Hopslam Ale | Bell's Brewery, Inc.

Hopslam AleHopslam Ale

4.2

Ratings: 13,060 |  Reviews: 3,531
3.5/5  rDev -21.5%

4.82/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

-Bottle date 1/23/13 -

Hopslam's appearance mirrors the sheen of untouched copper... and after looking upon it in my snifter, it now resembles pure honey, with an almost imperceptible haziness, and a fizzyness that quickly wanes to a thin ring of white around the perimeter of the glass. The aroma is enough to make me salivate! Contained within each whiff are the essences of clementines, zesty lemons, juicy red grapefruit, pungent resinous oils, wild honey and sap. Scents of boardwalk shop sweets and flower garden bouquets enter my imagination. The hop's bitterness and floral aspects court my tastebuds equally, then a second later, a super-sweet tingle of honey and pollen appears on the tip of my tongue, as if it were a finale. The brew gracefully coats the inside of the mouth, and it's warming on the way down. Very smooth and velvety... Despite the high ABV and dry finish, it is the antithesis of harsh, for sure. A mimicry of other popular DIPAs, this is certainly not. To say that each sip leaves me wanting more is an understatement... rather, I find myself unable to believe this otherworldly elixir is really in my grasp! I'd imagine this is what the great god Pan drank in the unspoiled wilderness of Arcadia!

4.74/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at 3 Squares in Maple Grove in MN. Pours amber colored with 1 inch head. Nice retained lacing. Smells of sweet malt and fresh, but not sharp, hops.

Taste is well balanced...malt base is full and slightly sweet and well balanced with the strong hop presense. This was a very fresh keg, but prominent hops (but not overbearing) were crisp. clean and similar but not quite as sharp as fresh hops. Lighter citrus (orange?), and sweetness apparently from honey, but not sweet for the sake of sweetness. Overall, well balanced and royal.

This is a special Imperial IPA. Alcohol well hidden and very drinkable...almost sessionable. I proceded to buy bottles for future pleasures.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

3.69/5  rDev -17.3%

A nice brew, but not the best of the best even though I had to go behind the counter at total wine to find one. Biggest weakness is the taste doesn't follow the nose because it is a bit too sweet and dumbed down by something, either the honey or the malts or both. Not as "biting" as advertised, does not live up to the hype surrounding it, but still tasty and drinkable.

3.5/5  rDev -21.5%

4.39/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love love love BEll's Hopslam Ale! To me, the combination of the honey with the hoppiness creates a perfect balance in the taste. It is smoother than Two-Hearted, for example, and the overall richness of the flavors makes this a top-tier brew for me. The look is a nice golden hue with hints of amber (again, balance is evident). The smell is not enticing to me, the feel and, again, taste more than make up for that. I love this beer; you should,too.

4.26/5  rDev -4.5%

Love the IPA, my favorite. I let this chill in my freezer because i was in a hurry to try it. Cooled it to 46F. (Get a laser temp device, they're cheap and accurate). First impression on tasting was the hops, of course. The citrus and carmel sweet came after, but the hops didn't let go. I was impressed by the 20 proof factor, but wondering about how much taste that would hide. Actually, the crafting of this brew made the alc content undetectable. Yep, this one will sneak up on you. I compare this with other IPA brews that have the same flavor but with half of the kick. The head seems to go kinda quick, but with a flavor like this one, I'm good with that. Be careful with this one, young man.

4.85/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

bottled 1/9/13, poured into a pint from a 12oz bottle

Appearance: Light amber/orange with a 1 inch head

Smell: potent hops, grapefruit, pineapple, honey

Taste: very bittersweet, some grapefruit, rich caramel malts, honey, pine

Mouthfeel: medium light body, nice carbonation, very drinkable for 10% alc.

Overall: An incredible imperial ipa. Very reminiscent of Sierra Nevada's hoptimum. I love how bitter and drinkable this is. An outstanding IPA. I usually like them extremely fruity but this one is perfect.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Perfect beer to me, one of only two IMHO. 1/4 bbl Slim kegged on 1/27/2012, tapped today 1/28/2013 at my house - cannot get much fresher than that. Beautiful nose, pine forest and grapefruit rinds. Significant carbonation pops the scent of hops into the room, but settles quick clinging to the glass. Complicated mouthfeel, I know it is really bitter, I can feel it at the back of my tongue near the throat where it says grapefruit/lemon but the rest of my mouth says sweet honey and more subtle fruits like peach or that weird fruit pomelo. The final taste is bitter, but not particularly dry (because I am salivating for the next sip?). This is 10%ABV? Hides it very very well under that soft bitter bubbly.

yeah, a perfect 5, this is what it takes to get one of those from my tastebuds and my nose, and any brewery that makes complicated IPA's like this gets my upvotes and money!

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Hopslam Ale from Bell's Brewery, Inc.
Beer rating: 95.9% out of 100 with 13,060 ratings