Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

4.2

firstprev| 13001-13025 | 13026-13050 | 13051-13075  | next → last
Ratings: 13,064 |  Reviews: 3,532
4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

Deep orange with some cloudiness, a nice head on top, about an inch thick, white. Smell is mostly floral, strong and distinct.

Flavour starts off floral, from the nose, and maintains a sort of sweet, hoppy tang, a unique aspect that I've never noticed in another IPA or DIPA...in retrospect, this might be the honey. Malts are definitely more present than in most beers of this style though, and do a very nice job of balancing out the strong hop profile. Near the end, some mild pine notes also become evident and some nice back of the tongue bitters arrive with the swallow. I really like this one a lot.

Mouthfeel, decent but not amazing for the style. I do expect a bit more in the way of hop aggression on the tongue, and Hopslam was somewhat gentle in that regard. The drinkability was flat out exceptional though, this is a very easy drinking beer for its depth and heaviness.

The bottom line: This is a damn fine beer and one of the best in its style that I have had. The hop profile is strong and also unique, and the beer is remarkably well balanced in flavour for being as big as it is. I never thought Bell's would be able to outdo their Two Hearted Ale, but I definitely think they have with this one...hopefully it becomes a regular seasonal offering!

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

Damn nice looking DIPA. A light copper/gold somewhat hard too see too the other side. Nice white frothy head of great length finally leaves some sticky scattered lace down the glass.

Awesome aromas abound. A smack in the face of piney sweet hops with hints of citrusy hops on the backside. A bit of lemon and grapefruit. Very fresh and fruity.

This is one of those DIPA's that I could sit and drink all day. Great flavor both in balance and complexity. A nice malt backbone is dominated by resiny piney hops, that lead into a grapefruit citrus long finish. There are some hints of alcohol both on the mid palate and in the chest but it does not deter me from wanting more and more.

The mouthfeel is what I expect from a grea DIPA. Medium non lingering or chunky. Just sweet bitter hops that fade and leave you wanting more. Did I mention this is easy drinking.

4.48/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance: Bright gold, good carbonation.

Smell: Citrus.

Taste: I was expecting a brutal hop assault, but was pleasantly surprised with the balance of this beer. Started with some sweetness then moved towards a resiny, grassy bitterness with less citrus than I thought there would be from the smell.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: Hides its strength well and doesn't leave your tongue numb after one bottle.

Going in, I thought this might be like Two-Hearted on steroids as far as bitterness, but this was a very well-balanced beer. It is hoppy, but is more balanced than many DIPAs. I know I'll get some more!

4.6/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Slightly hazy orange golden apperance with a decent white foam head. Good lacing inside the glass. Medium level of carbonation.

S: Holy Hop load! Lots of hops and citrus notes, with the everpresent element of pine. Some sweet sugary notes mixed in as well. Very much like Two-Hearted, but pumped up to the next level, so to speak.

T: I had trouble putting this one down. Bitter hop oils attack the mouth, with a mild, yet present buttery malt note. The hops continue their trek and bloom into a citrusy sweet finish with a hint of green pine. Wow. Very little indication of the higher ABV.

M: Medium to full bodied. Dense, yet not choking. Oily and a touch syrupy. Nice.

D: Dangerously good, even at 9.3% ABV. This one will creep up and whack you over the head with a hearty dose of alcohol. Watch out.

Notes: A very good hoppy ale. One of the best i've had. My only complaint is the crappy limited production. This really should have a longer production run, if not year round availablity. What can I say? Larry Bell has one of his biggest hits yet, and it's gonna be gone in no time! That pisses me off, but in a good way!

4.79/5  rDev +7.4%

Glad to get my grubby hands on this! Slight haze in a brassy orange body. Tight finger of dirty, off-white head. Nose is pure liquid hop flowers. It seriously smells like a freshly opened package of Simcoe/Centennial/??? flowers. Since I love this smell, I am in heaven right now. But, there's also a solid sugar honey malt background, along with some fruity alcohol. Bitter, acidic, hopslaught up front. Assaultive, but delicious. Hop burn stays, as sugary, tropical fruit malt swells and provides a hint of balance. The hint gets shrugged off by a dry, resinous, ganja-infused, bitter finish. My tongue is "bruised" but happy. Medium-body, with a mouth-lacquering feel. Dry finish. This stuff is good and worth the wait!

Wow!

The much anticipated release of Bells Hopslam finally came on 11/3/06.

The smell of fresh hops is uncomparable to any other Double IPA. The aroma fills the air once you start to pour this brew. It has a nice goden color with a lightly colored head. The taste is awsome. It starts calm with a super slamming hop finish towards the end. There is a hint of citrus flavor as well. I believe that the abv is closer to 10% rather than the listed 9.3%

I recommend this Double IPA to any hop head. Another great brew by Larry.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours with moderate head, beautiful lacing, color is straw-like with a hint of orange. Smells incredibly fresh, which it is of course. A cacophony of citrus aromas combine with a sprinkling of pine, and a sweet booziness.

Taste is dry for the style, which is a good thing for me. Grapefruit is the dominant flavor, the finish is clean and bitter. Mouthfeel is quite resinous, great drinkability as usual from Bell's.

4.37/5  rDev -2%

Always look forward to trying a new double IPA, especially when it's from Bell's. This beer poured a cloudy yellow color and formed a foamy white head the coated the glass with lace as it quickly subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, both citrus styles-orange and grapefruit pointing to more hops than the Two Hearted. The flavor was of hops, citrus orange and grapefruit with a hint of caramel. The finish on this beer is a bit astrigent and the hops bitterness figure heavily as well, while adding a slightly creamy body. Similar to other double IPAs, but definately has that Bell style to it. A great beer, but at the alcohol level and price per 6 pack, probably still drink more Two Hearted than this. For these styles, I really wish they would make four paks or use bombers.

4.27/5  rDev -4.3%

This exciting beverage emerged from the bottle with an attractive orange copper colour to it. A decent head of dusty white billowed early but fell to a layer of spitty skim in short time. Gobs of lace cling in the aftermath. The carbonation is moderate and persistent. This looks like a good one. Clear and clean as well.

The nose is rife with green hoppy aromatics. It reminds me of a couple of my favorites, but this one also carries with it a peculiar fruitiness that is hard for me to pin down. It could be apricot. It could be pear juice. It could be pink grapefruit. At any rate the nose is succulent. Grassy and herbal. Fruity. Pines. Resin. Sap. You can almost smell the dryness.

The taste is very nice. It is dry from the jump. Citrus flavours abound. I would surely say there is some grapefruit impression here, but the aforementioned fruit that I am so hard pressed to identify lends its presence to the mix as well. This is rather splendid. You have a profound dryness that is antagonized by this bizarre juiciness, and a bitterness that is totally deceptive and quite pleasant. This feels nearly anesthetic to my oropharynx and I think even my limbs are tingling with lupulin inluence as well. Hops are a drug. No doubt about it. The alcohol is almost completely obscured and it works so well in tandem with the hop properties. Anyone who says this style is boring and is lacking in complexity should try this beer. Every sip I taste flips the script on me. It is amazing.

The mouthfeel is smooth and comes in at a medium level. The flavours morph and twist making this thing a magic act in its own right.

The drinkability is easy for me. I live for a beer like this. A total sensory bludgeoning with precision and complexity. The feeling of well being that has settled upon me is wonderous. This is easily my favorite beer from Bell's. Is this going to be an annual release or a one off? Please, keep it coming! A great celebration ale. Call me immature and unrefined if you wish, but this beer needs to be felt.

4.57/5  rDev +2.5%

Kudos to Larry and the Bell's brewers. This is a great beer.

I blindly bought a case of this at the Bell's general store (as I love IPA's especially 2IPA). At $44 a case/$12 a 6er. I figured Bell's must know this is a good beer.

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle. Started clear, but quickly turned a clearish orange in color. Small head, which dissipated quickly.

Taste: at first a fruity taste hits yours tongue followed quickly by the bitterness you would expect from a DIPA. A little less harsh bitterness then I expected, but none-the-less it is present. As for the fruit taste, I cannot put my finger on it, as stated before, it could be grapefruit and apricot, but not sure. It sure is special.

Mouthfeel: As stated before, less harsh then most DIPAs, and quite smooth.

I will be enjoying this case and maybe a few more for many weeks.

GOOD WORK BELL'S!

4.32/5  rDev -3.1%

HopSlam started pouring into the tumbler crystal clear. As the last of the bottle emptied into the glass a yeast or sediment cloud formed, it had the appearance of an inverted lava lamp.
So, I’ll call it a cloudy burnt orange color with a frothy off-white head that fell to a cap. The lace began spotty, but as the beer warmed the coverage improved and remained thick and sticky. That was the first time I ever saw that happen.
The smell was green leafy hops, grapefruit citrus, sweet apricot fruitiness, sweet malts and a faint whiff of alcohol.
The taste began with a flash of sweetness that was overtaken by grapefruit citrus. This was immediately followed by hop bitterness and a citric acidity that seemed to numb the surface of my tongue. The fruity apricot made an appearance toward the end, with spicy, peppery alcohol and a dryness at the finish.
The body was medium plus, fine bubbles made up the moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel was slick, but somehow still smooth.
Another winner from Bell’s.
My numbers could have been a little higher for the mouthfeel, but I’m not sure about the numbness on my tongue.

4.17/5  rDev -6.5%

Tried this beer at Bell's, sounded intriguing. Have to echo what others have said, the stupid plastic cup they served it in really bothered me for some reason.

The smell of this was incredible -- very strong and sweet. Looked cloudy and orange-tan. Taste was hoppy, hoppy, and hoppier. I don't know why I expected any different from a beer named "Hop Slam!"

Very drinkable - I still prefer the Two Hearted for hop flavor but not overwhelmingly so. If you're a hop fan you'll love this beer!

I will certainly enjoy drinking this again, though.

4.72/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy, cloudy pale maber with yellowish tints. Only produces a small ring of white head but does throw some lace onto the glassware.
Aroma is hops, hops and more hops. Citrus and sweet pine hop aroma with some flowers, cut hay, resins and some bubblegum.
Flavor is light caramel and pale malt undercurrent with a serious ass infusion of hops and hop oil. Imagine Two-Hearted on steroids !
The last beer I had the night before this was Hop Wallop (great beer) and IMHO this one put it to shame on the IBU chart.
Mouthfeel actually starts with a sweet light citrus touch but then just absolutely slaughter of the tongue and tastebuds with a teeth numbing, eye watering bitterness. Not harsh in any sense, but very powerful. Actually left a somewhat sweet aftertaste as it finished with just a touch of an alcoholic hit.
Drinkability - I never thought I would say this about beer but its almost to hoppy, "almost" is key word. Absolutely overwhelming with the palate coating bitterness, but I still want more.

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Had a HopSlam on my trip to the HomePort.

Appearance - Similar to Two-Hearted but even cloudier. Rich white head that stay's with the beer throughout, even in the plastic cup they serve 16oz beers in. Aroma - a citrus-y orange-grapefruit. Taste - powerful hop domination bu believe it or not, the malt still weighs in. Creamy on the mouth, and perilously drinkable as the alcohol weighs in after the glass is gone. Has a taste profile similar to DFH 90 min, but has that more citrusy taste, as opposed to DFH's gin-like taste. Great stuff, hope they put this in the bottle for all the hopheads.

firstprev| 13001-13025 | 13026-13050 | 13051-13075  | next → last
Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 95.9% out of 100 with 13,064 ratings