Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Ratings: 13,347 |  Reviews: 3,597
4.89/5  rDev +9.6%

Just picked up a case of this amazing brew. I got one six pack last year (it's a limited release) and loved every sip. When I went back to get more, it was gone!

The appearance is nothing to write home about--a little lighter than Bell's Two Hearted (another favorite of mine)--an attractive dark peach color with a small, cream head.

The beer smells amazing. As you pour it, wafts of spicy citrus make themselves known even at two feet's distance. Stick your nose into the glass and you're rewarded with a wonderful bouquet of candied grapefruit and orange. It is deep and intense. Bell's should make this beer into a scented candle.

This is when you realize it's gonna be good.

Taste is like biting into a sweet, juicy grapefruit. Unlike other hoppy beers, Hopslam has a strong malt backbone that balances out the bitterness of the hops. They are balanced in such a way that it not only hides the 10% ABV, but makes it extremely delicious!

Mouthfeel is not too thick and contributes positively to the drinkability. It feels only slightly thicker than the Two Hearted in my mouth.

The drinkabliity on this beer is off the charts. I would guess it 6-8% as opposed to 10. Most 10% beers have a substantial alcohol twang in the aftertaste but this has none. That fact, combined with it's deceiving mouthfeel, will always make you drink this brew too fast!

If you love hops you will absolutely fall in love with this beer and the great balance it achieves.

Batch 8283

Pours a very slightly hazed golden orange color with visible suspended (almost micro) particles. The loose 1" cream-colored head sit atop sparse and larger than m=normal carbonation bubbles. Sparse spatterings of lace and lace smudges.

This baby smells like a freshly opened can on DelMonte fruit cocktail from 1 foot away. As I draw the glass nearer, this first impression of smell is galvanized. Then there’s a sugar coated fresh lemon slice right below the fruit cocktail scent. I swirl my Sam Adams bulbous glass that emits powdered sugar and grapefruit scents all over the place. The malts are obviously up for the task to take on the awaited hop barrage that I suspect is to some next.

Just like the back label says...'biting and bitter' - yes it's very true. The tropical fruits I smelled at the beginning translate nicely in the taste with a well-balanced malt backbone that never steals the show in the least, but supplies enough bracing for the hops to conduct their well-coordinated trapeze act. There is an interesting vegetal component that's hard to put my finger on, but it reminds me of Brussels sprouts. Not in a bad way, just in an interesting kinda way. Hey, I happen to like Brussels sprouts (especially dilled!).

Mouthfeel is very kinetic and playful. The carbonation is fine with enough spritz factor to produce belches after 1/4 of a bottle. Medium bodied with a well-tuned flavorful finish.

Drinkability is very good. I most definitely would save room for 1 or 2 of these at the end of my session due to its hearty hop attack.

Overall a great double IPA that brings a neat vegetal slant to the show. The flavors are not the (soon to be) typical Dbl. IPA 'big grapefruit' and fusel alcohol that seem to be coming out of the woodwork these days. Bell's wasn't one of the first micros to brew a dbl. IPA, but it seems as if they were waiting for the market to get used to this big IPA frenzy, THEN introduce HopSlam and disrupt the blanket perception of what this stuff is really supposed to taste like. I guess I'm trying to say this is a very original, BALANCED but very bitter/hoppy IPA with world class written all over it. I really want to pair this with a rustic salmon and field greens salad.

4.54/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a hazy orange color with a tight bright white one finger cap on it. The head fades fairly quickly, but leaves decent spotty lacing on my imperial pint glass. It is actually a little clearer than Two-Hearted which I find a little surprising. I can smell this beer as I pour it. It smells like I have hop cones under my nose. Pink grapefruit and resinous pine hit my nose with the power of a Roy Jones Jr. punch. There is a decent smell of pineapple coming though as well. Fresh citrus fruit and a deep pine flavor hit your palate up-front with a dry sweetness finishing off the beer on the back of the mouth. There is some slight sweet malt coming to the palate, but is pushed around by the heavy hop flavors and takes a back seat in the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is very smooth and medium bodied. The high carbonation leaves a very dry sensation on your tongue. The drinkability is a little hampered by the high ABV and dry sensation, but is very high for just a beer or two.

4.12/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz bottle. Pours golden orange with a 1 cm off white head that is mostly diminishing. Aroma is brutally strong, piney and a little citrus. Initial flavor is balanced between the sweet malts and hugely bitter hops. Flavor of grapefruit is what i get the most of. Aftertaste is very dry from all the hops. Light to medium mouthfeel, almost no lacing, almost no carbonation, and the alcohol is well hidden. Very drinkable if you are a hophead, but for the rest of us its still worth a try.

4.97/5  rDev +11.4%

yum yum yum yum yummy

A-- looks like a very nice ipa similar to bells two hearted..but man did they up somethin here as the lace is stickier and it is a bit hazier than their two heart

S-- freaking awesome citrusy hops dominate the smell of this beer.. also has piney notes that are hard to detect and some nice sweet candy type smell that i cant figure out yet..

T-- so ridiculously good i almost busted in my pants...first sip you cant help byut say "WOW" nicely balanced grapefruit/pineapple taste runs the first few sips...immediatly followed by some amazing bitterness that seems to play on balancing bittering hops with flavoring hops in the most amazing way...like they used two hops to counteract eachother to balance this beer instead of malts/hops...BELLS DOES IT AGAIN!!!

M-- almost unbelieveably smooth...'almost' coats the mouth but the bitter/drying finish pulls the coating out of your mouth...perfect IMHO..

D-- i wish i could drink this bad boy all day long..i wanna wake up to it and go to sleep with it...but at around 10 percent it whoops your but pretty fast.. so take it easy or you might hurt yourself or even your taste buds will end up bruised...

4.89/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into Bell's glass, and while pouring I smell a strong bouquet of grapefruit. I suspect it's just in my imagination, and glance over at the half grapefruit on the other counter. The grapefruit is embarrassed. It's all about the nose on this one. HOPS!

I love big beers, but more RIS than double IPAs--with IPA, I usually prefer singles to doubles, as doubles often seem like over-hopped singles so hopped up they taste like nothing. Not so with this one. This is a special beer. I have eleven more to confirm this, thankfully.

Just to clarify, "drinkability" is the subjective appeal of a beer, not to be mistaken for "chuggability." One of these is plenty, but I love drinking this outstanding beer. Wow!

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

After some controversy over those who love and rate "big beers," I'm attempting to think about this beer more objectively both within the style and among other beer in general. It's so hard when you love a beer like this one so much!

Pours an attractive clear deep golden-orange with a small head that sits mostly as patchy bubbles. Some tight carbonation continues to rise in streams to the surface.

Has a clean hop-driven nose full of big grapefruit and pine scents. Sweet smelling peach, mandarin orange, and pineapple fill out the bigness of the smell.

Taste is attacking with full on bitterness awash throughout the palate. The taste is somewhere between eating a pine cone and some juicy pieces of fruit, grapefruit, pineapple, etc. The taste is bright and bold from the beginning, with striking middle tones of lighter earthy grain and intense hops. Fills with fruit, then warms up at the finish with a bitter bite and some alcohol heat. Some balanced low end, but pretty submissive to the hop.

Sticky, but with an intense bitter hold and dry-washed finish. Dances on the tongue with hop oil and alcohol sort of swirling around, very nice if you like the style.

Extremely enjoyable and drinkable for the style, with a nice dry quality and intense hoppy, relatively balanced taste. Not so drinkable if you plan on consuming more than one or two, and definitely not if you don't like bitterness and hops.

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A-Pours a clear golden amber with a very small initial foamy head. the head sticks nicely to the side of the glass.

S-Fragrant hops, mostly pine and citrus.

T-Aggressively hopped but still very smooth. A strong grapefruit bitterness with a piney resin in the background. Finishes just a bit sweet to balance the bitterness.

M-Very nice, mild carbonation. The hop bitterness stays on the tongue, which I like.

D-Awesome. Obviously the high alcohol content requires caution but the alcohol is well hidden. A very easy drinking double IPA.

This beer is the current Holy Grail in PA, if not everywhere. I was thrilled to come across it at one of our favorite beer bars. It lives up to the high expectations!

4.57/5  rDev +2.5%

Acquired via trade from MuenchenerKindl
A- Pours a clear orange amber hue, three fingers of thick off-white foamy head that sustains, sticky lacing on the glass
S- Major hops, mostly pine resin and floral tones fleshed out by citrus and light grapefruit, caramel malts lurk in the background
T- Initial taste is moderate sweet piney hops intermixed with sweet citrus and caramel malts, some fruits and spices creep in, finishes bitter and oily
M- Medium-bodied, slick yet thin texture, mild carbonation
D- A great DIPA, balanced, flavorful, with extremely well-masked alcohol, there is a good deal of sweetness that keeps the hops in check, I wouldn't exactly put this is the 'hop bomb' category, but this DIPA can stand up in terms of flavor to some of my SoCal DIPA favorites

4.69/5  rDev +5.2%

Recently purchased a six-pack of this fine ale at the Liquor Barrel in Golden Valley, MN.

I'm a big fan of Bell's beers; Two Hearted Ale is my favorite beer of all time. So last year (OK, technically 2006) when I heard they were mass-producing a Double IPA, HopSlam was easily the most anticipated beer on my radar. It turned out to be one of those rare instances where the anticipation was surpassed by the experience. I didn't review it though. Now that it's back, I'm going to put it through it's paces.

Poured into the new Sam Adams Pint Glass. It's a dull orange, ever-so-slightly cloudy with about an inch of tight white cap. Medium-heavy lace after a couple minutes.

I could smell this beer all day. Just like its older brother, Two Hearted Ale, the smell alone is worth the money you pay. Heavy pineapple syrup, red grapefruit, with a little pinch of alcohol. Very little malt comes through to me, which is fine, since this fine creation is all about the hops.

Taste is exceptional. The hops step up and never leave. Again, I don't notice much malt other than a faint sweetness, which in a way makes this beer even more impressive. It manages to be ultra hoppy (as the name suggests) but not overly bitter. Not to sound too over-the-top, but I liken the malt here to the strings on a puppet - or rather the piece of wood that holds the strings on a puppet (I'm sure there's a name for it). You don't see it, but the puppet wouldn't shine with out it. Of course you need someone to control it. So, in that regard, Larry Bell is an artist. Anyway, you'll notice the heavy hops. There is pineapple up front and in back, and I'll agree with another reviewer that a definite apple/pear flavor shows up as well along with a blink of alcohol. Just marvelous flavor.

Nice heavy mouthfeel, not quite perfect, but darn close. A nice, sticky, hoppy film covers my tongue and soft palate.

Drinkability isn't perfect due to the high alcohol content and relatively heavy mouthfeel. Besides, I think you would do yourself a disservice by having more than two of these at a sitting. This is a beer to savor, not session imo.

Overall this is probably my favorite Double IPA. I've had a couple dozen different ones and this one might just take the cake. Highly, highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours with a slight haze , smallish head , some lacing.

Smell is grapefruity and hoppy.

Taste is fruity sweet . The hops do dominate , but I get an apple pear fruitiness. The aftertaste just about numbs my taste buds.

Mouthfeel is thick and sweet. Residual sweetness coats the mouth. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability suffers somewhat from high IBU's , sweetness and ABV , but it's an enjoyable beer.

4.71/5  rDev +5.6%

Orange amber is color small head quickly dissipates to foamy islands. Great aroma as soon as the bottle is opened. I had high hopes for this IPA and I am not at all disappointed. Tons of floral grapefruit hop aroma with taste to match. Nice malt backbone gives it a just right sweetness to support the hoppy bitterness. I think candied orange best describe the middle of the taste. Finish is very hoppy and bitter. This is my kind of IPA, massive aroma and taste, full mouthfeel. Great drinkability.

4.37/5  rDev -2%

12 oz 2008 bottle poured into a Duvel tulip, batch #8277, labeled as 10 % ABV

A: Very nice. Cloudy golden amber color. Very large, tight off white head with nice retention and lacing.
S: Very strong, fresh floral/piney, grapefruity smell. Slight touch of sweetness, perhaps the honey the bottle mentions.
T: Sweeter than I expect for a DIPA and I like it. Starts with sweet honey/grapefruit flavor and then hops take over and give it a nice dry, tart taste. Perhaps there could be more of a malt presence for balance, otherwise no complaints.
M: Medium bodied, some sips I think it might be bordering on being slightly thin however. Nice amount of carbonation and a very pleasant, dry, tart aftertaste.
D: For 10% abv did not taste any alcohol but certainly felt it as I drank the bottle. I may have served this a little too cool at first as the flavors became much stronger as the beer warmed (and became more enjoyable).

When I consider every aspect of this beer separately, they are all great but in the end I'm left feeling like it all doesn't quite add up for me and I can't place what it is. Somewhere in the finish and aftertaste I'm left with a thin/watery feeling that I can't place, hence the lower drinkability score. I'd love to try this on tap after my experience of liking two-hearted much better on tap than bottled

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased from Party Source, poured into a snifter. Batch 8278.

A: Pours a dark amber with decent visibility... appears clear but a little muddled. A solid finger of head forms in the snifter and the huge hops keep it up for quite a bit then rapidly dissapates to a thin skim. Head is just off white and very fluffy. Very nice looking lace throughout. Carbonation is very lively.

S: Huge hops. The most noticeable scent is a brilliant piny, spicy phenolic character. Big floral and citrus resin notes. Malts are just noticeable in a buttery, nutty scent.

T/M: Bitterness is manageable but lets you know it's there. Very piny/spicy with a nice phenolic bite. The pepper continues in the a dry hop leaf resin. Malts are more like an single IPA but still very flavorful with nice sweet bready and nutty flavors. Body is a tad above medium and carbonation is lively.

D: Very tasty and well worth the wait. I'm glad I have a case of this.

3.54/5  rDev -20.6%

A somewhat cloudy, brilliant orange color with minimal white head and above average lacing.

Only the faintest hop aroma peeks out from behind a yeasty, malty, almost doughy beer. I had this problem with Oberon recently and I hope it hasn't crossed over to Hopslam.

Nope, it hasn't. Luckily the hops translate into the taste beautifully. Big spicy start with a fair amount of grapefruit pith to the finish and a rounded sweet malt body sandwiched in between. Bitter aftertaste lingers with an underlying candy sweetness vaguely reminiscent of marshmallows.

Solid body with biting but not overdone carbonation. Hop resin is detectable but is still acceptable for a brew with this type of IBUs. Delicious but the tongue-punishing hop level limits the drinkability. Not sure this lives up to the hype but I'm glad to see Bells notching up a big beer that doesn't fall under the stout banner.

4.92/5  rDev +10.3%

L:A nice bright orange that is very cloudy. Very small birght white head that disapears immediately.
S:Yummy sinky resiny pine needle grapefruit hops. I pick up a faint orange smell
T:Sweet candied oranges in the middle that stick around. Fiarly pungent grapefruit citrus through out.
M:Bright fizzz but with a very round filling feeling.
D: Awesome brew. Fresh is the way to go with this bad boy. I will also enjoy laying one down to see what happens.

4.19/5  rDev -6.1%

Bought with much anticipation on 1/12/2008. Upon pouring notice that this years batch seemed a bit thin compared to 2007 batch.

Nose- had the usual grapefruit, piney goodness.

Taste- heavy duty D-IPA not quite as balanced as I remember wonderful citrus but alcohol seems a little more pronounced.

Mouth feel- average, not quite as viscous as 2007 and that isn't a good thing.

The lacing or legs that the beer presented last year are also missing.

All in all HopSlam 08 is very good but the bar was set so high that it does not measure up to last years offering. I expected the same beer Bells offered up last year and that did not happen. This version is thinner and not as well balanced so whatever alterations were made to the recipe should be corrected because it isn't as good as the first release and that is a shame.

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Slightly cloudy orange color, head is a creamy white.

S: Starts with a light grapefruit smell, leading into piney.

T: Very nice hop flavor, more of an alcohol taste than last years release. Could be a bit 'smoother'. Either I got used to the alcohol or it evaporated over time.

M: Medium body, IMHO appropriate for a DIPA.

D: Not a session beer; too much alcohol for more than a couple.

Batch 8278 purchased 01/11/2008.

4.69/5  rDev +5.2%

Wow. That's all I have to say about this one.

2008 batch. I just bought this today.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip. Golden orange color. A little hazey. About a one finger, off-white, fluffy head.

S - One of the best smelling beers I've ever had. The hop aroma is amazing. Has a nice citrusy, grapefruit smell.

T - Starts out with a sweet malty citrus taste and ends with a nice bitter hop kick. Has a slight alcohol burn. Just enough to remind you of the 10% alcohol, but definately not overpowering. The hop flavor stays on the tongue for a while, which is quite nice.

M - The mouthfeel is thick but that's expected. Carbonation is just right, not too much and not too little.

D - Incredibly drinkable. If it weren't for the ABV, I could drink this all night. However, I wouldn't recommend more than a 2 of these in night.

I had been waiting for this release for a while now and it was well worth the wait. The case I bought may not last very long.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy amber color with a 1 finger slightly fluffy white head.

S: Lots of piny and citrusy hops on the forefront here.

T: Lots of grapefruit and citrus hops with some piny hops. Caramel sort of sweetness nicely backs this up. Bitterness at the end is nice as well and lasts for a bit. This is one of the few DIPAs not from the West Coast that can stand up in flavor to the best of the San Diego DIPAs. Nicely done.

M: Nice and rich with low to medium carbonation.

D: Very good.

Highly recommended. One very good DIPA.

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

Had this for the first time last winter, and am anziously awaiting it for their January?Feb realease.

Quite possibly the best smelling IPA I've had... certainly catch lots if spicy whiffs as you drink it...

The body is a beautiful rusty tone, featuring tiny hopleaf particle floaties, but not too much, just enough filtering...

I like this as much as DH 90 minute IPA, if not more... a great Bell's beer.

4.82/5  rDev +8.1%

The appearance of this brew was a foggy dark orange color with great head and decent lacing. Smell was a fruity bouquet of flowers. The most hoppiest smelling beer i've had. This was a mouthwatering, cheek puckering experience in a bottle. Nothing packs more hops than this thing. A little bitter, but in a terrific sort of way. Creamy kind of feeling. Probably one of the best beers ive ever had.

3.38/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to MuenchnerKindl for the sample

Pours a decent head with good retention. Pale orange color that is fairly cloudy.

Smell is of plum and grape. Hops do not attack the nose. I can smell some crystal and caramel malt, but overally the nose is weak. Slight perfumyness as the beer warms. Alcohol is strong on the smell.

Nice hoppy backbone to balance a nice rich maltiness. Hoppy astringenncy and alcohol astringency. way too boozy. Fruty plum and grapes come out as the beer warms.

Some alcohol astringency comes out, but the body of the beer is full and smooth.

A little astringent, but still good.

If this beer could be less boozy and warm it might be a lot better.

4.67/5  rDev +4.7%

January 2008, Batch #8277... I met Larry Bell a couple of weeks ago and let him know I've been waiting a year for this beer to come out again. So fresh hops aroma & taste... love this beer.

January 2007...This was the beer that got me hooked on IPA’s in general, let alone imperial/double. Got a case for my birthday and treasured it.
Only around a few months in winter will certainly build up anticipation for this beer year after year. This was my favorite IPA in general up until I met a serious homebrewer with some serious hop skills.

Flavors and alcohol nicely rounded together. Almost 10% ABV, 100+ IBU, can't beat that! :)

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

Sunset orange with a small white head of foam that dies gradually and is reinstated by a quick swirl of my tulip glass. This sample was served to me at the Spinnerstown Hotel in Spinnerstown (outside of Quakertown, PA) right by the haunted graveyard. This brew is very hoppy with a small malt backbone of caramel and spice in the background. The various American hops really shine through in the aroma of this beer and the taste holds true as well. A spicy, snappy, hoppy treat of a beer with a sweeter hop note up front and a bitter, resiny bite in the back. This one is kinda the balls. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and well served to repeated drinking which lends a great drinkability to this hoppy yet extremely refreshing and smooth brew...

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery - Eccentric Café & General Store