Bell's Expedition Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

Ratings: 6,166 |  Reviews: 2,138

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I'm new to the craft beer scene. I started with stouts and got sick of them. I switched to IPAs and got sick of them. When I first had this beer I was so sick of stouts I'd rather drink real motor oil than this Castrol impersonator.

BUT! After a multi-month binge on IPAs I burnt myself out. I looked into my fridge to see a few Expedition Stouts left. My brain compartments told me to drink it and I did. And it tasted DAMN good.

I'm really glad I held onto this beer and gave it another shot. It's INSANELY roasty at the beginning, but you're soon greeted by this silky smooth dark fruit flavor that balances the beer out extremely well. I feel like Barry White should be playing in the background while I write this review.

This beer's sexy. Yeeeaaah.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance- Black as black can be, 1 finger head that disappears quickly, but there is a ring of foam where the head was.

Smell- Dark fruits with a slight berry smell. Caramel and malt.

Taste-Dark fruits, caramel, malt, hops backbone, port or a dark wine, alcohol but not like liquor.

Mouth feel- Thick and heavy good carbonation not chewy to me.

Overall- BIG BEER not for the weak or fainthearted. Somehow this beer is reminding me of Guulden Draak, I believe its the dark fruits.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.