Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

3.75/5  rDev -15.3%

4.75/5  rDev +7.2%

3.25/5  rDev -26.6%

4.57/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A - Wonderful as expected. Little less head, probably due to the higher abv.

S - Wonderful citrus. I could smell this all night.

T - Pretty hoppy. A little strong on the abv. I might have liked it a little lighter. Picked up more of the honey as it warmed up.

M - Thinner than I would have thought, but not bad at all.

O - Extremely solid IPA. Would drink this everyday if I could.

4.63/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark golden, cream colored head.

S: Very hoppy, sweet and almost citrusy.

T: Honey, sweet and bitter.

M: Has somewhat of a bite to it, it also has a very good aftertaste

O: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. It does cost about 17 or 18 dollars but it is definitely worth it and is a special occasion in itself. I'll definitely be buying more next year. Awesome quality of beer.

4.39/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle > Chimay Challice

A - Golden orange with a finger of white soapy head, nice medium lacing.
S - Huge honey and orange, some peach, grape, pine, grapefruit, sweet smelling malt.
T - Lots of honey and orange like the aroma, a little mango, some more classic pine and floral bitterness in the end, candy like malt.
M - Strong but still smooth because of the honey, well balanced for its power, a little sticky.
O - Excellent IPA, but lets be clear Its value exceeds its worth, its definitely a great IPA, but the price is too steep to justify a case of it anymore, heck even looking for a case is not worth the effort.
Also, I refused to review this beer last year because of how awful the 13 batch was. It was overly bitter and abrasive, tons of alcohol power and no honey. I'm glad 14 is a return to form, but the 2012 batch will remain my favorite of all time.

Edit: 2016 batch is extremely smooth this year, but still has an alcohol warmth, but definitely more juicy and smooth.

4.7/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Color is honey gold, and I can see some gossamer of unfiltered goodness in the center of the glass. This isn't the best tasting DIPA I've had, but it might crack the top 3. The charm for me is in the honey - it's such a great and unique spin. After my first bottle, I smelled the empty glass some time later and it smelled so much of honey. It's really present in the flavor as well, it's great. I can just barely detect the alcohol on the first sip and after that it's gonzo - THAT'S what makes this beer so impressive from a technical standpoint. This is also the beer that taught me what it means for a beer to have a creamy mouthfeel - I could just let this one roll around on my tongue for days.

I'm glad this beer only comes around once a year - if it were always available, I'd either take it for granted, or spend WAY too much money on beer. Yes it's overpriced but I'm not here to review the economics of it - I'm here for the ale. Makes a fantastic occasional treat.

Do I like Abrasive more than Hopslam? Probably - but I can really only do one Abrasive at a time before it just gets to be too much for me... Hopslam is dangerously smooth - I could drink a lot of these.

2.5/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't get it. Bitter with a cardboard like after taste.

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.