Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Reviews: 3,441 | Ratings: 12,594
4.97/5  rDev +11.9%

A: poured into a snifter and the color is a dark golden color with a very frothy creamy off white head with tight bubbles, it almost looks like the top of a root beer float, The lacing on the glass is so sticky and thick that i let it sit for a minute or two. I reached in with my finger and rubbed some off and it was almost like cotton candy on my finger..It appears to be sweet,sticky, nectar given to us only by the masters at Bells.

S: oh my lord! Pineapple,Mango skin,and a little bit of peach with a generous amount of alcohol on the back end to enhance these amazing aromas. I am picking up on the honey mixed with some sweet malty goodness that is just seducing me.

T: wow this is everything i hoped it would be and then some! Sweetness up front with bitterness int he middle and a tad bit of alcohol on the back end..The pineapple with the honey mixes together then the hops just smack you in the face.The simcoe hops shine though on this one and i am just amazed at each sip how delicious the beer really is. This is a close second to Heady Topper if not neck and neck...wow.

M: Medium body feel at first then the honey just make this beer coat your mouth giving it a sweet,sticky coating that just lasts forever..each drink blows me away.

O: In my opinion this is the second best DIPA in the world only to Heady and im still not sure if its neck and neck, this beer has the greatest mouth feel i have ever experienced in a beer..Just a superb brew and i cannot get enough of it! This is a pricey brew at 16.99$ a 6 pack but its worth it! One of the most enjoyable beers i have ever had..period.

This has got to be one of the most powerful beers that I have ever tasted. I tried a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (which is a beer that I enjoy) afterwards to compare and Hopslam made SI Celebration Ale seem/taste like a run of the mill Brown Ale. Hopslam is an amazing beer all the way around. The flavors are full and robust to say the least. I hope to drink some more this weekend at the Beer Dabbler in St. Paul, MN.

4.62/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing IPA times 2. Man does it ring home with a heavy hop hand and a creamy Finish. And it is another reason why Bell's is the rockingest micro in the middle of America.

A beautiful head upon a light amber color with the slightest of haze.

WOW the whiff of hops is amazing. Wow again.

This is a creamy IPA. I like that. smoothness is really well balanced with the hoppitude.

Alcoholic, but nice. Beautifully refreshing on a Friday night at home after the kids go to bed.

Drinkability. YES.

4.44/5  rDev 0%

Finally picked up one of these. Poured from a bottle. Pours a nice thick offwhite head. A dark golden color. The smell is just wonderful, sweet citrisy scent. First, taste of sweet hops, then a wonderfull hit hop. Then a bit of warming sensation of the alcohol. Mouthfell good not too thick for this kind of beer. Overall a smooth great tasting beer but it will be a while till I buy another.

3.11/5  rDev -30%

Had on tap at Bell's in Kalamazoo.

A: Looked about like you'd expect a DIPA to look, deep gold color, not a huge head on it, nor did the head stick around for very long. Minimal lacing.
S: Again, about like you'd expect; strong floral hop tones, very minimal malt, maybe a hint of juniper in there. Made me think of gin.
T: To be very honest, this just didn't do it for me. It hardly tasted like a DIPA in my opinion. I suppose to the beer's credit, the alcohol is very well hidden, but otherwise it just seemed like a run of the mill IPA. Started with a little malt, moved into a sweet hop range, and finished with some decent bitterness.
M: Fairly full, the bitterness definitely stuck around a bit.
D: Again, with the alcohol being fairly hidden, I would bet that you could put a couple of these down at a time. But for me, at $6 for a 12 oz. glass, just not worth it.

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

I stand corrected. I had this on tap two nights ago and was somewhat disappointed. Don't get me wrong - it was good, but not as good as I was expecting. The bottle, on the other hand, wow!

A: Nice honey amber with a good 2.5 inch white head with great lacing.

S: Hoppy goodness with a fair amount of honey sweetness coming through. Of course there is the appropriate ctirus.

T: Huge and hop heavy - this is what I was expecting! Nice hop bomb cut with honey and a very slight white pepper finish. Grapefruit as well.

M: The label is right - this is a bruiser. Velvety hop assault with a fine honey backbone. Decent carbonation.

D: 100% better than the tap. This is what I was expecting!

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Review from sometime in January or February 2011

D-d-d-d-d-damn this is a good beer

Appearance: Cloudy and hazy amber orange. Head is crazy and so is the retention. Lacing sticks to the cup

Smell: You can smell the honey bitterness right as you open the bottle. Sweet and tangy mmm---mmmm good. You already know youre getting into something amazing.

Taste: Huge DIPA. Citrusy, pine hops, did i mention citrusy. and that sweetness coming from the honey. Just a bit of malt to keep the beer balance. I can honestly say this is one of my favorite DIPA's if not my all time favorite. Definitely not overrated. Must try.

Mouthfeel: Thick and smooth mouthfeel. If it weren't for its alcohol I could drink this all day long. Seriously amazing beer. Slushes around your tongue ever so nicely.

Overall an amazing beer. Too bad it only comes around once a year. I saw a couple of bottles at my beer store recently but I dont know if I could drink it so old after elevating my standard for the beer so highly. It just wouldn't stand up to how it tastes fresh. might give it a try if i can't wait till next january.

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

Picked up a few cases of this today for trades and drinking!

Poured into a snifter

Pours an apple juice golden color with about one finger of head.

Smells amazing. Pineapples, hops, pine, orange, citrus everywhere.

Taste a lot like it smells. Tons of pineapple and a great hop profile. This beer really is just awesome. I would drink this year round if it was made.

Mouthfeel is just like an IPA should be

10% and you wouldnt think it had more than 4. Insanely drinkable and that is just awesome.

4.83/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours deep golden, almost a rich honey color. Hazy white head with staying power, and ample lacing sticks around for the entirety of the beer.

S: Sweet and hoppy. You know what you're going to taste when you smell this beer. I'd almost prefer it to be even stronger.

T: Wow. Huge hop flavor throughout, slightly sweet, bitter without being overpowering. Subtle honey notes bring out the complexity of the hops. It's unbelievable, getting even better as it warms slightly. So balanced, beautiful flavor. I don't know that I've had an IPA that I prefer to this.

M: Smooth and balanced. Hides the 10% ABV well, dangerously drinkable. My only note is that I'd like a hint more carbonation.

O: Stunning beer. Glad I was able to get my hands on some of this... I've now had it on tap, and I've got a few bottles. Easily one of the best I've ever had.

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Def all the hype! A nice head that is gone in a flash. Great aroma of pine, honey and citrus. oh so very smooth! Definitely a nice hoppy flavor but crisper than most. A with fantastic hint of honey. Definitely on of the best ales around. Can't wait to drink my 5L!

4.17/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poors a clear golden color
S: hops hops and more hops, very piney, almost cannabis like(Dank!!!)
T: very piney and earthy hop flavor, nice bitter bite that all but completely eliminates any booseyness
M: crisp nice carbonation its a shame this come out during winter i could defiantly see this as a spring beer
O: a definite must try, the priceis a little steep by worth it in the end

4.92/5  rDev +10.8%

12oz bottle poured into a open goblet.

This is truly an amazing beer. What can I say about it that has not already been said....

Well, the smell is absolutely divine. Mango, Citrus, melon, it smells a lot like a nice white wine. It's a great floral aroma, like no other you will find ina ny other beer.

Saying that the hops will bruise your tongue is true. It's a perfectly crisp bite. It's a very sharp hop taste that is complemented by the smell you get when you take a drink. The mouthfeel is very light and crisp.

It has a great finish and honestly, you don't feel like you're drinking a 10% ABV beer.

I think that's what sets this beer apart from any other. It's a double IPA but it drinks like a standard IPA. It's unique and I have not had any other beer that compares to it. Amazing and a must drink.

I had a six pack and managed to keep one for four years in my basement. The difference between a fresh one and an aged one is more than daylight and dark. It was a differnt beer altogether. A- poured with a steady hand it is a medium copper and clear as a bell. S- too many aromas to list. Hops are still present but greatly diminished. Lots of wine and meadlike aromas. Tons of pear and appley esters, a little yeast, malt flavor has been replaced by fruit and honey. T- same as aroma. Lots of honey, pear, apple, a little citris, some tropical fruit, white wine, virtualy no malt, mineraly yeasty, old and vinios. M- thin and wll attenuated with a pleasent med-low carbonation. Tiny champaign bubbles. D- I'd drink it till I die. A beer ment to be consumed fresh that just happens to become liquid magic after a few years rest.

4.5/5  rDev +1.4%

Ok, so I feel this beer is getting a mixed result. I love IPAs. I love double IPAs. I enjoy the easy drinkability, the flavor profile, and the hop characteristic of the style. This beer is far and away one of the top doubles I have ever tasted. The look is a dark amber color and the smell is citrus and pine. The taste... so this is where I have to pipe up. Some people hate the sweetness that the honey entails. I love it. It cancels out the bitterness that the hops bring but doesn't stop from the citrus profile that the hops in this double are known for. Again, I love it. It is not the double IPA that some might think it is. It is not hop forward like most in this style, but it adds another layer that most don't have. It is one of my favorites. The price point is a bit high but for a once a year release, I can't stop picking up a couple six packs. This is one fantastic beer. I can understand how some might hate the sweetness, but for me, this is a top 10 beer of all time easy.

4.18/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very good DIPA. Slightly malty taste but smooth for a 10% ABV.
Pour from a 12oz can to tulip glass

L - Hazy orange golden
A - grapefruit and honey
T - Honey, caramel flavors, and malty hops
F- medium body

4.57/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance - Hazy orange color. Fluffy white head that dissapates fairly quickly.

Aroma - Intense citrus aroma. I picked up quite a bit of grapefruit and pineapple.

Taste - Obviously a big hop flavor. Quite a bit of pine, grapefruit, and pineapple. Nice malt backbone to balance out the hops.

Mouth - Light to medium bodied with the same carbonation.

Drinkability - The beer is dangerously drinkable for 9.5%. Better watch out with this one cause it will creep up on you if you are not careful. One of the best Imperial IPA's out there in my opinion.

3.84/5  rDev -13.5%

12 oz bottle poured into Dog fish head IPA glass. bottled 2-2-15

A: orangey gold, clear with a small head that dissipates to almost nothing. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: resiny, and sweet.

T: more malts come through than expected. Bitterness started and then changes into the malty sweetness. Piney aftertaste that doesn't really linger.

M: medium body with medium carbonation.

O: good beer, that was not quite what I expected from a beer with the name HopSLAM. I expected a beer that was overpoweringly Hoppy that made my tastebuds melt. I didn't expect much malt to come through in this beer. The beer came through with a good hoppiness in the beginning with a strong maltiness at the end. After you swallow there the happiness returns, only in the aftertaste. It is def a pretty beer with the alcohol hidden well in the flavors. I am happy I stumbled upon this in the store but I would not go out of my way to hunt it down. Would definitely like to try it right out of the tap and a little more fresh to see if there is a bigger difference.

4.45/5  rDev +0.2%

Sweet Jeebus, I have been waiting for this stuff to come back since the day I ran out last year. I must remember not to share any with my roommates this time. Live and learn. Sometimes greed is permissable. So, how is the 'o8 batch? Let's begin. Pours burnt gold into the chalice. The head, while it is there, serves as a nice marshmallow contrast to the rich hues of the beer's body. Immeadiately I can smell this sucka'. A good foot and a half and it is still unmistakable and plain as day. Yup, this is the Hopslam I remember. Deep floral aromatics with a sweet underpining of succulant malt. And yeah, even the honey notes dance around. Ugh, just delicious. And I haven't even tasted it yet. Wow, the hops literally race all around the perimeter of the tongue with spicy, resinous pitchforks, prodding at the sides and back of my buds while the heavy malt body cooly slides down the middle of the mouth. The balance on this bottle of jet fuel is stunning. It's drinkability is surely many a mother's ruin. THough a raging 10% a.b.v. it is nowhere to be found. Mmmmm, must buy more. I wonder how much blood I need to sell on a weekly basis to keep this in the fridge while supplies last? If you just skipped down to the end of this review, the bottom line is this is GOOD. And if you don't like it, no problem. More for me to buy. Cheers.

4.28/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Samuel Smith pint glass. Bright clear golden orange, 1" frothy bone white head. Sticky spotty lacing remains along with a thick foamy cap of head. Aroma is sweet floral honey, earthy piney orangey citrus. Taste is outstanding, sweet floral honey up front, bitter grapefruit in the back, long bitter finish. Mouthfeel is smooth and full, finish is long and astringent. A glorious beer. So easy to drink if you love the hops.

4.75/5  rDev +7%

This beer poured copper color with a .5" head which thinned quickly. The smell is very nice with with fruitiness and some of alcohol. The taste is great with hints of grapefruit and orange. This is now my favorite high alcohol (10%) beer mainly because it hides the higher alcohol with the intense hop citrus flavor. This beer is very good!

3.92/5  rDev -11.7%

Received in a trade, Thanks Chris!

Bottled 12/29/11. Pours slightly hazy amber. A good pour reveals a medium head & releases great hoppy aroma. Still get a good amount of hops even 4 months post bottling. Can taste the booze on the finish but I'd imagine the hops would mask this when tasting fresh.

Overall a great drink, would love to try again hopefully fresher to compare. Definitely surprises at 10%!

3.93/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a hazy light copper with a thin white head. Lots and Lots of Hops in the aroma. Citrus and Floral with a slight pine undertone. Aroma carries over into the flavor with a nice malty sweetness that almost balances it out. This beer is still a little on the extreme hoppy side for me. Medium mouthfeel with a bitter finish.

3.7/5  rDev -16.7%

This beer pours a nice golden color and a generous head was exposed for such a high gravity beer. The honey comes right through with the sweetness that perfectly blends with probably the most grapefruity hop profile of them all. There is also some nice freshly cut rose notes to it. The aroma reminds that this is for hop heads, but in my opinion its more of a gateway drug for them. Its easy to drink due to the sweetness and only medium body which is due to the use of honey.
The taste is as expected. I wish there was a little more going on with the hop, malt interaction. Its too well calculated. The alcohol blends perfectly with the hop profile making it indistinguishable at a casual taste. The flavor of grapefruit and well hops are accented by a taste of lemon vodka. But the citrus fruits steal the show and the game is over. The finish is somewhat clean for the level of IBUs. There is some lasting bitterness that is a little unpolished.
The sweetness and the hops are too much to have more than a couple. The mouthfeel is nice though.
I like beer that is more multidimensional.

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Fresh bottle just picked up this morning.

Pours a deep gold color with a good three finger fluffy white head that stuck around for at least 15 minutes.

Aroma is fruity hops and a tinge of alcohol. Some nice floral hop aromas make their way through as well.

Taste, as might be expected, is hops hops hops. Mostly grapefruit hops up front fading to floral and last but not least, that nice hoppy tongue coating flavor. A little alcohol in the first sips fades as my tastebuds become numb to anything but hops. Worth noting that the lack of bitterness is a great catalyst for the enjoyment of hoppy flavors.

Fantastic dry mouthfeel.

Feels like I could drink a case in one night. Amazing.

4.2/5  rDev -5.4%

This thing is a huge citrusy bomb with crazy aromas right away. It pours a golden straw color.

Not overly bitter but tons of hop flavors and aromas. My kind of beer. Finishes with a hint of sweetness, probably from the honey, with a a long finish and a really rich mouthfeel for an IPA. Any bitterness that comes is lingering at the end.

I think this is a delicious IPA. It's really drinkable and has heavy hop aroma and flavor. But I paid $25 for a six pack....which is a little ridiculous.

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.