Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Ratings: 13,053 |  Reviews: 3,530

4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

2.87/5  rDev -35.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, packaged on 1/11.

A: Very nice orange color. Clear with little sediment. Catches the light nicely.

S: This is where the beer began to disappoint. I pick up an almost vegetable-like odor, rather than the pine, citrus, or even hops I was expecting. There's also an almost formaldehyde-like scent lurking unpleasantly in the background.

T: I like the taste. If this was some sort of an American IPA, or just a regular $7.99 6 pack, I'd happily rate this higher. A nice balance of hops and fruit up front. Unfortunately, as I experience with Two-Hearted, there is the hint of a REALLY bad taste at the end. Like a really poorly balanced alcohol taste, reminding me a bit of nail polish.

M: Feels a little bit like cold milk, nothing extraordinary.

O: A relatively high quality beer. For all the hype, and a $17 price tag for 6, I was extremely disappointed. As my first review, also a little disappointed to have to disagree so drastically with a community that has led me to some outstanding beers I never would have tried otherwise. Bell's Brewery really just hasn't been in my wheelhouse. As referenced above, I always get either some off-flavors or smells with each of the 5-6 beers I've tried.

3.32/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

OK, and with this, I'm officially done with Bell's.

Sure I'll still pick up a sixer of Oberon in the summer, but I'll never expend any special effort, or get my hopes up to try a Bell's beer again. Much like Two-hearted and Expedition, this is a perfectly nice beer, but a rating of 100???? Give me an effin break! I know everyone's taste is different, but I can name a dozen DIPAs off the top of my head that I find to be equal or superior to Hopslam. But, I suppose I owe it the courtesy to at least get into the specific reasons for my disappointment.

A: Fine. Nothing special, nothing inadequate. A modest head. A somewhat lighter orange cast than I would have expected from a beer rumored to be so flavorful.

S: The first sign that I was going to be disappointed. I can't think of any word to describe it but bland. A bit of citrus, a bit of pine, but nothing memorable.

T: Again, nothing distinctive. A sweetness that I suppose might have been the honey, but it tasted more like unbalanced alcohol to me. I've read reviews where people wax rhapsodic over the big, bold, punch you in the face citrus notes. Well, I guess they must have gotten all of mine.

M: A bit on the slick side. No real carbonation or sparkle. Again, the sense that there was more alcohol than they knew what to do with.

O: Meh. Again, not a bad beer by any stretch, but it doesn't come a country mile within living up to its hype. But, as mentioned above, that's been my response to most Bell's products, so maybe it's just me. For those who fight over this every year, you'll be happy to know you have one less person to compete with.

And just for the record, the bottle I just drank was packaged 1/16/14 -- or less than two weeks ago. So, it's not like there was any drop off -- or if there was in that short a time, shame on Bell's.

3.5/5  rDev -21%

3.75/5  rDev -15.3%

4.1/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Spent most of the weekend trying to secure a few six packs of this year's release of Hopslam. I let it sit in the fridge a few days before giving it a whirl. Poured a hazy golden color typical of American IPAs. Smell was terrific with the hops overtaking everything else which is expected. Front end was fantastic with the abundance of hops and bitterness. Thought the back end was a little too sweet for me but guess that is where the honey comes in. It was great to finally try this beer since I have heard about it for quite some time. I expected a lot more from this beer and that was probably due to the hassle getting ahold of it and the hype surrounding Hopslam. Overall it was a great IPA, one that I could drink regularly. It wasn't the best IPA I have tried but it was certainly one that I would order. Not sure if the $18.99 per six pack and the hassle acquiring the beer were worth it in the end.

3.77/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

The amount of trouble and dollars i went through to get a six pack of this particular nectar generated high expectations. Hopslam is good but not great. In my experience, the honey impartment blurred the hop intensity. Mouthfeel is spot on and the 10% is hardly noticeable. Kudos for this. That a brewer can generate this type of excitement: double kudos. For me the beer not only doesnt live up to the hype, i can probaly find two or three readily available brews at a more approachable price that deliver more. But i can also see how this appeals to many afficianados due to its subtleties and present hoppiness. Could probably be a great introductory example for those who want a big sweetish Iipa on occasion. Maybe i am just cranky that i had to monitor a beer store's twitter feed to score some of this ...

4.68/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Golden tan/yellow. very white foamy 1 inch head, plenty of lacing.

Smell - Strong hops, pineapple, honey, lemon, orange, grapefruit, some sweet malts and some sugars.

Taste - Starts out very grapefruit and pineapple forward, but with a nice lemon and honey flavored background. Lots of orange and some citric notes. Sweet sugars mixed with a decent malt backbone round this out.

Mouthfeel - This is what really sets this beer apart. Sweet citric hops along with lemon and honey coats the tongue. Palate gets more hops, along with sweet sugars and a solid malt profile. The finish is incredibly smooth and hop forward.

Drinkabilty - At 10% the beer is so smooth and easy to enjoy. The hops are very diverse and are both sweet and bitter strong. Every year I have this beer I like it more and more. Only knock is the price. World class, a must try!

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.