Expedition Stout | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

Ratings: 6,402 |  Reviews: 2,210
4.43/5  rDev +4%

was a little wary of this one as i'm usually on the fence when it comes to imperial stouts. started out with an absolutely amazing pour. dark as night black (and thick as hell) with an deep tan head that is absolutely massive and creamy. it leaves anice streaky stickiness on the glass. bravo. the smell is great as well, with notes of cookies dough, spice, chocolate, malt with maybe some coffee hints in the back. i am a bit giddy at this point and can't wait for my first sip. so, while i'm on the fence with imperial stouts as i stated earlier, this one is just a winner. the best imperial stout i have tasted thusfar. starts with a chocolate malt flavour that moves into some bitterness then a dry coffee finish. it gets bonus points from me for not being overly aggressive with the coffee flavouring. there is a nice alcohol warmth in the throat on every sip as well, but the alcohol is maked nicely otherwise. while i would still turn down the coffee flavouring a bit (though just an ever so slight notch), this is a damn near perfectly balanced beer in terms of flavour. mouthfeel is heavy and smooth for this full bodied brew, which is just right in my book. easy drinking and i wish i had access to this brew and to this brewery more often. an excellent brew.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Midnight black with no highlights to speak of. The head is a massive milk chocolate brown monster, one of the darkest I've ever seen. The foam is melting slowly and is depositing thick, shredded sheets of lace on the glass.

The aroma doesn't exactly jump out of the glass, but it does become bolder with warming. Each sniff delivers chocolate, coffee and hops, in order from most prominent to least. The flavor is strong, rich and dark, with boatloads of roasted malt. Specifics include generous helpings of black licorice/anise, molasses and bitter espresso.

Expedition tastes rougher, more bitter and more alcoholic than Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. It'd be a better beer if the alcohol were masked more completely and the edges were smoothed off a little. The mouthfeel is some kind of amazing. This brew is thick, chewy, ultra creamy smooth and goes down like heavy cream.

This is a Big Beer, one that should be sipped and savored. If you like your Imperial stouts with an unapologetically brash, bold, slightly raw taste, but with a refined, well-mannered mouthfeel, then you'll enjoy Expedition Stout immensely. I think I'll age the next bottle.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours quite a rolling, bulbous, and pocky head, showing a wide lattice stain and slow dripping lace.

Smells of smoky and dark malts, as well as plain dark coffee with some aromatics.

Tastes like big roastiness, big dark malts, big dark coffee, and big alcohol, and then some herbaceous, minty hops. Plenty of espresso-like bitterness once you settle in, too. After adjusting to this beer, you can feel it standing on the verge of falling off into a rollicking mess. Fruity anise slowly comes through, as the finish tastes like chewing coffee grounds and a creamy bitterness - interesting finish to say the least. Complex, rough, but smooth, the bigger the harder fall, and this one is dangerously close.

Its a thick doozy. Can't wait to try some more, I feel it takes more than a couple to wrap your mouth around this behemoth. Also aging two bottles to see what happens.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours like used motor oil. Thick and black as night. Modest head, but leaves some lacing on the glass. Has a french roast coffee to molassess aroma. Thick mouthfeel, which is appropriate for a this style. The carbonation is light, and needed to make the thick liquid dance on the tounge. This is defineatly a sipping beer. One or two of these would be plenty for the night. The taste is a tad heavy on the roasted barley-roasted coffee flavor for me, but this is an exceptional stout.

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance - Black in color with a slightly reddish hue and an awesome, dark tan head that showed great retention and laced the hell out of my glass. I can't say enough about how cool this looks at the pour.

Smell - Big, beautiful roasted malt notes along with some nice coffee and very dark fruiting, most notably figs and dates. There's also some brown sugar to this one along with a hop balance of some kind. This nose is very complex, and I'm sure that I'm missing a lot.

Taste - The bitter coffee comes out huge at the taste. All the other players from the aroma are here as well, but it's the coffee that takes things up a notch. There's also some malty cocoa to the flavor profile. This is not for the faint of heart.

Mouthfeel - Super creamy and milky smooth. This is a full-bodied stout if there ever was one. The bitter nature of this ale will give you the shakes.

Drinkability - I loved this stout, although it may be too bitter for some. I'll give Stone the edge simply because it has a bit more balance (with more big fruits) but this is certainly one of my Top Ten beers of all time.

Comments - A big thumbs up to francisweizen for sending me this awesome offering from Bell's. This is an experience that I'll never forget - and one I hope to repeat : )

Update - I got an '04 bottle of this from my brother-in-law in Madison, WI, and cellared it for four years. For some reason I was in a giddy mood tonight and decided to pop it open.

Oh, Lordy, is this a good beer. First let me say that this has not changed nearly as much as I thought it would after four years of cellaring. It hasn't sweetened up like I thought it would and could probably stomach another four years. Having said that, this is one of the most flavorful beers on the planet and is probably STILL too bitter for most even after four years in the cellar. Damn the torpedoes though I am enjoying the hell outta this one.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

A deep dark black brew covered in a thick dark brown head. Oh, this one is certainly a looker. Sweet chocolate hits the nose first, followed by burnt malts. Coffee and espresso are in there as well. So rich and roasty, I can only imagine how great this one is going to be.

It is very smooth and rich with very mild carbonation. The body is full, very full, and I would even say a little thick. Flavors come at me from everywhere. Coffee is huge and very dark and roasty. Chocolate still manages to show off some sweetness. Espresso, and burnt flavors come in to play near the finish. There are small kicks of alcohol from time to time. This is an imperial alright. It also has a nice hop presence, so just when you think you had tasted it all, it gives you a little more. Warming effect is nice, and despite this being a big big beer, it is very drinkable.

Well, Bell's sure made a great first impression. The PA beer laws were good to me on this one. I "had" to buy a case. Looks like this one worked out real fine.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Side-by-side tasting with North Coast Old Rasputin (because I drink a lot of Raspy and it always makes me happy).

I didn't have the carbonation problem some have mentioned. The head was small, but it didn't take any extra coaxing to get one. Dark brown and a little noisy, too. There is a strong roasty edge to the nose. It's almost nutty. There's also chocolate and maybe a little smoke. The beer starts strong, thick and chocolatey. It's very buttery (like a dollop of butter melted into it). The middle is thick, thick, malty, choco, sweet, buttery. A strong alcohol finish seems almost toxic.

So how does it compare to my standard Rasputin? It's thicker, maltier and more buttery. Much less hoppy and bitter. Stronger than Raspy, quite a bit more intense. Very rich. So they're different, but each one impresses me as I switch between them. I'm going to ding Expedition on drinkability because for me the richness gets almost cloying (I said "almost"). But for that, it would beat Rasputin, I think.

Thanks Al. I think I owe you.

2.87/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Presumably from the 2002 bottling as none of this six pack's residents are sporting any neck labels. Pours a thick viscous black with absolutely no head what-so-ever, even after an attempted hard pour. Aroma consists of alcohol, expresso and chocolate. Some sweetness also detected. Full-bodied and coating mouthfeel. The taste is vinous and alcoholic. Grainy and chocolate flavors emerge toward the back. Finishes dry with a roasted malt and ghost-like tabacco flavors.

Defintely a sipping beer and very hard to finish. I did not want another one, and quite frankly, how many of these could one desire, especially with the carbonation issues? My impression, at least from this batch, is that this beer is highly overrated. I'm not completely turned off, but I'll wait for the new bottles. The Bell's retailer should have these pulled off the shelf and supply a more fresher, properly brewed and bottled product.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Served froma 12 oz brown bottle, this is from the 2002 batch. The expedition poured out an inky black the color of well used motor oil, and unfortunately with just about as much carbonation...however that was only a minor bump in the road and overlooked fairly easily. My only frustration was that I bought this under the inpression that it was the more-carbonated 2003. Aroma coming off this deep dark brew is full of espresso, roasted barley, and sugary sweetnees. The taste is even more rewarding with deep roasty coffee flavor coming right out. Then it begins to be enhances by just a touch of hop bitternes and a fruitiness that I can only describe as reminiscent of the fruit you used to see in big glass jars soaked in brandy once upon a time. Quite smooth and sweet, the alcohol this one sneaks up on you. I'd love to try a more carbonated sample of this one...

The Black Hole of Beers.

Expedition pours out jet black into a pint glass with little carbonation evident, just enough to form a thin head which hangs around. The beer clings to the sides of the glass much like motor oil upon shifting and has an intense roasted and molasses scent which invites you to partake.

Strong and varied flavour on this one with coffee and chocolate being dominant but not overwhelming and an exceptional roasty bitter finale. Feels incredibly 'thick' in the mouth with a strong taste that lingers on your taste buds seemingly forever.

The drinkability rating represents my overall feelings about this beer relative to other imperial stouts. I've had a lot of them at this point, as it's one of my favourite styles, and though it might be hometown pride talking, I still think Expy is the best, plain jane Russian Imperial out there. It's affordable given its style, and I'm always in the mood for it.

Hard to find a more flavourful or tasty imperial stout, my current favourite, and the crown jewel of Bell's impressive line of stouts.

(Also worth noting that Expy ages wonderfully, like many of the more powerful beers, letting this stuff sit for a year or two only deepends the flavour, and takes the edge off the hops, an interesting juxtaposition with the fresh product, and just as tasty, simply in a different way)

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

This is Bell's best offering without question. An opaque black with a brown head that vanishes immediately after the pour. It's everything you want in an imperial: espresso, dark caramel, toffee flavors with that overwhelming hop bitterness behind everything and the dominating malt sweetness... unnnnhhh! Damn it, I need a towel. Or maybe another expedition?

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

I poured this stout straight and high into the center of my Delirium Noel glass to try and get a head but to no avail. It poured still and looked like soy sauce – black and opaque. The nose was like a stout perfume with scents of roasting coffee, sugar and alcohol. The taste is intense with chocolate, coffee and buttered rum. Rich, thick and delicious. Try it with a piece of good chocolate and experience bliss. My only qualm would be the need to vintage date the bottle to see if time helps. Didn’t see any sediment so maybe this is not bottle conditioned.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours oily black, black, midnight black. Head is dark tan and only an eighth of an inch thick.

Smells nutty, chocolately, sugary, and loads of it.

Definitely has nutty roasted malt flavors but also has strong sweet dark chocolate flavors present thoughout as well as some coffee.

Mouth feel is chewy, smooth, slick, chewy, outstanding.

ABV is somewhat masked at first but becomes more and more apparent as it goes down. That hurts the drinkability as does the sheer magnitude of this beer makes it too much to do a lot of.

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%

Note:I had a friend lug a six pack of this back from Michigan (where it was in a cooler), to Portland... the bottle I review below has been sitting in my closet since April 2002.
Poured out of the bottle into a Duvel tulip with little fanfare. Poured like a dark chocolate syrup, a dark burnt brown. Appearance score would have been better if there was evidence of carbonation. In the glass it was black, with some dark burnt red- brown peaking out at the edges of the glass. Wafting some distance away from the glass were powerful aromas of decadently dark chocolate, dry cocoa, and alcohol with some ester notes attached to it. I love it! It entered my mouth in what seemed like a dormant state, shunning my taste buds for a few moments. Then blam!! Ultra-dark smokey chocolate bitterness exploded on my palate, and my lips assumed the conformation of a blissful smile. Exceptional...a riot in my mouth. This flavor lingers on long after a sip is taken. After recovering from the shock I sought out other flavors. I found alcohol, raisins or prunes, hearty grainy malts, and maybe some cough syrup. I had a hard time distinguishing the bitter chocolate from bitter hops, maybe it comes from both the hops and the roasty malts? Mouthfeel was pure velvet, full and smooth. Notable was the complete lack of carbonation. I have heard that older bottlings are nearly flat (which I think this is because of the lack of a band on the neck or upper part of main label). Or it could be the travel mishandling on the way to my glass? I imagine that carbonation would improve the flavor and mouthfeel significantly. When I acquire a more carbonated bottle of Expedition a re-review may yield higher marks for taste and mouthfeel. It isn't extremely drinkable (though good), due to its power and explosiveness. This is the nature of a stout of this caliber. This is one to experience!

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours out with a creamy sinister-looking deep dark tan head that falls upon inky blackness. The nose is a cornucopia of delights...coffeeish, leathery, chocolatey, fruity and roasty. Superb! Moving on to the taste, I get ultra rich and oily thick mouthfeel supporting a plethora of flavors such as charcoal, chocolate, strong black coffee, deep dark fruits, roasty barley, rummy notes...everything but the kitchen sink here! Finishes as long and slow as a sunset on a long Summer's day, just fades to a complex and complatitive gorgeous ending. This is a Beer among Beers!

CRJMellor, I am indebted to you for this 6-pack!

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Creamy, Turkish coffee foam looking head, but more voluminous. Beautiful black body, inky as hell. This was one mean looking stout. It had bittersweet chocolate, toasted bread crust, charcoal, and paper match smoke in the nose. Occasional whiffs of alcohol can be found. This was 11.5%?!?! This beer does an immaculate job hiding the alcohol. I would not have guessed it over 8.5%! In the mouth this beer was one harsh mofo. It tastes like it looks, dense and black. It actually smells like it could have been a sweet imperial stout, but it was not. It was dry and charred from start through everlasting, salty finish. It kinda funny, but there were some hop burps. Hops? They get lost in the blackened mess. Good creamy mouthfeel.

This was a gigantic stout. There is no doubt about that. I was a bit let down though. I’d been waiting to try this for years, and I finally cracked one of my two that I brought home from Michigan this Thanksgiving. I wish it was a bit sweeter. It grew on me, but it was no what I expected. While I can appreciate a aggressive beer like this (and Monster, Blithering Idiot, Quad, etc) I like them a bit more smooth. Not easy-drinking, but smooth.

[Once this one warmed up, the nose reminded me much of patis. Not a good thing, but not reflected in the “smell“ rating.]

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is oil black, with a nice bit of head for such a high ABV brew. The smell is sweet malt. The taste is very dark chocolatey, with hints of anise and coffee, and the alcohol is present if not necessarily overwhelming. Mouthfeel is oil-thick. Drinkability-wise, I'd want to drink more of these than I actually could!

A wonderful and rich imperial stout. Not quite as good as some of my personal favorites, it's still up there as a damn good beer nonetheless. Definitely one I'd have in the future!

4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: Deep black motor oil, moccha tan head leaves speckled lacing. Aroma: Anise, chocolate, plums, and a whole load of underlying hop tones, cascade I think. Taste: Really poetic blend of fllavor here crashing waves of syrupy sweet alcoholic tinged fruit blended with bittering hops and harsh dark roasts what a treat this is definitely alot going on in there. Really potent, the alcohol doesn't burn though it doesn't overdo anything just adds another depth level there. Mouthfeel: Like drinking a protein shake thick and full bodied as all hell, this beer as great streaks of syrupy goodness going on. Drinkability: Complex, enticing, and oh so enjoyable to indulge and challenge the senses, however it's not the type of beer to drink a sixer it's that once in awhile when I get a craving for a big brew that knocks my senses renderless.

4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours syrupy black with some nice carbonation producing 1/4 inch dark tan head, that is clinging to the glass as I drink it. Aroma was slightly chocolate with a little smoke or peat, also a little bit medicinal and maybe a raisin hint. Slight hop aroma deep in the background. Mouthfeel is not as strong as the look would indicate, smooth, rich and syrupy. Taste is overpoweringly coffee, roasted caramel and highly alcoholic on the back end. (Glad my bed is only one story away). Definitely a winter beer for a cold Michigan night. Malt profile really comes to life as the beer warms in the glass. Almost has a Doppelbock malt finish to it. I feel lucky to be living so near to greatness ! Excellent beer.

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%

Not much of any action at all on the pour. I poured agressively and got just a little hint of a light brown head. Nice dark opeque thick look but no real carbonation. Big sweet coffee, plum, raisen smell with some bitter chocolate as well. Big strong abv , black coffee, and bitter burnt caramel. The mouth is thick and flat.. I am shocked after seeing the reviews here.. but for me it is a flat, overly intense beer that really lacks balence.Dissapointing for me... Not drinkable enough to have another.

3.65/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours thick and black and just verges on motor oil. A deep brownish head appears and vanishes quickly leaving a simple ring-little if any lace. The absolute focus here is thickness and richness. The aromatics are strongly chocolate with a mellow hop bitter as well as definate coffee nuances. The mouthfeel is thick and gooey-very viscous and reminds me of a really rich chocolate malted in which the ice cream has melted and what is left is that syrupy mass of ultra rich, ice creamy turned liquid goodness. The flavors are over the top-again, much like an ultra premium chocolate ice cream than a beer. Try with a turtle sundae, or as an alternative lubricant for your engine of choice.

4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz bottle served lightly chilled in a Trois Pistoles goblet.

Appearance: Inky black with no highlights whatsoever. Wow, über-dark. Topped with a fantabulously gorgeous and healthy mahogany brown head. It eventually settles down to a film and a ring, but only after a good long while. Extraordinary lacing, just plain extraordinary.

Smell: Dark roasted coffee, high quality cocoa, light prunes, mild smoke, and slight biscuit aromas. Damn, that's dark and complex. I spent a good few minutes just sniffing this incredible elixir of the gods.

Taste: Intense and bittersweet coffee flavor with hints of smoke. Notes of prunes and raisins. Aftertastes of pepper and piney hops that last forever. Just friggin' incredible.

Mouthfeel: Thick, robust body. I've often pondered comparing the body of a beer to a woman's body, but have quavered for consideration of those possessing homozygous sex chromomes. Now, I shall throw caution to the wind and just say it: if this beer were a woman, she'd have the body of a 50's starlet like Jane Mansfield of Marilyn Monroe. Va-va-voom!

Drinkability: Well, I sadly only have one bottle, and this is it. *sniff* >.< *weep* I love this. Trades will be made, oh, yess.. yes they will. Worthy of it's placement in the top 50. Curse you Bell's for making such tasty stouts of all stripes!!!

Mad crazy props to feloniousmonk for making this possible. My second child shall be named after you, even if it's a girl.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer is HUGE! Pitch black pour with zero head (And I mean nothing). Looks like motor oil sitting in my glass....but motor oil never smelled this good!! Aroma is so complex - roasted malt, chocolate, toffee, licorice....hops, liquor....you name it! Wow.

The taste is dense, thick with roasted maltiness with a nice hop hammer balance. So incredibly smooth and complex. A party in the mouth.

Viscous mouthfeel. Thick, nice low carbonation. High ABV is apparent, but enjoyable, on a small consumption scale at least. Not to be drank in mass quantities (unless you are a masochist). This is one of the best of the style without question!

4.07/5  rDev -4.5%

Minimal brown head that shortly became nothing more than a film sits atop an opaque black beer.
Aroma is mesmerizing. The best aroma on a stout I can remember. Chocolate covered fruit (strawberries come to mind) pretty much sums it up.

Taste is big and bold. Sweet chocolate covered fruit (melons come to mind) up front. This gives way to roasty bitterness, alcohol and hops. The two extremes balance this one out nicely between sweet and bitter.

Lots of body and some creaminess to the mouthfeel. Thick? I think your car could get 3000 miles out of this stuff if you used it in place of 10W-30.
Drinkability is the drawback of this one for me. I just don't find it real drinkable.
Overall, this is a big beer and one of the better imperial stouts out there, IMO.
Big thanks to Blatzman for providing me with the bottle and prompting me to give this beer another try! I simply wasn't ready for this beer when I had it a couple years ago.

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%

picked this up after work, but didn't see the 15 dollar price tag till i was at the counter so i went ahead and bought it. poured a deep, deep black color, no light penetration, and also no head. no head at all, but still a nice looking beer. smelled like chocolate and coffee and then tasted about the same. huge flavor that sat in my mouth for 5 or 10 seconds after each drink. however, i don't think i could drink more than one of these in a sitting due to the heaviness of the flavor. very good beer, but i don't know that it was worth 15 dollars a sixer. this was my first imperial stout so i don't know if that is the normal price.

Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store