Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

#157
4.2

Ratings: 13,401 |  Reviews: 3,609

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Amazing gratitude to Proteus93 ANDTilley4 for this.

normally when a beer is too hyped, i steer away from it. Thankfully, I did not follow my own tradition in this case. Hopslam is an amazing beer by all accounts regardless of style, yet I will continue from now on with regards to its origin.

Let's disregard the appearance, you have almost +100 reviews that can tell the same story. This beer taste wise is delicious. Enough said. Easy to drink, amazing to enjoy, you get the hoppy of an IPA and the mellow of honey in the same sip. For an American IPA I am impressed how balanced this is, almost to the point of disbelief as if those before me reviewed this in anticipative mock of me. I've read the other reviews and in this case i seriously agree, yummm.

Get it.

Tis the season right?

A: Clear sweet golden amber. Beautiful full white head on top, which seems to be sticking around for a bit.

S: Hops. Major Grapefruit scent in there. As well as some grassy notes, quite sweet smelling as well. Almost a carmel scent in the end.

T: Not nearly as sweet as the smell would lead you to believe. Quite aggressive hop flavor, strong and earthy. There is a bit of the caramel flavor in the end as well as a bite from the considerable amount of booze in this thing. As this warms a little bit, some more of the sweetness comes out, which I like a lot.

M: Slick, and slightly oily on the tongue. Carbonation is nice, if just a little much.

D: Good for sure, but the hops are a little more aggressive than I would like. Then again, I am not a hop head. This is a new style that I am really starting to enjoy, and unfortunately this is not my favorite take on the style. For the price, and all the hype I think I would rather have a DFH 90Min. (and yet I rated 90Min. lower.. odd isn't it?)

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Orange/gold in color, big white head. Tons of citrusy hop aroma with a touch of alcohol sweetness. The taste is pretty stellar, the name is pretty fitting, you get slammed with hops. I think the alcohol is too high to really enjoy much but to be this big its quite drinkable and not plagued with too much sweetness. Overall a great beer from Bell's but Two Hearted will always be my Bell's go to.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a golden honey with a subtle haze that clears with some warmth. Finger of white head comes with a vigorous pour. Decent, spotty lacing. Typical west coast IIPA on the nose - big on the citrus and mango, backed up with some pine and subtle malt support, more boozy than some. Leans more towards fruit on the tongue with less herbal/pine hop presence. Fades off into some soft booze notes, and a tiny sting on the back of the palate at the very end. Mouthfeel is as expected - medium everything. Appropriate for the style. Overall it’s a good double IPA. I wouldn’t say it’s worth the hype and the price but it’s good. EDIT: Just got a sixer with a 2/10 bottle date - a month fresher than the batch I reviewed initially. Much more interesting. The honey is a bit sweeter and better incorporated. I’ll adjust my numbers somewhat, but not too much because I don’t feel that any beer should suffer that much from 4 extra weeks in the bottle. I’d probably seek this out year after year if I was guaranteed the fresh stuff.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Poured a dark amber color with an active carbonation and rich head. I smelled hops as soon as the beer hit the glass. A very pungent and strong smell, not like many others (perhaps Ruination rivals this). Taste was even to me like a bomb of bitterness. Wow! Hits the pallette with crazy piney and grassy bitterness. Next you gte some sweetness trying to balance to frontal attack of the hops, but it doesn't last long. The hop taste lasts for many, I mean many minutes. Not for the faint of heart, or for those that don't crave this taste and sensation. Mouthfeel was very full and satisfying. Drinkability? Not sure I would drink more than one or two due to the intense flavors, but what an experience.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Pours cloudy orange-amber, with little head. Thin lacing down the glass. I am a bit concerned with this bottle since I've had this on tap and this ain't lookin the same.

S - Awesome hoppy, spicy aroma. Floral and citrus with pepper.

T - Nice hoppy presence, bitterness up front. Lingering bitterness almost that of a orange rind. A slight alcohol burn toward the end, hides the 10% well tho.

M - Medium body, smooth. Medium, but perfectly carbonated.

D - I could drink all night but the next day would hurt. Great beer tho.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured from bottle to snifter. Serving temp was about 53F.

A: Nice golden amber with a slight haze. Very nice off-white head.
S: Intense hop aroma. Definite citrus and can also pickup the honey.
T: Intensely hoppy, but was not overpowering. Very complex with citrus flavors (pineapple and grapefruit were most prominent). Slight sweetness, honey in nature, but not too much.
M: Hops do not linger around on the tongue, very smooth, but the citrus (especially the grapefruit) add the bitterness.
D: Highly drinkable for an IPA. Very smooth and complex flavors just make me want more of it. If you have never had an IPA, I think this would be a great first.

Highly recommend.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured a medium hazy copper hue with a one finger creamy white head. There was good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured an upfront sweet orange hop with accents of pine and pepper.

The taste consisted of an upfront spicy and resiny hop with a robust doughy malt. Some mild warming alcohol appeared at the finish.

The mouthfeel was full with a warm finish.

Overall a superior DIPA. Very drinkable considering the ABV. Thanks to czoch75.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

been on a big hop kick lately, and I am so glad this baby fell into my lap.

Poured a great golden color, almost copper. Nice frothy white head that disappeared to show some bad ass lacing.

Smells of citrus grapefruit, and lots of it. Smells hoppy as hell. Also picked up on the pine as well. Expecting more pine but I still love the grapefruit goodness

Taste was much like the smell. Hops bitch smackin' you in the face. Piney goodness blending well with a sweet honey taste.

Tangy mouthfeel. Makes me droool..

So glad I finally got a chance to try me some hopslam, not as good as Pliny but still damn good

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

A-Pale amber with 1 inch of eggshell white head. Leaves rings of foamy lacing.

S-Lots of honey and piney hops. A light biscuity malt presence.

T/M-The honey sweetness is well integrated, and plays nicely against the hop bitterness. Alternately piney and bitter hoppiness with a light biscuity/sweet malt character and an earthy honey sweetness in the finish. I wouldn't have ever guessed this was 10%ABV.

O-This is good stuff. One of the more balanced DIPAs, and the addition of honey is a welcome change of pace. Very good.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Into a pint glass, pours a deep gold, yellowed around the edges, carbonation floating around, a solid inch+ of fluffy, bubbly head, off white, with some great lacing, and lots of particulate matter floating around, probably the yeast. Mmmm, yeast.

Aroma is powerful, lots of fruity and floral hops here, piney leaf, some sweeter less citric fruits too, a very distinct mango in there. Pretty much, wwooowwww. Like, eyebrows fly off type wwooowwww.... Taste is pretty much same story. Hop hop hop hop hop. Hop. But not like "Hi, my name is Larry, and I'm a hop." More like, "We are the Army of Hopilantus, and we've come to blow you away!" Orange, grapefruit, pine, citrus, mango, oil, meanness, and even some swagger work their way across your tongue, and it likes it. At first, it slapped me across the face, cause I just wasn't ready for it. Now, I still think its a bit much, a little unbalanced, but hell, they were going for badass, and they got Sam L Jackson.

The mouth is just great, smooth, creamy, vibrant, carbonation, just right, long finish, bitterly bitterlo, bitterla. Yes. But its f'in pricy, understandably, and right high in alcohol, but lovely to drink. All in all, f yes, Bell's. Not the best DIPA in my book, but page two or three or so ain't so shabby.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Delicious and aromatic. Grapefruity but not intense

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear orange with a nice head and wonderful lace.
Fruity hop boquet in the nose, some sweetness pulling through.
The flavor is hops, juicy and big. Pineapple, citrus, pear, mead and malt all gather and dance on the palate. No alcohal bite until the very end. Sharp hop flavor but well done.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and semi-smooth.
Drinkability is dangerous, since this beer drinks so easily, yet is so powerful and flavorful. Reccommended if you are into alot of hop flavor.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Thnx Kev!! Saw the bottle leftover in my fridge and had to make sure it was left behind on purpose. In my opinion, a bit overhyped. Doesn't take away from the fact that it's still a solid dbl. just took my last sip and that 10% just became ever so evident. Worth the try if you can find. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

This is a great beer! Hopped to the MAX. It was recommended to me by one of my beer loving customers who knows I love hoppy, high ABV brews. It is a bit on the pricey side but I have to admit, it is worth it. In fact I recently bought a hoppy homebrew kit to replace my purchase of this fine brew since the local store is now out of stock.
(Bummer is that its only a seasonally spring brew.)
If you like that amazing bitter hops flavor this is your beer too.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

My first HopSlam, starting off what should be a pretty crazy weekend. Received 2 of these and many Surly goodies from a trade with surlytwinsfan, much thanks! This is batch 10100 which was bottled 1/5/11.

Pours glowing orange with very nice creamy white head, starts leaving lacing right away. Retains at a half finger.

The smell burst through upon cracking the cap. Pineapple and grapefruit, honey and caramel, all sprinkled with some sugar. Quite aromatic and probably 5 worthy at first, but seems to quickly lose strength.

Taste seems to differ a bit from the scent. Lots more of a pine/resin influence at work, still getting big pineapple, grapefruit and orange peel, and some tropical notes as well. I always wondered how the honey was integrated in this beer and it actually does seem to have a nice role, adding a nice flavor and subtle sweetness. Quite bitter but caramel malt does a good job of trying to balance it out.

Incredibly smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Carbonation seems to be on the low side, but it feels extremely light. Some booze noticeable but I'd say it's hidden for 10%.

A damn good DIPA. The smell beats out the taste for me, but for a 10% DIPA this is definitely among the smoothest, tastiest ones around. Happy to finally try this legendary beer and looking forward to my next one.

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

Now were talking. This is my kind of beer. It had a very rich color and I could immediately smell the hops when it was placed before me. For having such a high ABV I was concerned this might be sweeter than I like, but the people at Bell's have loaded up on the hop goodness!

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%

A - A bright yet slightly hazy golden honey body...a big, fluffy white head that never really leaves...lacing sticks to the side of the glass in sheets

S - What a sweet, citrusy nose...big and bold grapefruit aromas with a touch of lemon and orange...an underlying sweetness is present

T - The citrus flavor is predominant in the flavor...once again big and bold grapefruit and lemon flavors...they are sweet and not at all bitter...the honey plays a big part as well...it really adds another level of sweetness...which I found became too sweet and took away from the citrus flavors

M - Medium bodied...sticky sweet with a great finish

D - I was able to finally consume a HopSlam...I found it to be very nice...great citrus flavors with an underlying sweetness...my only problem would be the 10% ABV...but watch out because it's dangerous enjoyable

4.2/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

ok so i finally had one, much more west coast style to me, very much alcohol in flavor and i know it was 10%, look was more of an amber, clear with a good head and retention, smell did not hit me over head, taste was clean not much citrus and was able to feel the honey presence. feel was a proper carbonation. i would have another sure, did not knock my socks off. was able to secure one can poured into a beer snifter.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store