Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Reviews: 3,444 | Ratings: 12,625
4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

At the Blue Door Pub, poured into a Bell's tulip.

A- apricot with a frothy white head that leaves a sticky white lacing.

S- Pineapple dominates the nose on this beast. Orange peel and a pine smell linger in the background.

T- again, pineapple dominates. It fades away, though, leaving a bitter pine with a perfectly-balanced orange peel at the finish.

M- A perfectly correographed dance of carbonation and medium thickness.

O- I wish this was available year-round! I try to drown myself in other brews during the interim each year, just to try to forget how much I miss this beer. For now, I will enjoy it as often as possible.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Had on the Firkin at the Bell's Eccentric Cafe.

Nice color, spot on for the style. Nice head. Big, juicy hop aroma.... So good. The taste was clean, fresh hop flavor. Bitter but sweet. Excellent. Slight alcohol warmth as the beer warmed. Great beer, seek out if possible. Great on cask, butter smooth.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Picked up a couple of sixers at Total Wine and More yesterday for $14.99. Also picked up two sixers at BevMo for $16.99.

Beer poured orange with a nice white head that is leaving lacing behind. Nose is perfect, totally perfumed by citrus hops, even halfway into the bottle! Taste is sweet, citrus hops greet you kindly with sweet honey lingering nicely in the background. Strong malt backbone blends in to keep things nicely balanced. Mouthfeel is silky smooth from the honey and malts, a full bodied brew that glides nicely across the palate. Drinkability is perfect, the high abv is well hidden. The honey makes this a sweet brew but also makes it dangerously drinkable! There has been a lot of chatter about this brew in the forums lately and i can definitely see why it is highly touted!

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Lightly golden colored. Good half inch head on top. good amount of lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Sweet, malty, citrusy, piney. This beer smells absolutely amazing.

T: Taste is exceptional. It starts out a little sweet and malty and then finishes w/ a bitter citrus piney taste. This beer is perfectly balanced. The taste of the honey comes through and helps to blend all of the flavors through perfectly.

M: Medium body. A little creamy feeling.

D: Very drinkable beer. At 10% and with a truckload of hops this beer will knock you out if you drink too many though. I saw it happen last night.

Bottom Line: This is one special brew. I think it is my new favorite DIPA. I was scared it wouldn't live up to the hype but i can certaintly say that it does and possibly surpasses it. If you can get your hands on this beer definitely pick up a case while supplies last. It's worth every penny even at 60 dollars a case. You won't be disappointed.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this beer on tap at the always impressive Common Market in Charlotte NC. The golden color is consistant with a beautiful white head that you just know is going to smell amazing.
No surprises here in the smell, just bliss. Super hoppy, very very floral. Notes of grapefruit, pine, and honey are brightly obvious. The smell is sweet and zesty with hops, can't wait for the taste!
The taste is so crisp and hoppy. The hops are very floral, sweet and not too bitter. This IPA doesn't numb up your tongue which I'm happy to report. The honey used in the wort cuts a lot of what would be very bitter flavorings and allows you to get all the flavor subtleness and clean floral character. Finishes with a great honey malt sweetness that lingers in the top of your palate along with a fantastic but not overpowering hop crisp pine and grapefruit sharpness.
Huge fan of this beer, grab it while you can and get it off tap if you can find it!

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at Union Jacks HopSlam night. MY LORD.

A: Poured into a 10 oz or so tulip glass. Beautiful copper/orange with a good fingers worth of head. Fresh HopSlam is something to behold.

S: Full of grapefruit and bitter hops. Very sweet and super hoppy, full of citrus and grassy notes. Smell is outstanding.

T: Wham. Flavor bomb. Huge grapefruit presence with a very nice sweet note. Honey, citrus, grapefruit, lemon, some sort of banana sweetness. Never had anything like this. Hops are so prevalent, but not dominating. Sweetness smooths everything out.

M: Not too thin, a bit thick actually possibly from the sweetness. Burns and numbs the tongue just enough, malts calm it all down.

D: I could drink this beer all day and all night. The rep from Bells was at the bar, we talked to him for a bit and he bought the 4 of us another round as well as giving us glasses that were meant for the bar.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

On cask at The Bulldog NE.

Served in a Bell's Tulip a glowing golden orange with a thick creamy head of beige foam that retains until the last sip.

Huge hoppy, fruity sweet goodness in a glass. Lots of hops, citrus and some pine on the nose. Honey sweetness.

Just like the nose. Big fruity hop flavor all the way through. Nice amount of bitterness that is kept in check by some honey and malt sweetness. Nectar of the gods!

Initially the feel was perfect. Halfway through the glass, the carbonation just disappeared. Maybe it was getting to the end of the cask, but it was still fine. Just not as good as when I started the glass.

Overall, this is my favorite beer of all time. I can't get enough of it and was glad to finally be able to try it on cask. I really wish this beer was made year-round. One can dream can't they?

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Please mind this review as it will be more of a narrative then notes. Eighteen months ago, I would not go near an IPA, I couldn't stand them. Then one day I had A Lil' Sumpin Sumpin and my world change, something clicked. I can drink any IPA, for example, I now love Stone Ruination.
But I digress. When I tried Hopslam last year, it wasn't for me. This year is a completely different story. I Love this beer. The balance of all the hopes and a little sweetness is great. The aroma brings a smile to my face. The flavor gives a tingle to my loins. Every sip I take, I am happy that I have evolved to love hops!
I also had this on draft and it was pretty damn good too!

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a thick, murky amber with a short but tight orange-tinted off-white head that peels down slowly leaving sticky sheets of lacing.

S: Woah, loads of sweet citrus flavors -- almost smells like a wicked orange Tang. Some tangerine, butter shortening, orange rings, and tiny bit of pine. Underlying aromas are similarly sweet, and creamy akin cake shortening. The smell remains intense through the entire beer!

T: This is without a doubt the smoothest, most balanced, big IPA I've had to date. Rich and buttery malts up front with some sweet citrus, but these flavors implode down to a dry, piney finish that leaves your tastes buts with no question as to what kind of brew your drinking.

M: Smooth and silky with mild carbonation. Somewhat biscuity and rather palette coating. Quite enjoyable.

D: This is a huge find for me. This one really lives up to its hype. I think it's smoother than Pliny. Certainly a world class beer for its style. I have 5 left... Alcohol masked very well on the palette, but man does it creep up on you.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

On-tap at CK Diggs, served in a 10 oz snifter.

Apperance is a golden straw yellow that is very clear with little carbination. Not much of a head on this one, probably attributed to the pour by the tender as I have got quite a head from all bottles of Hopslam I've tried.

The smell is like citrus heaven. I really expected to be able to notice the 10% in the nose but this wasn't the case at all. I probably stuck my nose in the glass at least 5 times before I even took my first sip.

The taste is very citrusy and piney. The finish is quite smooth from the malts with a nice slight honey end. I only wish that this beer was a bit more unbalanced and the hops came through more, hence the 4.5

Even the slightest of sips and this monster is coating and walloping every taste bud on your tongue. Definitely full bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. The finish is quite long but also very gentle and ends with just a hint of honey that brings you back for more.

Overall on tap I could keep drinkin em as long as they would keep servin em. Hopslam is great in the bottle but it opens up so much more on tap and anyone who can get a chance to try it most definitely should.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: A deep golden color with light carbonation rising from the bottom. A medium white foamy head stuck around the edges for some time.

Smell: The hopp aroma hits me first followed by sweet grapefruit and a light malt.

Taste: Very complex. It begins like a grapefruit peel, a little bitter and earthy. It then gets more sweet but the slight sour taste lingers. The aftertaste stays with you for some time. Awesome.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: The carbonation and body are light. One of my favorite beers ever.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this about a week afte bottling And my God was is delicious. Tons of resin and citrus just the way a DIPA should be. This might be my favorite DIPA.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

On tap at the Eccentric Cafe.

Appearance: Pours a dark tangerine color with a solid white head. Good level retention and some nice lace stick. A bit hazy and unassuming considering how much of a hopped up, high ABV DIPA this is.

Smell: Such an elegant blend of hoppy goodness. Juicy grapefruit and pineapple, with orange and a bit of honey in the background.

Taste: This is truly what I have been looking for in a double IPA since I was introduced to the style. It is tough for me to tell when the honey really impacts the flavor, but there is a distinct pale malt sweetness at the beginning of the sip. This malt really frames the hop profile well. Juicy pineapple and grapefruit, along with some other smoothly blended citrusy fruits. Such a fantastic hop profile. Finishes clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel: It would be hard to hide the grainy hop feel and oil, but this is tied together so well. A nice creamy feel, with a fuller than medium body. Finishes clean, with just a touch of hop residue, and it leaves me longing for the next sip.

Drinkability: Having this on tap was absolutely mind blowing. The difference between having a fresh batch is remarkable. It is so difficult to enunciate the nuances that really push this beer over the top.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer pours an amber orange color with a small head that dissipates quickly. The smell is in your face HOPS! Also, pine and citrus with a huge grapefruit nose. The taste has huge citrus flavors - pinapple, orange and grapefruit with a touch of honey and alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel is smooth and coats the mouth with hop oil and has perfect carbonation. Drinkability is hindered only by the high alcohol content. Overall, My absolute favorite IPA. I could drink this all day if the alcohol and price were not so high.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

HopSlam? Ought to be called HotDamn!!!
Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A: It was like looking at a glass full of clover honey. Clear for the most part, with just a hint of cloudiness. Had about 1/2 inch of head which was nice, white, and thick. Beautifully laced the glass.

S: What can I say that hasn't already been said. Full of hops, pine, and sweet fruit. Just enough maltiness for balance. I could smell it the second I cracked it open. Hint of the alcohol, but not too much.

T: Just like it smells which is why it didn't disappoint. Almost no aftertaste with a smooth clean finish. Just as you take a sip, you get a hit of how floral this brew can be. I found tastebuds I didn't even know I had!

M: A bit thicker than I was hoping for, on the syrupy side. Not too much carbonation made it very comfortable, for lack of a better term.

D: So easy to drink, you forget just how much a six pack would cost! Still not sure just what I'd do to get ahold of some more....

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

The pale bronze colored body was very clear, and the head was small, which I'm sure was due to the alcoholic strength. The smell was a seductive mix of grapefruit, pine resin, and more grapefruit. The taste was very citric and juicy to the core, almost hard candy like in its sweetness until smacking you down with a spicy hop finish. The bitterness was quite low, but otherwise hops drove the show. Sticky texture and long spicy aftertaste made this an enjoyable beer, which was surprisingly approachable despite the double digit ABV. Bravo.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Bright, hazed golden with a white head that retains and laces fairly well considering the abv.

S - Pine hops up front with a honey, caramel sweetness backing it up. Pineapple and mangos come out as it warms a bit.

T - Substantial tropical fruit hop flavoring comes through up front with pineapple, with a rich honey malt backbone, and finishing with a blast of resinous pine hops. I'm not sure how this could really be improved in any way.

M - Close to a full body with ample carbonation. Smooth, creamy, slick mouthfeel with accumulating hop oils and honey coating the mouth.

D - Wow, I never even got a hint of the abv. The use and execution of the honey to create balance is both unique and performed perfectly. The hops provide an abundance of flavor and while the bitterness is there, it never becomes overwhelming. Absolutely lives up to the hype for me.

4.77/5  rDev +7.4%

A: HopSlam pours a slightly hazy tangerine-copper with a creamy ecru-colored head that sticks around a while, retains well, and leaves some nice lacing on the glass. Good appearance for a DIPA, but not a world-beater.

S: The aroma, however, is pretty awesome. The honey is detectable as a background element, but the main attractions are the juicy citrus and tropical fruit aromas that explode out of my glass.

T&M: Tons of tropical fruit, citrus, and slightly piney hop flavors here. Absolutely explosive flavor, even now in June. A delicate sweetness from the honey is what really masks the alcohol to me. The maltiness is lightly sweet and cookie-like, though it serves as a light background for the insane hop flavor. The finish is long, drying, and makes me salivate for more. Body is medium to full with a silky feel that's not syrupy or overly resinous and sticky. Very smooth feel.

D: By far the most drinkable DIPA I've had. In fact, this would be quaffable for a standard IPA. Despite its 10% ABV, this beer goes down incredibly easily. Hopslam satisfies hopheads, but will also likely convert many "non-believers" to the incredible potential of highly hopped beers.

Many thanks to mikereaser for allowing me to enjoy this incredible beer.

a: Clear copper color.
s: super floral and citrusy. Had hints of lemon, orange (not like gross orange like a winter beer but like the actual fruit orange)
t: Simply amazing. Perfect balance of citrus and hops. And the hops weren't bitter. They felt smooth and present.
M: Again, very smooth. I could swish it around and not have any negative feelings. The carbonation was also perfect: not too much not too little.

Overall quite possibly the best beer I've ever had. Super fruity with the hints of lemon and orange but also had the bitterness I love (and a smooth bitterness at that). This is the only beer I've ever ordered twice on the same night.

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Slightly hazy gold with abit of clarity. Thick off white head with the very heavy lacing.
Smells of fruits;pineapple, grapefruit, citrus. Get a good whiff of honey. Not as hoppy smelling as I thought it would be. Very nice.
Honey comes through in the taste and goes very well with the hop combo. Has a perfect sweetness.
Drinks smooth and creamy. Well carbonated. One could easily be fooled on the 10%abv.
Awesome beer. Not a overly hoppy beer at all. Well balanced and lived up to rep.

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

This was a great beer while it lasted... we got a very small keg at my local bar and loved every last minute of it... I won't get into the details as there are PLENTY of other reviews... however, I will say this: for 10%, it is ridiculously drinkable...

If you like hops, this one is for you... it is a delicious and super hoppy... you will also know that you just drank something that was more than a regular beer in alcoholic percentage... however, you want another... the taste is strong of citrus and hops (of course) and I couldn't help but want more...

Get this one every chance you get... equally good in the bottle as it is on tap...

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Smell- lovely aroma, crisp, hoppy and very floral and slight hints of pine and honey

Appearance- pours a beautiful deep golden-orange color, nice two finger foam head with lacing, looks like honey

Mouth Feel- perfectly balanced full-bodied mouth feel, goes down so smooth

Taste- starts off sweet like honey and as it goes down you get the hoppy bite, once again very well balanced

Overall- This beer has lived up to all of my expectations. Almost everything about this beer is perfect to me from the mouth feel to the taste. I will definitely be buying more of this in the future!

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Waited until I had it this year to review. This beer is as good if not better than I remember it.

Nice orange copper pour with a nice white head that sticks the whole way down.
Beautiful aroma's of grapefruit and other citrus.
Taste is great malt sweetness (carmel) and a great citrus hop punch that is extremely well balanced
Mouthfeel is perfect, smooth and juicy. leaves your mouth watering for more.

I want another...now!!!

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

I finally got my hands on one of these!

a - Carmel/Copper color. Pours a delicious 2 finger off white head. Very nice light lace.

s - Extreme floral sweet smell. Smell of grapefruit/citrus. Very fresh, clean and refreshing. With a slight burn to the nostrils.

t - First sip - starts with a bitter/sweet balance and then comes back with a bitter vengeance in the back of throat. This woke my taste buds with a bite. Also has mild alcohol taste. Very refreshing and complex.

m - Has a oily/med mouth feel. It really flows and rolls around the mouth.

d - Again this is not for the weak. If you like hoppy beers this is one that you need to try. To me this is a sipping beer that needs to appreciated for it very complex taste. Of course I would love to throw back 3 or 4. : )

4.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours beautifully with a nice very light colored head. Beautiful light orange color that accentuates the citrus and tropical fruit scent emanating from the glass. Orange, mango, grapefruit, pine...it's all there in the scent. The taste is HUGE and follows the scent. The mouth feel is very good though not as viscous as I had imagined it would be. This is a BRUISER in every sense of the word. Excellent. No wonder it get such rave reviews. Glad I stood in line and I am thankful for my 4 bottle allocation. I didn't think it possible that I would find an IPA that beat 2 Hearted for my taste. I just did. Outstanding effort by Bell.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.