fruity/liquorice flavor I do get from an Imperial Stout. I still get a little bit of a bitter taste though. I do notice also that there is very little carbonation. I like it more the second time though so I will upgrade the score.

EDIT #2: I am coming close to drinking a 2 year aged bottle of Expedition Stout so I just picked up a fresh batch for comparison sake. In reading my past reviews, I realize I have come to understand this beer a little better and I am hoping that the aged bottles will have a little more mellow of an alcohol taste and a little less of a hops presence.

EDIT #3: I had a 2 year old (2010) Expedition Stout tonight along side a fresh (2012) one. The 2010 was a much better beer than it's newer counterpart. The hops and roastiness had faded somewhat and what replaced it was a more malty, dark fruit, sweet taste. I personally like this better in an Imperial Stout than what this beer offers when fresh. I have one bottle of 2010 left so I would like to sit on it for about another 2 years before trying it again.

What I need to do soon is do a side by side taste test of Founders and Bell's Imperial Stouts because they both seem similar to me in that they improve with age.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this fresh, amazing stout. Will be aging a few since it's shelf life is forever but not sure how aging can improve an already tastey brew.

Dark in appearance with a creamy, smoky, roasted malts chocolate, burnt coffee loaded goodness. Possibly the best RIS I've had and one of Bells finest.

4.21/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours black with a thick brown, foamy head. Smells and tastes include smoke, booze, roasted malts, molasses, raisins or prunes. Thick body, with sharp, boozy bite to finish. Great flavor, but slightly astringent on the nose

4.31/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to chubbyswans for this one!

12oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Code on back label translates to bottle Nov 11, 2009.

Appearance: Pours a thick, gloopy blacker-than-black black with huge amounts of cascading brown head - looks like a nitro beer poured wrong.

Nose: Bitter chocolate, espresso, tree bark, toffee, molasses and vanilla. Big nose.

Palate: HUGE! Thick with dense tiny bubbles. Lots of smokiness on the palate and something like iodine. It actuallly tastes a lot like a blended Scotch...Lots of black malt, dark roast coffee, espresso grounds, tobacco and licorice.

Notes: One of the most complex behemoths out there. Sweet and rich but bitter and with a drying finish. Love every thing about it!

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

355 ml bottle, kindly shared by gunnar. ABV 10.5%. Pitch black colour, low head. Strong and intense aroma of heavily roasted malts, cigar box, burnt caramel and oak. Equally strong and intense flavour, again heavily roasted malts, burnt caramel and oak. Pretty impressive stuff.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into CBS snifter. Served at cellar temperature.

A) This is jet black and pours out like motor oil as expected. Nearly 2 fingers of milk chocolate head, with decent retention. This had good lacing and legs.

S) Dark malt + roast. This has some espresso bean, and a hint of dark fruit sweetness. There is a little booze, but at 10.5 % what do you expect.

T) Near the nose... Good amount of roast. A little dark chocolate, and dark fruit, mainly raisins. This definitely has some hops on the backend. Finishes up with roast, hops and alcohol warmth.

M) Close to full bodied... Hell, I'll just get off the fence and call it full bodied. The carbonation was light. This was very smooth and creamy from a feel standpoint, however, my score came down a notch due to an aftertaste that I found a bit to bitter and boozy.

O) This is a highly enjoyable sipper. I'm really interested to try this with some age on it. Definitely a RIS that is worth a try. Glad to recommend.

Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store