Bell's Expedition Stout | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Bell's Expedition StoutBell's Expedition Stout

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2002

Ratings: 6,183 |  Reviews: 2,146

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.46/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

12oz bottle, batch 9459, bottled Nov 19, 2009. Over a year old. Served cellar temp in a New Belgium globe/snifter. I've enjoyed this a few times in its youth but wanted to wait to review til it was over a year old.

Pours black with a two finger brown head that leaves some pretty lacing and holds a small cap.

Aroma is rich roasted malts, chocolate, anise, coffee, vanilla, dark fruits of plums, figs, cherries, and raisins, some alcohol. Great strength.

Flavor is also very rich much like the aroma with chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malts, cherries, plums, figs, raisins, vanilla, there is still a noticeable alcohol bite/burn which is to be expected for the ABV but I thought it would have diminished more over a year's time. Still, can't really fault a big Imperial Stout for being a touch hot.

Mouthfeel is full, creamy, medium carbonation.

A world-class Imperial Stout for sure, so very rich and decadent. Can't wait to try some of the 2010 batch.

EDIT: By FAR my favorite non-barrel aged Imperial Stout. Just can't get enough of this magical brew. Numerous batches, numerous years at a variety of ages and they're all fantastic in their own way. Age certainly benefits this one as well and I can't wait to try some extended aging well beyond 2 years on this one.

3.21/5  rDev -23.9%

12oz bottle (cheers to IdrinkGas), warmed slightly from fridge temperature and poured into my Chimay goblet.

The beer pours absolute black, with a two finger dark coffee head. It quickly dissipates halfway and just sits at a finger in height for a long time. A little bit more lacing would have garnered Expedition Stout a five. The smell is of dark chocolate (good) and some black licorice (not as much). As long as the flavor pulls more from the former than the latter I think I'll still dig it. Well, I got my wish, but this beer is *very* rough around the edges. The dark chocolate overpowers the licorice, after an opening dollop of caramel, but there's a harsh graininess and a bitterness that I want to say comes from hops, but there's no accompanying hop flavor. I was ready to score the flavor lower, but it did smooth out some as the beer hit room temperatureIt's a shame too, because the mouthfeel on this beer is great, a chewy and luxurious body and carbonation that's just a tiny bit too high for my taste. The poor taste really hurts drinkability, but the beer gets some credit for effectively masking any alcohol. I'd never had Bell's beer that was less than top notch until Expedition Stout, but I'm glad I got to try and I'd like to try this beer with a few years on it to see if it smooths out.

4.12/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a motor oil black color. Has a slightly boozy aroma with moths of chocolate. Flavor is smooth, a little oaky and there is a presence of chocolate and malts. Overall a very solid stout. This could be drank any day of the week.

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

The poured out an opaque ink black with a huge brown head I had to sip to keep from spilling over the glass. Great retention and chunks of lace left decorating the glass as I consumed this. Aroma is thick with dark chocolate and roasty coffee as well as a touch of fruit and some other unidentifiables. I will have to try and figure out more with my other bottle. The flavor was similar with a strong chocolate taste and notes of roasted malt and espresso. Dark fruits were also in the mix as well as some earthy hops. The finish was a mixed of roasted malts, hop bitterness and a slight alcohol bit. Excellent all around flavor that I couldnÂ’t ask any more of. Mouthfeel is full and creamy. Damn good drinkability here. Great all around Russian Imperial Stout that is near the top of my favorites.

4.37/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured an opaque black, with a brown "head" (film), and sediment noticeable on bottom.

Smelled like burnt cherry wood - COMPLEX, with sweet chocolate, espresso, and other things I'm having trouble describing.

Dark chocolate reduction sauce, and just a touch of bitter hops.

Rich and velvetty mouthfeel. In moderation, this one is quite drinkable.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

02/11/14 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. A fine, fine brew. First nostril full is of a mild coffee. On the tongue it has a very pleasant bitterness from coffee & a mild chocolate. Steady, steady stuff. Sessionable plus.

3.25/5  rDev -23%

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated 10/2/16 into pint glass. Pours a very dark brown with a half-finger tan head. Initial impression is roasted grains, charred oak, chocolate, molasses, coffee - there is a bunch of stuff going on here! Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Carbonation is medium light - actually a little less carbonation would improve things, IMHO. Finish is smooth and chocolatey, with a hint of blackstrap molasses and dark chocolate. Alcohol is well hidden. Really good stuff.

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%

Finally a Bell's beer. Had to travel to Arizona to pick this beauty up. Couldn't age it long though. Poured into a snifter and I am met with a pure black ale and a beautiful brown fluffy head that quickly turns into a light layer. The aroma is very much chocolate with some heavy maple syrup in the background and some smoke, vanilla and caramel in the mix. Awesome stuff! The taste has a little bite to it with more chocolate coming through and a big smokey, coffee bean background to it. Almost like sucking on a coffee bean. Cigarette smoke-like aftertaste. A lot going on here. All good. Lightly carbonated but I was hoping for a smooth sip each time with all the explosions in the mouth going on.

Overall I must say this beat my expectations. I had to go to AZ to find this and I am happy I did. This beer packs a whallop in a 12 oz. pour and it makes me yearn for me. If all Bell's products are like this....I am beginning my quest.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into Hess truck glass at parents' house...

WOW. Pours jet black like old motor oil. Brutally viscous with an almost jelly-like milk chocolate-colored head with strength. Blown away - can't get better than this.

Don't know how they did this but it smells like BBQ in the smoker and cinnamon toast all at once. Sweet, roasted malt is still not unbalanced at all.

Deep, thick roasted, smoky, charred malt combines with sweet brown sugar to generate one of the best beer tastes I've ever experienced. Still blown away - amazing.

So, so warm on the mouth - a tinge of carbonation keeps it from getting heavy.

I could drink more of this than I probably should - it's heavy, but quite drinkable. Again, one of the best beers in any style if not the best I've ever had. Awesome.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to MuenchenerKindl for this one too

Bottle poured into a sniffer produced fingers worth of coco colored head that turned quickly to a skin coat of lace .it sat on top of a jet black body

Aromas of vinous fruit, fist time I really can say that but pretty mild aromas after that some toasted malts

Flavors here roasted malts and chocolate some raisins with a heavy bitter finish

Thick and creamy finishes with oily coating on the tongue

I don't know I think I had this bottle to early will have to revisit this one was bottled Nov 07 I've being drinking a lot of stouts lately and this is not one of the tops but not on the bottom either

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Bell's Expedition Stout from Bell's Brewery, Inc.