Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

Bell's Brewery, Inc.
bellsbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by beernbbq on 04-14-2004

Ratings: 13,041 |  Reviews: 3,529

4.03/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I've been wanting to try Hopslam for a while now and was excited to finally see quite a bit of it in KY this winter. With allof the hype surrounding it, I went ahead and picked up a case of it. After trying a few of them, I'm not disappointed that I stepped up to the plate right off the bat. So, here it goes on my initial reaction:

A: Overall, it is decent looking beer, but nothing special. It's a faint amber color with a little carbonation. I slow poured it into a 12oz. West Sixth Brewing Tulip and was a bit surprised at the lack of head. Perhaps a more vigorous pour would have brought out a bit more carbonation and a thicker head.

S: A light touch of sweetness and flowers, but again not a huge overpowering aroma like many other IPAs I've had lately. Is the taste going to be as underwhelming as the nose and appearance?

T: Ah, now there is the result I was expecting. A very pleasant beer up front. Light touches of pine with an underlying bitterness that isn't overwhelming. More of a light grapefruit presence. This is actually a pretty balanced beer for one that presenst itself as a "Hopslam". The alcohol is muted for a 10%'er.I find myself instinctively going for drink after drink as I type this. Mmmm...

As the beer warmed, I found that the flavor profile changed and the hops became a bit more pronounced. I love it when temperature differences bring out the subtleties in a beer.

M: Actually, I find it a bit thin for its class. It could use a little more body to it. And, I get just a hint of a metallic feel to it.

O: Overall, a very nice example of its class. Extremely well balanced and very drinkable. Maybe not the best DIPA around, but definitely a really good beer for the money. Much more "drinkable" than many of its bretheren in the craft beer world.

4.71/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bell's, a quality brewer with National appeal. Bottle and cases were in scarcity in Philadelphia most of them selling out in a day or two from most places that were only allocated a few cases to begin with. I myself did not purchase the brew, but acquired from a friend.

Was interested to try this as I'm not a fan of IPAs but had heard good things. I guess it's been selling out for a reason. So no I didn't pour this one in a glass, so I can't comment on the color. And also I'm not going into detail about the nose other than it smelled along the lines of a typical IPA.

What I will comment on is the taste and the finish. The taste is excellent. Bursting with citrus and pine hops in the beginning, but finishes smooth. You can barely tell it is a 10% ABV beer. There is just slight undertones of alcohol. I feel a lot of IPAs out on the market linger too long on the tongue and feel like you are sucking on a 9 volt battery. This beer is mild for IPAs but complex for the 6 different hop types it uses.

Great IPA on par with my other favs from Flying Dog.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.