Bell's Expedition Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

Ratings: 6,166 |  Reviews: 2,138
4.49/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.64/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: a motor oil black with some brown on the edges. Opaque. A tan head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lacing

Smell: bitter chocolate, roasted malts, some cocoa. Slight sweetness that is ver subtle compared to the bitterness in this bad boy.

Taste: chocolate, some sweet some bitter. Cocoa. Roasted malts. Bittering hops aparent throughout. Alcohol in the backend

Mouthfeel: heavy. Bitter lingers a bit. Hot alcohol kick

Overall: good. Not my favorite. Will keep you warm on a cold one. I think I will through one in the cellar to see how I like the age on this one

2.94/5  rDev -30.3%

9/26/11 date on the bottle, so this is better than 2 years old, cellared.

Looks the park, dark and menacing with not much beyond a thin white ring of head.

Smells decent, but I can smell the alcohol, that's not a good thing for me.

Taste is burnt coffee, bitter chocolatey with some alchohol on the back end.

Overall, I'm disappinted, this has been conditioning in the basement for over 2 years, mouthfeel has no silk at all, somewhat prickly, the bitter chocolate/coffee taste with alcohol isn't working - ten tidy, old raspution lost abbey serpent stout, BCBS all vastly superior tasting imho.

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

2012 batch reviewed in 2013. Poured from a bottle into a Founders snifter. Very black, thick, viscous pour but the carbonation is extremely low. A rough pour produces a very thin head. The nose is really nice. Lots of char notes, dark fruit, and espresso. The rich dark chocolate notes I sometimes find are not here. Perhaps more time in the cellar is needed.

The beer has a full body, a somewhat oily feel, and a big roasty flavor. Some creamy malt up front is punctuated by intensely bitter roast and coffee notes, dark fruit, and burnt, crusty chocolate cake soaked in rum. The bitter roastiness lingers a long time in the mouth. It's pleasant, but a little one-dimensional. I don't detect any rich complementary flavors to go along with it.

Bought this 6-pack last year and this is the first bottle I've touched. You can spare me the ``drink one fresh'' speech. I've had this beer fresh many times, I was never impressed, and I don't think the brewer intends for you to drink it that way anyhow. Since its reputation as a good cellar beer is undeniable, I plan to re-review it at 12-month intervals. This one is about 14 months old and, while good, still has lots of room for improvement. At present, it can't hold a candle next to my favorite RISs. I look forward to someday trying one of these that's 4-5 years old. Consider this review a work in progress.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.76/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Not going to lie I thought the beer menu said "Black Note Stout" but that aside this is a fantastic beverage.

Ordered it in bottle (2012) and this beer had a ridiculous amount of head for an imperial stout, smelled like cherries and chocolate.

Very smooth and not at all boozy which could be expected in a double digit ABV beer.

This beer was absolutely perfect going down, even better than Black Note in terms of drinkability. Apparently my bar has Bell's Cherry Stout waiting to be tapped so I'm very curious to try that.

Overall, I'd order this again without batting an eyelash. Very drinkable and smooth with a tasty vanilla/cherry taste to it. Went well with my cheese curds.

Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.