Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Style: American Imperial IPA

#263

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 3,680 | Ratings: 13,686

Look- a little bit hazy and a little bit juicy. Formed about a two inch head
Smell- absolutely exilirating. One of the best smelling beers I’ve had. Citrus, pine and a barrage of tropical bliss
Taste- a perfect balance of bitter and tropical with a bit of warming from the abv
Feel- I’d a classic west coast ipa perfected
Overall- a true world class beer. A shame you can only get it once a year

Outstanding. This is gold standard against which all other IPAs ought to be judged. The perfect balance of hoppy and bitter while not being too heavy. Founders Centennial (0/5) and this beer (5/5) represent two opposite ends of the IPA spectrum, stock up while you can.

Holy Toledo Batman!
Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Never heard of this and didn't know that it was only once annually.
Worth.Every.Penny.
This was truly a hoptasticalicious adventure!
Bright and hoppy, smooth as silk.
Instant love, a PERFECT IPA!
I would totally recommend this to anyone!
Yum!

Not really worth it @$18.00 a six pack of cans .

I will say its a unusual and interesting ipa.
There is even more flavor after a drink / sip and you Eehale through your nose that you will tast. Weird in a good and interesting eay.

2018 batch. Excellent! Brewed with honey, but not overly sweet. Leaves a really nice, kind-of-a-sticky-sweet aftertaste under the back of the tongue. I don't like overly sweet, or fruity brews. This did not disappoint. Drink straight outta the can. If I could actually find my snifter I would've used that. You will not be disappointed. Grab some while it's available.

Unconditionally so smooth. Iam a iipa man and indulge daily....so sad i can't get it year round. Absolutely put together perfectly. Any body disagrees aint true to the brew. Peace

Got this as an extra in a trade a while back. Always cracks me up when I get a top 250 as an extra! Anyway, this was very good. Glad to know that Bells is distributing to spots in the northeast now so I may luck into it on the shelf.

This is what got me into the IPAs and Double IPAs. My absolute favorite IPA, unfortunately, not available where I live, but I will always remember the taste and flavor! Love this brew and look forward to hunting it down and finding some more!

I was lucky enough to grab a sixer of hopslam on 1/28/16 from Crown Liquors in downtown Chicago. The beer was canned 1/21/16 and I tried my first on 1/29/16. Very smooth and balanced with sweet undertones presumably from the honey and bitter finish. Truly well constructed since I had no idea it was 10% ABV.

This has been hoppier in the past, but I'm going to let it slide this year. This is the only IPA that really delivers for me, aside from Palate Wrecker. If I could take this beer to bed, I'd divorce my sweet, MPDG wife and live happily ever after even if it means I don't get any more hand-knit orange socks. All jokes aside, (are they jokes, really?) this is pretty much my go-to, so it's a good thing my local beer spot has me on speed-dial and saved me 6 cases.
Fire is hot, ice is cold, Hopslam is IT.

Awesome! Just awesome. Best smelling beer I have tried. One of the best tasting to boot. Citrus, and especially grapefruit, to me, give this beer a fantastic aroma, and leaves a more than pleasant taste on the palette. Most likely due to the added honey, the bit of sweetness balances the bitterness well. Fantastic beer.

When I read "made with honey" I expected a sweet, heavy drink. What I got was a well rounded crisp flavor that was light on the tongue. The honey accented the hops exquisitely creating a balanced flavor with a nice slightly sweet, citrus flavor, without an overpowering after taste.

Hands down one of my top 5 favorite beers. Not necessarily a huge fan of X2 IPA's but this double will always be at the top of my list. Beautiful and rich in it's golden color with an aroma hand crafted in hop heaven. The honey in this beer is what makes it so memorable. Very well balanced in it's citrus notes and definitely not as strong as it's percentage hints that it should be. Not such a popular beer in the south, but when it is around it never lasts long. Another score for Bells Brewery!

Probably the best DIPA that I've tried so far. It is a crime that this beer is only seasonal and very limited. Hopslam is a pure hop joy! Because that it is limited and seasonal you'll probably would only drink it super fresh. All other DIPAs should be judged by this one.

Canned 1/17/17, sampled 1/26/17. Pours a slightly hazy light orange, with a substantial white head that leaves lots of lacing. Aromas and flavors of pine and citrus are balanced perfectly by a solid malt presence, which is subtly caramelly and sweet. Good mouthfeel for the style, not too thin. Pleasantly bitter, no alcohol bite despite the high ABV, clean finish without any lingering sweetness. Insanely delicious and drinkable. Don't expect a palate-destroying hop bomb and appreciate this for the outstanding DIPA that it is.

Initially rated the 2015 Release at 4.56, and that was the first time I had it. Wanted to re-rate and review it, as I am really enjoying this years more than last. Perhaps it is because I'm heavier into stout season this year and this is a welcome relief to my palate, perhaps it's cans vs. bottles, or perhaps it really is just that outstanding. I had two six packs, both canned on 1/21/16. Much better when poured into proper glassware – a Hopslam snifter that I got last week in anticipation. Pouring it opens it up, softens it, but most importantly, allows the juiciness to step forward. Golden orange and cloudy, strong carb and lacing. Beautifully strong hop nose. I opened and poured the first one the day I got it home and the hops hit me from two feet away. Incredibly well balanced. Hoppy and bitter, but plenty of citrus zest follows with the accompanying sweetness of the honey. Mouth filling creamy feel. Extremely well done. I will miss you, giant hop. See you next year.

Yet another edit-after drinking the 2017 edition, I love this beer even more. I'm just going to have to bump it up to a five. It is that good.

This is my second year drinking Hopslam. About time I did a review.
Poured into a snifter.
A - Pours an opaque orange with a thick white foamy head. Settles to a solid ring and broken up cap.
S - The aroma is all citrus, like tangerine.
T - The flavor is wonderfully balanced. It's bready and mango/citus and a bit of bitterness. The honey adds sweetness and may be the key to its unique flavor. And you can feel the ABV in the first few sips.
M - Creamy is the word I would use. Carbonation is medium.
O - This is a very special beer and rates as one of the perfect beers in my opinion. That's right, if you look at my ratings, I have this up there with Heady and slightly better than Pliny.

Good gawd! Get dunked on by this hopslamming ale; the smell is of a hoppy meadow in the Elysian fields and the taste is similar to a bulldozer shoving a inordinate amount of pines citrus hops and a motley of other refreshing ingredients onto your palate where they accommodate one another instead of duking it out.

While this is an excellent tasting beer from the bottle, it is enhanced by drinking it from the glass to capture the aromas. The scent and smell of this beer coupled with it's hoppy yet smooth taste, makes this beer both delicious and enjoyable. Highly recommend!

This is the one beer you want in the "desert island" scenario, if you like HOPS. Caps lock is on for H-O-P-S as the grapefruit flavor is only rivaled by Fresca or an actual grapefruit. It is between the eyes HOPS and it trounces other hoppy brews.
It's a sweet Double IPA, but the sugars are perfect balanced to bring the hoppy character under control.
One caveat: at 10% ABV, this one can topple giants. This was the second time I have tried it and it's worth $3 a bottle.
Hats off to the team at Bell's. They have given me hope for every new year.

Finally reviewing to back up my rating. This beer pours a fairly hazy orange with a large head. The aroma features grapefruit peel, tangerine peel, pineapple, mango, and a bit of caramel and salt. The flavor lead with a blast tangerine peel, followed by just a touch of honey sweetness, and background notes of pineapple, guava, and mango. The mouthfeel is full and very fizzy. Overall this is a sensation beer. My love for it may be irrational, but I do not care. Yum.

What can I say about, Hopslam that hasn't been said before? This beer is amazing!!! I've tried; 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 & I must say that 2014 is the best! It has a huge mouth feel without all the bitterness. The hops are huge, the citrus flavor is there & it's a huge DIPA!!! I LOVE the Oracle but Hopslam is hands down one of, if not the BEST DIPA's out there!!!

I had to review this beer after trying it for the first time because I am not a hoppy beer/IPA guy but was blown away by this superb beer! Tried it in a sampler and promptly ordered a whole one.

The color was almost orange in hue, with a slight head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was fantastic! I could tell by the smell that I was in for a treat, because it wasn't overpowering in the typical way that very hoppy beers are to me, but instead gave amazing floral and citrus notes. Mouthfeel was substantial compared to a regular IPA, and I liked the body and slight malty sweetness, which quickly gave way to the hops. Whatever combo they use was enough to convert me, because it was intense and complex without the harshness of most beers with that much hops. I'm guessing a lot of late additions and dry hops. You'd also never guess this was 10% ABV. I never order IPAs or DIPAs, but from now on, when I see this on tap, that's probably what I'll get.

This was bottled in January 2013.

A- nice orange color, small white head that doesn't last long. Just beautiful orange, what a beer should look like.

S- even with the age on it the hops are still forward. Citrus and pine, fresh orange peel, a little honey at the end, but pretty much all hops, great!

T- follows the nose, big hops, big orange peel flavor, citrus and piney notes, big grapefruit, not as bitter as it was when I had it fresh but still bitter enough, this beer is just as good with a little age on it. The honey is there but really doesn't do too much besides create a great balance with the strong hops.

M- very smooth, medium body on it, goes down nice.

O- just a great brew, you really can't do any better. This is a two hearted ale (one of my favorite beers) on steroids. Just so well balanced and huge huge hops, which I love!

Best beer ever. I look forward to its release every year. A little limited in the Philly market if you want a whole case. Shangy's in Emaus always gets it, but it's first come first serve and sells out in one day. How long do these comments need to be?

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store