Bell's Expedition Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

Reviews: 2,133 | Ratings: 6,143
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into my Corsendonk Christmas Ale Chalice!
Black as night! with a very minimal head that dissipated rather quickly! lacing is virtually none! The mouthfeel is extremely thick and creamy with heavy notes of bitter chocolate, coffee, burnt caramel,and figs with a nice lasting bitter finish,one of the best Stouts i have had the pleasure of tasting!

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

This is one damn fine beer!

This thing pours black like Florida Swamp water! The head is so foamy it looks like a giant marshmellow on top.

Smell rich in coffee and chocolate.

Tastes of coffee and chocolate malts with a dry hop finish.

Probably one of the best Imperial Stouts I have had. I love that I can buy this in a sixer.

4.05/5  rDev -4%

I don't have the batch number in front of me, but this one was bottled only a month or so ago. Since I recently polished off a two year old bottle, I thought I should get another sixer to cellar. This bottle was so new, I expected to get a huge raw hop bitterness level and it did not disappoint. Even though it smells wonderful and has an awesome mouthfeel, it is not exactly drinkable quite yet. After a year or so of aging, I expect the IBU's to calm down and the complexity of the malt to develop. I'll update my review then...

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Par for the course as Stouts go. Dark, black, thick beer with a tiny bit of light brown head that disappears very quickly.

Smell: Decent smell of roasted chocolates and nuts, a rather large alcohol smell present as well, which takes away from it a bit.

Taste: Very good taste here. Starts off slightly sweet, with a taste of the chocolates and a bit of a fruity taste. I'm thinking raisins and figs. After that comes the roasted nutty flavor, which is then overpowered by hops and alcohol. As you go, this beer improves, with the alcohol and hop flavor slowly fading, giving this an everchanging, complex taste throughout the glass.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and chewy. One of the thickest beers I've had. Coats the mouth very nicely and leaves whichever flavor you are getting at the end behind.

Drinkability: Very good beer. Could see this being a staple this winter. The only hold-ups could be the thickness and the ABV. Both of which could eventually prove to be too much. Very good beer.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

The fourth and final installment in my Bell's stout tasting. I intentionally saved this one for last because... well, you know, I heard it was supposed to be good or something.

A- Inky black with a nice tan head that dissipates over the course of about a minute, leaving behind a silky lace. Nice.

S- Oh man... wow. This doesn't give off the typical stout aromas of burnt toast and coffee. No, this has aromas of sweet dark chocolate, raspberries, and licorice. There is a slight burnt edge to the aroma, enough to let you know that this is a stout and not some kind of chocolate liqueur. Slight alcohol fumes invade the nostrils as well, leaving a fruity aroma that lingers in the nose for a couple of seconds. Amazing.

T- Starts off sweet with chocolate and dark fruit flavors. More burnt edges, with the roasted malt coming into play a little more than the aroma indicated. The alcohol is definitely present, but not in a bad way; it's definitely not overwhelming. What's surprising in this beer is the substantial hop bitterness. The hops only add a touch of flavor ( vague leafy taste), but contribute a lot of bitterness, which I don't think really jives with the rest of the flavor.

M- Thick and syrupy with a nice fizzy carbonation that somehow works for this beer.

D- Definitely a pleasure to drink, but it can only go so far. One is enough.

A fantastic stout to be sure, and one of the best-smelling beers I've ever had. However, the flavor falls a little short of my personal gold standard (Stone), so I'd have to rate this beer as slightly inferior. I believe that some aging would greatly improve this beer as it should mellow out the bitterness a bit. As it is, it's fantastic, but it could be better. Still highly recommended.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

darrrrk. nothing but blackness. no light will pass through this one. well done. thick head with amazing retention and big big lace. smells of chocolate, coffee, and roast. nose is not incredibly strong, but the taste is wonderful. full full body with hints of unsweetened chocolate, coffee, burnt toffee, caramel, and some hops. minimal bitterness/burn from the alcohol, roasted malt and hops. what a great beer!

4.77/5  rDev +13%

Absolutely amazing! This is the best stout ever! Pours very dark if not black. Thick foamy tan head. Nose of chocolate and a little coffee. Thick and full bodied. Great aroma but an ever better taste. Creamy and thick on the palate. Dark chocolate and coffee in the flavor. Just a great beer.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Well, I got home at 10:30pm after a 3 hour exam and decided to have a beer, even though its getting late and I am exhausted from a long day of work, school, tests and rugby practice. So I figure I'll grab a nice relaxing Bell's Brown ale. Maybe that mental exhaustion was too much, as I uncorked my only bottle of Expedition Stout. Apparently this was that special occasion I was waiting for...

Note: The guy at the store said this was last year's batch... no real way to tell. 12oz bottle to pint glass.

Appearance: A beauty, A dark mocha tan sits perched atop a black body. The head rises up as the beer cascades a bit, and then settles to a finger. Will be interesting to see where this goes at almost 11%ABV. Update: down to a nice covering, with some good sticky lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, burnt, smokey undertones. Toffee and some mocha beans. Fantastic.

Taste: Both myself and Peter noticed how strong it is right off the bat. And as that first sip sinks in I can already feel it warming my stomach. Clearly not for the faint of heart. Initial sweetness gives way to a burnt undercurrent with notes of coffee beans and chocolate. Gone is the toffee and smoked flavours, but present is a bit of an exepected hop twang. If this is last years, and this has mellowed out... one can only imagine what it tastes fresh.

Mouthfeel: The flavours just linger and linger. The carbonation level is great. Perfect for a stout, in no way overwhelming, yet there.

Drinkability: Certainly not the beer I was looking for at this time of night, or on a Wednesday, but alas... It is a sipping beer.

Final thoughts: The addition of Bell's to the Mid-Atlantic market has brought many treats over the last year. And while I do like the two hearted IPA, I can't say enough about their stouts. Kalamazoo stout is great, double cream stout is great, and this one, oh this one is right up there.

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

Batch 7251, consuming it right now and thorohly enjoying it.

Pours an oily blackish/brown with a pleasing mocha colored head, coffe and sweet on the nose, I taste coffee and perhaps a bit of unsweetened cocoa, heavy but not quite as heavy as you might think it should be (as far as I'm concerned it's perfect for the style), nice finish that hangs around for a while.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - jet black, big and creamy dark tan head. Sticking lacing. Head does not hold up that great, but readily comes back with a swirl of the glass.

S - HUGE figgy/raisin notes, some cocoa undertones, not exactly what I think of when it comes to stout aroma, but it is awesome.

T - big dark fruit sweetness to start, it just washes over your mouth like a tidal wave on a beach, but then as it recedes, a smooth chocolately finish slowly reveals itself. Hop character and bitterness are both low, although I don't see how they could possibly compete with the malt anyways.

M - Chewy, creamy, sticky, soft; just a lucious mouthfeel. Huge alcohol, but oh so refined.

D - Amazing.

I am totally blown away by this beer. I don't know if my brain and tastebuds could handle anything much bigger or complex. The best beer I have had to date.

Thanks to Demcorhip for the bottle!

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

I have about 3 of these and all came from different people, so I don't know who exactly to thank, I guess all three.

This bottle has a number 7817 on the back label (bottled February 1, 2007).

Wow, pours incredibly dark with a huge amount of mocha colored foam that almost overflowed over my glass. The foam lasts, and lasts, and lasts.

Big roasted malt aroma complemented with cocoa, chocolate covered raisins & cherries, wet grains, and a faint fruity alcohol presence in the background. Some earthy hop notes also seem to be there along with some woodsy tones.

Tastes of bitter-sweet chocolate, roasted and chocolate malts, cocoa, some fruit and alcohol. My only complaint is that it tastes a little hot and the alcohol is too noticeable.

Mouthfeel is thick and well rounded. Dry and modest bitter finish.

I think I'll keep the other two beers for a few more months as I see this is a beer than will improve with age. Very tasty RIS, but I wasn't overly won.

***update 7/14***
Thanks to illinismitty over at RateBeer for this vintage bottle. Batch 6811 which the website says is from April 26, 2005.

A good "hiss" when I crack the cap. Pours dark and viscous, I didn't think I would get some head but about an inch of mocha colored foam covered the head of the beer. The head lasted for about a minute and reduced to a thin ring. 4

The aroma is a mixture of dark and milk chocolate, cherries, roasted malts, lots of molasses, maple syrup and various sweet, dark fruits. I'm still picking up more things; sugar covered raisins, plums, maybe just a hint of soy sauce (but very little), and salty meat. After a few moments I can pick up a bit of oxidation, like wet paper. After the beer settles the aroma is pretty tame and the dominant fragrance is a syrupy sweet one, not in a bad way. 4

Taste is pretty much in line with the aroma. First I get a bid dose of chocolate (dark, milk, syrup) and then I get the sweet, dark, fruits in the middle which is quickly overtaken by some roasted barley and finishes with some coffee and toast. Second sip revealed more sweetness in the form of molasses, maple syrup and brown sugar. A couple more sips later I pick up some cherries, grapes and apricot pit in the aftertaste. A little bit of anise flavor half-way through the beer. Near the last fourth of the beer I can taste some dry graham crackers, multi-grain bread, a bit of vanilla, and a touch of alcohol. 4.5

Mouthfeel is syrupy, thick, but the low lever of carbonation makes this one pretty drinkable...sticky lips after each sip. 4.5

Pretty tasty stuff, glad I traded for this one and will have to get more of this to age. 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Was very pleasantly surprised to see this on tap at Capone's the other night.

This has to be one of the oddest looking stouts I've ever seen. The beer looks more like a cup of dark hot chocoate then beer, with a hazy chocolate appearance, good lacing and decent head retention. On the nose one gets some more chocolate (quite a bit of it in fact), with a hint of vanilla, coffee and cherry. The flavors are replicated on the palate, especially in terms of the chocolate. However, there's also almost what I would call an underlying grittiness to this beer, which while fine for the most part, hurts the finish a bit I think. There is considerable bitterness in the finish, and at least for me, that coupled with the sweet chocolate and high abv. makes this a difficult beer to drink.

This is absolutely a solid beer, but is just not my cup of tea.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

The first Russian Imperial Stout to really blow me away... (not at the time of this review, but ever... I first experienced this beer over a year ago, and it's stuck with me... this bottle was picked up a couple months ago when I was in Iowa)

Pours like motor oil, with a gorgeous deep brown head. The lacing and head are definitely on the thin side, but it sticks around as well as any. It just looks fantastic.

The aroma and taste are definitely dominated more by raisins, prunes, and coffee. The chocolate/mocha notes are present but subdued, and particularly towards room temperature rich, french pressed coffee and a rich sweetness providing great balance. A dessert, for sure. Aroma could be more intense, but it hands in there nicely. A delightful sipper.

So rich and thick that it doesn't go down as nicely as Stone's, or Smutty's (two of my favorites), but I love this beer, and I pick up a few every time I'm in the midwest. Even at 12 oz I like this best as a beer to share at the end of an evening, best with a little bit of chocolate.

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. This is a thing of beauty. The aroma is great! It has a warm black, chocolate, and roasted malt scent. It's rich and creamy with a stiff non malted roasted barley aroma. The taste is great. It is rich with malt complexity. It starts out smooth and creamy with a chocolate malt taste. Then it quickly warms with a roasted malt feel and finishes with a bold black malt blast. This is a damn tastey beer. The mouthfeel is great. It's a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is the perfect RIS. It's bold and challenging with loads of flavor and malt complexity. It's warm and inviting. A damn fine beer!!

4.14/5  rDev -1.9%

This is the first RIS I ever tasted. I have had this beer at room temp 70*, out of the fridge 40*, and 15 minutes out of the fridge 47*. I will highly recommending refridgerating it then let it rest in your glass a little while.
Great oily opaque black color with a nice tan head that hangs on for dear life, lacing never stops. Smell is awesome with a hint of sweet malty carmel, coffee and anise. taste is much like the aroma, maybe not quite as pronounced, but now you find the hops, hidden just below the malty flavors. in the mouth this beer feels like a smooth chewy stout like it should. Drinkability is a little lower only in regard to the fact that one of these is enough for me in a sitting, very sweet almost a dessert beer.

3.41/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pitch black and sludgy as it pours from the unassuming 12 oz. bottle. A massive milky brown settles on top of the inky liquid. Very intimidating.

Liquorice, chocolate, coffee, cinnamon in the back, and a little

Starts sweet and boozy with lots of liquorice and dark chocolate flavors. Some harsh acrid flavors. Burnt toast and coffee.

Buttery mouthfeel. A combination of harsh flavors, big ABV, and sugary sweetness make this a challenge to put down.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Received in a trade from tpd975. Have wanted to try this brew for quite some time and can’t wait to take a sip. Drank from my Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale pint glass.

Appearance- Pours the blackest of blacks. This is by far the murkiest, dirtiest, oiliest, grimiest beer I’ve ever seen and it’s beautiful. Thin dark brown head that slowly recedes leaving a soft cap and fluffy collar. Fantastic lacing is randomly left around the side of the glass.
Smell- Rich chocolate and sweet molasses seem to jump out of the glass into my nostrils. Dark ripe cherries and hints of citrus are surprisingly prevalent and stronger than any other IRS that I’ve smelled. Roasted coffee, caramel and toffee help bring all the scents together allowing some alcohol to show. Incredible!
Taste- Extremely in your face, brash flavors that scream at my taste buds. Starts with a roasted toffee sweetness that tickles the tongue and quickly gives way to dark roast coffee. Nice bitter fruity kick reminiscent of raspberries shocks the palate back to its senses. Finishes with a slight alcohol kick that leaves an espresso like aftertaste that doesn’t seem to ever leave. So amazingly good but honestly was somehow expecting more after the nose. Amazing how big everything is in this brew.
Mouthfeel- So thick and rich it seems to coat your entire mouth in an oily, viscous substance. Velvety smooth with tiny carbonation that fits perfectly.
Drinkability- This is definitely a beer that should be sipped and slowly enjoyed. It’s so complex and flavorful that I’m almost at a loss for words. Wish I had more access to beers from Bells but so far the two that I’ve had (Two Hearted) are tremendous. I enjoyed this beer thoroughly and can’t thank tpd975 enough. Terrific beer!

4.39/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very deep brown, near black and opaque. Only a thin ring of tan head.

Smells of rich coffee and chocolate liquer. Very sweet and roasty impression.

Brown sugar sweetness throughout. Coffee rich through the front half and roasted bitterness in the finish. Well balanced. Alcohol warms but isn't overwhelming. Very nice.

Thick, almost syrupy, and carbonation just barely cuts through. Works well for the style.

This was very nice, one of my favorites of the style so far. Thanks orrshow for splitting the bottle.

3.33/5  rDev -21.1%

A- About a 1/4-1/2" mocha head on a pitch black body. When pouring it looks like black ink.
S- Big roasted malts, maple syrup, toffee, black currants, hints of coffee, brownies, alcohol, and just a tiny hint of grass hops.
T- Alcohol, light syrup, brownies, burnt malts...lots of them, black currants, and a really dry medium bitterness on tongue. It is mostly made up of burnt malts and different roasted flavors. Alcohol comes in after tickling the tongue and warms up back of throat and makes it quite hot.
M- Really dry finish! Full body with low carbonation.
D- It is alright. I think it focuses to much on just the different burnt flavors for my liking. I can drink it but I doubt I will be searching for it again.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

A snifter glass served at Capone's during both Founders/Bell's nights.

A: The stout is pitch black, no other words adequately describe the dark depths of this stout. Unfortunately there was no head atop this black beauty, besmirching the nice appearance.

S: The nose is roasted malts, dark thick grains that have bready and vinous characteristics. Some sweeter grains punch up the strong burnt aromas.

T: The taste is right in line with the big aromas from the nose. There is a thick roasted burnt malt flavor, bitter and strong that remains throughout the drink. That burnt flavor is nicely matched up against a graham sweetness. The alcohol underlying this beer is huge, completely unable to hide itself even amongst the abundance of flavor here. The finish is burnt and bitter, leaving a long full taste in the mouth.

M: The stout is huge, easily overwhelming the tastebuds with dark roasted flavors and big alcohol. This is not a stout for the faint of heart.

D: A snifter is great, more than one and you'll be seein' double. This is a complex beer that is best enjoyed slowly with good company.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a dark opaque black color with some brown highlights when held to a light. Chocolate milk head that sticks and laces. Smells sweet, roasted coffee beans, chocolate, cocoa. Taste has a lot of delicious layers with everything the smell offers and more. Alcohol warms but is not present in the taste. Drinks like a dessert. A wonderful stout that is a must try for all stout lovers and beyond.

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

"I don't know what's in em, I just know I can't stop smoking em!" That's about how I feel about this beer. Lots of flavors going on in there, but they all kind of blend together into one powerful, never dull alcoholic hodgepodge.

Pours jet black with the darkest brown head i have ever seen. the head lingered forever. smell is strong on espresso and dark chocolate, roasted malts. Alcohol presence is strong, but not offputting. taste lingers FOREVER! i could taste it on my lips for hours afterwards and i wasn't complaining!

mouthfeel was incredibly creamy. don't think drinkability was so high since it was kind of like a milkshake. like mitch hedberg said, it was like pancakes, amazing up front, but in the end you're fucking sick of them.

glad i bought 2.

4.85/5  rDev +14.9%

This stout pours very thick, nearing a maple syrup texture. A tall, dense, deep brown head forms while pouring. The body of this stout is dense and about as black as it gets. Head retention is excellent. This is what premium stout look like.

A short burst of sharp, roasted barley flavors hit the nose before a sweet rush takes over. Smells of licorice, tobacco, brown sugar, prunes, nutmeg, hops and espresso appear in a complete display of power. Alcohol is notable on the nose but it provides just enough strength to tingle the nose without overpowering the senses. Excellent all around.

A sweet rush of chocolate, espresso and candied sugars lead the flavors of this beer with authority. A blend of dark fruits and faint spices are joined by a powerful, charred and roasted barley flavor backed by a strong hop presence. An alcohol presence is provided by a mild burn. The finish is long, epic actually. The strong hop flavors and charred barley mixed with pipe tobacco seem to hold forever. This is a top notch stout.

The mouthfeel is very luxurious and the body is quite thick. Mild carbonation is present but this beer is just a little too oily to be perfect. Overall, the mouthfeel is still supreme.

Drinkability is very good for a stout with this level of flavor. The strong flavors and long finish should make this a slow sipper but this beer just disappears from the glass. If you find this beer, buy a lot.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

Bells Expedition Stout
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a snifter
Batch 7251, packaged 02/06, ventured into 07/07

Poured black with a medium mostly lasting brown head with fair lacing.

Smelt of strong dark chocolate and mocha without even putting my nose up to it. Upon closer inspection,strong dark chocolate, dried plums, mocha, burnt grain, sherry.

Taste was upfront rich sweet dark chocolate, strong bitter burnt grain, moderate sherry and vinous bitterness, moderate fruity esters, like dried plums or figs, followed by a harsh bitter burnt grain and yeast, and sherry with moderate chocolate sweetness on a long lingering bitter burnt finish.

Palate was full bodied, creamy, silky and viscous, softly but slightly stinging carbonation, strongly astringent and moderately alcoholic.

Overall, a good strong Imperial stout. Not my favorite, but I will see how aging affects it. Lots of alcohol warmth and strong bitter flavors. Hell of a punch on the palate. Very good over all, although a bit over the top, still after one year.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Batch #7817, purchased from The Beer Depot (Ann Arbor) and hand carried back to Colorado for my enjoyment. Pours a strong 2 finger dark dark brown head. Cascading carbonation in a pitch liquid. The head just hangs around. Beautiful. Smells sour chocolate milky. Sweet dark caramel scorch. Alcohol is prominent and clean. The alcohol and black patent mix well together.

Tastes wow. Complex grains and sweetness with an alcohol that just pierces through and tempers things. Amazing complexity and delicousness. Black patent sour with strong roast and a thick creamy malt sweetness. Roast is a drying factor, as is the clean alchol...but overall, the dessert-like malt sweet wins out. Molasses. Some rough grassy, which could be fusel alcohol, but I think is more likely from an old school hop like Bullion. The only improvement I'd like to see is a touch less overall sweetness to amke for a bit more prominence of the caramel sweet that is under all the dark grains.

Mouthfeel is super thick with modest carbonation. Carb sting blends into the black patent sour and alcohol sting/warmth. July 21st is a brutal hot summer night in Colorado, but I'm still loving this thick heavy stout. Drinkablity is stunning. Yeah, I'd take another.

I've had this beer several times before and always remember it as a really good beer. I always remember it standing up to up to big expectations. That's tough to do. This beer is about as good as it gets. I could see some reviewers hitting the sweet as too much, but I find the alcohol and hops are a counterpoint that makes this beer blanaced and complex. Phenomenal.

Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.