Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

4.2

Ratings: 13,075 |  Reviews: 3,532

2.75/5  rDev -38.3%

4.5/5  rDev +0.9%

A: golden ale with a slight haze and white bubbly head that left some lace behind

S: powerful hop action - flowers and pine, citrus pith and sweet pale malt

T: grapefruit, stone fruit; pineapple, pine - brilliant hop aggression subdued with a rich malt bill and the sinuous use of honey

M: smooth and full, bitter but lush; soft fuzz of carbonation

O: worthy of its stature for sure

4.68/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle, dated 12/27/2013. Pours a beautiful opaque orange with a good head and moderate lacing. The smell is sweet with honey and there is some moderate citrus notes. The taste is sweet up front but really balances out with the hop bitterness. I get a good amount of the honey and then juicy grapefruit. The feel is smooth and there is minimal lingering bitterness for me. I also don't really notice any alcohol despite the ABV. Overall this is an excellent beer that does a great job balancing the hops and sweetness. I wish I had it on-tap or at least a fresher bottle, but this beer still does not disappoint.

4.52/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been eyeing this for some time on the BA top 250. The name jumps out at you so I've been eager to try this. Bell's just arrived in NY this week, but this is a hard one to get. Stores are telling me it's flying of the shelves, even with a 6 pack limit. It's name is catchy, and very accurate.

Poured a beautiful rich copper tone. Not much head but I do like me beer very cold. Little carbonation. Hoppy blast on the nose along with citrusy tones. Similar for the taste. Your usual DIPA culprits. The thing that makes this beer stand out it that it's very well smooth and balanced. I would have never pegged it for 10%. It's also not too bitter which I like. You get a nice blast of hops and a full mouthfeel. Very good beer. I guess with all the hype I was just hoping to get "Hopslammed" off my feet, but I came pretty close.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 4.46 out of 5 with 13,075 ratings