Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Ratings: 13,355 |  Reviews: 3,599
4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Thnx Kev!! Saw the bottle leftover in my fridge and had to make sure it was left behind on purpose. In my opinion, a bit overhyped. Doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a solid dbl. just took my last sip and that 10% just became ever so evident. Worth the try if you can find. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

This is a great beer! Hopped to the MAX. It was recommended to me by one of my beer loving customers who knows I love hoppy, high ABV brews. It is a bit on the pricey side but I have to admit, it is worth it. In fact I recently bought a hoppy homebrew kit to replace my purchase of this fine brew since the local store is now out of stock.
(Bummer is that its only a seasonally spring brew.)
If you like that amazing bitter hops flavor this is your beer too.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

My first HopSlam, starting off what should be a pretty crazy weekend. Received 2 of these and many Surly goodies from a trade with surlytwinsfan, much thanks! This is batch 10100 which was bottled 1/5/11.

Pours glowing orange with very nice creamy white head, starts leaving lacing right away. Retains at a half finger.

The smell burst through upon cracking the cap. Pineapple and grapefruit, honey and caramel, all sprinkled with some sugar. Quite aromatic and probably 5 worthy at first, but seems to quickly lose strength.

Taste seems to differ a bit from the scent. Lots more of a pine/resin influence at work, still getting big pineapple, grapefruit and orange peel, and some tropical notes as well. I always wondered how the honey was integrated in this beer and it actually does seem to have a nice role, adding a nice flavor and subtle sweetness. Quite bitter but caramel malt does a good job of trying to balance it out.

Incredibly smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation seems to be on the low side, but it feels extremely light. Some booze noticeable but I'd say it's hidden for 10%.

A damn good DIPA. The smell beats out the taste for me, but for a 10% DIPA this is definitely among the smoothest, tastiest ones around. Happy to finally try this legendary beer and looking forward to my next one.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Now were talking. This is my kind of beer. It had a very rich color and I could immediately smell the hops when it was placed before me. For having such a high ABV I was concerned this might be sweeter than I like, but the people at Bell's have loaded up on the hop goodness!

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

A - A bright yet slightly hazy golden honey body...a big, fluffy white head that never really leaves...lacing sticks to the side of the glass in sheets

S - What a sweet, citrusy nose...big and bold grapefruit aromas with a touch of lemon and orange...an underlying sweetness is present

T - The citrus flavor is predominant in the flavor...once again big and bold grapefruit and lemon flavors...they are sweet and not at all bitter...the honey plays a big part as well...it really adds another level of sweetness...which I found became too sweet and took away from the citrus flavors

M - Medium bodied...sticky sweet with a great finish

D - I was able to finally consume a HopSlam...I found it to be very nice...great citrus flavors with an underlying sweetness...my only problem would be the 10% ABV...but watch out because it's dangerous enjoyable

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

ok so i finally had one, much more west coast style to me, very much alcohol in flavor and i know it was 10%, look was more of an amber, clear with a good head and retention, smell did not hit me over head, taste was clean not much citrus and was able to feel the honey presence. feel was a proper carbonation. i would have another sure, did not knock my socks off. was able to secure one can poured into a beer snifter.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Pours a hazy yellowish amber color. Provides a small white foam head with decent lazy.

S: The name is hopslam and the hops are predominant (shocking, I know). Lots of citrus hops with just a slight hint of malts. Complex and appealing.

T: A great combination of hops and malts. Hops are most prevalent, but there is a smooth sweet malt kick as well. Blended well together.

M: Leaves a nice dry hoppy finish on the palate.

D: A really high ABV keeps this from being a session obviously, but 2-3 in a sitting is more than doable.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Sampled this at the Eccentric back in May after partaking of several other offerings from Bell's; however, I'm thankful for the opportunity to try this as a standalone. Received this as a generous extra from bgramer (thanks Brendan). Batch 8277 printed on the bottle. Served in my Delirium Tremens tulip. Poured a hazy orange-gold with a one-inch loose head. Cap reduced to half its size within seconds before settling into a thin skim of foam and ringlets. Some strands of watery lacing adhered to the walls of the glass during the tasting. Scent off the cap pop was sweet; however, aromas in the glass yielded a predominantly floral hops nose, with a mead-like quality detectable in the background. Taste consistent with nose, with a very complex flavor profile; both sweet and bitter at the same time. Medium-bodied mouthfeel with a slightly viscous feeling and a light effervescence in the mouth. I'm generally not one for IPAs, but Hopslam is in a category all its own in my opinion.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Had from an 12 oz bottle that was a few months old.

A: Golden color with a little bit of a white head.

S: Lots of pine/grapefruit you can really smell the hops in this one

T: I got a lot of grapefruit and the honey balanced things out nicely. Even at over 2 months old this beer tasted great.

M: Medium body with a good bit of carbonation

Overall this is a great year and I cant wait until next years release to try it fresh.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Wow, this one is sooo damn good! Fresh grapefruity hops on the nose, with some malty goodness to balance it out.. I actually have had hoppy brews, but this one is so well balanced and drinkable. Pours a clear golden color with a thick head and nice lacing. Smells of pine nuts and grapefruit. I could drink 6 of these and lose my mind in a heartbeat. A hop lover's ecstasy!

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Received via a trade. Bottle date 12/29/2011. Enjoyed on 2/8/12. This isn't on tap at the brewery but I don't think a month after bottling is enough to really mess with my overall experience of this beer.

A: Golden, good clarity, light head and good carbonation.

S: Exciting, very fruity, complex, tropical fruit

T: Was expecting more based off of the smell. Lacked some of the fruitiness. Still tasted really good though. Grape, smooth hops.

M: Great Mouthfeel, light carbonation, Hops didn't kill any of the other flavors or malt presence, 10% ABV is hidden well.

O: Don't get me wrong this beer is Great. Doesn't live up to the hype it seems. My biggest Kudos to bells would be the balance of flavor and hiding the 10% without killing your mouth in bitterness. Flavor to me thought just tasted like a Sierra Nevada Torpedo extra IPA with more fruit and balanced with more Alcohol. Great beer but not worth trading for more.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours amber orange with a one finger head. Nose is pine and citrus. Taste is much the same with pineapple and orange being the dominant flavors. Feel is excellent, rich and full. Medium carb. Alcohol is hidden well. Overall, a very good DIPA. My first experience with Hopslam. Feel is where this brew excels. Though I'm not convinced it's worth the hype it receives given that IMO there are other DIPAs as good as this and more readily available.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Wonderful Orange color with a huge head.

S - This smells of slight florals and citrus all smashed together with HOPS !

T - Hops hops hops honey, hops hops and hops, citrus, hops.

M - Nice medium body, I like how thick this feels in the mouth, coats and sticks.

O - Fantastic brew, look forward to it every year !

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

I got this from Dunt in a BIF. It is honey gold in color with a 2 finger white head, lots of lace. The aroma is full of sweet juicy hops, honey, and pine. The taste is sweet pine with some grapefruit up front. The honey lends a very nice sweetness that balances out the hops. Hopslam is medium in body and very smooth, the alcohol is not noticeable. A very tasty DIPA.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

I was excited to find this on the shelves while I was visiting Minnesota, but though it is a tremendous DIPA, I'm not sure it's quite worth the hoopla. (Though I would still recommend tracking it down and trying it, if you can!)

It's plenty hoppy, but creates a good balance between bitter and sweet. A mouth full of citrus with some grapefruit and orange (unlike some previous reviewers, I didn't feel the grapefruit was overwhelmingly strong), the beer doesn't do a very good job of hiding the alcohol. I wouldn't call this a complex beer, but what is there is done really well. This beer is all about the hops, which is good since Bell's made some nice choices with their hop selection.

I really enjoyed this beer, and though it didn't blow my mind, it certainly could fight for a rank among the top 15 or so DIPAs on the market. Give it a try if you can.

Bottled October 2006, Sampled December 2006
Pours with a touch of yeast dustiness, but the beer is a lightly reddish hued, amber to copper color. It is topped by a frothy, almost two-finger thick, light tan colored head. The aroma is certainly quite hoppy; it is a mix of citrus, pine and even a more dank hop note similar to onions or perhaps even garlic. The hop aromatics are certainly an interesting mix. The predominant character is that of audaciously vibrant sweet citrus and exotic fruit aromas; notes of apricots, lychee, pineapple, candied orange peel, concentrated ruby-red-grapefruit, and other tropical fruit notes make up the dominant notes. Behind the upfront hop fruit though is a touch of more raw hop character; hints of pine, menthol and that onion-like almost garlic character lurk in the back ground, just enough to add a hint of complexity. Where is the malt? I couldn't tell you underneath all of the hops.

The taste is sweet with the fruity hop notes, in fact the sweet fruitiness just sticks around clinging to the palate even after the beer has left my mouth. The hop fruit notes are much the same as I noticed in the aroma, but here there is a touch of biting bitterness to add a touch of balance. You know it is a hop focused beer, when you need hop bitterness to balance other hop derived notes. The malt is buried here, playing only a supporting role, there is certainly enough malt to not allow the hops to be dominating and raw, but definitely not enough more my hop flagellated taste buds to notice. It has just enough mouthfeel / palate coating ability to help the dominant hop character along; I wouldn't say that this was a beer you wanted to pound, but it is dangerously quaffable.

The hop character here is so smooth & even soft (despite being amped up and loud overall); the brewer definitely took a heavy handed approach with smooth fruity hops like Simcoe and Amarillo when brewing this beer. The flavor does not have much, if anything, noticeable of the onion / garlic note that I experienced in the aroma, though perhaps there is a touch of it in the finish. Really the finish is dominated by a smooth, lingering bitterness that perhaps takes on a touch of mentholated pine. I really am a sucker for these smoothly fruity, over the top, one dimensional hop bombs. This is quite bitter, though I don't necessarily realize it most of the time. This is totally only comprises one dimension of the usual three that a beer can have (hop, malt and yeast), but it is so enjoyable in its expression of the hop.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Here we go, the Holy Grail of IPAs.

Pours a pale honey/straw color, crystal clear, with a big foamy off-white head that hang around and sticks like glue.

Pungent aroma, dominated by the bouquet of hops, with some grapefruit bitterness and a little spice in the middle, the honey winds its way through and pulls it all together.

First taste opens up surprisingly sweet, rich pale malt with the honey dead-center, some brown sugar, and the citrusy overtones again bringing grapefruit to mind and conjuring some esters. As the malty sweetness slides away, it leaves a big coating of hops that oozes over the tongue. I can't pick out specific varieties, but I'm sure there's a dozen. Balanced hops bouquet and some ABV vapors linger for a while, with the honey sort-of sneaking back in, leaves things a little sticky and the hops never completely fade.

Medium body with a sticky finish but balanced and mature enough that it goes down smooth and is surprisingly easy to drink. This didn't "kick me in the face" as much as I was expecting, but it sure doesn't disappoint, and is not for the faint-of-palate. An IPA connoisseur's dream. Yet again, Bells shows how high their quality standards really are with this gem of a beer.

Final thought: I'm glad this is limited release, because it is so good that it would be bad for my liver and wallet if it were available year-round.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store