Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Ratings: 13,041 |  Reviews: 3,529

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

4.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottled: 01/16/13. Drank 04/14/13

Golden orange colored beer. Nice white head. So-so retention, great lacing.

Aroma is nice, but not as hoppy as I imagine a fresher bottle would be. More to the malty side. Sweet, kinda hoppy aroma.

Same with the flavor. The beer is plenty bitter, but not as much hoppy flavor as I'm assuming a fresher bottle would have.

Medium bodied. Carbonation feels harsh when coupled with the bitterness. Dry, everlasting finish.

After looking for a while, I finally found a liquor store with a few bottles of this beer left in stock, so I bought one. This bottle is nearly three months old, I'm sure the hoppy flavor and aroma I was looking for was much more prominent two months ago. There's always next year.

1.75/5  rDev -60.5%

4.91/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance - Golden in color, medium thick head that doesn't linger, highly carbonated

Smell - Massive citrus hops, all types of hop smells really but citrus and floral dominate. A touch a sweet sugar smell as well from the honey

Taste - Wow! This beer is a force to be reckoned with. The massive hop flavor just wrecks the palate and dominates the whole mouth filling it with pineapple and grapefruit flavors. Then it is as if the beer reaches in and grabs your tongue and paints it with a layer of honey. The hops then wash down the back of your throat leaving a bitter finish but then the citrus works its way back up into your mouth and just sits waiting for you to take the next sip and start the ride all over again

Mouthfeel - The hop presence and carbonation and honey make this a very mouth coating DIPA. It almost sticks in your mouth and on your tongue anywhere it touches. Thick and rich are understatements.

Overall - This is without a doubt the best DIPA or IPA I have ever had. Even better than Pliny and Double Jack. It may not have the hop bill of Pliny or the intricacies of Double Jack, but the overall balance and experience makes it superior to them both and the use of honey in this beer is simply masterful. I could drink this beer every day and still not have enough. I don't know exactly what was in the Ambrosia that the Greek Gods were drinking, but I imagine it was something like this. Nectar of the Gods, indeed I have been Hopslammed

4.74/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A very special thank you to GAELIC for trading me the Hopslam. He also so sent me some other North Carolina Beers that I am looking forward to trying.

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into my NEBCO Gandhi Bot snifter.

A: Golden orange hue with about 2 fingers of worth of an almost white cap that subsides quickly with nice lacing.

S: Wonderfully inviting. Smellls of pine and citrus, begging me to take the first sip.

T / M : Biting and bitter, just like the bottle says. But in a good way. It is slightly sweet. Bitter and almost tannic and the bite and flavors stay on your palate for a long time. No clue that it is 10% abv.

O: One of the best DIPA out here IMHO. I guess I will be trading for more of this in the future as it is EXCELLENT. Or I could just go visit my friends in Pennsylvania a little more often.

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.