Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Ratings: 13,048 |  Reviews: 3,530

3.75/5  rDev -15.3%

4.34/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into my Spieglau IPA glass... Best Christmas gift ever. Thanks Sis!

A - Pours an clover-honey orange with a one-finger head that recedes quickly, leaving behind wispy lacing on the sides of the glass. Carbonation is visible, but sluggish, but as far as looks go, I'm excited to try it.

S - Vegetal hop notes rise out of the glass, tickling the sinuses. Hints of floral aromas emerge as the beer warms, making apparent that a decent amount of honey went into this beer. Wow.

T - Floral notes such as basil, jasmine, and fresh cut grass dance across the palate.
The bitterness you'd expect to be inherent in this beer takes a backseat to loads of herbs and citrus fruits, such as tangelo, mango and sweet pink grapefruit, as well as sage, lemon verbena, and WHITE basil. I could drink this beer every day, and not nail down all the nuances that lie in wait for my taste-buds.

M - Soapy, but smooth, and refreshing. The carbonation is prickly, but only helps to push the never-ending and mind-warping flavors of this beer across your tongue.

O - A damn fine effort from Bells, which I wish I could get my hands on more readily.
There just aren't enough words to describe how wonderful and insanely different from other beers in this category this beer is. Anyone have a decent clone recipe for this??? I already have a culture of Bells house yeast... Anyone? Either way, if you can find this beer, grab as much as you can, go straight home, and hoard it to yourself.
Cheers!!!!

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

There is one of the best beers in the world today. Unbelievable aroma. Citrus, pines and a touch of honey really have your palate craving it. For the amount of different hops it is made with, it is pretty unbelievable how smooth of a beer it is. Bell's Hopslam is simply one of the best beers in the world.

3.65/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

1-3-14 Batch side by side with the older one. I got these both in a trade, so I'm not saying that I have the world's most refined palette here or anything, I just picked the one that had the least amount of oxidation.
Poured into my badass Moonlight Brewing 12 oz. Pils glass.

A - Beautiful hazy orange color. Perfect finger bonewhite head that slowly dissipates, leaving a stubborn thin layer of foam. Lacing is perfect.

S - Here's where things are no longer perfect. Pine, citrus, tropical fruit hop aromas predominate, with a cereal sweetness. That's all fine and good; the problem is the alcohol: it's too present, and overpowers a lot of the subtle aromas I'd like in this beer.

T - Much the same as the smell: beautiful fruity hop notes, with a perfect complement of sweetness to balance it out. Same problem, though, with the alcohol. It's simply too present on the back end, and leaves for a less than optimal finish.

M - This is my biggest beef with the beer, but it's purely a matter of preference. Maybe it's a SoCal bias, but I like my IPAs and IIPAs bone dry. There is way too much body and residual sugar in this beer, to the point that the mouthfeel is almost chewy. This is precisely what I'm looking for in a stout, but not in an IPA. Once again, a lot of people clearly disagree, but that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

O - I'm glad I have more, don't get me wrong, but this beer did not live up to the hype in the way that other beers have. I'll hold off final judgment until I can try it fresh at the brewery, but, until then, I gotta say that I'll stick with my local beers that nobody seems to give a shit about (I'm looking at you, Swami's!)

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

While this is an excellent tasting beer from the bottle, it is enhanced by drinking it from the glass to capture the aromas. The scent and smell of this beer coupled with it's hoppy yet smooth taste, makes this beer both delicious and enjoyable. Highly recommend!

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Bottle to glass. Honey color with clumped lacing. Sweet honey floral, citrus and pine aromas. Taste is sweet up front and carries huge floral and citrus hop notes. The finish is long and bitter and a bit boozy/spicy but the bitterness is never overpowering. Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy with prickly carbonation. Getting Hopslammed is reminiscent of a sweeter, amped up Jai Alai. Goes down dangerously smooth.

Updated February 2015 with the January 2015 bottling:
Relative to what I remember and wrote last year, the hop flavor takes a back stage to the big honey sweetness. The floral and citrus flavors are overpowered by the sweet honey. It's still tasty but I liked when the big sweetness was balanced by the big hop flavors. There is an astringent aftertaste in the boozy finish. Downgrading my rating.

3.76/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: a deep orange color. fairly hazy and almost opaque. a small off white head that leaves a weak lacing

Smell: strong hoppiness. citrus and tropical, some hop resin as well. distinctly honey/crystal malt sweetness

Taste: sweet malts, resiny, piney, and citrusy hops. malts fill in the rest with crystal sweetness. no alcohol presence

Mouthfeel: bitter, lighter bodied but alcohol warmth

Overall: a good but not my favorite DIPA. not quite worth all the trouble that it takes to get it

4.15/5  rDev -6.3%

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.